Author Topic: Fresh Cafe Pics  (Read 5165 times)

Offline scartail

• Hot Shot
Re: Fresh Cafe Pics
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2008, 02:25:05 pm »
That's the sound I want!!!!

Nice vdo.
'89 Hawk GT, newly acquired, daily beater...
'76 CB550, was my daily beater... my cafe project...
'72 Yamaha R5, newly acquired project... donated to my buddy...
'67 Suzuki T20, still working on her too... Currently in pieces...

Offline A Grove

• Some people call me a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2008, 02:28:15 pm »
how much do you know about that exhaust? what's the thickness, OD, lengths, and how was it hand bent? i wouldn't mind taking a crack at making a set. i wonder if it was just curved on a jig and heated while being wrapped around. i have access to a hydraulic "ratchet" style tube bender but whenever we reached bending a tube 180 degress, it would begin to kink in the middle.

i know big exhaust shops have CNC mandrels so i'm sure you anyone send a CAD and they can whip one out in no time but for some big $$$
you have to fill the pipe up with sand and seal it so it can't compress.

That way is messy and rather silly.  We always use lead in our tubes when we bend things.  My father runs his own custom Bicycle company and does some pretty interesting things.

Offline scartail

• Hot Shot
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2008, 02:31:21 pm »
how much do you know about that exhaust? what's the thickness, OD, lengths, and how was it hand bent? i wouldn't mind taking a crack at making a set. i wonder if it was just curved on a jig and heated while being wrapped around. i have access to a hydraulic "ratchet" style tube bender but whenever we reached bending a tube 180 degress, it would begin to kink in the middle.

i know big exhaust shops have CNC mandrels so i'm sure you anyone send a CAD and they can whip one out in no time but for some big $$$

They kinda look like stock headers, with a short can. Can someone correct me?

Offline heffay

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2008, 03:10:25 pm »
from what i remember those are hand bent yoshimura pipes.

long time ago and many threads since then though.   ;)
Today: '73 cb350f, '96 Ducati 900 Supersport
Past Rides: '72 tc125, '94 cbr600f2, '76 rd400, '89 ex500, '93 KTM-125exc, '92 zx7r, '93 Banshee, '83 ATC250R, 77/75 cb400f

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
    • My 550 walk around video
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2008, 04:02:24 pm »
I've seen pix of this monster floating around and now the mystery is solved!

I LOVE THIS THING!! The sound, the tank, that tail, and thanks for the list of mods too.

Are those early OEM tank badges from the small cc Honda's? Had thought of doing just that to mine. I can't say enough about that seat either.  Oh, oh... and the wheels, and that fairing, and those Yosh tubes will put starch in your shorts.

Covet, covet, covet...................

1974 CB550K     

Help stop TORTURE and SLAUGHTER of cats, dogs, and other kept animals.                                                  www.animalsasia.org

Your 1%er name

A WORTHY EFFORT: http://www.honorflight.org.

Offline cleveland

• Expert
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2008, 05:05:41 pm »
"OK next time lets not do that with meeee behind the camera" HAHAHA...

LOL!!!!  I was going to post that.  I am sure it was followed by, "Why do they NEED to hear it anyways?!"   ;D

It look good, and sounds great! 

Offline rbmgf7

• 2>4
  • Expert
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2008, 07:05:41 pm »

you have to fill the pipe up with sand and seal it so it can't compress.

we tried that trick. when you're bending DOM 0.030 wall, it doesn't like to stay still. the thicker the wall, the more it will cooperate. i'm sure a mandrel type bender would be better.

Offline 736cc

• Master
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2008, 08:44:00 am »
  I showed the Yosh pipe to a buddy that owns a muffler shop, he's been building pipes for years for drag cars etc and he said whoever made this was a genious and very hard to duplicate, many hours trial and error.
  Pipes are made from stock CB750 exhaust flanges welded to same diameter tubes. To install and remove the headers, you need to forcefully spread apart the #1 & 2 and the #3 & 4 head pipes to clear the frame downtubes, scratching them everytime (I think thats hard-core and quite cool).
  Hers an old Action-4 header pic, it uses stock inside diameter header pipes, uses stock exhaust clamps and has very short primary pipes. Dumps into a supertrapp muffler. Nice 70's pipe, available for CB500/550, CB750 and Kaw Z1 only. Thats my old CB500 from circa 1977.

Offline scartail

• Hot Shot
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2008, 06:50:08 pm »
from what i remember those are hand bent yoshimura pipes.

long time ago and many threads since then though.   ;)

Aren't the stock pipes hand-bent as well?

Offline heffay

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2008, 07:56:15 am »
when i hear hand bent... i think uber rare, possibly homemade or made specifically by an exhaust maker to be used for racing or other specific applications, etc.
hand bent tends to suggest that there may only be one set, that the maker did this by sight and feel rather than making a replica of previous set(s) from a jig, etc.
so, no, in my opinion... hundreds of thousands of stock honda exhausts were not hand bent. 

but in the same breath... they kinda were too.  i'll give you that. ;D ;)
Past Rides: '72 tc125, '94 cbr600f2, '76 rd400, '89 ex500, '93 KTM-125exc, '92 zx7r, '93 Banshee, '83 ATC250R, 77/75 cb400f

Offline rbmgf7

• 2>4
  • Expert
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2008, 08:07:31 am »
yeah, the person that hand made that pipe, they was extremely SKILLED. you can tell it's not a concentric bend. then getting the exhaust angles just right to the collector. but that's not even the trickiest part. it's getting the notches just right in the collector. just look at the length of the notch. reminds me of the roll cages on baja trucks and buggies in the larger classes with things like a 10 point roll cage and numerous structural tubes feeding into one giant node. the time it took to notch them and then weld just blows my mind.

Offline scartail

• Hot Shot
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2008, 05:57:14 pm »
granted that there would be alot of development time to find the perfect fit. i agree with y'all there. but once a process is set, there would be a reason why an exhaust can't be massed produced by some good old fashion muscle. granted, they may need a jig to mantain some consistency. take tube X, bend it mark Y, let hysteresis set.. done.

any hoot, i am leaning towards the practicalness that most honda headers are machine formed.

to the original poster, i appologize for taking the thread off topic for a bit. but i really like those pipes. and they have inspired me to attempt to make my own, though the idea may not be so practical. again, kudos on the pipe selection.

Offline 736cc

• Master
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2008, 08:38:51 pm »
...maybe somebody'll nominate it for "pipe of the month" ;D ;D ;D

Offline jason teamshralp

• Enthusiast
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2008, 11:43:58 pm »
anyone what tires on the white house bike?

Offline heffay

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2008, 08:47:48 am »
anyone what tires on the white house bike?

???  huh?

Offline nobody

• Hot Shot
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2009, 08:09:33 pm »
This bike is what dreams are made of... *drool*

You said that tank is called a haberman? I tried googling it and can't find anything. Could you point me in the right direction of where to pick up one? Or is it one of those rarities that are next to impossible to find? I love the look of this as well as the Rickman tanks, Rickman may be hard to come by though. Also, is there an advantage to having no clutch cover?
74 cb750k

If life hands you lemons, make lemonade. If life hands you tomatoes, make tomato soup. If life hands you a box of hand grenades... well, now... THAT'S a message!!

MadMag

« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2009, 04:40:25 am »

SWEET!