Author Topic: "Holly" CB750K 1978 --Project: Toecutter Zen Mistress  (Read 33228 times)

Offline motocyconomad

• Expert
"Holly" CB750K 1978 --Project: Toecutter Zen Mistress
« on: September 06, 2009, 12:03:11 am »
the begining

Offline motocyconomad

• Expert
Re: "Holly" CB750K 1978 --Project: Toecutter Zen Mistress
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 12:16:48 am »
this is my bike before I start in on her

the wiring is a nightmare

all the electrical is a nightmare,I dont want those glass fuses any more, time to get up to speed with blade style fuse box

I cant believe it's gone on like this this long

me freaking out on the mess

the stock stuff I'll save. the seat is fuct just saving it cause of so many cold wet nights in Seattle

now that is what i call rode hard and put away wet

Offline motocyconomad

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 12:29:40 am »

bumble'n around

here she is after I got the wiring harness all unplugged and the rear fender and lights

will be getting everything together so that I can attack it again with everything I need handy and at the ready

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 08:47:39 am »
   Don't worry, it's not as bad as you think it is.  Clean that dust and rust off there and it'll look 200% better. Same thing for the wires, clean them up and straigten them out and they'll probably be okay, unless maybe you were visited by the Magical Ass Rape Wire Mouse Fairy.
Just call me Timmaaaaay!!!

Offline Ogri

• Thinks he's a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 08:51:35 am »
What make is the exhaust ?  Any plans for it ?

Offline motocyconomad

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 01:26:10 pm »
I think that fairy might have had a visit

the exhaust is a "mac" I'm gonna wrap it with header tape and put it back on it sounds good i love it.

Offline bucky katt

• Old Timer
  • i am a pastafarian!
    • facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 06:24:07 pm »
are those coils Accel coils by any chance? theyre that "Acell yellow"
Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.
Mark Twain - Notebook, 1894

Offline motocyconomad

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 11:23:37 pm »
are those coils Accel coils by any chance? theyre that "Acell yellow"

yes,yes they are.got those when I did the digital advance unit, and they work great too.

Do0ki3 PWNS

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 07:36:57 am »
toecutter ey.. lol nice keep us posted.

Offline motocyconomad

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 07:54:10 pm »

everyone needs heros

Bubba

nightrider

Toecutter

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 08:00:05 pm »

everyone needs heros

Bubba

nightrider

Toecutter

And beer..... ;D

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline motocyconomad

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 10:54:03 am »
got some 29mm Keihin CR Special carburetors from cyclexchange today!!! they're on sale till 9/15/09!!! post pics when they arrive...

Offline GoatBaSS

• Could someone find an
  • Expert
  • To weird to live, to rare to die.
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2009, 12:40:35 am »
Good Get!  ;D
Leethal # 3046?
1972 CB750K/900CC Red Headed Dunstall, 1975CB750FSS Gone BNF: 1974CB500T, 1976CB750K X 2

Offline motocyconomad

• Expert
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2009, 12:26:39 am »
the CR specials have arrived I am now waiting for the Carpy swing arm and seat, I think I need to get hondaman to help me with the bushing thing and I need to order bearings for the hubs and triple tree stem. moving bike to a better spot for working on it (storage space people don't like me wrenching in the storage unit) my buddy George (who I met up with here) says he's got something... we'll go check it out this weekend or Thursday maybe !!!!they been working me 12 to 15 hours mon-sun so time is tight to do anything!!! shower.eat.sleep.work. George has a bad ass '78 CB750K that he races, it will be nice to have someone else around I think I am gonna need it. Cant beat experience, he's supercool

I wonder if this bike had CR carbs

I want a gun sling too!!!

at the very least a tomahawk holster!

Offline fasturd

• Hot Shot
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2009, 10:33:27 pm »
Going to be cool!
If you don't mind how much were the CRs?

Thanks and good luck!
13 in the garage and counting...

Link to my link...   http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=58422.0

Offline motocyconomad

• Expert
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2009, 12:08:28 pm »
I paid 715$ to my door step, cyclexchange ..pretty good deal i think

Offline bgfootball67

• Hot Shot
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2009, 04:28:58 pm »
Are you going to use the mad max fairings?

http://www.toecutterz.com/
Columbus VinMoto
Ohio Cafe Racers website - http://www.ohiocaferacers.com

Offline motocyconomad

• Expert
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2009, 02:03:10 pm »
I am thinking very strongly about it, I might even get them just to have them, they are very cool.

Offline motocyconomad

• Expert
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2009, 02:00:08 pm »
sunday i
went and got the bike with George and his truck and trailer. now I have it right here to work on and clean. after dropping the bike we went to George's house; he got his bike out and got on it and let me ride around the block... all I got to say is that, that is the fastest bike I have ever rode, super-scaryfast. that thing could probably do 200mph with the right sprocket. I rode on the back for a little, he scared the hell out of me. I thought I might die. after that I went home. His girl I could tell was super pissed, but was trying not to show it. He might have the fastest 1978 CB750K in Houston maybe even Texas. I would be glad to make my bike half that fast. It is sick.

Lucky supervises in the foreground

pulled old carbs, they don't look to bad inside.

that thing is outta here

cleaned a bit, think I am going to lose the key
start just have a secret switch and push the
button
got a new old harness and it looks differant from
mine I think i am going to make my own wiring
this is the thing that gets me nervous I hate
wiring, pretty sure I am going to go with the toecutter front fairing

Offline motocyconomad

• Expert
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2009, 03:36:37 am »
I am getting so pissed off, I must find my zen, I must chill out I will find a solution to my electrical ignorance.
need advice:
1. what kind of electrical components are best ie... reg rec fuseboxs???
2. is it really this hard to get the CR carbs in the boots any tips??? lube??
3. when I got 1 broke spoke should I change them all???

Offline Ogri

• Thinks he's a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2009, 06:33:58 am »
CB900F/750F dohc reg/recs seem to be good judging by other posts. There's a diagram somewhere on here showing how to hook them up to the CB750 sohc loom.

Use a hairdryer on the intake rubbers to get them soft and then hose them down with WD40 (I use light grease as it doesn't run off like WD) Doing it dry is like.....doing something else dry..not ideal. Have you measured the diameter of the intake stubs of the new carbs, and are they the same as the ones you took off? I assume they come as part of the deal and you screw them in to the forward facing apertures of the carbs (?) If they're the same size then it's just a question of sufficiently soft rubbers and enough slippy stuff. Make sure the hose clips are completely loose, the clip #3 inlet rubber in the pic looks pretty closed to me (assuming you haven't opened them all up already).

It is possible to replace one spoke and not remove any others, but you may well have to bend it a fair bit to get it in. I've never done just one spoke but I'm guessing you could take out the surrounding spokes to get the clearance. Whether you replace all of them or not is dependant on how much money you have, what kind of finished bike you want and what condition the other spokes are in. If you can afford to have the wheel rebuilt with nice, clean spokes then I'd recommend it. Wheel-building and truing is not always as easy as some people make it out to be.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 07:03:40 am by Ogri »

Offline george

• Back To My Roots !
  • Hot Shot
  • K8 The Project
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2009, 06:46:25 pm »
Hey Tom,
Thanks for the kind words about my scoot , but did you really need to mention that we rode 2 up ? :-* People around here are still pretty upset about that Brokeback movie , so lets clear the air ! We just did a couple burnouts b-fore my ol lady called the cops !!
I guess if you really want to test them we can tune the CR's on my bike , I'll show you how I think they go . Damn, they sure  are pretty !, dont sweat the electrical , we'll draw something out , and keyless aint a bad idea for real.
Also as I said , just buy mine , one to ride , one to work on !!
Look for Hondamans post about the rec/reg combo, dont remember exactly , but he made some real good sense, it should be there if you check out my post asking for help about the relays.
later, george
Found this bike in completely stock condition in Feb. 08. Paid over twice what my new one cost 30 years ago. Am trying to re-create the look of the late 70's Drag Bike styling.More later. 4-2-10 It ain't stock any more and I have no idea what I am trying to create !

Offline motocyconomad

• Expert
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2009, 08:54:08 pm »
I think I am getting a calm spirit about the electrical, have been trying to get the carbs on but I needed a brake anyway the battery box is painted and I ordered a nice fusebox,regulator/rectifier , rear disc conversion and master, allen head bolts for the whole motor, all the bearings, looking for a set of rear wheel spokes, next week I'll get progressive shocks and front springs maybe an oil cooler kit and shorter throttle and clutchy cables from motion pro.
I clean to build my gumption .....
I will take the pipes off and clean them and paint VHT black keeping can chrome
I think that there is a way to get my RPM's off the dyna-s or something need to research how that works. the goddanm screw for the speedo cable striped. the harness (or loom) I like that word "loom" that I got from a member here looks ok it looks like it hasn't been f*#ked with as much as the one I have has. goddanm that Vetter fairing !!!going to have to figure out where to put a horn the tab was broke or cut off .

my supervisors

Offline george

• Back To My Roots !
  • Hot Shot
  • K8 The Project
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2009, 09:18:43 pm »
I see progress , looks 100% better than my first viewing , gonna be sweet ! Them dogs helpin or watchin ?

Found this bike in completely stock condition in Feb. 08. Paid over twice what my new one cost 30 years ago. Am trying to re-create the look of the late 70's Drag Bike styling.More later. 4-2-10 It ain't stock any more and I have no idea what I am trying to create !

Offline motocyconomad

• Expert
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2009, 11:24:41 pm »
they give moral support the black one "Lucky" he tells me what to do he tells me what I need to clean and what to jump on next ... he told me I need to take the pipes off and clean the rust and put VHT paint on the headers but leave the can(muffler) chrome just clean it. Sometimes he give me hints with the electrical, not all the time though, he says I need to figure stuff out for myself.