Author Topic: How about a paint color topic... Color library?  (Read 38473 times)

Offline Jonesy

• Shop Rat
  • Old Timer
  • "Damn! These HM300 Pipes Are Expensive!!!"
How about a paint color topic... Color library?
« on: December 03, 2005, 02:15:40 pm »
Steve's gauges/clocks thread inspired me to start this. If this is already available elsewhere, please let me know!

I've seen many people inquire about what the different paint colors looked like. I scoured the net and found as many pics as I could, some professionally done, some off of eBay, etc. I started with the K models, but we can add the other types as well.

According to many references, the K model colors offered (at least in the US) were:
  • Candy Ruby Red
  • Candy Blue Green
  • Candy Gold
  • Valley Green Metallic
  • Candy Garnet Brown
  • Brier Brown Metallic
  • Flake Sunrise Orange
  • Maxim Brown Metallic
  • Candy Bucchus Olive
  • Freedom Green Metallic
  • Boss Maroon Metallic
  • Planet Blue Metallic
  • Flake Apricot Red
  • Candy Antares Red
  • Candy Alpha Red
  • Excel Black

Additional F model colors were:
  • Candy Sapphire Blue
  • Sulphur Yellow
  • Candy Presto Red

Additional A model colors:
  • Muscat Green Metallic
  • Candy Sword Blue
  • Candy Polaris Blue

So, here's what I could find. Please correct me if any are incorrect or you have photos of other colors. (Many of these are courtesy of AFE Graphics)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2005, 07:44:25 am by Jonesy »
"Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing people out there having a good time on motorcycles; it makes me take another look." -Steve McQueen

Zane

Re: How about a paint color topic... Color library?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2005, 09:42:18 pm »
I like the idea of having an illustrated paint colour library.  It could be very helpful if it were imaginative and comprehensive.

Did Honda make a 750F (Super Sport) in Parakeet Yellow (like the tank on my 400F <)?

Great work on assembling the images - thank you!

Offline SteveD CB500F

• Global Moderator
  • Old Timer
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • TVAM
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2005, 02:33:49 am »
It was bright yellow yes - at least in the UK.  My room-mate at Uni had one. (CB750F1 1977)
SOHC4 Member #2393
2015 Tiger 800 XRT
1971 CB500K0 (US Model)

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2005, 02:38:45 am »
I think this is a great idea. It might be most useful if set up just like the speedo/tach's. List country, year, model, etc. so someone doing some research contemplating a restoration has some idea what the stock colors were in case their bike has been.. er, modified by one or more PO's.
We'll all be someone else's PO some day.

Jim Shea

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2005, 02:47:03 am »
Good idea. I think my 76F1 must be Candy Antares Red?

Offline Jonesy

• Shop Rat
  • Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2005, 05:39:45 am »
I think this is a great idea. It might be most useful if set up just like the speedo/tach's. List country, year, model, etc. so someone doing some research contemplating a restoration has some idea what the stock colors were in case their bike has been.. er, modified by one or more PO's.

That's what I was going through with my bike, hence the inspiriation to do this!

It was bright yellow yes - at least in the UK. My room-mate at Uni had one. (CB750F1 1977)

Steve, do you have any info about the UK offerings? Here's a 750 color offered:
"Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing people out there having a good time on motorcycles; it makes me take another look." -Steve McQueen

Offline SteveD CB500F

• Global Moderator
  • Old Timer
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • TVAM
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2005, 01:48:42 pm »
Steve, do you have any info about the UK offerings? Here's a 750 color offered:

I'm afraid not. My 500 is black!

Bryan Jones probably has a good idea.
SOHC4 Member #2393
2015 Tiger 800 XRT
1971 CB500K0 (US Model)

Hyseman

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2005, 02:42:50 pm »
How do I find out the original color of my bike? Is there some number in the serial that would tell me?

Zane

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2005, 05:53:26 pm »
How do I find out the original color of my bike? Is there some number in the serial that would tell me?

I might be wrong (in which case I'm counting on an old timer or two to set me straight) but I found this page of info somewhat helpful. 

http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorcycle/text/lubrtech.html

I say "somewhat" because the whole Honda Paint thing is difficult for me to navigate generally, in my (limited) experience.

With the two or three options of colour for most bikes, and a real close look around the gas cap and in the deepest recesses where the paint faded off underneath the tank, maybe you can ferret out a tiny bit or flake that gives the thing away.

In my 6 months of Honda (and motorcycle) ownership though, I have come to agree with many of the more experienced folks when they encourage me to do all I can to preserve the integrity of my original tank paint job. (From what I've seen, average factory original with just a bit of care and attention almost always surpasses any attempt to duplicate.  (An exception though, is when an owner redoes the whole bike right from the conceptual level - like cafe racerizing or chopping.  Then I don't think original paint matters so much - and maybe it even becomes undesirable in many cases.  I've seen some great bikes changed like that.)  But this is about original Honda paint ....... "Mr. can't stick to topic guy!!!"

Anyway, see if it helps.  (It helped me answer my own question (above) about Parakeet Yellow and the 76 CB 750 F.  It seems as if the yellow I've seen on CB 750's was "Sulpher Yellow" and not Parakeet Yellow.)  And now that I know, when I think about it - that Sulpher Yellow has more blue and less red in it that the Parakeet Yellow of the '76 and '77 400F's.  "Sulpher Yellow" is brighter looking than the parakeet Yellow.

It would be interesting to know if anything to do with paint or colour is encoded in any of the machine's I.D. numbers though.  In the case of my '76 400 F, there were only two colour alternatives offered (I think), and it would have been relatively simple (one would think) to encode that info somewhere.  Whether or not there was any reason to do so is another question.

I think energy expended in the direction of preserving and restoring these original colours for the machines is extremely worthwhile, for a number of reasons.  One thing that would be nice for me is to have the ability to check up on the validity of claims made by sellers of the machines, in their ads.  And once it's flying, and comprehensive, we can move forward to actually collaborating on finding and or developing the best possible replacement and touch up colours ourselves.  (Has anyone ever just called Honda itself about '60's and 70's motorcycle paint?)

What would everyone think about expanding the database to cover more machines besides the cb750 line?  Maybe the machines listed on the above "motorcycleproject" page could be our framework.....  We could start an image column maybe?

Just a thought .......

Regardless, I'm decent at web research, so when I get a few minutes I'll zip around and see if I can find anything that could be helpful to us.

Jim Shea

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2005, 03:34:00 am »
1976 UK 750 F1; Is this Candy Antares Red?

rip711

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2005, 06:25:34 am »
Here is an example of Planet Blue Metalic on my 1975 K5

Offline Jonesy

• Shop Rat
  • Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2005, 08:31:33 pm »
Hey Rip.. can you post a bigger picture so I can zoom in on the tank?

Anyone else got any pics of an original paint job?

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2005, 01:21:02 am »
My tank, though for I believe a K2, is original and in pretty good shape. I think it is metal flake orange? Can you use a pic of it?

Offline turtle

• Hot Shot
  • 1980 CX500 Custom
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2005, 03:11:22 am »
My son has a '77 K7 identical to Bowhunter's
http://www.sohc4.us/forums/index.php?topic=3247.0
The paintwork appears to be original, a dark metallic chocolate brown.
So is this Candy Alpha Red or Excell Black? His sidecovers have been replaced and we are unsure whether they should match the tank or if they are black? Anyone?
1972 CB350 Four
1977 CB750 K7
1979 Suzuki GT250 X7
1980 CX500 Custom
1980 CX500 Shadow
1981 CB900 Bol D'or
1982 CB750 F2

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Offline Jonesy

• Shop Rat
  • Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2005, 03:20:43 pm »
My tank, though for I believe a K2, is original and in pretty good shape. I think it is metal flake orange? Can you use a pic of it?

Bob, I think yours was more of a Candy Gold color, but Post it up anyway- It will be a better example that one on this thread right now....

Offline mick750F

• Expert
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2005, 03:49:35 pm »

Interesting Jim. Your tank has the graphics and badges of a US model '77F2-'78F3. Is your tank stock for the Euro F1 or has it been changed?

Mike
'
Glosta, MA
It's not the heat...it's the humanity.

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2005, 04:17:41 pm »
I think yours was more of a Candy Gold color

Could be, my wife tells me I have problems with my colors (among other things  ;D). I'll try to get a picture tomorrow after I dig out to the garage.  >:(

Offline grumburg

• Expert
  • 74550, 76400F, 72 750 67S90, 68CL90, 65 s65 66 x6
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2005, 07:06:08 pm »
Swaped emails with dondirtbiker regarding a candy kit for my cb550. Appears my paint problem is solved, but need some sort of stencil to outline the black cove. Tank was repainted yellow (painter apparently was paid by the quart). Don't have any guide for the size and curve fot he black.
Fonda Honda

Jim Shea

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2005, 02:59:24 am »

Interesting Jim. Your tank has the graphics and badges of a US model '77F2-'78F3. Is your tank stock for the Euro F1 or has it been changed?

Mike
Mike,
Good question! I was told that the bike had F2 decals, no mention of the tank being changed, but there are other F2 bits on the bike. I think it is the stock tank(did the later one look different?) in Candy Antares, I think the later bikes had Candy Presto red, but, do these two colours look different?
Jim.

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2005, 05:33:36 am »
Here's pic of my tank. It is not correct for the K0 and I believe it to be from a K2. Looks more orangy than gold to me and I always thought it to be Flake Sunrise Orange. Would be interested in what others think. Whatever it is, it's in excellent condition, little to no fading and only one very small, shallow dent.

Offline Jonesy

• Shop Rat
  • Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2005, 06:07:06 am »
OK.. I stand corrected. Bob, according to the paint color lists you do have Flake Sunrise Orange.

Now the only problem is, what is the name of the color in the photo that I thought was Flake Sunrise Orange? ??? Maybe the source of the picture I had gave the wrong date for that model. Here's where it's getting confusing. Oh well, doing the best I can!

Offline mick750F

• Expert
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2005, 06:13:38 am »

Mike
Mike,
Good question! I was told that the bike had F2 decals, no mention of the tank being changed, but there are other F2 bits on the bike. I think it is the stock tank(did the later one look different?) in Candy Antares, I think the later bikes had Candy Presto red, but, do these two colours look different?
Jim.

The same tanks were used Jim, just different badges and decals. My F3 has the same decal as yours but I actually prefer the F1 decal which is pinstriping around the side profile of the tank. The colors are different, the Candy Presto being a darker, deeper red.

Mike
'
Glosta, MA
It's not the heat...it's the humanity.

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2005, 06:43:39 am »
Now the only problem is, what is the name of the color in the photo that I thought was Flake Sunrise Orange?

Dan,

I can tell you one thing from experience, trying to accurately depict colors on PC monitors can be difficult and tricky. When trying to accurately display and then print pictures, for example, to do it accurately you really need to calibrate the monitor and printer. It usually takes some additional hardware and software to do it correctly. Then, there's the "eye of the beholder issue." We don't all interpret colors the same as the next guy..er, or gal.

Offline Dennis

• Hot Shot
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2005, 06:49:46 am »
Here is original orange paint, '75 CB750F.

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2005, 11:02:52 am »
Swaped emails with dondirtbiker regarding a candy kit for my cb550. Appears my paint problem is solved, but need some sort of stencil to outline the black cove. Tank was repainted yellow (painter apparently was paid by the quart). Don't have any guide for the size and curve fot he black.

The black panel insert was a different shape between the 74 and 75 models.  Is a tracing what you are after, and which one?

I have both tanks, neither are perfect.  But, they still have the original  panel outlines.

Cheers,
Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.