Author Topic: Stretching Stiff Springs  (Read 5067 times)

Offline moham

• .fnord.
  • Expert
Stretching Stiff Springs
« on: October 10, 2009, 08:07:27 pm »
So, this is kinda goofy but kinda cool. Was trying to get the return spring for the kickstand back on and was having a hell of a time when Maynard came over and saw what I was doing, bloody knuckles and all, and said "put some pennies in it"... So, after thinking for a second (about what the hell he was talking about) I got a handful of change and started sliding pennies and nickels in between the spring coils. Brought it over to the bike and shazam, spring was just long enough to slide on the kick stand, yanked out my .19US and I was done, no more blood, no more cussing.

I'm sure some of you have seen this before, but Maynard continues to blow me away with these clever, dead simple fixes to otherwise annoying little quandaries.
78 750K-The Ocho
74 550-The Cherry Picker
70 750K0 motor-Dick in a Box

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
Re: Stretching Stiff Springs
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 08:03:47 am »
Same for taking it off. Rather than pring and scratching. Extend the stand. Insert something. Pennies will be too thick. I used folded over strips of flashing. Once you have something in every coil, just fold up the stand and the spring falls off. And its ready to be reinstalled.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 07:01:40 am »
Or, use a brake spring tool.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
If you love it, set it free, if it stays it's probably one of my 750's.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.

Offline mono

• Definitely no
  • Expert
  • 1975 Honda CB550, 1978 CB750K (in progress)
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 06:34:53 am »
i pried mine free with a screwdriver while crouched down next to my bike while it was on the jack.  spring came off, bounced off the floor, and directly into my cojones.   i can only imagine what my neighbors were thinking if they saw me rolling around on the ground in my garage, cussing and laughing.

pennies it is!