Author Topic: Rickman vs. Seeley  (Read 10560 times)

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
    • My 550 walk around video
Rickman vs. Seeley
« on: September 23, 2009, 12:03:17 am »
Although there were/are a number of frame builders it seems these are two of the most popular. These designs are (to my eye) similar enough to beg the question, which is better?

I'm thinking in terms of weight to stiffness, geometry, that sort of thing, but any relevant information would be helpful. Also, any comparisons to other specialty frame crafters.

Rickman                                                                                                                       

Seeley

I'm leaning towards Seeley for stiffness.
1974 CB550K     

Help stop TORTURE and SLAUGHTER of cats, dogs, and other kept animals.                                                  www.animalsasia.org

Your 1%er name

A WORTHY EFFORT: http://www.honorflight.org.

Offline bucky katt

• Old Timer
  • i am a pastafarian!
    • facebook
Re: Rickman vs. Seeley
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 12:08:42 am »
it may be my imagination but it looks like the rickman might carry a bit more rake in the neck
Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.
Mark Twain - Notebook, 1894

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 12:22:17 am »
I definitely prefer the Seeley, looking to the two upclose in 'life', the welding looks nicer. Rickman is heavier, did not weigh them but by lifting. For sure the swingarm is nicer too. Think the Seeley is stiffer by construction.
But overall like the both of them.

Rob
Better sorry for failing then for the lack of trying.

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 09:23:29 am »
When they were in production it was more who could supply first rather than which one was better!!

Rickman was bigger firm and went on to make all the Honda fairings etc in UK Seely was mor racer orientated and had a great track rep
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 02:26:48 pm »
the seeley frame is supposed to handle better , not having ridden one i cant really say why [if at all ]. allot of racers used to look down there noses at rickmans because their roots where in scrambling [ motocross to you youngsters ]  where as seeley had a race pedigree as long as your arm . for what its worth ive owned two seeley race bikes and hated them both !

Offline Ricky_Racer

• Master
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 08:57:29 pm »

Rickmans are purtier!   ;D  RR

I was put on Earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Now I'm so far behind, I'll never die!

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 09:31:01 pm »
the seeley frame is supposed to handle better , not having ridden one i cant really say why [if at all ]. allot of racers used to look down there noses at rickmans because their roots where in scrambling [ motocross to you youngsters ]  where as seeley had a race pedigree as long as your arm . for what its worth ive owned two seeley race bikes and hated them both !

wait a minute... i'm confused, you say you haven't ridden one (seeley?) but you've owned two. please dis-confuse me.  ???
1974 CB550K     

Help stop TORTURE and SLAUGHTER of cats, dogs, and other kept animals.                                                  www.animalsasia.org

Your 1%er name

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 09:46:51 pm »
some specs lifted from Axl's site for reference. Satanic Mechanic

Rickman

Wheelbase: 57.1-59.1" / 1450-1500mm (depending on swing arm)
Rake: 62°
Trail: 3.54" / 90mm

Seeley
Wheelbase: 56.5" / 1435mm
Rake: 62°
Trail: 3.7" / 95mm
Chain length (530): 98 links
1974 CB550K     

Your 1%er name

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 09:47:57 pm »
1974 CB550K     

Your 1%er name

Offline bucky katt

• Old Timer
  • i am a pastafarian!
    • facebook
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 12:11:12 am »
glad to see Axl's site still going
Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.
Mark Twain - Notebook, 1894

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 04:49:16 am »
 The drive chain adjustment system for the Seely is conventional and better IMO.
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 10:06:23 am »

wait a minute... i'm confused, you say you haven't ridden one (seeley?) but you've owned two. please dis-confuse me.  ???

sorry ecosse  what i should have said was i have never ridden a seeley honda 750 which is what i assumed you where talking about .

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2009, 11:31:37 pm »
simon, what was the issue with seeleys that bothered you? just curious.

not that one is on the cards for me but most fast G50's are on seeley frames no?

TG

Offline steam-powered man

• Not the eggman, Not the walrus, I am the
  • Hot Shot
  • Where are you going? I was going to make Espresso
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2009, 09:56:35 am »
looks like you might be able to remove the top end w/the engine in the rickman frame -
searching for a dr350se

Offline greasy j

• lanesplitting
  • Expert
  • non serviam
    • Dimale Painting & Restoration
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2009, 11:09:38 am »
maybe a stupid observation but the rickman has mounts for rear pegs.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2009, 11:41:08 am »
Rickman was marketed as a streetable kit, in fact they were often shown with stock pipes on them..

Had a buddy I rode with sometimes, had a Rickman Kawi, his head and speedo  numbers were grossly inflated..

One time we wound out in top gear, maybe ran out of room.. I asked hpw fast he went .. 125mph.. I said thats strange.. mine is reading 115 !
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2009, 02:39:26 pm »

not that one is on the cards for me but most fast G50's are on seeley frames no?

TG

hi TG
i had a suzuki TR750 engined seeley in the late 70s and although it was beautifully made it was very very slow steering . tried all the usual tricks , dropped the front , raised the back but nothing worked it still steered like an aircraft carrier . the only way i could get rid of it was to take a seeley TR500 in part exchange . this was a much better bike but i had an RG by then and it just got carted about ' just in case '  used it a couple of times but again it was difficult to turn . sold it to a bloke who only raced at the TT and he loved it , thought it was very stable and good over the bumps .
 seeley stopped making frames in the late 70s  all the fast G50s are using roger titchmarsh built replicas . i suspect [ but dont know for sure ] that the geometry of the modern ones is different [ pretty much everything else on them is ]

Offline GoatBaSS

• Could someone find an
  • Expert
  • To weird to live, to rare to die.
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2009, 04:32:08 pm »
Seely because..... ;D
Leethal # 3046?
1972 CB750K/900CC Red Headed Dunstall, 1975CB750FSS Gone BNF: 1974CB500T, 1976CB750K X 2

Offline john campling

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2012, 04:31:33 am »
maybe a stupid observation but the rickman has mounts for rear pegs.
My Seeley has Pillion Pegs but the mountings are also used as exhaust (muffler) mounts 
Seeley CB750 1976
BSA A10 Cafe
BSA A10 Plunger
BSA Super Rocket Street Scrambler
Yamaha SRX4
RE 250 cafe
Honda CB-1 400 '89
Yamaha TY175
Triumph T90 '68
Yamaha Fazer 600 '99

Offline Cabilao

• Hot Shot
  • Diving and Driving
    • Sea-Explorers Watersport
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2012, 04:42:05 am »
I loved my Rickman with Z900 engine. great for highspeed riding on the german "Autobahn".not so good in turns coz of the long wheelbase.had also passenger pegs and double seat.great bike.
before:
Kreidler RMC(50cc)
CB400N(first bike)
RD350LC(more than one)
XS850(great bike)
CB900F(wish i still have it)
FZR1000(too fast)
Rickman CR900(sold for a good price)
now:
Rusi 125
CB 125 CL(just for fun)
Yamaha XTZ 125
CB750P7(mystery bike)
77/78 cool 2 member

Offline Geeto67

• A grumpy
  • Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2012, 01:11:07 am »
The rickman frames have too much rake out of the box, makes them an excellent road bike and a fast track (read: long track) racer but not a good short track bike. Basically any place a Ducati  bevel 750/900 SS would be good a rickman would be good as well. You still have to set them and that means mods that are beyond show room stock. I have a friend of a friend who races a rickman 750 Honda in AHRMA and WERA and his bike is competetive but he dropped the stock swing arm in favor of a stock one off a 75-76 750f. This opened up the wheelbase on the bike (he felt that the combination excessive rake and trail and short wheelbase was a little twitchy). Required no mods to the frame as the rickman pivot is wider than the stock 750, but it did require custom spacers and a longer pivot bolt, an you have to machine the spacers on a mill since the need to fit into the slot where the rickman chain adjuster is.

As far as stiffness is concerned it is a non issue. Both frames are plenty stiff for racing work.

As far as both frames go, the rickman has a higher pain in the ass factor. The rickman frame uses a lot of proprietary parts (basically everything but the engine, sidecovers, exhaust, and electricals) which are really rare. Tracking down an original Rickman 42mm front end is going to be as much fun as a punch in the groin, and no you can't use a stock 750 front end. I have heard that there is a 38mm Ducati Pantah front end that might work but have you seen the prices on duc front ends? Also, the rickman frame is braised and nickel plated construction ( not welded). The plating is structural to the joint as it acts as a hardener for the joint. That means you have to keep it shiny and if it is a race bike you have to inspect the neck for cracks every season. Road bikes aren't ridden hard enough for the neck cracking to be an issue unless you crash it.

Since seelys are really hard to track down I assume you are considering the repop seely frames being made. Since it is a new frame with modern construction and materials and can be ordered and setup any way you want it def has a less of a pain in the ass factor than the rickman. My friend Kenny Cummings races a seely norton commando with one of these new frames and the bike is an unstoppable force to be reckoned with in vintage racing. If you are talking about an original seely then good luck finding one - it's easier to find a pecker on a cow than a useable old seely frame.
Maintenance Matters Most

Offline Geeto67

• A grumpy
  • Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2012, 01:27:43 am »

TG

The Team Obsolete g50 is an ex Al Gunter machine and I can't think of a faster non seely g50. Of course NOTHING on that bike is "stock" except maybe the engine cases.
Maintenance Matters Most

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2012, 05:39:05 am »
"Pecker on a cow" hadn't heard that one in a while, thanks Geeto.