Author Topic: Yeah - my XS650 isn't done, but I couldn't pass up this new project!  (Read 3370 times)

Offline Tim.

• Master
  • www.DOTHETON.com
    • DO THE TON
Title in hand - picking up tomorrow evening.  I haven't seen it in person yet.

Story is one owner, sitting since the 90's.  Looks like 9000 miles.  Front caliper needs rebuilding.  Look beyond the dust... :)

Price was right at $1.20/cc

Roule comme dans les années 70...   Roll as in the Seventies...

Offline gregk

• Hot Shot
Re: Yeah - my XS650 isn't done, but I couldn't pass up this new project!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 01:00:26 pm »
Tintin

i think the odometer will read in km's.  So how about 5400 miles!!

greg
I don't want it to go like a motorcycle, I want it to go like a rocket!

Offline Tnutz

• Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 03:20:09 pm »
big singles are the #$%*!!!  I had thye chance to pick up a mint one, like unreal condition for 1400 dollars and i had to pass... :-[
2004 Ducati 999 mono posto.
-Full Termignoni exhaust
-Lots 'o' carbon fibre

1973 Honda cb500/4
-Motor Rebuild
-Has clubmans
-Paint is sub par
-

Offline Bodain

• Hot Shot
  • I love the smell of fresh asphalt in the morning!
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 05:35:16 pm »
I'm envious. The Yamaha SR 500 Thumper. That bike leads my list of most wanted. If you were a little closer I would be offering up trades.... The only thing that would make that bike better would be if it were the spoked wheel model. If it were the early model with spoked wheels would be worth a CB 750 and a CB 550.
2009 Suzuki TU250
2014 Honda Grom
1984 Kawasaki GPZ 750
2005 Yamaha Zuma 50
1974 Honda CB 750
1979 Kawasaki Z750 Twin

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 06:30:25 pm »
I had a 1981 XT500 dirt bike in 1983-87, I remember that the SR500 was derived from the dirt bike because road racers were putting a smaller front wheel and road tires on the dirt bike and kicking arse on the race track.

While I was never a fan of the SR, (I didn't like the "conservative" looks) the XT was an excellent dual purpose bike, I rode it to the Bathurst Easter TT Races in 1985 (a distance of 1600 miles) and it performed brilliantly, even after getting clobbered by a car when the guy (and his mouthy wife) did a left turn in front of me and almost busted my leg. His wife was mouthing off until I mentioned my sore leg and my solicitor, and he (the driver) almost punched her in the mouth to shut her up........... 

The XT and SR500's have a legendary status in some quarters, and the SR was built in Germany (or maybe "for Germany", I can't remember) until 1999, so parts should still be available, including a big range of aftermarket hot up gear. Good luck Tinny! ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 11:22:59 pm »
Been there, had a Paul Dunstal "Breathed" on one and that was a real blast---happily pop the front wheel in 3rd.

To tune 'em you need to buid up the inlet tract not polish out and some pistons disintegrate leavind a dime sized piece as the biggest bit left (thats how i got mine).

If you fit an "Open" silencer get some good ear plugs or go deaf!!

I had ignition unit problems at high revs but it wasn't a common fault so just didnt rev it as high.

You do know the starting procedure?
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline gregk

• Hot Shot
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 07:39:24 am »
I'm listening to hear the starting procedure.  I've got a XT 550 and it always has been a PITA to start.  I have the same high rev miss in the bike.  It's bucked me off a few times and I am not in love with the bike so am trading it for a 76 550 Honda with 2514 original miles.  i hope to hear the secret of starting the bike before I hand it over.

greg

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 09:04:10 am »
Ignition off pull in de compressor and kick a couple of times,

Ignition on set up white mark in cam window

kickstart at top, choke on and kick hard making sure to go all the way down so as to disengae the kickstart and it therefore cant bite back!

XT had point ignition SR has Electronic so must be different faults
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline gregk

• Hot Shot
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 09:20:40 am »
My XT 550 has electronic ignition.  Also has a compression release lever which is activated by the kicker.  otherwise sounds like the same procedure. 

greg

Offline Tim.

• Master
  • www.DOTHETON.com
    • DO THE TON
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 10:53:58 am »
One of my friends here has one (the only other one in our group) so I'm in good shape in terms of learning the tricks.

I hopefully will be seeing the bike for the first time in person tonight.  Going to get my best oily rag out and wipe off the years of dust and cobwebs to see what I have there.

In my research I'm still not clear on what years had spoked rims with front drum brakes if any, or what the first year of production actually was.  Seems a little fuzzy.

But regardless, I'm looking forward to it.  I saw one at a swap meet a while a go here with the mag wheels painted gold to match the pinstriping on the tank and it looked really nice.  Might do that and keep it stock, but will more than likely do something fun with it.

I might do something 'light' with it.  White paint, maybe even white mags.  MINI Cooper Pepper White I think.  All my other bikes are black, so something in white might be nice to have.

And man, are these things SKINNNY!  Going to be a nice bike to roll around the city on vs. my R75/6 or even the XS650.

Might go for something along these lines with it...  color scheme of the first bike but styled a bit more like the 2nd.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 10:56:49 am by tintin »
Roule comme dans les années 70...   Roll as in the Seventies...

Offline jeepurz

• Enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 07:54:26 pm »
http://www.bratstyle.com/custom/custom.htm

more inspiration, I had a 78 sr 500 the first new street bike id owned. crossing over from dirt bikes it was sweet .

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 11:26:55 pm »
Dont think any SR had drum front but was only last couple years had the mag wheels

Offline fishhead

• Hot Shot
  • Why don't you go.....Well, you know the rest.....
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2009, 03:49:51 am »
Anybody have any links to a SR 500 message board?
Quote from:  Vanna White

Photobucket slide show (Fishhead Big Brakes)
http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n130/dgfischer/Fishhead%20Big%20BRakes/?albumview=slideshow