Author Topic: 1978 cb550k Four  (Read 1435 times)

swiffer

1978 cb550k Four
« on: September 19, 2009, 05:09:09 pm »
Hello gang,I have a 1978 cb550k Four barn find.The guy that sold it to me put 7000 miles on it new and parked it in his barn 10 years ago with gas in the tank.You know what that means .So it is a good bike but rust covered Also.I will give it a complete re-build.It wont be stock but close.

I have striped the tank a little so far and am i the middle of getting the pieces that i want to paint together but want to paint them all at once.The big problem is i need side covers.That is how i found you guys .I would be grateful for any help locating a pair.I did send the carbs off to the local speed shop for that electric sonar scrubbing thing.Had some other cabs done that way and they came back like new.This is my first post here .I have a re-built 1980 cb750k DOHC but that site don't want any SOHC talk so thanks for letting me on board.P.S. I bought the bike for $150

masonryman

Re: 1978 cb550k Four
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 07:57:02 pm »
welcome and Good luck 

Offline Lawdog374

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 07:37:01 am »
Your barn find is in a heck of a lot better shape than mine was, that's for sure.  As far as the side covers, you could check Ebay, I know some people don't like Ebay, but it is a place to start.
Happiness isn't something you experience.  It is something you remember.

swiffer

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 12:50:37 pm »
Hey ,Masonryman I have been a bricklayer -stonemason for 33 years.I am guessing thats what you do also.I like e-bay for some things.At least it is a easy way to pay with pay pal.I have been burned once but pay pal got my money back.Thanks for the advice and please keep an eye out for me.I did get this though e-bay .Just hope it is a good sealer.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290326646293&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:MOTORS:1123
 I wont use it all on the tank but have lots of parts that need rust removed so maybe the price is not so bad.

masonryman

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 04:26:49 pm »
Mason since 1987 I work out of Muncie local #19, bricklayer, stonemason, welder, Refractory. The company I run work for is very slow, so instead of being stuck on a job with 5 other foremans I took a lay off. I have been doing a couple side jobs a month :-X

I just spent the day changing motors in my 550 it should be back up by the middle of the week

Mark

swiffer

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 07:38:43 pm »
Yep i was in the union a number of years but started a residential homebuilding company and around here the union did not take on homes.My son runs the site and i mostly do the bidding and getting now.I have half the crew i had 5 years ago and it is not looking any better soon.But hey it is a clean living.It is good to have the benefits of the union.I still hang with  a lot of them from St. Louis and Kansas City locals and can not believe the extras they get i can not offer but thats the price of working around home all the time.

masonryman

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 07:42:56 pm »
Other than firebrick work I think I am done with commercial construction, My dad has an auto restoration and custom shop I have helped in most of my life, I think that is where I will be spending most of my working time in the future

High jack over

Mark