Author Topic: Disassembly of gauges  (Read 61204 times)

Offline HedNut

• Underwater Basket Weaving
  • Expert
  • CB750...A Two-wheeled hellcat from Planet Kickass
Re: Disassembly of gauges
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2009, 04:28:09 am »
If anybody wants Higher resolution "vector" images to print the faces....PM me and I'll work something out for ya!

Cheers

Saml01

« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2009, 06:59:42 pm »
I just cut my ring at the bottom, at 6 oclock, using a dremel cut off wheel.  After fixing my gauges I used a worm gear clamp to secure the ring in place and JB weld the gap in the ring.

Good as new and invisible.

Offline westondc

• Wes Mantooth
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2009, 07:27:27 am »
Paint can opener works great to get the gauges cases apart without the need to glue them back together. also a fork to pry the tach/speedo needles is a big help. good idea to use WD40 if the needle seems stuck.

If anybody wants Higher resolution "vector" images to print the faces....PM me and I'll work something out for ya!

Cheers

HedNut, would you possibly be able to vectorize the images of my CB500 gauges? I'm trying to learn the vector image software but its sloooow going. thanks
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 07:30:11 am by westondc »
B.O.X.N.I.F.E. Hospital fund https://www.everribbon.com/ribbon/view/8352
Rider no. 115 on the 2012 SOHC/4 Honda World Tour
Rider no. 274 on the 2011 SOHC/4 Honda World Tour
1972 Honda CB500k1
1971 Honda CB350k3
the project http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=64499.0
Trip/Project Blog http://easterntowestern.blogspot.com/
just be a vagabond, living out of a backpack on a little Honda, cruisin all over the damn place....
"As your attorney, I advise you to buy a motorcycle. How else can we cover a thing like this righteously?"

Offline HedNut

• Expert
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2010, 07:52:44 am »
I'll give'r a shot!  Send me whatever file you have to my email (I'm sure it's in my profile)....and I'll take a stab.

Offline domer

• I got a bridge for sale, and it was built by a
  • Expert
  • everything is better with a bag of weed!
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2010, 09:05:12 am »
hey westondc.... i havent forgot about you...i seem to have lost my speedo face ??? thats what i get for taking it apart before i was ready to do anything with it. im hoping to have a vectorized image soon or as soon as i can find it... if you get one first let me know!

Offline HedNut

• Expert
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2010, 07:57:50 am »
As requested by Dakota....
Attached file..."Radio Active" Black & Orange vector
Cheers!

Offline dakota

• Enthusiast
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2010, 03:00:17 am »
Hi,
thanx Hednut
i've got to rescale the gauges, they were to too large
i will post some pictures later

Offline HedNut

• Expert
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2010, 06:37:59 am »
Hey Dakota...sorry bout' that.  That's where my computer-lack-O-savy comes in...ahah   I can print them on my end to scale from the initial program I use (Bently MicroStation) but once it's printed to a PDF (the file that my decal guy wanted to use) it's outa my realm of manipulation ahah.   Hopefully you can adjust reduction in your printer settings, if you can go by percentage....print out a draft copy...measure the Outside Diameter, and say it's.....4.7 inches... you need 3.5.... 3.5" divided by 4.7" give you 0.7446   So reducing it to 75% should get you close "slightly larger" by 10 thou on each side.

Good Luck! Let me know how she goes!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 06:40:47 am by HedNut »

jesus freek

« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2010, 11:15:02 am »
another...
Those look awesome! Would would look really cool would be this style and color with the old HM and the old school wing ;)

Offline BigBoi

• Enthusiast
  • It's a jungle out there.
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2010, 10:00:49 am »
What are you guys using to paint the cases? Regular Rustoleum flat black, semi gloss or gloss? I have to do a pair of K4's this winter. 

Did you guys use Rustoleum in a can for this or the spray type? Also for primer...what was used?

Offline mycb750k6

• "res ipsa loquitur"
  • Expert
  • Rocketman
    • photobucket albums
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2010, 04:41:01 pm »
Ya know I went through all this, separated the gauges using homemade tool, installed new gauge faces, re-installed and compressed the rings and all looked beautiful for about a month. Then the screw leaked some type of oil around the screw like you've seen on so many gauge faces. Now explanation for it. I didn't lube or put any oil in there. Looks crappy now. Just a word to the wise. Maybe use some type of solvent to be sure no oil gets on the screws or in the housing. This is what mine looked like just after I finished.

Offline Johnie

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2010, 06:31:30 pm »
The oil or whatever it is around those screws is a weird phenomina...I had it happen on my KO gauges too. But those are a heck of a lot easier to fix than the ones with the ring. It is like there is some kind of reaction when you tighten them down. Like you squeeze the juice out of them...strange.
1970 CB750K0 - Candy Ruby Red
1973 CB750K3 - Candy Bacchus Olive or Sunflake Orange
1970 Chevy Chevelle SS396 - Cortez Silver
1976 GL1000 sulphur yellow (current project)

Oshkosh, WI  USA

Offline mycb750k6

• "res ipsa loquitur"
  • Expert
  • Rocketman
    • photobucket albums
« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2010, 05:06:22 am »
And you know I was going to replace the screws with after market. They are around 2.5mm but the thread pattern I could never match. It's like a Japanese watch in there.

Offline Johnie

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2010, 05:46:19 am »
K4 - finished up the gauges. I did not cut the ring but decided to use the paint can opener method again. I just like the security of not cutting that ring. These will dress up the bike nicely. Now that the master is done for this bike I can get to the headlight bucket and get the wiring squared away. Then comes putting in the battery and making sure everything works...always a tense moment.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 05:49:49 am by Johnie »

Oshkosh, WI  USA

Offline 8 Track

• Hot Shot
  • 1976 cb750
« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2010, 06:03:54 am »
It's a little late for this comment, but it may help somebody...  When I restored my gauges, I worked the ring open as mentioned earlier.  To put them together, I turned a hole in a 2x6 on the lathe (mounted to a faceplate) that the gauge fit tightly into.  Then I wood clamped the assembly to the work bench.  That gave me a rock solid setup, the two halves were held tightly together and the ring was fully supported.  I was able to tap the ring back down with a soft punch and small hammer.  If I did this more often, I would've devised a way to set the gauge in the lathe, used the tailstock to hold the halves together and rolled the ring back in place.

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 06:09:23 am by twostrokecrazy »
My dog loves me for the person I try to be.  Either that or he's hungry.

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2010, 07:24:24 pm »
It's a little late for this comment, but it may help somebody...  When I restored my gauges, I worked the ring open as mentioned earlier.  To put them together, I turned a hole in a 2x6 on the lathe (mounted to a faceplate) that the gauge fit tightly into.  Then I wood clamped the assembly to the work bench.  That gave me a rock solid setup, the two halves were held tightly together and the ring was fully supported.  I was able to tap the ring back down with a soft punch and small hammer.  If I did this more often, I would've devised a way to set the gauge in the lathe, used the tailstock to hold the halves together and rolled the ring back in place.

Hope that helps.

Great idea!
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline dakota

• Enthusiast
« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2010, 04:20:43 am »
Hi,
who knows where I can find these chrome rings?
greetings,
dakota
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 07:13:28 am by dakota »

Offline ksmith0034

• When I grow up I want to be a
  • Hot Shot
    • Please subscribe to my motovlog
« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2010, 05:39:00 pm »
Hi,
greetings,
dakota

Are you talking about the beauty rings some folks add?  CRC has them for $29.95 (5th item down).
http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/chopper.htm
It took 10 years but she's finally done!
             ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓
Stocker 2 Rocker CAFE conversion

My YouTube channel HERE:
https://www.youtube.com/MotoCafeRacer

Offline wannabridin

• Patience made me a
  • Master
  • -Garrett
    • 1976 CB750K, under construction:
« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2010, 07:00:58 pm »
Hi,
greetings,
dakota

Are you talking about the beauty rings some folks add?  CRC has them for $29.95 (5th item down).
http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/chopper.htm

out of stock.  BOOOOO!!!
1976 CB750K, currently under construction:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=64468.0

-And if you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do...

Offline ElCheapo

• Hot Shot
    • Anubis Cycle
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2010, 10:12:16 am »
The probelm that I have had is, when putting the ring back on and clamping it with a nice round hose clamp, the ends at the seam do not stay down. I have done mine 4 times now and get the cut seam to look good before glue , but when clamp is removed I get real unhappy.  2 part epoxy I'm using is, is 3M DP125. I have cleaned the chrome ring and speedo/tach head with laquer thinner before gluing up too.  I am usually pretty good at this type of thing, but, I just cant seem to win this battle.... Yet.

I have 4 gauges that I need to do. Have lots of cut chrome rings. Would like to try your one piece method.

Would you happen to have any chrome rings available? I need 4!

thanks-

Bob

I will say that the ends will never stay for very long no matter what adhesive you use. I am sorry I ever told anyone to cut the ring. The solution on my gauges was to weld the ring together with a small wire welder in low setting and then grind off the excess. Naturally you have to mask everything when doing this or the slag will mess up your gauges. I park the weld at the 6 oclock position. So far mine are holding solid and I get no bezel rotation or loose components after 300 miles.

Another trick is that you could use a set of the chrome covers like Carpy uses on his bikes. They run about $35 if you can find a set. Glue the ring up again and install the covers. The cover clamp should hold the ring in place.

Hope that was of some help.
Contact me for affordable rotor drilling services at $55 each rotor. Same day service on CB750/CB500/CB550 rotors. Next day on everything else.

Offline Johnie

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2010, 10:31:25 am »
Put the restored gauges on today and I am pleased with how they turned out. No, I did not cut the ring just worked it. Not something I would like to do everyday as it is tedious work on that ring.

Oshkosh, WI  USA

Offline ElCheapo

• Hot Shot
    • Anubis Cycle
« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2010, 12:21:11 pm »
Should anyone want a copy of my previous files just let me know. I am not producing them because I was getting ripped off in the cost for production. While I am not making them I suppose I could lend out the vectored art file for non commercial use. Just hammer me a PM and I will be glad to produce the file you need.
Contact me for affordable rotor drilling services at $55 each rotor. Same day service on CB750/CB500/CB550 rotors. Next day on everything else.

Offline HedNut

• Expert
« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2010, 07:55:26 am »
Johnie! Those are pristine!!!  Fantastic job man!!  Wow.....

Mine hit more on the "tattered-bad ass" edge of rebuild...ahah  But I like the turnout for my budget build...she won't be a show bike by any means...
Here's a few shots! (pardon the lack of photo quality)

The internals...adding the halo Led lights....

Back together....hangin' under the shade of the majestic fake foliage...

a bad attempt at photographing the Tach illumination..... the pic doesn't do it justice...

and a Speedo pic... I'll try to take some better ones tonight!

Cheers!

Offline wannabridin

• Patience made me a
  • Master
  • -Garrett
    • 1976 CB750K, under construction:
« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2010, 08:04:41 am »
looks good brendan!!  what color did you paint the reflector surface??
1976 CB750K, currently under construction:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=64468.0

-And if you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do...

Offline HedNut

• Expert
« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2010, 09:24:34 am »
Thanks WannaB! If the reflector is the "sleeve" part that slides in the outer body of the upper gauge...I painted the top rim red (that you can see bordering the gauge face)....and left the rest original.

Is that the right part?? Or am I tarded'?