Author Topic: Need help with an old timing light and tachometer  (Read 726 times)

Offline elquenada

• Hot Shot
Need help with an old timing light and tachometer
« on: September 24, 2009, 08:14:40 pm »
i picked up an old timing light and tachometer/dwell meter on ebay a few weeks ago for $30.  I just got to try them out today on my cb550 (1975) and had poor results.  Now Im wondering if I hooked them up wrong.

The timing light was kindof working but I assume its old and the inductive pickup is not in great condition.  I connected the red/black cables to the battery and the inductive pickup over the spark plug wire.  I tried different parts of the wire and got varying results; it flickered but not very regularly.

The tachometer (a analog sears brand tach about 30-40 years old) didnt work at all.  I follow the instructions but no dice.  I hooked up the black lead to the battery ground and the green lead to what I thought was the switchable 12V at the coil (2 spliced black/white wires?) but got nothing at all.  I think i made a good connection to the 12V but truthfully it was hard to get at so maybe that was my problem.  I have a Dyna S ignition system installed so I couldn't find a spot to clip on to under the points cover.

end of story.  sorry for the mini book.  any advice would be helpful.  I especially want to get the tach working because the one on my bike does not seems acurate at all.
TIA

1975 CB 550

"A veces lo que es contra lo justo
por la misma razón deleita el gusto" 
Lope de Vega

Offline w1sa

• Hot Shot
Re: Need help with an old timing light and tachometer
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 05:19:43 am »
How good does your engine run? What model bike?
Could it be that your ignition electrics are in a worse state than the strobe and tach?........spark leads and caps, coil/connections........just asking  :)

Offline elquenada

• Hot Shot
Re: Need help with an old timing light and tachometer
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 06:13:15 am »
thanks for the response. 

the bike (as it says in my original post by the way ;)) is a 1975 cb550 and its running pretty strong.  It could use a few gaskets but I generally never have electric problems.  The bike starts and runs on the 1rst or second try every time.
1975 CB 550

"A veces lo que es contra lo justo
por la misma razón deleita el gusto" 
Lope de Vega