Author Topic: Anybody with a CB350K4 can do me a little favor?  (Read 1936 times)

Offline Raul CB750K1

• Old Timer
Anybody with a CB350K4 can do me a little favor?
« on: September 14, 2009, 03:11:18 pm »
Long time ago, before my CB350 cam chain snapped, the bike had a terrible front wobble. I already opened a thread about it but couldn fix it

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=26574.msg271920#msg271920

Then, the engine broke so I put it aside. Now I'm going to rebuild the engine and, while I'm at it, I must deal with the wobble of death. First I have changed the rear 4.00x18 to the original 3.50x18. I have also made sure that the swingarm has no play and it moves up and down freely.

While I was removing the rear wheel for the tire replacement, it dawned on me that maybe the wheel spacers were swapped. I mean, I put them just as they were when I bought it, but I don't know whether they were in their right places -plenty of ham-fisted things in the bike when I bought it.

There are two spacers, one on the sprocket side, one on the drum side. Both have the same inner diameter, the same outer diameter, but different lenght. Parts manual didn't specify the lenght.

Can anybody of you tell me the lenght of the right side spacer? (drum brake side) You don't even need to remove the wheel, just measure it. There is quite a sensible difference in lenght between the two spacers, so you don't even need calipers for that, the precision of a tape measure is enough to distinguish which ones goes where.

Thanks in advance

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Tryin' To Slow Down "Time"!
Re: Anybody with a CB350K4 can do me a little favor?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 06:20:07 pm »

Raul, I sure wish I could help you with this, but I just don't have CB350 (or a CL) around here to check for you. Sorry bout that. :-\
Member # 1969
PRAYERS ALWAYS FOR: Bre, Jeff & Virginia, Bear, Trevor & Brianna ( Close Friend's Daughter)
"Because HE lives, I can Face Tomorrow"                  
 You CAN Teach An Old Dog New Tricks, Just Takes A Little Bit Longer & A Lot More Patience!! 

Main Rides: '02 Durango, '71 Swinger & Dad's '93
                  Dakota LE 4x4 '66 CB77 & '72 SL350K2
Watch What You Step Into, It Could  End Up A Mess!

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 06:51:12 pm »
G'Day Raul, I can't help either mate, but I just wanted to say G'Day to you, I thought you'd gone for good. I had to laugh when I thought about those tire sizes, my new Triumph Rocket 3 has a 240 rear tire, that's almost 10 inches wide!

Anyway mate, good to see you're still with us, have you tried removing the spacers, reassembling the rear wheel on the bike with no spacers, and aligning the chain by sight, or with the aid of a laser pointer? That should tell you which spacer should go where? Cheers, Terry. ;D 
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline hoodellyhoo

• CB350F
  • Master
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 07:23:28 pm »
Glad to see you're working on that 350 again. You did such a beautiful job on the restoration and I felt to bad when the chain snapped. Got any new pics to post of it?

(sorry I can't help as well)
1972 CB350F (Back from the Dead!)- http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=20822.0
1965? S65 - Coming Eventually!
1972 CB750K2 (father-son project)
1976 CB750K6- (sold) http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=96859.0
1976 CB750K6 (sold)- http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=62569.0

Offline mark

• finds nothing amusing about being an
  • Old Timer
  • we're out here and this is where we are.
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 07:36:03 pm »
no K4 here, just the G.   spacer on the drum side is around 35mm....   about 10mm showing outside the seal on the sprocket side.

1976 CB550K, 1973 CB350G, 1964 C100

F you mark...... F you.

Offline Raul CB750K1

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 03:45:17 am »
Thanks everybody for your replies. In reverse order:

Mark, I'll check the spacer tonight. I'm almost positive the back wheel setup is the same in the K and G, but if you could confirm the part number of your spacers I could check with mine whether they are the same or not.

Hoodellyhoo, thanks for the kind words. It was indeed a painstaking restoration. The chain snapped, I learn my lessons -not to cut corners anymore when it comes to engine parts- and after being busy with my other bikes, it is its turn to put it on the road again, this time for good. I have even bought replica exhaust, shiny chrome. It is going to be a concours winner!
No new pics of the bike, the latest I post where just some weeks before the camchain snapped.

Terry, did you really get yourself a RocketIII? Man, that bike is impressive, but I doubt you can drag your knee with it on the twisties -guess there are not many over there- haha. That laser idea is a good one. I seem to recall the back wheel was a little off-center with the fender, but I put the blame on the fender itself having bought it used. Maybe I'm just "selling the bear's fur before hunting it" and the spacers are in the right place after all, but I have a feeling they could be the reason for the wobble. You won't imagine how violent that wobble was, at just 70 mph, and the stem bearings were freshly greased, tight, and the wheel spokes were tight in both wheels. Well, we'll see.

And Bill, thanks for chiming in, I know I could have counted on you had you have a CB -not that the GPZ is a bad bike :-)

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 09:00:25 am »
Raul, nice to see you back mate, mail me anytime if i can help!
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline ohiocaferacer

• Hot Shot
  • www.OHIOCAFERACERS.com
    • OHIO CAFE RACERS
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 10:42:29 am »
Wider spacer goes on the brake side if I remeber correctly.

Offline mark

• finds nothing amusing about being an
  • Old Timer
  • we're out here and this is where we are.
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 06:56:48 pm »
sprocket side... 42311-286-000

brake side    ... 42313-286-000

It occurs to me that one indication of swapped spacers would be a shiny(or rusty) stripe where the seal had worn - showing on the brake side.

1976 CB550K, 1973 CB350G, 1964 C100

F you mark...... F you.

Offline johnspeck

• Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 07:23:37 am »
72 cb350k4 here...

just checked.  i don't have a metric ruler, but with my tape measure or eyes, it's pretty obvious.

the longer spacer (approx. 1.25") is used on the drum side of the rear wheel, the shorter on the sprocket side.

Offline cb750k7

• Hot Shot
  • My CB AKA Charlie Brown...(K8 frame with K6 engine
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2009, 07:55:05 am »
Hi Raul,
Did you look at this site?
http://www.honda4fun.com/spaccati/spaccati.html

Cheers,

Jona.
Found real friends here !!!

Offline Raul CB750K1

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009, 12:09:58 pm »
sprocket side... 42311-286-000

brake side    ... 42313-286-000

It occurs to me that one indication of swapped spacers would be a shiny(or rusty) stripe where the seal had worn - showing on the brake side.

Just checked with my parts manual and the part numbers are the same. Therefore, I will check tomorrow whether the one at the brake side measures 35 mm or 1.25 inches -that is 31.75 mm-, roughly. They are about one cm (1/3 in) different.

From what all you have said, I guess I'm into a dead road with this, seems that mine are in the right place as the longer one is at the brake side. Obviously, the one on the sprocket side had marks of the oil seal, there was no way I could swap them. My concern was that the previous owned had swapped them, as they both were covered with grease when I bought it.

Who knows, maybe the right tire size and a little loosening of the swingarm bolt will cure the wobble. We'll see when the bike is on the road again....