Author Topic: Master cylinder snap ring trick  (Read 5457 times)

Offline mgbgt89

• Hot Shot
Master cylinder snap ring trick
« on: September 04, 2009, 03:55:38 pm »
After rebuilding the master cylinders on both of my bikes i've got a helpful hint to share. The first time i borrowed a friend's very nice, expensive channel lock brand snap ring pliers. They had removable tips which did not reach the snap ring. I had to replace them with filed down finishing nails, which worked, just not that great.

I found out today on the second bike that the dirt cheap, crappy snap ring pliers that i got on sale from harbor freight a while back fit down there perfectly. The jaws are so long and thin i wouldn't trust them not to bend on any snap ring heavier than the one in our masters. But boy was i happy when they worked. Best 3.99 i've spent at that store.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=3316

You can't do every job with nice name brand tools!

Offline Helmet Hair

Re: Master cylinder snap ring trick
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 12:59:38 am »
I had a similar problem with my MC rebuild, luckily I have a bench grinder and was able to profile the plier noses on that to suit the very restrictive recess around the MC piston shaft

Offline myoldcb200

Re: Master cylinder snap ring trick
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 02:52:42 pm »
Not sure if posting in these threads are bad or not but I am just tossing out 2 cents or half cent whichever and only to help. But I had a devil of a time getting that thing out. I noticed that the main issue I was having was that I couldn't get the downword pressure to sustain enough as I also pulled upwards. So I took my snap ring pliers over to the vise. Laid them gently on the edge of it. Just to where about a hair of the tip was hanging over. And gently taped on it with a hammer to put a slight bend on the tip of the pliers. And I mean just a hairs length at the end of the pliers. Gave me just enough that when I did apply the downward it had enough to wedge itself underneath giving me the leverage I needed to gently pull upwards.

Hope this helps someone!
The bike I am working on is --->1974 cb750 k4