Author Topic: PROJECT BIO-HAZARD  (Read 89032 times)

Offline HedNut

• Underwater Basket Weaving
  • Expert
  • CB750...A Two-wheeled hellcat from Planet Kickass
PROJECT BIO-HAZARD
« on: September 02, 2009, 08:50:00 am »
It all started about 5 months ago. I found myself checking out a mid seventies CB750 café online….added that to my “favorites” quick links...started checking out Carpy’s site…dreaming a lot…and next thing I know it has become an obsession.  I had to have one!  I spent the next 3 1/2 months trying to track down the right deal.  As I am on a small budget, the bikes were either out of my price range (in good shape) or being gobbled up quicker than I could get there!  (It seems they are becoming more and more sought after)   I finally found a deal…although a 550 km drive away…sight unseen, I committed to buying a 1978 CB 750 Four.... the last year of the SOHC.  It was apparently sitting for “2 years”…and “I only parked it because I got a new bike”

Well, first off….the guy was quite the salesman (honestly..he had his own used car lot)….at first sight I would put it’s sitting age at minimum 5yrs…. Then…at first crouch beside it, when I got there…the side cover fell off as I breathed on it….okay.... But behind the left side cover….behold! Melted wires…..(and he parked this just because he got a new bike...right?)  no problem….a few shorts…anything is fixable….
After a beer and an hour worth of glory stories of him on this bike… he was expecting $500.  But thanks to my wife being there with an utter look of disgust at the bike….and a comment that went something like “I can’t believe we drove 5 hours for this piece”…right in front of the seller and his son….he helped me load it in the trailer for $300.  (Thanks hunny ;) wives come in nicely handy when you least expect it!)  It is quite snotty...but it's a good platform for a budget Cafe build...

I wanted a project…and a project is what I got!!!

I will try to keep the cost down….but in most likely hood will just close my eyes and enjoy the build…the ups, the downs, the side-step shuffle and all the bloody fingers!

After much deliberation…I will call this endeavor….

PROJECT CHAOS... (changed to Project BIO-HAZARD...in July 2010...cause it fits better now...lol)

It’s a bit of an inside joke between me and a good friend…it also nicely depicts the anarchy of ripping into a mystery bike that hasn’t ran in who knows how long, and it’s just a straight Bad-ass name!!

« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 09:16:01 am by HedNut »

Offline HavocTurbo

• Angry little bastard of an
  • Old Timer
  • Can you tell?
Re: PROJECT CHAOS
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 08:56:34 am »
Sounds like a decent find Hed.

What no pics? I'd think you of all people would've learned by now...  :D ;)

Nice thing about the 78's is that they are the culmination of all the updates in the K models. At least some of us think so.  :D

Best bet is to ditch all the old elecs and wiring. I started to tear into mine with the intention of fixing and decided that rewiring the whole thing would be easier. Did some checking and found that most of the tape/piping that Honda used was cracked and leaking water into the harness.

Enjoy the build. You have saved yet another from being lost to the crushers!!
'48 HD Panhead - Exxon Valdez
'78 CB550K - Fokker CB.3
'78 Honda CB750K - Mavrik
'80 Yamaha XS850G - Kanibalistik
09 XL883L - No Name

Offline HedNut

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 08:59:23 am »
Hey! Thanks Havoc-T!  I like the way you think.... RE-WIRE is in line!

Here is a couple of pics of her sitting in her Operating room....lined up for a lengthy surgery....

Ahah...

Offline HavocTurbo

• Old Timer
  • Can you tell?
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 09:17:04 am »
Gorgeous!!

I sooooooo would've paid $500 for it. Gotta love the female influence.  ;D

You need anything let me know!
'78 CB550K - Fokker CB.3
09 XL883L - No Name

Offline HedNut

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 09:21:59 am »
So....we'll call this ROUND 1....a little bit of time with a wrench n' screwdriver tearing into the snotty beast.
...first things first....what I saw when the cover fell off at the ol' guys house.

can anybody spot the "melted out of it's own home and took the harness many friendly wires and the rectifier plug...possibly the rectifier with it" burnt wire??... it's green from sitting on the outside for so long... ahah
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 09:24:02 am by HedNut »

Offline HedNut

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 09:33:28 am »
Thanks HavocT I just may be on you for some tips and thoughts! Yeah...I was there with the $500 for it, and definately would've dropped the wad without even blinking...but the wife came through nicely...saved me 2 bills!...so I took her out for some supper that night.....at Mcdonadls....I splurged and got her the McChicken meal...OH YESS ahhaha  (Kidding...I let her watch me eat mine....no soup for you!)

The gas tank was suprizingly magnificent on the inside... the ol' chapp filled her to the brim before parking it....couldn't even find a spec of corrosion on the upper side! CHEERS TO THAT!

p.s.... I actually did take the wife out to a nice din-din for that....after she cleaned the house.....ahah...I'm a dick....jokes of course.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 12:39:31 pm by HedNut »

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 09:37:41 am »
Wow very nice bike - very clean for a bike thats been parked for 5 yrs. Love those pipes - look in very good condition. Shouldnt take much to get it going.

good luck
Andy
Current bikes
1. CB750K4: Long distance bike, 17 countries and counting...2001 - Trans-USA-Mexico (CB750K4), 2003 - European Tour (CB750K4), 2004 - SOHC Easy Rider Trip (CB750K4), 2008 - Adirondack Tour 2-up (CB750K4) , 2013 - Tail of the Dragon Tour , 2017: 836 kit install and bottom end rebuild. And rebirth: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173213.msg2029836.html#msg2029836
2. CB750/810cc K2  - road racer with JMR worked head 71 hp
3. VStrom DL1000 2003
4. XLR650L 2006

Where did you go on your bike today? - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.2350

Offline HavocTurbo

• Old Timer
  • Can you tell?
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 09:44:39 am »
Yep- Looks almost exactly like mine did.... And mine ran!! Tear all that out.... set it on fire.. and sacrifice that harness to the gods of speed. Your bike will thank you!

I'm amazed at how clean it is overall. Nothing seems to be beyond repair (with exception of the wiring). I think $300 and giving the wifey the old 1-2... Is a great deal.
'78 CB550K - Fokker CB.3
09 XL883L - No Name

Offline HedNut

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 09:57:22 am »
Thanks guys!!  Sacrificing the harness to the BIKE GODS sounds A-okay to me!! I gladly welcome any ideas, comments, thoughts, criticism, directional advice...the occasional put-down and any words to keep me in line.  This forum is awesome! And I thank anybody for their input!!  You guys are what makes the world go round...and the bikes that carry our sorry asses along for the ride!
  Back to the bike....
Here she is being STRIPPED like a Burmese Goat at the airport!

PS...maybe somebody can PM me and advise me how to put a picture in...add some text..then another pic...etc... cause I'm new and afraid of messing up things...I only know how to add an attachment at the end....

Offline HavocTurbo

• Old Timer
  • Can you tell?
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 10:15:50 am »
Sending PM now...
'78 CB550K - Fokker CB.3
09 XL883L - No Name

Offline Toxic

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2009, 10:51:54 am »
Nice find and $500 was a bargin especially since you are in Canada like me and these bikes are harder to find here.

Where in Ontario are you?  Where's Hanmer?

Offline Toxic

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2009, 10:56:54 am »
P.S. you want to see some real "snotters" hang around this board some more.

There have some serious disasters brought back to life.

Here's one: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=55075.0

Some lads on here have skills.

My best advice is don't be in a hurry to get it on the road.  Take your time and do it right.

oh yea take lots of pics

Offline HedNut

• Expert
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2009, 12:45:04 pm »
Toxic!...True that... there are some Seriously SERIOUS skillz on this site! I'm overwhealmed by a lot of the projects here..and can only hope to get half as quality and detailed as some.    It's going to be hard to take my time....but you are right...all good projects take time.  As for my location I'm on the members map...but for a quick run down.  If you take HWY.17 West (417) out of Ottawa...drive 5 hours, you get to Sudbury...take hwy. 69 North...for another 15mins and BAM... the Hanmer hits you in the face....kinda...if you don't blink and miss the sign.  Ahaahhhhah

Offline HedNut

• Expert
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2009, 06:12:47 am »
Little update..... while I was at the PO's house picking up the bike... I kicked it over several times to make sure there was some pop coming out of the pipes....
 When I got it home...I slowly rolled it over a bunch more times.... I would say probably 15-20 kicks in total (all slow...nothing aggressive as I knew it was sitting for a while)
....all of a sudden, my ol' man comes over....and say's "how does it feel"... I say pretty darn good...it rolls over smoothly.... and he goes to roll it over.....and he sais....maybe you should do it...I don't remember my bike being that hard to kick.

SIEZED!?!?!

Any thoughts on that??..... I pulled the plugs and there seemed to be a bit of moisture in #1....but no rust or corrosion on the plug.  I put a bunch of WD-40 down each cylinder....in hopes that it's nothing serious.

But my question is.... why would it turn over a bunch of times... then one night...just sieze up??

Offline HedNut

• Expert
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2009, 06:18:51 am »
So I continued on other things last night.......

....here's a look under the seat....a ka-ka battery...a rusterific master-link and a small colony of bug carcasses in the tray....with some ol' fuses.
GORGEOUS!!!

Here's a shot of where one of the wires burnt to.... the ground at the coil....yum yum

a set of dirty boots!... hope the insides of these are clean....we will see....fingers crossed!

The quadriplegic pipes of glory!!! ahahahahhhhaahah  Love IT!

and there she sits......a low rider! BRAAAAP-BRAAAAAAPPPPP!!!

Man I can't wait to get into the gritty's of this project....and see what her needs are.....the needs of CHAOS! (as I roll....the list get's longer...but that's OK!)

Offline HedNut

• Expert
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2009, 09:14:07 am »
Teardown updates..... you guys asked for lot'sa pictures....hope you don't mind!

de-veining the ol' fella

the wiring came out okay....MAN is there ever a nest of that stuff in the headlight pod! On the floor.......

A nice juicy shot of more melted wires!!

Bleeding the RUST outa the caliper.....after she stopped bubbling air...I tried to build pressre in the caliper to see if it was siezed (which is very probable after seeing all the ka-ka squirt out)....and I think the MC is in need of a rebuild...as it wouldn't build pressure at all with the bleeder closed and the res. full of fluid.

at least these look somewhat clean!?....

Offline HedNut

• Expert
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2009, 09:36:56 am »
Diving into the goodies....I got excited and.....

the motor lost it's load all over the floor....ahah... I'm such a dumbass...in the heat of the moment...i forgot to drain the engine first....

the left side mag. and shift mechanism.....nifty stuff!

This is the first streetbike engine I've ever gone into...and I like it.....so far! hahah

A complimentary crusty shot!!!

Offline Toxic

• Expert
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2009, 09:43:41 am »
Great progress.

... and you think the insides of the carbs will be clean because?????????????

Best of luck with that ;D

It's OK to be an optimist.

Keep the pics coming.

I still say you got an awesome deal on that bike.

Offline grumburg

• Expert
  • 74550, 76400F, 72 750 67S90, 68CL90, 65 s65 66 x6
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2009, 11:11:49 am »
So I continued on other things last night.......

....here's a look under the seat....a ka-ka battery...a rusterific master-link and a small colony of bug carcasses in the tray....with some ol' fuses.
GORGEOUS!!!

Here's a shot of where one of the wires burnt to.... the ground at the coil....yum yum

a set of dirty boots!... hope the insides of these are clean....we will see....fingers crossed!

The quadriplegic pipes of glory!!! ahahahahhhhaahah  Love IT!

and there she sits......a low rider! BRAAAAP-BRAAAAAAPPPPP!!!

Man I can't wait to get into the gritty's of this project....and see what her needs are.....the needs of CHAOS! (as I roll....the list get's longer...but that's OK!)

Reminds me when I brought my 550k0 home. Next morning, garage was full of yellowjackets that had taken up residency in the airbox. Used Raid for my first carb clean.
Fonda Honda

Offline HavocTurbo

• Old Timer
  • Can you tell?
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2009, 11:12:31 am »
Could have been "fluid" pressure making it hard to turn over.... or you knocked off lots of rust from the cylinders and the rings are sticking. Or.....

Lots of stuff.

From what I can see so far the wiring looks like classic crap. Mine looked like that, and every honda I have pulled from a garage or barn after sitting for "only 2 years" seems to be corroded and melted beyond repair.

With the exception of my Barn Burner. That seems to defy all logic.

At least with Yamaha's that you rescue they give you the illusion that everything is ok.... until they just die for no reason and then you find everything melted down into putty.

Keep the pics coming. Always good to document incase you forget. I'm anxious to see the inside of the carbs too.  :D Prolly spotless like my 450's were.  ;)
'78 CB550K - Fokker CB.3
09 XL883L - No Name

Offline HedNut

• Expert
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2009, 01:10:09 pm »
Yess...I'm anxious and scared to see the insides of the carbs... it's like opening a present from your senial grandmother.... will it be a fantastic set of golf clubs...or a pink nitted sweater that gives you hives when you put it on....and cost you more money in pills and ointments than a trip to the furniture store with your wife!

Toxic - I'm just praying...praying I can eat off the floats...ahah  :-\

Havoc-T - I'm just praying....praying they are like your 450's...that would be too cool.

Grumburg....that's just damned crazy! Ahah...how'd the raid work for getting those carbs shined up anyways??.... could be onto something .... my wife is terrified of them... and if I told her the I've turned the bike into a virtual Bee/Yellow Jacket repeller....i may just get lucky.  ;D

Thanks guys!!  More to come soon!

Offline grumburg

• Expert
  • 74550, 76400F, 72 750 67S90, 68CL90, 65 s65 66 x6
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2009, 03:56:50 pm »
Grumburg....that's just damned crazy! Ahah...how'd the raid work for getting those carbs shined up anyways??.... could be onto something .... my wife is terrified of them... and if I told her the I've turned the bike into a virtual Bee/Yellow Jacket repeller....i may just get lucky. 

Didn't do @$*# for carbs, but you could hit 'em from 20 feet away. Wife is deathly allergic to be stings, so failed to see the humor.
Fonda Honda

Offline HedNut

• Expert
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2009, 06:26:17 am »
Ouch....I could see how the humour would fail to amuse in that situation.  Glad nobody got hurt!!!  Wheeew

Offline HedNut

• Expert
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2009, 06:33:14 am »
Alright... here's some more random pics of Round 3 in the garage.

Yanking off the quad's...

a quartet du Brapppp-Brrraaap

Pile-O-Honda....most of the parts that have been removed.

...the starter actually looked well preserved sitting inside its cozy lil' den.

this sprocket is as crusty as 31 year old toast...well seasoned

« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 06:35:12 am by HedNut »

Offline HedNut

• Expert
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2009, 06:45:22 am »
Here's some shot's looking in the exhaust ports....anybody have some good diagnostic thinking!?

This is looking in #4 Cylinder (which is on the right hand side...right!?)

#3 Cylinder...decent burn...looks like a leaky valve seal maybe?

#2 Cylinder.....hmm...are those white areas hot spots??......

and #1 Cylinder......this just doesn't look good at all.... definately some moisture in there.....and are those metal chunks!?  :o

After seeing KB02's build...and the state of his cylinders at the beginning...I suppose I can't be too worried! He's made some magic with that bike!!

;
Honda