Author Topic: Modern Day WLA?  (Read 1442 times)

Jing

Modern Day WLA?
« on: September 08, 2009, 11:16:39 pm »
I was wondering what types of semi modern bikes (1970+) out there look like the Harley WLA (Yes the one they used back in WWII.) I know the Harley makes this bike called the softail but ill be damned if I'm going to spend 15k on a motorcycle.

Offline Green550F

• Hot Shot
  • Nothing is as cool as that which you made.
Re: Modern Day WLA?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 04:55:47 am »
not sure. a few years ago you could still get a flat head boxer out of China...  Wish I had one. Under powered but cool as hell!
93 Kawasaki Voyager XII
70 Honda CL350 Cafe

Offline Uncle Ernie

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 05:51:50 am »
Why not just get the real thing?

You'd have to go to a lot of trouble to get "the Look" otherwise.  Unless you want more power / speed.  Just going from memory, but everything goes together; short squat jugs, wider than normal fenders, only a generator and battery underneath, etc.

(You can still get Chang Jiangs, but those are boxers, so I don't get why they were brought up...?)
Dude- your 8 layers are showing!

Jing

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 10:39:30 pm »
WLA's are like 15k on the market and if I had that much ill rather spend it on a car.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 10:52:40 pm by Jing »

Offline bucky katt

• Old Timer
  • i am a pastafarian!
    • facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 07:53:49 pm »
i do know that theres a shop called kiwi indian  http://www.kiwi-indian.com/   and they make enough new parts  that you can build a NEW sidevalve indian motorcycle. theyre badass, pricey but badass
Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.
Mark Twain - Notebook, 1894

Offline Uncle Ernie

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 08:07:24 pm »
$15K?!  You mean for a resto?  I'll bet i could find a decent runner for way less than that. 
If you just want an old look, a Kawasaki Drifter isn't too bad- although it looks like an Indian, not a Harley.  From a distance.

In addition to the various harley sites and the Antique Motorcycle Club of America, check Walnecks, Hemmings Motor News, and even eBay.  Also the various national swap meets.

Jing

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 03:20:00 am »
well they are like 8k for non running ones. They are really antiques/collectors now. Then rebuilding the engine will be a headache in itself.

+1 on the dawasaki drifter
+1 suzuki intruder
+1 on the nighthawk too.

Didn't know why i had a brain fart and didn't think of cheap japanese cruiser motorcycles.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 03:23:49 am by Jing »

Offline Uncle Ernie

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 05:51:30 am »
It just takes research, and you have to have cash in hand- ready to pounce.  However- old bikes do take more maintanence, so if you're not prepared for that- get the imitation.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 05:53:23 am by Uncle Ernie »

Offline bucky katt

• Old Timer
  • i am a pastafarian!
    • facebook
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2009, 11:10:37 pm »
It just takes research, and you have to have cash in hand- ready to pounce.  However- old bikes do take more maintanence, so if you're not prepared for that- get the imitation.

i know I wouldnt want to have a flathead HD for my main bike lol. little too much maintenance.
Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.
Mark Twain - Notebook, 1894