Author Topic: I Can See It Coming!  (Read 1671 times)

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Tryin' To Slow Down "Time"!
I Can See It Coming!
« on: October 21, 2009, 09:42:53 pm »

Yeah, I can see that, some day, I'm gonna have to take em' out (one at a time) and see just how they compare in different situations and conditions. Both of them just give me the impression that one can do better than the other!  ;D ;)

The CBX looks more docile except for all those pipes coming out of the head
          And THAT Sound! And the way it REVS! Thing is, I can't get past 85 on the 
          CBX, because

Where as the GPZ has a MEAN look, doesn't have quite as an impressive sound like the CBX, It DOES have a MEAN sound coming out of that Kerker! It IS supposed to have a higher top speed with MORE horse power, after all. 
Member # 1969
PRAYERS ALWAYS FOR: Bre, Jeff & Virginia, Bear, Trevor & Brianna ( Close Friend's Daughter)
"Because HE lives, I can Face Tomorrow"                  
 You CAN Teach An Old Dog New Tricks, Just Takes A Little Bit Longer & A Lot More Patience!! 

Main Rides: '02 Durango, '71 Swinger & Dad's '93
                  Dakota LE 4x4 '66 CB77 & '72 SL350K2
Watch What You Step Into, It Could  End Up A Mess!

Offline CBJoe

• Master
Re: I Can See It Coming!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 08:03:25 pm »
I'm sorry Bill.....But i'm afraid that your opinion is biased  ;)  Being that they're both YOURS  :P.

Your just gonna have to let me come to Arkansas and test drive 'em both for you to judge the better of the two  ;D
Seriously though... Like a piece of artwork in your own driveway.  

Cheers, Joe
'07 Bonneville Black
'15 Moto Guzzi California 1400
CB750K2 Hot Rod Revival http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,171693.0.html
'65 CB77
'66 CM91 (C90'ish)

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 09:01:41 pm »
I'm sorry Bill.....But i'm afraid that your opinion is biased  ;)  Being that they're both YOURS  :P.

Your just gonna have to let me come to Arkansas and test drive 'em both for you to judge the better of the two  ;D
Seriously though... Like a piece of artwork in your own driveway.  

Cheers, Joe

You are right Joe, I AM a bit (just a little bit) prejudiced and might have a hard time telling it right. ::)

Yeah, the GPZ is SOMETHING ELSE, BUT that CBX is AWESOME!!!!!!!!
Member # 1969
PRAYERS ALWAYS FOR: Bre, Jeff & Virginia, Bear, Trevor & Brianna ( Close Friend's Daughter)
 You CAN Teach An Old Dog New Tricks, Just Takes A Little Bit Longer & A Lot More Patience!! 

Offline RRRToolSolutions

• Expert
  • I love old Japanese bikes!
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 10:50:07 am »
Bill, the Kawi should make lunch meat out of the Honda - just built for different ends of the spectrum.

Isn't the CBX near 100 horses and the GPZ at something near 130 and 100 lbs lighter? It's been a long time.

Gordon
Kaws, Hondas, Yamahas, and Suzukis - especially Kaws

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 11:06:29 am »
Bill, the Kawi should make lunch meat out of the Honda - just built for different ends of the spectrum.

Isn't the CBX near 100 horses and the GPZ at something near 130 and 100 lbs lighter? It's been a long time.

Gordon

Hey Gordon.   Yeah they ARE two DIFFERENT sorts all right. Both will run pretty good, but you are right as far as the Kawasaki running the wheels off of the CBX.
The GPZ speedometer is topped at 160mph. :o Not that I'LL ever see anywhere near THAT speed. The CBX speedometer tops at 85 and there' no doubt that it will run way past that. Of course I can't check ANY speed over 85 because it will bend the needle of the speedometer and those things are way too costly to mess with. Now, IF I could find a 79' speedometer for a decent price, I'd see about getting one, so IF I wanted to kick it up a bit (past 85), I could. Both bikes pull VERY strong! I'm sure that at a point, the GPZ would walk off from the CBX. But, that "big 6" sure sounds FANTASTIC! Riding the CBX, handling wise, isn't much different from many others. It doesn't seem so big, to me, when I ride it. The GPZ has a whole different feel to it and, in turn, seems to beg to be put through the paces! I'd have to double check the specs on the two. I've seen them, but don't recall the specifics.   
Member # 1969

Offline Maxacceleration

• Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 11:09:21 am »
Beautiful bikes Bill! I too am envious!

The GPZ in 550, 750 or 1100, whether Unitrack or dual shock were supreme hotrods of the day.

And excellent collectors today. Get one if you can...

The last time I roadraced was on an '82 GPz 550 in '83. I am complete...  ;)

And my 832 miles on the clock KZ550 which I own now.

Way to go Bill.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 11:17:17 am by Maxacceleration »
Olden is Golden
CR550F RD400 KZ550 KH500

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 01:51:03 pm »

Thanks for the input there Max. :) And also for putting the additional info on YOUR endeavors, along with the photos. 8) Very nive 550 you have there as well. ;) 
Member # 1969

Offline le_sterls

• Comic book
  • Enthusiast
  • Well than...
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 02:02:04 pm »
Bill, can I live in your garage. Those are two beautiful machines...
That's what I'd like to hear.
'77 CB550k - running... For now...

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 03:44:22 pm »
Bill, can I live in your garage. Those are two beautiful machines...

Thank You. ;)  It would be a TIGHT fit, I can assure you! :D
Member # 1969

Offline Really?

• I've come to the conclusion that I AM a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2009, 03:51:21 pm »
Oh, the 80's, how I actually miss that decade.  Rode many different bikes back then as a teen without fear.  I think my owned favorite was my '80 XS11 Standard.  Been kinda checkin' out craigslist for another one but keep running into the Eleven Specials missing second gear - seems to be a Yammi standard issue (yanno, missing second gear).

The GPz 1100's were always a tough run.
I don't have a motorcycle, sold it ('85 Yamaha Venture Royale).  Haven't had a CB750 for over 40 years.

The Wife's Bike - 750K5
The Kid's Bike - 750K3

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2009, 09:28:01 pm »
Oh, the 80's, how I actually miss that decade.  Rode many different bikes back then as a teen without fear.  I think my owned favorite was my '80 XS11 Standard.  Been kinda checkin' out craigslist for another one but keep running into the Eleven Specials missing second gear - seems to be a Yammi standard issue (yanno, missing second gear).

The GPz 1100's were always a tough run.

Don't see too many of the XS11s. Had a chance to buy one several years back, but just couldn't swing it then. :-\ It was loaded though (Windjammer, trunk and bags). I'd have dumped ALL THAT myself! ;D If I'd had the chance! ;)
Member # 1969