Author Topic: Alternator/Stator  (Read 4835 times)

Offline danielcgordon

• Loving to Learn
Alternator/Stator
« on: September 24, 2009, 01:58:11 pm »
I was wondering if the alternator/stator is the same thing?
I have an 83 Suzuki GR 650 Tempter...I was told I need an alternator but cant seem to find it on any schematics.

Just as a quick background:
I am left charging the battery on a regular basis, last week I tried to get up to speed on the eway and it died. Now the battery won't hold a charge and there is a clicking when I try to start it.

Thanks in advance to everyone

Dan
Dan

Offline 750goes

• Master
  • it will live
Re: Alternator/Stator
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 02:15:44 pm »
You need another battery...

you need to get some electrical work sorted out - it could be your alternator or regulator/rectifier....or bad earths...

search a suzuki forum or post some more information here, someone may help..

I have limited electrical knowledge...but will assist where I can

You need a multimeter...

Offline kirkn

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 02:43:05 pm »
Well, as far as the terminology:  the alternator is the entire collection of parts, windings, coils, cores, interconnections, etc. that collectively generate alternating current (AC) which gets rectified into direct current (DC) and regulated to charge the battery and run the bike's electrical loads.

The stator, specifically, is the set of stationary windings in which the alternating current is generated by either a permanent magnet (rotating either within or around the outside of those windings) or by an electromagnet, which is a variable magnet created by varying an electric current in yet another set of windings called the field winding or just field.

As for why the system won't charge your battery, well, any of those components can be bad, including the stator, the field (if so-equipped), the interconnections, the rectifier, the regulator or the battery itself.

Search search search for a step-by-step troubleshooting guide to charging problems.  They're on here somewhere...

Good luck, it's not really rocket science...  :)

Kirk

Offline danielcgordon

• Loving to Learn
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 07:16:29 am »
Thank you both, I had a feeling I was missing something because it just didn't seem right.

So the alternator is a similar collection to the charging system as a whole is sounds like?

Similar but with a few more components....

Dan
Dan

Offline HavocTurbo

• Angry little bastard of an
  • Old Timer
  • Can you tell?
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 09:35:04 am »
charge your battery.... get a new one if you need it.

borrow or buy a multimeter. start the bike with the fresh battery.

set the multimeter to read DC current - then tell us how many volts are either being placed or removed from your battery.

Good charging system should read about 13-15volts at mid rpms.

If your's is lower...(11-8volts and dropping) first thing I'd check is the regulator/rectifier. More often than not they go bad on the older suzi's.

Check all your wiring as well. Ground connections, plugs, fuses, anything that can corrode or get pinched.
'48 HD Panhead - Exxon Valdez
'78 CB550K - Fokker CB.3
'78 Honda CB750K - Mavrik
'80 Yamaha XS850G - Kanibalistik
09 XL883L - No Name

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 11:04:40 am »
Thank you both, I had a feeling I was missing something because it just didn't seem right.

So the alternator is a similar collection to the charging system as a whole is sounds like?

Similar but with a few more components....

Dan

As Kirkn said, but perhaps more simply: the "alternator" is a collection of parts, of which the stator is one.

In my experience the stator is the most likely single part to go bad. I think in general usage re: bikes:  people tend to say "alternator" when in fact they mean stator.

And of course it could be one of the other parts.

You can't really buy an alternator for a bike like you do a car. You buy the individual piece that is bad.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline rchrdms

• Enthusiast
  • Honda CL350 Twin '72
    • Richard F Meese
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 02:09:44 pm »
The stator is a ring-like set of copper coils that fit around a separate part called a rotor. The rotor is magnetized and helps charge the windings
in the stator.

There is usually a rectifier too, which keeps the current flowing in one direction.

The alternator in your car has all these components together in one casing; it's different on your bike.

If the system isn't charging above 12v, and the battery will hold a charge over night (so you know it's good), you can pull off the stator and rectifier and
bench test them with an ohm meter. You will have to find the specs online or in a manual.

Offline kirkn

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 02:19:58 pm »
The stator is a ring-like set of copper coils that fit around a separate part called a rotor. The rotor is magnetized and helps charge the windings
in the stator.

Well, not always...

Sometimes the stator coils fit INSIDE the rotor, and is a single straight bar wound with copper - not a ring at all.  I'm not sure which style his GR650 Tempter has...

As you say, the rotor is magnetized - either as a permanent magnet (like what you stick notes to your refrigerator with), or as an electro-magnet (a ordinary piece of iron made magnetic by a separately controlled current).

And the rotor doesn't HELP charge the windings, it DOES charge the windings.   :)

Offline HavocTurbo

• Angry little bastard of an
  • Old Timer
  • Can you tell?
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 10:30:08 pm »
This would be what he has...

#1 - Stator Assembly Part# 31401-15500 $225.21 - Oddly enough still available as far as the suzi guy says. Don't bet on it though. Probably back ordered with no delivery date (which means soon to be NLA)

One thing to keep in mind. Bikes of this era from Suzuki - especially the "smaller" ones - had reg/rect issues more than anything else. Not very often that the whole stator winding goes bad from suzi. At least around here anyway.

One way to tell.... Get a multimeter on it.  ;D ;)

1983 GR650 Tempter.

'48 HD Panhead - Exxon Valdez
'78 CB550K - Fokker CB.3
'78 Honda CB750K - Mavrik
'80 Yamaha XS850G - Kanibalistik
09 XL883L - No Name

Offline crazypj

• I'm brill, me
  • Old Timer
  • first 100,000 miles. 1977 CB550F
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2009, 10:44:27 am »
Before you fit a new battery check the regulator/rectifier.
 Suzuki's had 'issues'
If you fit new battery and rectifier/reg is shot it backfeeds into stator winding and cooks them ( changed out lots, back in the day)
 You will then need a complete charging system which is going to be hard to find for a Tempter ( at least in good condition) You may be able to fit GS500 parts but I think crank end may be slightly bigger diameter? ( I may have generator for GS500, got all sorts of stuff stashed until garage gets built)

PJ
I fake being smart pretty good
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'