Author Topic: Finally got the carbs sync'd...homemade manometer...  (Read 5942 times)

Offline dilbone

• Enthusiast
Finally got the carbs sync'd...homemade manometer...
« on: August 29, 2009, 07:14:12 pm »
Well it worked pretty well I must say.  I found some Miller M5 .035" welding tips on ebay for $14 shipped(which was way over priced but couldn't find them locally).  Got some 5/16th O.D. 3/16th I.D. hose and a couple T fittings for under $10.

When I first hooked it up I had 2 cylinders pulling the auto trans fluid right up the lines toward the intake and it took me quite a few attempts to get those under control.  I suppose I should have made this thing taller so I'd have more time to react when one or two get outa whack like that.

My next problem was trying to tighten down the lock nuts without completely changing my settings.  Even though the adjuster screw weren't moving at all, just the tightening of the nut itself would send things out balance.  The slightest pressure from the wrench and I had fluid climbing the tubes all over the place.
Any suggestions on that for next time???????

Here's a terrible video from my phone...
[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=" name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src=" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
I was finally able to get things tight and still in balance at least as close as it was going to get...the video was before I tightened everything down...things are a little further off than that now that everything is tight.

I had the idle all the way down to 800rpm and it was still smooth...very impressive, then I put it up to 1100 give or take 50 and it was quieter than it's ever been.

So now after having the bike since June I've replaced the plugs, adjusted the tappets, cleaned the carbs(and installed correct jets), adjusted cam chain, sync'd carbs, set points gap, and set timing(not in that order).

Now I know why you guys love these bikes so much.  If you treat them right and follow proper routine maintenance procedures they're pretty much bullet proof.
Thanks to all of you for giving me the information and confidence to tackle some of this stuff as I'm a newb when it comes to bike maintenance...much more comfortable and competent with automobiles...but that's going to be changing now...
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 07:21:35 pm by dilbone »

Offline scunny

• Old Timer
  • don't call me expert
Re: Finally got the carbs sync'd...homemade manometer...
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 07:27:39 pm »
well done, I must get around to doing mine shortly
past-cb100,ts250,cb500,cb500,gs1000,gs650g.phillips traveller
present-CB 650 retro
            VTR1000F3
           XL250S riverbed rocket
           TS250[sold]
           TS185[sold]
           XL125S[sold]
           MT50 (white)
           MT50 (red)[sold]
           KN250/XS400 project
           XR/XL250 bitsa under construction
           SL100[sold]
           XL250R
           pedal(pub bike) leaks oil
my gallery http://gallery.sohc4.net/members/personal/scunny

Offline shizzomynizzo

• Hot Shot
  • It's 5 o'clock somewhere
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 07:35:04 pm »
you seemed to get yours adjusted better than I did  ;) i found some welding tips at home depot that worked for me, and only $5. but still your investment was much less (maybe not as nice as) one of the pro tools.

In the end the job is done and it works and feels really good when you do it yourself too  ;D
1974 CB550
1985 XLX Last of the IH
2001 Street Glide

daredevilsadvocate

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 07:35:35 pm »
what kind of bike do you have?...

~dd

Offline Hush

• Finally they realise that I am an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • "Lady, I've heard it all before"!
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 07:35:46 pm »
Well done noobie, making a sync tool makes sense for these old bikes.
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

daredevilsadvocate

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 07:38:07 pm »
two other questions...what do you use the t connectors for? and where did you get your instructions to make it?  Thanks!!

Cheers,

~dd

Offline dilbone

• Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 07:44:07 pm »
what kind of bike do you have?...

~dd

It's a '75 CB550K

I had a nightmare when I first got it because it had 68's in as main jets and I took the carbs off 3 different times before I realized that.  Once I put stock sized 100's in it I was finally able to tackle some of this other stuff.

Thanks guys for the kudo's I've been reading an aweful lot around here and I see many of your names as having contributed to what I've learned.

Including the purchase price I've got about $238 in this bike right now(that includes a few odds and ends plus my manometer too).  Not too shabby...

Offline dilbone

• Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 07:51:23 pm »
two other questions...what do you use the t connectors for? and where did you get your instructions to make it?  Thanks!!

Cheers,

~dd

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=23038.0

The above thread has a ton of info about making your own.

The T's are required to get your 4 lines coming up from the bottom.  If you look at the picture closely you can tell that the middle 2 lines have T's on them, then the outer 2 lines come off of the T's and make the bend to the vertical.

Offline noobie dave

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 09:25:29 pm »
nice job.  I built one of those, but I must have revved too high on startup cuz the engine sucked water in.

so dumb.

I bought the cheap ebay manometers after that.