Author Topic: Need a CX500 stator/pulser!!  (Read 2665 times)

Offline B.O.X.N.I.F.E.

• The Stumped
  • Expert
Need a CX500 stator/pulser!!
« on: September 10, 2009, 01:48:08 pm »
Getting our bikes ready for a trip and found my buddies CX500 has the dreaded dead stator and/or pulser problem.

Anyone know of a good used set?
1974 CB550

32 days and 5,536 miles on a CB550...

http://kerncountykid.blogspot.com/

and a couple years later, 38 days and 9,102 miles...

Forever West

... and all of it in a 4 mintue video

<a href="Not a valid vimeo URL">WWYY?[/url]

Offline B.O.X.N.I.F.E.

• The Stumped
  • Expert
Re: Need a CX500 stator/pulser!!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 02:30:56 pm »
Found a Rick's Stator on ebay with a bad wiring harness for 50$!!!

Any advice about the motor in/out procedure on this bike?
1974 CB550

32 days and 5,536 miles on a CB550...

http://kerncountykid.blogspot.com/

and a couple years later, 38 days and 9,102 miles...

Forever West

... and all of it in a 4 mintue video

<a href="Not a valid vimeo URL">WWYY?[/url]

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 11:31:30 pm »
Leave rad on undo all bolts(not forgetting shaft) and lower down to floor.

Under the dome nut that holds the water pump impeller on is a special thick copper washer REPLACE IT or suffer the water leaks! (Get the Honda part its an odd thickness)

Also you will need some "O" rings for water galleries as well as the rear gaskets and whilst in there its a good idea to look at camchain and tensioner as even with the "Modded" tensioner the chain wears.

When you re-fit into frame pour the first 1/2 ltr of oil down the rocker boxes ( one 1/2  each side that is) before you fill the sump or the cam runs dry and wears out.

Coolant is 50/50 GLYCOL antifreeze and DISTILLED water.

Any other hints PM me mate.

PS I was involved in many of the original Cam Chain mods and in the end could do the job inside the factory time!
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline 750goes

• Master
  • it will live
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 11:55:38 pm »
nice to know BryanJ, I have an 81Custom for my daily ride, and it is due for the triple bypass because of faulty stator charging coils....may as well do the chain and water pump seal while I am in there...
have all the new gear waiting to go in, but haven't got the inclination as it's such a pleasure to ride it..I don't want to take it off the road and be without...
although the 750 is running but not registered yet.....

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 08:58:31 am »
Water pump seals rarely go, despite what people say!! It's that damn copper washer as the nut has a flat side but the other side of the washer deformes into the splines inside the impeller where it slide over the shaft and thus never goes back in exactly the same place so water leaks down the shaft and out of the drain hole making it look like the seal has gone.

50% of the time you can turn it over and it seals but for a piece thats costs not much why spoil the job.

Like I said i must have done dozens of the cam chain mod when they were new so i found a lot of the problems and quick ways. (like leave the front pipes on and remove the collector box)
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!