Author Topic: Reminder: Always check the basic stuff first...  (Read 1096 times)

Offline Cvillechopper

• Is just pretending to be an
  • Expert
  • If not for my failures I'd never know my limits
Reminder: Always check the basic stuff first...
« on: September 25, 2009, 05:30:25 am »
So I've been working on the 350 twin for my dad for a long time now and have been having trouble getting it to run correctly.  There were jetting, timing, exhaust, coil, etc issues along the way but I've had it running for testing (about 10 miles worth of test rides and at least 5 hours of running in front of a fan) off and on for the last 3 months.  I finally get a set of good coils from a kind soul on the twins forum and start her up and can't figure out why she's only running on one cylinder (very smoothly I might add).  I test and sure enough, I've got great spark but the plug is wet.  Getting spark, getting fuel, I've checked the timing and valves at least a dozen times, what else could it be. 

It was at this point that I felt a total loss of gumption (if you've read Zin and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance that will make more sense).  Not paying attention I knock a screwdriver off my parts cleaner and bend down to pick it up.  On the way up I happen to look toward the bike and notice oil on the fins.  This bike got a complete re-build so there is absolutely no reason to see oil on the fins.  I scratch my head and just stare at the oil for about 20 seconds before it hits me...

I had made sure to torque everything exactly to spec when I assembled it but had not yet gone back through to re-torque the head/jugs.  Luckily the 350 is much easier to do this on than many other bikes so I grab the torque wrench and socket and find that the nuts are VERY loose.  The many heat cycles did what I knew they would do, just I had forgotten to follow up.  Tightened it back down and she's firing on both cylinders again.

Of course this means I'll be going back through the cam chain, valves, timing, etc to get her buttoned up but there was a HUGE sigh of relief when I figured it out.  Only wish I had thought to check the basics earlier...
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.  Aristotle

Offline Tretnine

• Prove it,
  • Hot Shot
  • Figuring it out, one expletive at a time.
    • http://www.behindbarsmotorcycle.com/
Re: Reminder: Always check the basic stuff first...
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 06:41:39 am »
Glad to hear you got it going. Never would have thought you'd have such an issue because you didn't go over it again.
http://www.behindbarsmotorcycle.com/

2009 Kawasaki Concours, 1978 cb550k, 2006 BMW F650GS

Member of the AMA

Offline Alan F.

• We remember the Night Rider, and we know who you are.
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: Reminder: Always check the basic stuff first...
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 08:04:20 am »
Wow, I'm getting nervous about my 750 now...