Author Topic: Windshields on a non-cafe bike  (Read 3491 times)

Offline BVCB650

• Too Much Thin Air
  • Hot Shot
Windshields on a non-cafe bike
« on: October 01, 2009, 09:24:38 am »
Has anyone put a windshield on their vintage non-molested bike? If so, got any pics? I'm going with a Slipstream SS-10 Viper, maybe their Sports Shield model to try to knock some of the coldness off me up here.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 09:28:29 am by BVCB650 »
1979 CB650, 25K miles, recently refurbished

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
Re: Windshields on a non-cafe bike
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 09:31:06 am »
I usually put mine on the 750 during the Winter.  It's a National Cycle Street Shield.  No pictures of it mounted on the bike, but it looks similar to the Slipstreamer you're talking about, minimal and unimposing, but keeps the cold wind off my chest and face.  

Edit:  Found a picture of my K1 taken right after rebuilding it, with the windscreen mounted. 
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 09:36:10 am by Gordon »

Offline BVCB650

• Too Much Thin Air
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 09:33:33 am »
I've seen some pics on a Victory. I went to the store the other morning and my face about broke off. It's winter up here already. Too soon!

Offline BVCB650

• Too Much Thin Air
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 09:39:25 am »

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 09:42:40 am »
That does look pretty tall.  The windscreen I have is 17" tall, which is the perfect height for me.  It puts the top edge well below my line of sight so it doesn't get in the way, but pushes the air just over the top of my helmet so it doesn't create any turbulence when going faster. 

Offline BVCB650

• Too Much Thin Air
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 09:44:40 am »
That does look pretty tall.  The windscreen I have is 17" tall, which is the perfect height for me.  It puts the top edge well below my line of sight so it doesn't get in the way, but pushes the air just over the top of my helmet so it doesn't create any turbulence when going faster. 

How tall are you? I'm 6'2". I was wondering about that...if you wanted it a little shorter than you are, or tall to sort of get in out of the wind.

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 09:49:56 am »
I'm 5'7".  Most universal windscreens can be adjusted up or down a decent amount, though.  I've ridden with a larger windscreen before where I was looking through it rather than over it, and I definitely prefer to be able to see over them.  The line of the edge and top may not seem like much, but when it's that close to your face it can be really distracting when riding and keeping an eye on your surroundings. 

Offline BVCB650

• Too Much Thin Air
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 10:03:36 am »
I guess I need to sit on the bike, and have someone level an imaginary line from my line of sight, then maybe go a few inches lower than that. Then measure from that point to the top of the headlight. Thanks.

Offline Tom in Newcastle......Ontario

• Hot Shot
  • Newcastle Ontario
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 10:07:20 am »
Slipstream Spitfire on my 550........
1978 cb 550k......stock,my first re-build

Loud pipes suck.......

If you buy something.........pay for it !
If you sell something .......ship it !
If you say you are going to do something......do it !
If you have a question about something......ask it !
When the seller answers ........let him know whether you still want it or not !
If you receive something .....let the seller know you got it !
If you get something and are happy/un happy with it .....let the giver/seller know !
If you have any kind of issue,shipping/receiving/quality/price/shipping charges etc !
Communicate

Offline honda750k

• Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 10:14:37 am »
Heres how mine looks on my K8.    It puts the top of the windshield JUST About at the edge of my line of sight, I need to get some longer brackets for the upper mounts to adjust the angle and fix this.    Doesnt help I'm a short guy.

These bikes dont die, they hibernate until the right person wakes them up again.

Offline BVCB650

• Too Much Thin Air
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 10:20:13 am »
Heres how mine looks on my K8.    It puts the top of the windshield JUST About at the edge of my line of sight, I need to get some longer brackets for the upper mounts to adjust the angle and fix this.    Doesnt help I'm a short guy.

What brand/model is yours? I kind of like the teardrop shape if it is tall enough. How high above the headlight is yours?

Offline HavocTurbo

• Angry little bastard of an
  • Old Timer
  • Can you tell?
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 10:41:09 am »
When you are ready to buy... Let me know. I might be able to find a good deal.

I have a small one (maybe 10-12'' tall) that I use ony my drag bars on my XS850. Leaning over that far helps me lay on the tank and accomplish two things.

Get my head out of the wind, and hug the bike for warmth. :D ;)
'48 HD Panhead - Exxon Valdez
'78 CB550K - Fokker CB.3
'78 Honda CB750K - Mavrik
'80 Yamaha XS850G - Kanibalistik
09 XL883L - No Name

Offline BurtonWarpup

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2009, 10:43:53 am »
I dont have any photos of mine yet, but I've got the National Cycle F-16 Touring (tall) windshield installed on my CB750K4. I'm 6' and the windshield comes up to the bottom of my chin. Contrary to what I thought, it doesn't send the wind over my head, it just sends it straight at me from the top of it. So it does block the wind from my body, but not from the neck up. I wear a 3/4 helmet with a face shield and this ends up actually sending a lot of wind under my helmet, which can get pretty cold these days. A bandana across my face certainly helps with this, but I think a full face helmet would work better.

I got it from Powersport Superstore through Amazon.com for $76 with free shipping. That was at least $10 cheaper than anywhere else.
Mike
1.5x 1974 CB750K4
2003 Triumph Speedmaster
http://flickr.com/photos/mikepark/

"Now, with a hundred miles on the clock, the rider has nearly forgotten what it means to sit anywhere but on this machine." -Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Offline honda750k

• Enthusiast
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2009, 10:45:13 am »
What brand/model is yours? I kind of like the teardrop shape if it is tall enough. How high above the headlight is yours?
I have NO idea what brand/model it is.  I bought it off a friend who got it at a yardsale, so no idea.

Theres a curved part that JUST touches the headlight ring on the outside, it fits there very well honestly so I like it for that, plus that it actually seems to be a decent setup.
These bikes dont die, they hibernate until the right person wakes them up again.

Offline BVCB650

• Too Much Thin Air
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2009, 10:52:44 am »
I dont have any photos of mine yet, but I've got the National Cycle F-16 Touring (tall) windshield installed on my CB750K4. I'm 6' and the windshield comes up to the bottom of my chin. Contrary to what I thought, it doesn't send the wind over my head, it just sends it straight at me from the top of it. So it does block the wind from my body, but not from the neck up. I wear a 3/4 helmet with a face shield and this ends up actually sending a lot of wind under my helmet, which can get pretty cold these days. A bandana across my face certainly helps with this, but I think a full face helmet would work better.

I got it from Powersport Superstore through Amazon.com for $76 with free shipping. That was at least $10 cheaper than anywhere else.

Well crap! I were a half helmet with goggles because I wear specs and need something to go over them. My cheeks and chin take the most of it. Maybe it has something to do with the rake or angle of the windshield. Is there adjustment for that or just up and down on those little mounting bars?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 10:54:54 am by BVCB650 »

Offline BurtonWarpup

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2009, 11:00:22 am »
Yeah, you can adjust the rake of the windshield. So far I have only made it more upright. I suppose I should try it down further to see if that helps. I will also try to get a few photos tonight.
Mike
1.5x 1974 CB750K4
2003 Triumph Speedmaster
http://flickr.com/photos/mikepark/

"Now, with a hundred miles on the clock, the rider has nearly forgotten what it means to sit anywhere but on this machine." -Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Offline BVCB650

• Too Much Thin Air
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2009, 11:01:46 am »
Thanks. I appreciate it. I was hoping for complete riding comfort from the wind but maybe that is just too much to ask.

Offline Hush

• Finally they realise that I am an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • "Lady, I've heard it all before"!
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2009, 12:23:57 pm »
I ride with my windshield all year round, it's actually a few inches shorter than the original the Police used but that was one of the reasons they stopped using the 650 as a patrol bike, the wind caught the shield and flung the cops off. ;D
Mine came off Trade-me which is like your Craigs list and I have seen the same screen advertised on Ebay, it's described as a small HD Police screen if that helps, is fully adjustable.
I actually fashioned some small brackets to lock the bottom of it onto the headlight ears as I wasn't that sure of it not parting company at 80mph and trying to cut me in half. :D
I can see over it easily as I ride but when I want to open the throttle, I jusy duck slightly and line the top of the screen with my helmet, stops bugs and rain. :)
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline jcarthel

• K2 Justin
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2009, 10:34:13 pm »
This is mine, a National Cycle Plexistar 2.  I really like it; it is usually very windy where I live so I leave it on year round.  Being clear, I don't think it detracts from the bike much.

Justin in Lubbock, TX

« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 10:41:18 pm by jcarthel »