Author Topic: Feel kinda like a traitor...sorta...  (Read 2738 times)

Offline dilbone

• Enthusiast
Feel kinda like a traitor...sorta...
« on: October 20, 2009, 07:25:01 am »
So I've owned a few bikes over the years starting with a '79 CX500, then a 2000 Suzuki Marauder, then an '05 Boulevard C50, now a '75 CB550... I'm having a ball with the CB550 and this forum...

Then my buddy who is moving from Ohio back to New Jersey closer to his extended family was telling me about his Dad's sportster that he's had for about a year.  His Dad past away over a year ago and he now has the bike.  His wife had been riding the bike but it's just too big for her and she's never felt comfortable on it and he says he has to try to sell it before they move next week.  I told him I'd let people know about it and asked him what he wanted for it...he says well for you I'd take XXX dollars.  Kinda his way of keeping in the family so to speak.  So I couldn't turn him down, then they throw in an oak dining suite for a few hundred more.

It's a 2001 XLH 1200 and it pulls like a freakin' train...  When I was going 70mph and I look down and I'm at like 3000 rpm I was floored.
He lowered it, put on a corbin seat, new bars, forwards controls, and chrome control covers.  It's much more comfortable than a stock sportster I'd ridden in the past.

I never wanted a Harley...some of the guys I know with them are just a bit too pretentious about the "brand" and of course I've run into so many nice people here I almost felt like I'd be selling out...stupid I know...but you really do meet the nicest people on a honda...
Well it's a great bike and I'll definitely enjoy it...now I'm not sure if I should keep the CB550.  I don't even need one bike let alone 2...

Offline j-conn

• Hot Shot
  • Federico Fabrizi
Re: Feel kinda like a traitor...sorta...
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 07:32:38 am »
you dont need to feel like a traitor! looks like a real beaut!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 07:37:15 am by j-conn »
1976 CB550
Member #7772

Offline ColinMc

• Expert
  • There aint no pickle like a super pickle...
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 08:50:05 am »
Now get the cafe kit for it...lol
1976 CB750K - Cafe Project...taking forever
1984 Honda MB-5 - MB-8 conversion in process
2001 Ducati 748 - Built 996 motor sleeper

Offline dilbone

• Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 12:19:33 pm »
Now get the cafe kit for it...lol

yeah, I noticed on the sportster forum that there are guys as ate up with cafe style bikes as guys are here...I had no idea...LOL

Offline DCopp

• Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 02:31:27 pm »
Very nice sporty tastefully done...but that exhaust crossover pipe is ridiculous  :-\

Offline Ogri

• Thinks he's a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 02:35:22 pm »
If you're worried about people hanging an 'outlaw biker' label on you; put a pair of Honda tank badges on it.

Very capable bikes those. Lots of people bobbing them very nicely; they're almost forming their own genre.

Love those wheels. If they were made by a company like Henry Abe in the '70s they'd be hailed as classics; because they're stock Harley no-one mentions them!

Offline gene03079

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 05:15:56 pm »
Nice looking sporty.

No need to feel like a traitor. Keep the 550 and enjoy them both.

It is great having multiple bikes. You get a chance to pick one based on your mood. Buying bikes can get addicting. I have an HD, 4 Honda's and a water cooled Kawasaki.
78 CB550 74 CB550  71 SL175  08 Harley Ultra
Honda CL 175 racer  1977 Honda MT125R race bike 65 CB160  69 SL350

Offline GoatBaSS

• Could someone find an
  • Expert
  • To weird to live, to rare to die.
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 05:34:55 pm »
WATER COOLED!!!
TRAITOR!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Leethal # 3046?
1972 CB750K/900CC Red Headed Dunstall, 1975CB750FSS Gone BNF: 1974CB500T, 1976CB750K X 2

Offline Alan F.

• We remember the Night Rider, and we know who you are.
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 06:49:35 pm »
Yeah keep the honda too, in a few years you'd be wishing you hadn't sold it, and you'd be looking for another one.
Bikes don't mind sharing your time.
-Alan

Offline MacM2010

• Nobody Special
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 07:02:13 pm »
Does XXX dollars in your post really mean 3 digits worth of dollars?  Because then you'd be out of your mind not to take it, even if they are all 9s. 

Don't feel like a traitor - a bike you like is a bike you like, which is what's really important.  And this one looks pretty nice - do you think you'll mod it much, or just ride it?  I'm with Ogri, Sportster bobs can look pretty slick.

-Mac
One day, I will put up a signature.

Offline ColinMc

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 09:13:54 pm »
I'm with Mac and Ogri, if you are gonna mod it...make it a XR replica of sorts, or a nice clean bobber...and yeah get some different pipes lol.

Or just ride it as is and have a blast(please get rid of that goofy bag on the front forks though lol). I'm also a firm believer in having a bunch of bikes, every bike has a specific purpose and riding style. I'll ride ANYTHING with two wheels and have fun no matter what. The only problem with Sportsters is the rest of the Harley crowd tend to view them as "skirt"sters. But for me...only HD i'd want to own is a sportster or a variant of one...like that new XR1200R mmmm

In conclusion, whatever you do with it i'm sure you'll have a blast lol.

Offline cike

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 12:55:23 am »
Congrads on your new bike, you'll love it. As they say "things are different on a harley" I own 2 right now (99-road king, 2006 883) (also have 2 hondas at the moment) I have been riding Harleys for years and have had several. Just don't become one of those a-holes that turn there noses up at anyone who is not on a Harley (works both ways too) We all take the same risks when on the road, and it wouldn't be any fun if everyone had the same bikes.
 A lay-back license pate would be a cheap way to dress up the back end. Also harley sells a plug in kit that will turn your rear turn signals into brake/turn signal lights (comes with red covers) for about $50. well worth the money to help the people behind you see when you are stopping.
 Just my $.02 worth, nut I would keep the Honda as well, If you find out later that you have no desire to keep it you can always get rid of it later.
 Be careful though customizing Harley's can become real addicting and expensive. almost nothing is cheap on these bikes.

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 06:01:58 am »
Great find and a nice looking bike.
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline Green550F

• Hot Shot
  • Nothing is as cool as that which you made.
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 06:27:31 am »
I got to ride my uncle's 1200. I prefered my Dad's 883. Much more smooth! Not much less power.(Dad traded up to a Dyna Low Rider for the 883+$8000)

Harley's are fine. They are building a decent competitive product. When I was a kid, that wasn't the case. Alot of my family have Harleys, but I don't see the big attraction. The only thing I do envy is the parts availability for a 40 year old bike! ::)

I just picked up a 93 Kaw Voyager for $5000. Kinda high priced but only 30K on it and everything works great. In high school a 15yr old bike was nearly free, or in my case it actually was free, So what has happened?
93 Kawasaki Voyager XII
70 Honda CL350 Cafe

Offline dilbone

• Enthusiast
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2009, 10:23:02 am »
Thanks guys for all the kind remarks...
Yeah, I wasn't sure about the crossover on the exhaust...seems odd.

No it wasn't a 3 figure price...but still a price I thought was a steal with only 3,100 miles.

I think I'll just ride it like it is...feels good, runs great...

Yeah, I thought the bag looked sorta lame, but his Dad put that on and I thought I should leave it on there for a little while...maybe send it to him after the move.

I will definitely not be a stereotypical HD rider.  I turn my nose up at no vehicle...if it runs I don't have a problem with it.

I was out on it yesterday and it wouldn't start for me after a few different stops along the way.  My buddy told me that he had been keeping it on the battery tender or else it wouldn't start.  I'm hoping it's the battery, but I didn't have my multimeter at home to be able to check the running voltage.  I'll get the battery load tested tonight and hope that's what it is.

I couldn't help but laugh as I was push starting my new ride in a Wal-Mart parking lot last evening thinking of how many jokes I've told about the mechanical dependability(or lack thereof) of an HD!!!

I'll keep the Honda for now, but this spring I may have to let her go.  It would be nice having a back up in case one needs work.

Offline ColinMc

• Expert
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2009, 10:50:23 am »
It's probably just the battery, if it's 2001 with that few of miles it's probably the original battery and has probably sat a lot before a battery tender was involved. The charging systems on those bikes is fairly stout.

I bet you'll take the battery out and it'll be missing quite a bit of acid lol.

Offline MickeyX

• Master
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2009, 11:34:26 am »
I have an '06 883 sporty and like it a lot. The crossover is definitely there for a reason on the pipes and some of us have 'em on our Hondas as well, it's just underneath the bike. My sporty doesn't have it across the engine like that, but my "89 did. I think they changed that around '04 or so. It is hidden across the bottom (and blacked out) behind where the pipes run horizontal. I wouldn't mess with it.
You need a new battery. No matter how good your charging system is, the battery is probably shot at this point. Get a closed cell one, preferably with gel. These things vibrate regular batteries to death, literally. Don't go cheap on that.

Enjoy your ride the way it is. I think people do too much to these things most of the time. Mine is as stock as she can be. I also think you should try to keep the Honda. I like having a variety, and sometimes, I just want to crank open the throttle and almost drop myself off the back of the bike. That Harley isn't gonna give you that.   ;D (I'm in 5th gear on the HD when Kit is still in 3rd on her CB650.)

« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 11:42:42 am by MickeyX »
1969 CL350 Scrambler... almost done!!! Well, until something else goes wrong. :)
2006 HD 883 Sportster, stock. No use changing it, it's still gonna be a Harley.

Offline dilbone

• Enthusiast
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2009, 11:35:59 am »
It's probably just the battery, if it's 2001 with that few of miles it's probably the original battery and has probably sat a lot before a battery tender was involved. The charging systems on those bikes is fairly stout.

I bet you'll take the battery out and it'll be missing quite a bit of acid lol.

That's what I was figuring on...it is an HD sealed maintance free battery so I'm assuming its the original battery going on 9 years old.

To top it all off on my way into work this morning I blew out a rear tire in the car and my spare was flat...had to have a buddy bring an air tank out to me

Offline Grnrngr

• Master
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2009, 12:07:42 pm »
I couldn't help but laugh as I was push starting my new ride in a Wal-Mart parking lot last evening thinking of how many jokes I've told about the mechanical dependability(or lack thereof) of an HD!!!

I'll keep the Honda for now, but this spring I may have to let her go.  It would be nice having a back up in case one needs work.
Heh..I'm working on buying a 92 Fatboy from a friend who quit riding, old battery was stone dead so I bought a new one, rode it a few days and the trip meter reset knob fell off. Naturally, since I can't count, and it goes twice as far as my Honda on a tank, I ran out of gas. on my way back into town from being way out in the country. First time I've run out of gas in better than 20 yrs. Pushed that rascal about a half mile to the gas station, and had to bump start it as the new battery was losing it fast. Finally got it home, told my friend, he says "oh yeah..I think there was some issue with the charging system..had to put a new voltage regulator in it...you know what HD stands for dontcha? Hunnert Dollars...every time you go to the shop, it'll cost you a hundred bucks." I don't care, it's a beautiful bike, makes the most incredible sound (shotgun pipes) and has a feel on the road like nothing else. So it's in his garage for the winter (needs tags and brake work also) and I'm riding the Honda, older by 20 yrs and seized when I bought it, every day. If I had a garage, I'd have a few more bikes. I kinda like the tool bag on that one, it would look less "odd" with saddle bags and would be nice to have on an extended road trip. I agree with the thought that some folks "accessorize" way too much, but I still think I'd change the pipes..
'72 CB750-K2 "PopCycle"
'73 CB750-K2 "Barney"
'77 CB750A   
'83 Virago 500 (red)
'83 Virago 500 (black)

"and so on and so on and scoobydoobydooby..oooooooshasha"  Sly Stone

Offline MickeyX

• Master
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2009, 12:38:42 pm »
Go into the fuse area, clean it all up, and put some dielectric grease on everything. They are crap for corrosion and getting water in there. Many guys who figure that out, never have "charging issues" repeat.  :)
1969 CL350 Scrambler... almost done!!! Well, until something else goes wrong. :)
2006 HD 883 Sportster, stock. No use changing it, it's still gonna be a Harley.

Offline cike

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2009, 12:21:21 am »
At 3100 miles it's probably the battery. if you buy and it doesn't fix the problem check the relays. Not sure about the sproty but my road king has 4 of them located buy the top of the battery towards the back wheel. (black boxes about 1" x 2") they sell for about $10-15 and have been told by my friend that works at a Harley stealership that a lot of people come in buying battery's that turn out to be the relay (common for them to go out) I did the same thing, now I carry a spare. I just bought 1 then traded them out until I found the one that was bad. Don't pull to hard on the wires though, it will hit the bottom of the motor and in a few days will burn off the coating and short out leaving you with a problem to figure out. (Don't ask how I know)
 Wouldn't think that would be the problem with your miles but keep it in mind for future reference just in case.
 $100-$120 for a battery..Makes that Honda look pretty good huh? they usually last for several years though (about 5)

Offline dilbone

• Enthusiast
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2009, 08:25:55 am »
Yeah, so I had the battery load tested...twice, once at autozone and once at the HD dealership.  Both times checked out ok.

Not what I wanted to hear.  So I got my voltmeter out and checked the voltage at the battery while running...12.38-12.40volts... with no change at all with increased RPM.  I'm obviously not getting any charge at all from the alternator.  I've been on a sportster forum and have gotten info on testing the stator.  If that checks out ok I'll be checking the ground connections, if that checks out I'll be assuming the voltage regulator and go from there.

So this isn't a starting relay problem, it's a charging problem for sure.  I will be checking  connections and getting a tube of dielectric grease as well.  With any luck it won't be the stator...

Offline MJL

• Don't listen to me, I'm no
  • Expert
  • Oh hell, what's one more bike?
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2009, 06:11:39 pm »
Thanks guys for all the kind remarks...
Yeah, I wasn't sure about the crossover on the exhaust...seems odd.

No it wasn't a 3 figure price...but still a price I thought was a steal with only 3,100 miles.

I think I'll just ride it like it is...feels good, runs great...

Yeah, I thought the bag looked sorta lame, but his Dad put that on and I thought I should leave it on there for a little while...maybe send it to him after the move.

I will definitely not be a stereotypical HD rider.  I turn my nose up at no vehicle...if it runs I don't have a problem with it.

I was out on it yesterday and it wouldn't start for me after a few different stops along the way.  My buddy told me that he had been keeping it on the battery tender or else it wouldn't start.  I'm hoping it's the battery, but I didn't have my multimeter at home to be able to check the running voltage.  I'll get the battery load tested tonight and hope that's what it is.

A buddy of mine had what he thought was a starter problem, went as far as to make a hammer holder so he can tap the starter with it and make it work... Turned out to be bad wiring at the switch.  (He still keeps the hammer on the bike)
No matter how fast or how far I rode, I couldn't leave her memory behind.

Offline dilbone

• Enthusiast
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2009, 06:37:00 am »
Well, I checked the stator and it was good.  Neither lead to the stator had grounded out, the resistance across the stator was .3ohms and the VAC across the stator was 23volts...

Picked up the factory service manual and a new voltage regulator.  Installed it and now I get 14.3volts at the battery while running...
I was pretty stoked to not have to take the left cover off and dig into this thing a week after I got it...

Offline Really?

• I've come to the conclusion that I AM a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2009, 06:43:14 am »
Well, I feel better now since I drive a Yammi.  And there is no way i am gonna cafe it.  Might as well just get a vmax then.
I don't have a motorcycle, sold it ('85 Yamaha Venture Royale).  Haven't had a CB750 for over 40 years.

The Wife's Bike - 750K5
The Kid's Bike - 750K3