Author Topic: I've been K0'd! #4 was parted out, now getting parted in.  (Read 116557 times)

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
Re: I've been K0'd! Back to the first bike.
« Reply #800 on: October 19, 2022, 04:53:37 pm »
 I topped off the blue green bike's gas tank with a blend of 50% av gas/ 49% no alky regular and a dash of Amsoil synthetic 2 stroke oil.  I put it in the car trailer along with the dragster to go to storage. I'll find the miss next spring.
 All of the bikes not in the trailer could be bought so there's that. I'm looking at an auction in Feb. maybe to list a few.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: I've been K0'd! #4 K0 to go.
« Reply #801 on: October 27, 2022, 01:14:23 pm »
 I'm assembling the left over K0 and early K parts into a 1971, re-titled by Honda late K0 bike. It's not all correct (K0wrecked) and will need everything rebuilt. That said, it will make someone a nice project bike especially if they have a no title parts bike. Pics to follow.   

I spent some time chasing threads and finding hardware but it's beginning to look like a bike again. It's a long way from the wanna be chopper that I drug home from my brothers bike collection. If it wasn't the original engine, I'd drop a k6 motor into it. I'm deciding if I want to let go of the 4 cable carbs that were on it or just pick out a nice set of later carbs.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2022, 04:24:05 pm by Don R »

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #802 on: November 03, 2022, 02:21:07 am »
 I got an order coming from 4into1. Nothing special, just headlight screws, a couple centerstand springs, etc. carb rubbers for the f1. I'm seriously considering making this thing a runner, I have a sweet k6 top end that could drop on this case, maybe I could swap sleeves into the k0 cylinder.

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #803 on: November 03, 2022, 04:06:27 pm »
The 4 cable carbs can be a pain (why Honda changed over). If you have an alternative, go with that. Did you see the pictures of the little Cleveland?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 06:27:01 pm by BenelliSEI »

Offline WideAWAKE

• Hot Shot
« Reply #804 on: November 03, 2022, 05:46:10 pm »
If you want push pull carbs I have a  set of k1 carbs (657a) and a later set of k5ish(087a) carbs.

Both clean as a whistle.

Also got a set(only 3) of 657b carbs in pieces that can be built.

Was just marking sure I could get my K0 carbs dialed in without tearing my hair out before letting em go.

Just throwing it out there if you decide you want push/pull and start need to pick some up.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 05:53:30 pm by WideAWAKE »

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #805 on: November 04, 2022, 03:53:18 pm »
The 4 cable carbs can be a pain (why Honda changed over). If you have an alternative, go with that. Did you see the pictures of the little Cleveland?
I did, it's awesome.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #806 on: November 04, 2022, 03:54:41 pm »
  Thank you for offering but I have a tote full of carb racks. The hard decision is whether to let go of the 4 cable K0 carbs by putting them on this machine.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2022, 06:28:03 pm by Don R »

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #807 on: November 07, 2022, 06:31:39 pm »
 I got a small box of stuff from 4into1 today, mostly honda stuff, headlight screws and bushings, centerstand springs, airbox rubbers, Rear turn signal mounts. Makes me wonder where this stuff went? In this case it was my parts bike as soon as I bought the diecast.
 I'm looking for rear turn signal rubber, I thought surely someone would be 3d printing it by now. Maybe that should be my new thing.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #808 on: November 25, 2022, 06:45:41 pm »
 I took stock of the diecast no numbers engine. I'm dry assembling everything that is likely to get used so I don't get rid of parts it needs and then have to buy them later. The engine is a former sandcast with a replacement diecast case. Unfortunately, some fool stripped the 6m bolts in the head out. That's easy enough but he then drilled and tapped for 5/16" he did the 8 that hold down the cam towers. and the 4 that hold the head down under the nickel washers. I'll leave them alone, but I bought 5/16" aluminum tubing to sleeve the head bolt holes with and plan to get 10mm x 6 mm thread bushings to repair the head itself. if the cam tower sleeves don't work out I can replace the cam towers.

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #809 on: November 27, 2022, 04:17:07 pm »
Don..... I might have a rear turn signal rubber in my “Never throw this Out” bin. Just one?

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #810 on: November 28, 2022, 12:47:09 am »
Somewhere I saw a rear turn signal kit, it has both inner and outer rubbers, the spacer, bolt and the washer. 4into1 maybe?

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #811 on: November 28, 2022, 02:04:02 pm »
Don..... Z1 parts sells a kit that includes the bracket. Maybe 4-1 sells just the hardware?

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #812 on: November 28, 2022, 02:16:40 pm »
 I think so thanks.

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #813 on: November 28, 2022, 07:23:22 pm »
I got a similar kit from Yamiya
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #814 on: November 28, 2022, 09:04:03 pm »
 Z1 has the hardware kit also. Thanks.
 https://z1parts.net/honda-turn-signal-mounting-hardware-cb750-cb400f/

Not today though. I'm gonna need to let paypal cool off a bit before they think my account has been hacked. L0L!

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #815 on: December 14, 2022, 12:41:57 am »
 I got the 10x6mm thread repair inserts and the 6mm ID (approx) x 5/16" OD tubing. I'll need to sit a good tower on the head, then find the exact location of the original hole in a mill or nice drill press to drill and and tap it. The guy that drilled for the 5/16" hardware apparently used a hand drill that must have walked a little. 
   This sandcast innards with a diecast replacement case motor might be a good spot for the Wiseco 812 kit I snagged off ebay.
  It's replacing a K3 cruisin image 836 ported and cammed so a stocker might be a disappointment. The K3 engine has its correct frame waiting on the shelf.
  I'm guessing a healthy 750 might make 1 hp per 10cc as a rough guess 812 might be worth 7 or 8 hp. The compression won't hurt anything either. Maybe a good F cam
  If I put the wire wheels on it that's going to make a pretty stock looking K0 that still runs good.

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #816 on: December 20, 2022, 06:30:14 am »
I took the diecast for a spin to a dentist appointment, about a half mile away at a stop sign it backfired and dropped a cylinder. I made it to the appointment on time. I believe it has aftermarket float valves but am not positive, too many bikes and no paper trail. Dang. The #1 carb has always been an issue.
 Since the resto it's got 385 miles on it, that probably the root of the problem.  I feel the need to check valve lash and may replace the free to me Pamco with a new old stock 20 year old Dyna just to eliminate possibilities.

Don...... if it’s just one cylinder, probably not your ignition system. Shorten the end of that ignition lead, screw in a new end, and change the plug before ripping into too much.

I’ve done too much, too soon, too many times,

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #817 on: December 20, 2022, 08:22:49 am »
  I agree, it was the float valve. I removed it and blew air through backwards with the fuel line off, then hooked it back up, turned on the petcock and allowed fuel to wash it out before putting it back together. That cylinder got its plug swapped with #4 and it seems OK so far.
  Its sleeping under a blanket inside the car trailer that's inside a big building now.
  The guy that painted it wet sandblasted the gas tank and the foil tape over the gas cap opening got gapped open. I've cleaned/flushed/blown out the gas tank several times and still find grit in the petcock and float bowls. I call him old 80% because that's what he puts into his work.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2022, 08:28:48 am by Don R »

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #818 on: March 13, 2023, 08:20:51 am »
 After doing some cylinder head swapping, I came up with a set of early cam holders so I can assemble my -400 or so serial number sandcast head. I was going to use it on a die-cast motor to go into my first K0 so it can have an original type motor. Maybe it should have a home on a proper sandcast engine.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: I've been K0'd!
« Reply #819 on: July 09, 2023, 11:39:17 pm »
 I rolled the freshly spilled over diecast (no damage thank goodness) and my brothers one owner K4 out of my car trailer after an extended winter and into summer nap. Neither has a battery. I recently sold two bikes and oddly everybody that buys a running bike wants it to have a battery. It appears I'm down to 3 batteries for around 10 cb750's. (4 don't run) Not a good battery to bike ratio. A friend left me a nice Kawasaki V twin battery but it's a half inch too long and polarity challenged too. It's a shame.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2023, 11:40:58 pm by Don R »

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #820 on: July 10, 2023, 03:09:52 pm »
Spotty gave me a new battery and a bottle of acid recently, I’m not really a fan of old lead acid batteries after using Motobatts for the last few years, but I couldn’t complain about the price, so I’ll put it in my upcoming 970(?) K1 build and use it for the first year or so that I usually get out of lead acid batteries before they die. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #821 on: July 10, 2023, 06:32:53 pm »
After doing some cylinder head swapping, I came up with a set of early cam holders so I can assemble my -400 or so serial number sandcast head. I was going to use it on a die-cast motor to go into my first K0 so it can have an original type motor. Maybe it should have a home on a proper sandcast engine.
Speaking of K0's...Don, do you know where a fella might find a K0-type head gasket without the bolt-hole in the middle front? This sandcast doesn't look like it will seal for beans with the usual holed ones I have.
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #822 on: July 11, 2023, 01:21:24 pm »
Speaking of K0's...Don, do you know where a fella might find a K0-type head gasket without the bolt-hole in the middle front? This sandcast doesn't look like it will seal for beans with the usual holed ones I have.
I found one on ebay once but I'm not aware of any right now, Benelli sei may have a spare. Come to think of it, I need one too. CMSNL has a list price over $1200 but they are sadly, out of stock.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2023, 02:38:01 pm by Don R »

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #823 on: July 11, 2023, 05:39:16 pm »

The ancient “Best Gasket, Made in USA” I used on mine actually had the front, centre hole. Otherwise, it fiit perfectly on the Sandcast, so I just snipped off the extra bit. None of my other head gaskets looked even close…… Does Yamiya show any?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2023, 05:44:31 pm by BenelliSEI »

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #824 on: July 11, 2023, 05:45:21 pm »
All Yamiya gaskets have the front/centre hole. Their K0-K3 gasket looks good.