Author Topic: 83 Nighthawk 550 question  (Read 10392 times)

bull city

83 Nighthawk 550 question
« on: October 12, 2009, 02:48:07 pm »
I'm thinking of getting an 83 Nighthawk 550, but only if I can do something about the forks. How hard is it to mod them to a more standard look? Can I drop the triple tree and put on clip-ons? Are the forks easily switched out with other forks?

I am looking to to a cafe style mod.

Thanks-

Offline Duke McDukiedook

• Space Force 6 Star General
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Wish? Did somebody say wish?
Re: 83 Nighthawk 550 question
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 02:55:20 pm »
I think you want to post your question in this section.

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?board=10.0
"Well, Mr. Carpetbagger. We got somethin' in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."   Josey Wales

"It's Baltimore, gentlemen. The gods will not save you." Ervin Burrell

CB750 K3 crat | (2) 1986 VFR750F

Online Alan F.

• We remember the Night Rider, and we know who you are.
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 03:30:54 pm »
And if you decide on performing a swap, check out some of the free info I've got parked at http://sites.google.com/site/alansdocuments/
-A

bull city

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 03:57:52 pm »

Online Alan F.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 04:04:56 pm »
Check this thread out for good info.

I searched but didn't find that one. Thanks-

Huh?  just click the link... or do I misunderstand?

bull city

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 04:15:33 pm »
I was just saying I had already search the forums for my answer but must have missed that thread.

I'm caught between buying two bikes right now. One is a 74 550 and the 83 550NH. The nighthawk has been garage kept and is great condition for 700 "very negotiable". The 74 is taken completely apart right now, but by a friend who has all the parts. That is for $1000, but he also has a box of parts totaling $1300 from the restoration he was going to do. Everything from new tires, exhaust, clutch, complete new ignition, fork springs, just a whole bunch of what I would be buying if I bought a $300 CB550.

Online Alan F.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 04:50:32 pm »
Wow, that 74 sounds like fun.  There are a few here with 550SC's but there's virtually unlimitted know-how here to answer questions on the 74 550.
Besides 74 was the first year of the 550, that makes it a K0 model, very cool.
-Alan

bull city

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 06:29:13 pm »
It does sound fun, but I'm not sure I'm ready for that. I have a gut feeling I'd be in over my head. It is totally... totally... in pieces.

Offline Laminar

• Retsam
  • Master
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 06:25:36 am »
You can find any help you'll need here, and you'll learn a ton putting it back together.

That being said, the Nighthawk will absolutely blow away the '74. No contest.

bull city

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 09:57:58 am »
That's what I hear. Two things I don't like about the NightHawk- rake and gas tank. I can live with the low range, but have to do something about rake. If it is as easy is dropping the triple tree, then that shouldn't be an issue. And really, from pics Ive seen online, it looks much better after you get the ape hangers off IMHO.

Offline Laminar

• Retsam
  • Master
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 11:32:46 am »
That's what I hear. Two things I don't like about the NightHawk- rake and gas tank. I can live with the low range, but have to do something about rake. If it is as easy is dropping the triple tree, then that shouldn't be an issue. And really, from pics Ive seen online, it looks much better after you get the ape hangers off IMHO.

With some normal handlebars, it looks and handles about 1000x better. and wheelies are much easier

« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 11:34:50 am by Laminar »

bull city

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 12:45:13 pm »
Ive seen that pic before. It looks good.

Do you have a side view?

Offline Laminar

• Retsam
  • Master
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 04:31:30 pm »

Online Alan F.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2009, 06:27:18 pm »
It's really only a 29 degree neck angle, with shorter forks it should look much better. 

bull city

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2009, 03:44:43 am »
thanks-

That's a nice looking bike. I'm coming from an 08 Ninja 250. I'm ready to get something a little more vintage and a wee bit faster.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 03:46:17 am by bullcity »

Offline Laminar

• Retsam
  • Master
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2009, 05:44:56 am »
It's really only a 29 degree neck angle, with shorter forks it should look much better. 

And I feel like the headlight is mounted kind of high, which exaggerates how tall the forks are.

bull city

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2009, 07:48:16 am »
so good lord... I was looking and comparing on the net about the speed of this bike and it's looking like it just below being as fast as 600 supersports.

So does this sound about right? From a '83 cruiser?

And I never noticed how high the headlamp is. You're right about it making the forks look longer.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 07:53:50 am by bullcity »

Offline Laminar

• Retsam
  • Master
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2009, 09:44:22 am »
so good lord... I was looking and comparing on the net about the speed of this bike and it's looking like it just below being as fast as 600 supersports.

So does this sound about right? From a '83 cruiser?

It won't be anywhere near as fast as a modern 600cc sport bike. I believe it ran a quarter mile in the mid-12s, which puts it about on par with the SOHC CB750s and faster than most Harleys, but you won't touch a sport bike with 100 fewer pounds and twice the horsepower.

I've embarassed Corvettes, RX-8s, and more, but I've been blown away by a CBR-900 and some flavor of GSX-R.

bull city

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2009, 04:08:13 am »
I made the deal last night-

600 bucks for an 83 550 NH garage kept. 5000 miles.

It hasn't been started in 5 years but ran perfectly before that. I trust the folks because they work with my wife, are in their 60's, and are loaded so there is no reason to pull a fast one on me.

So problems first-

Front brake is locked. Doing some research on this site (and help me if I am wrong) I should bleed a bit first to see if it releases them? If that doesn't work- there is some sort of very small hole that is an exhaust that relieves pressure from the piston so that the piston can release. I should get a guitar string and try to clean that out. Does this sound right and is this easy to find? Lastly- the piston has rusted to the caliper and immediate rebuild is needed. If that is the case, how do I release the brake to get the bike home?

It needs front turn signals.

Of course it needs a battery.

Other than that there are no major problems except for starting an engine that has sat for 5 years. What precautions should I take before I try to crank it? Should I switch out the gas and clean the carbs before I start it, or can that wait until I get it home (about 3 miles)? And yes my first choice is to ride it home rather than push 430 lbs. of dead weight up into my pick-up.

And on the speed- I found the stats being 4.8 0-60 and 12.64 on the 1/4, which puts it up there with the Bandit and like bikes, which I was considering the class beneath SS. Which I find is surprising speed from this bike.

Thanks for all your replies so far.

Offline Laminar

• Retsam
  • Master
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2009, 07:03:38 am »
Fresh gas and a thorough carb cleaning are a must. Don't try and do "just enough," you'll end up pulling the carbs off three or four different times because you didn't quite get everything the previous times.

An oil and filter change would be a good idea - five year old oil isn't to be trusted.

Check the air filter and make sure there are no rodent nests or insects in there.

You might be able to pull the caliper off of the fork and compress the pistons with a C-clamp, but you might want to pull the pads off first, which isn't easy on a bike that's been sitting a long time.

Online Alan F.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2009, 06:33:46 pm »
And a rule of thumb with any bike purchase, pump up those tires before you try to push it anywhere...even onto a trailer.  It'll be so much easier without the excess drag.

if you do decide to ride it home, be sure that front brake is functional.
you want to be able to trust it.  new fluid will be needed, just fill the reservior and gently pump the lever a few times, open the bleeder at the caliper and drain out all f that ugly old brake fluid until new brake fluid comes out the bleeder (it'll just look cleaner) be sure to keep filling the reservior so it doesn't run dry.

One tip is to attach a length of small clear hose to the bleeder, the other end into a jar to catch the old brake fluid.

You will probably need to rebuild the master cylinder and caliper later on anyway though. 

And be careful loosening the brake bleeder, you'll want to use only a box-end wrench so it doesn't strip.
Good luck and keep posting your progress.
-Alan

And search the web for the Honda CBX550, it's the same engine in a sportier bike that Honda never brought to the states.

bull city

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2009, 05:16:49 am »
I'm picking up the bike tomorrow and hope to get on the carbs this weekend.

I'm pretty intimidated by the whole carb thing. On one hand it looks completely complicated. Taking them off and on, apart and back together, and cleaning them doesn't seem hard in the least bit. It's the tuning of the carbs after I am done that scares the heck out of me. On the other hand it seems like a lot of people do this on their own so it can't be too terribly hard.

How hard is it to do?

What carb specific tools do I need? Do I need calipers and such?

Is it as simple as remembering how many turns it took to take the jets out and just repeating the process?

I haven't found a good tutorial about how to get the carbs back in working order.

Offline Laminar

• Retsam
  • Master
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2009, 05:53:08 am »
The Nighthawk's carbs are fairly simple. The idle circuit isn't adjustable. The float level isn't adjustable. Getting them on and off of the bike IS the hard part, if you keep the stock air filter (best choice) and exhaust, you don't have to do any tuning and it will run great.

bull city

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2009, 05:54:46 am »
so there is no tuning of the jets? just take em out, clean them,  and put them back in?

That's probably why no tutorials have mentioned it.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 06:03:09 am by bullcity »