Author Topic: Carpy's Exhaust In!!!!  (Read 11219 times)

Offline wannabridin

• Patience made me a
  • Master
  • -Garrett
    • 1976 CB750K, under construction:
Carpy's Exhaust In!!!!
« on: September 16, 2009, 10:11:53 pm »
soooo, i received a big box from California today.  i opened it up and WOOOO!!!  carpy's pipes were in there!!!  well long story short, they're great quality and i took some good pics for you guys.  sadly, my bike has barely begun, but i needed new pipes, so i bought these at the $400 price before they went back up again!  well, let me know if y'all want any other pics, of have any questions.  hopefully i can get the project started asap!
1976 CB750K, currently under construction:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=64468.0

-And if you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do...

Offline wannabridin

• Patience made me a
  • Master
  • -Garrett
Re: Carpy's Exhaust In!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 10:13:13 pm »
aaannnddd the baffle.  it just needs a little screw to hold it in, and it's pretty simple.  no wonder it's so loud in his videos!!

Offline oldfett

• Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 10:26:52 pm »
Are the insides coated to? I'm assuming these are powder coated?

Offline wannabridin

• Patience made me a
  • Master
  • -Garrett
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 10:34:01 pm »
the insides aren't coated that far in.  they are powder coated, in a good textured satin black finish.  the powdercoating can't travel that far into the pipe, so there's not MUCH you can do.  i supposed if you could dip the part and ceramic coat it then it could travel into the pipes completely.  it would be nice for corrosion resistance!!

Offline BLUE71TURBO

• Master
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 10:48:10 pm »
Place's that do ceramic coating for header's have a wand with a spray tip that coats the inside of the headers also.
I don't know if all company's do, a friend of mine had his done on his vw turbo motor.
Remember; Before you can be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid !

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 04:51:18 am »
Place's that do ceramic coating for header's have a wand with a spray tip that coats the inside of the headers also.
I don't know if all company's do, a friend of mine had his done on his vw turbo motor.
I've had 3 pipes done (Jet Hot & the old HPC) and they can get everywhere with the wand.
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline Toxic

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 05:12:17 am »
Nice.  What system does it use to mount to the head?

I can't see a lip on the very end of the pipe where is fits into the head.

Doen't look like it would use the half moon split keepers but it's not a spigot type.

Offline Henrik Vik

• The K2.
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 12:54:03 pm »
Maybe just a minor thing, but does it come with the japanese Yoshi badge on the pipe?
Have you fitted it to the head yet? Does it mount on perfectly?
The price is still $400 is it not?
CB750 K2 - Pretty stock...
CB750 F1 - Henry Abe 900 Kit

Offline wannabridin

• Patience made me a
  • Master
  • -Garrett
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 02:54:56 pm »
Nice.  What system does it use to mount to the head?

I can't see a lip on the very end of the pipe where is fits into the head.

Doen't look like it would use the half moon split keepers but it's not a spigot type.

there is a lip, it's like a larger diameter piece is welded on to the ends so they fit in the ports like a regular set would.

Maybe just a minor thing, but does it come with the japanese Yoshi badge on the pipe?
Have you fitted it to the head yet? Does it mount on perfectly?
The price is still $400 is it not?

there is not a yoshi badge on the pipe.  since they're not really yoshi's, they can't really have that legally i don't believe.  i have not fitted it on to the head yet, my motor is on the engine stand awaiting rebuild.  i will try to mount it up on the stand, to get an idea of how well it fits.  and yes, the price is still $400, then $65 to ship.

Just curious....steel or stainless (heard stainless mentioned in an earlier thread ........gotta magnet?)
Steve

i'm pretty sure it's steel.  magnet is attracted to it.  i'll double check tonight.  for stainless, it would be a LOT more than $400!!

Offline Beans

• I play with grease every day.
  • Hot Shot
  • 1975 cb550f
    • bean's place.
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 06:15:01 pm »
Their steel since stainless would cost you twice the price.   also you can order a yoshi medal decal from them direct but he can't put the yoshi badge on it since its a replica not a true yoshi.   they do look clean wish they made them for the 550 as well since I don't have a 750 yet.
Keep it shinny side up.

Offline JohnG

• Hot Shot
  • 1976 CB750F - original owner
1976 CB750F - original owner
1971 CB450
1979 CB750F
1982 CB900F
1983 CB1123F - Rick Stetson motor

Offline wannabridin

• Patience made me a
  • Master
  • -Garrett
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 07:00:07 pm »
Ya, they're def. steel, very strong magnetic attraction!!  And yes, if they were stainless and $400, that's the steal of the century!!!

Offline Beans

• I play with grease every day.
  • Hot Shot
  • 1975 cb550f
    • bean's place.
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 07:06:41 pm »
Just got off the phone with pops and he just orderd a manderal bender.  Should be here friday and he wants to build a pipe for my bike. He's been helping me out looking onlike for a good one but says he like the way a yoshi looks on a bike and said he wants to try and make one for my bike. He said if they made one for my 550 we would be set. But no one makes one that tucks under the bike like a yoshi.  But I will be ordering one for a 750 here soon since u can't beat the price. So I will have it when I find my 750 project. 
Keep it shinny side up.

Offline Bill/BentON Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ex Honda Service Manager, Cert. Honda Tech - Racer
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 07:12:32 pm »
Ordered one this morning,also have CycleX pipe due tomorrow,going to be fun,Calendar Girl gets Cycle X pipe,Carpyoshi pipe goes on 836 bike w Yosh rods and Mallory dual pt distributor,box swingarm and WM6 rim etc.Gotta dig it out this weekend.
BentON Racing Website
OEM Parts | Service | Custom Builds
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2009, 07:15:56 pm »
I am going to buy one of Carpy's yoshi's as well for my 1000cc beastie... ;D  Just have to work out the best way to get it down under... ???

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2009, 07:57:53 pm »
 I have to be honest....I do not like the quality of that finish. The pipe in the eBay pics has a totally different finish.....the pic of the purchased pipe looks Mexican Kal Guard. I recently bought an older Vance&Hines pipe for my FJ and the finish was the same....peppled/textured. I'm not looking to rain on a parade but it is obvious to me.
  Personally.... do what I did. Send it to Jet Hot for a true ceramic coating. I'll post pics of the FJ pipe.
 There is no way he could sell that pipe with a true ceramic finish for 400.00.....or 500.00 for that matter.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 08:01:03 pm by MRieck »

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2009, 08:05:56 pm »
I'll be ceramic coating my pipe as well as the pistons and a few other bits.

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline wannabridin

• Patience made me a
  • Master
  • -Garrett
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2009, 12:05:21 am »
Ya mike, i think I will end up getting it jet coated.  The finish isn't that great, and on top of that, I'd love to have the coating on the inside and outside for corrosion resistance!!  Now it's just time to find a place that cab jet coat!!  Any estimates on how much? :)

Offline Henrik Vik

• The K2.
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2009, 03:31:27 am »
Do anyone have an opinion, preferably based on personal inspection, whether Carpy's pipe is better than Yamiya's? If so, what makes it so?
I have to consider Yamiya's as well, since I am not getting any replys from Carpy... Don't want to come across as impatient, I do know the man is busy wrenching away like mad, but I would like to get a new pipe before the riding season comes to an end here in Norway.
So if anyone have an opinion on the finish, quality, design and so on, just let it out...
CB750 K2 - Pretty stock...
CB750 F1 - Henry Abe 900 Kit

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2009, 03:42:19 am »
The "carpy" pipe is all smooth bends, the Yamiya pipe is cut and joined after the collector to achieve the correct angle. I figure that the smooth bend pipe is slightly less restrictive or flows slightly better and looks better in my opinion.. Oh...and cheaper.

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2009, 07:27:27 pm »
 The V&H pipe I had Jet Hot Sterling coat (inside and out) about 5 months ago cost 262.00 including shipping. That was for 2 pieces. I'm sure the price for the Yosh Rep would be about the same even though it is 1 piece (due to the overall length). I always liked HPC more than Jet Hot but they are owned by the same company now. ::)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 08:05:12 pm by MRieck »

Offline wannabridin

• Patience made me a
  • Master
  • -Garrett
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2009, 07:42:05 pm »
well his earliest design was super nice, and really close to the originals, but it was a lot harder to make, and he couldn't sell them at this price. 

the yamiya's are good pieces, but carpy's look a lot better IMO, one smooth length of pipe with mandrel bends is a lot sexier and flows a lot better.

262?  hmmm, sounds pretty high, but a good price for what you're getting!  i called a local jet hot dealer, and he said at least $200 for the sterling coat, inside and out.  they ship things out to a place in AZ, but it's still relatively inexpensive.  carpy would have done it for me, but it would of been another week at least and another $250...  oh well, i have some time since the funds are drying up for the time being...

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2009, 08:08:30 pm »
well his earliest design was super nice, and really close to the originals, but it was a lot harder to make, and he couldn't sell them at this price. 

the yamiya's are good pieces, but carpy's look a lot better IMO, one smooth length of pipe with mandrel bends is a lot sexier and flows a lot better.

262?  hmmm, sounds pretty high, but a good price for what you're getting!  i called a local jet hot dealer, and he said at least $200 for the sterling coat, inside and out.  they ship things out to a place in AZ, but it's still relatively inexpensive.  carpy would have done it for me, but it would of been another week at least and another $250...  oh well, i have some time since the funds are drying up for the time being...
There is a lifetime guarantee against rust with inside/out. Those radius bends are expensive and the difference in performance negliable IMO. Tapered head pipes really work.

Offline wannabridin

• Patience made me a
  • Master
  • -Garrett
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2009, 08:57:36 pm »
i will def. agree with you about the tapered head pipe, i know that for sure.  i don't think carpy ever had a tapered pipe set up though.  maybe he did, but i couldn't tell from any pictures.  but i did forget about the guarantee on rusting, that's worth the price for sure!!!

Offline Freaky1

• Hot Shot
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2009, 05:21:07 am »
I'm looking foward to picking up a set of Carpy's repo, I like the looks and the sound is the real seller. I thought about going with the cycle X pipe but from what I have heard, Yoshi is more for upper end HP and that is what I'm looking for. I think it will have to be after Christmas though, a nice little present for myself don't you think?
That which does not kill you leaves cool scabs which turn into awesome scars.

'77 CB750F Come on...were almost there!