Author Topic: Just brought home a fixer-upper '76 550 . . . and I have some questions . . .  (Read 836 times)

Offline Treeguy

• The power of wind !!
I bought a 76 550 . . . for $175. And it seems to be a collection of different bikes (I spied some yamaha controls on the handle bar) I took pictures and will post them soon. I am pretty sure I want to restore it to a degree . . . and will take more pics and update on my progress. A quick question, how do I know if its an F or K? The '77-'78 models had the F/K in the VIN & this bike apparently doesn't. It does have a 4-1 set up, not sure if original though. It has a cafe' style handle bar . . . and looks like someone was in the middle of a dual disc conversion (a brake caliper on each fork) . . . keys are non-existant (can I give the dealer the # on the ignition switch & get new ones made ?) . . . so can't look at the tank. What were the differences between F & K beside mufflers ? Is there an online parts fiche for this ? Thanks . . .
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 03:11:54 pm by Treeguy »

Offline OldSchool_IsCool

• Really feeling like an
  • Old Timer
  • WARNING: Objects in mirror appear to be LOSING!
This link should help you figure out what bits you have and if they are "F" or "K" and even what year they are.

http://www.sohc4.net/index.php?q=node/203

Most OEM parts dealers have an on-line parts fiche, but you need to know what you have first before you can order what you need.

Can I have a motorcycle when I get old enough?
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Lot’s of things. You’ve been watching me.
Will you show me all of them?
Sure.
Is it hard?
Not if you have the right attitudes. It’s having the right attitudes that’s hard.