Author Topic: CB550 Cafe...DONE! (Pictures and now video)  (Read 16415 times)

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
    • My 550 walk around video
Re: CB550 Cafe...DONE! (Pictures and now video)
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2009, 03:05:14 pm »
a most excellent set of wheels! new england autumn provides a nice backdrop too.  8)

botm indeed!
1974 CB550K     

Help stop TORTURE and SLAUGHTER of cats, dogs, and other kept animals.                                                  www.animalsasia.org

Your 1%er name

A WORTHY EFFORT: http://www.honorflight.org.

Offline Sheik Yerbouti

• Likes the warm feeling but is tired of all the dehydration.
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2009, 03:20:30 pm »
stunning bike. The video was good too.

Edit:

How are those frame clamps working out for rearsets? Pretty strong?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 03:29:09 pm by Sheik Yerbouti »

Offline Gorms

• Barkeep! Give me a beer and a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2009, 03:30:59 pm »
Thanks guys!

botm indeed!

I read up on the rules and apparently I missed it this year as December is for bike of the year.  Keep me in mind come January though.  And thanks for the Youtube comment, Ecosse.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 03:35:13 pm by gorms »

Offline Spikeybike

• when planting C4 at your enemy's base make sure you don't use a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • member #1150
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2009, 03:31:22 pm »
wish my neighborhood was ever that quiet  ;D ;D ;D

i've always loved that "Mac + pods" sound on a 550 .. good stuff

Offline Gorms

• Hot Shot
« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2009, 03:34:56 pm »
How are those frame clamps working out for rearsets? Pretty strong?
Yes actually suprisingly strong.  Jumping on them might get some movement but standing on them or using them as they are intended, they are more than adequate.  I figured early on though that if they moved on me, I would just drill through the clamps and the fame and put a self tapping screws in there.

Offline fletcha221

• CENDSE BIKEWORKS
  • Hot Shot
  • Cendse Bikeworks
    • OUR SHOP
« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2009, 04:31:07 pm »
Great Stuff! Is the tank and tail section from BCR? the finish quality is amazing! You did a really great job with this! In only 6 months? WOW!
"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" -Oscar Wilde

1973 CB350f
1975 CB550k
1975 CB750 K5

Offline SKTP

• Master
« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2009, 04:37:33 pm »
How does the front brake line not rub on the tire? I am doing a dual front brake conversion and would love to run the lines like that, (with a non-stock fender) but I figured the rubbing would be an issue...

Awesome job...
1978k rebuild thread http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=68423.0
BIKE OF THE MONTH - OCTOBER 2017
2003 Ducati M800ie
1997 Honda CR-V
2004 Honda CR-V
1966 Honda S90

Offline Zaipai

• I am getting closer to being an
  • Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2009, 05:28:48 pm »
You would not happen to have another gas tank for that thing laying around collecting dust?
Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline Salmonser

« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2009, 07:28:44 pm »
I'm also interested in the clamps for your rearset setup. I cut a lower link, from some suzuki suspension linkage i had around, to make my exhaust hanger. And said to myself, "there's got to be something like this already.

I.I.I.

Offline Zaipai

• Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2009, 07:31:52 pm »
I'm also interested in the clamps for your rearset setup. I cut a lower link, from some suzuki suspension linkage i had around, to make my exhaust hanger. And said to myself, "there's got to be something like this already.

That's really a nice hanger tho.. Looks clean and like it should be there.. Good job improvising.
Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline Gorms

• Hot Shot
« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2009, 07:35:10 pm »
The frame clamps are three piece units by "Drag Specailties" from Dennis Kirk.  They work very well but I cannot take credit for the application.  I believe the first to use them was Greg from Ohio Cafe Racers.  A few others have gone this route as well.

Offline Bill/BentON Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ex Honda Service Manager, Cert. Honda Tech - Racer
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2009, 05:59:57 pm »
NICE,we'll get you in Jan.BOTM,just watch out for the bobbers! ;D ;D,Good job,all looks good if caught in rain you might want some type of guard in front of your rear tire!,Bill
BentON Racing Website
OEM Parts | Service | Custom Builds
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline Zaipai

• Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #62 on: November 05, 2009, 08:32:54 pm »
Can you make the video public? It wont let me watch it unless were on each others friends list, it says its a private video..

Thanks!
Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Do0ki3 PWNS

« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2009, 09:56:43 pm »
looks great!

Offline Gorms

• Hot Shot
« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2009, 05:16:24 am »
I made the video public again.  I changed it because I was going to make a different one and thought you were all done looking at this thread.  Thanks for the compliments!

Offline Dead Bound

• SouthDown
« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2009, 07:54:01 am »
NICE!!!!!

Thanks for the video.  Everyone should get around to doing that. 

Ryan 550k

« Reply #66 on: November 06, 2009, 10:10:36 am »
I made the video public again.  I changed it because I was going to make a different one and thought you were all done looking at this thread.  Thanks for the compliments!

Oooohhhh.  I'm glad you changed it back, Iwatched it a third time ::)

Offline greenjeans

• Industrial strengthed dreamer.
  • Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
« Reply #67 on: November 06, 2009, 10:17:50 am »
Very clean.  Job well done.

Thanks for the video, photos & most importantly, inspiration.
Yep, I'm the kid that figured out how to put things back together...eventually.

Offline fevah

Re: CB550 Cafe...DONE!
« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2009, 12:58:22 am »
Rides really well now that I've got the carbs jetted right.  Ya I'm definately in for that ride.

What did u need to do to the jets. Ive got a 500 that runs like a bag of dicks with a 4-1 and pods, 110 mains and needle clip moved 1 notch.

Your bike looks sick, cant believe you turned it from that pile to a gem

Offline Gorms

• Hot Shot
Re: CB550 Cafe...DONE!
« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2009, 07:10:53 am »
What did u need to do to the jets. Ive got a 500 that runs like a bag of dicks with a 4-1 and pods, 110 mains and needle clip moved 1 notch.

I can't comment on the 500 carbs from a different year.  My 77 has "lean burn" carbs set up differently than previous years.  I can tell you I went up .15mm in jet sizes from #90 to #105 and raised the needle from the 2nd notch down to the 3rd.  Idle micture screws and out 2.5 turns and slow jets are stock.

Offline Zaipai

• Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2009, 05:33:07 pm »
I found your video on youtube.. Nice bike, really nice!. Is that that stock rear rim and what Rear tire is that? Did you use a Jell Battery?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 05:59:34 pm by Zaipai »
Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline Gorms

• Hot Shot
« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2009, 06:01:16 pm »
Yup rims are stock 18/19x1.85 and tires are Avon Roadriders in 4.00 and 3.25.

Offline JAG

• Expert
  • '74 CB750K, '72 CB500, '76 550K
« Reply #72 on: November 09, 2009, 04:19:17 pm »
Great lookin ride bud..

Got a couple of questions for ya if you don't mind :D

Did you have to change the mount for the tach to run the gauge in the center?

Why is it you don't need a speedometer?

Is there a "how to" on those rearsets? Do you know if that design can be implemented for the 750's?

Where did you get the plate mount from?

And last but not least where did you get that clear gas line from??
Cafe Racing is mainly a matter of taste. It is an atavistic mentality, a peculiar mix of low style, high speed, pure dumbness, and overweening commitment to the Cafe Life and all its dangerous pleasures. I am a Cafe Racer myself, on some days - and it is one of my finest addictions. ~H. S. Thompson~

Offline Gorms

• Hot Shot
« Reply #73 on: November 22, 2009, 05:26:33 pm »
JAG,

To answer your questions...

Yes I fabbed a plate to mount the tach in the center.  It mounts to the bolt holes for the ignition switch (big one with steering lock) and the normal mounting holes on the back of the guage.  Made from simple aluminum sheet with a bend in it to keep the guage as low as possible.

Don't need a speedometer because I am a rebel.  ;D

How to on the rearsets here: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=5724.0  Make sure you get rearsets with the linkage arm pointing up or down.  Not much you can do for actuation with arms that point fore or aft.  Yes they will work on 750's because I think they use the same 1" frame tubes.  The frame clamps come in different sizes so if not, just get the right ones.  You will have to do some tinkering with some spacers and things to get the rearsets out far enough from the frame.  I used bolts that fit through the rearset holes with threaded hexagonal spacers that are used for tensioning or connecting two bolts together.  I also needed some hollow steel tube spacers that fit in the holes in the frame clamps because these holes were much bigger than the bolts to mount the rearsets to them (does that make sense?).  These spacers and tubes I got from Ace/True Value in the parts trays section.

The plate mount I made myself from the same aluminum used for the tach mount.  It was very easy.  I cut a piece in the shape of a "T" with the top of the "T" the length between the bolt holes for one side of the plate and bent this part up.  The leg of the "T" mounts to the bolt that goes through the end of the swingarm to hold the block for tensioning the axle/chain.  I just curved the plate by hand.

The clear (blue) gas line I got from my local bike shop.  Cheapest stuff they had for the carb drains and the only stuff they had for the gas tank.  Woulda bought black for both if they had it.

And from your PM:

Rear turn signals were just flexible LED strips from ebay.  Like these ( http://cgi.ebay.com/Flexible-Waterproof-Car-24-LED-Strip-Neon-Light-Yellow_W0QQitemZ260509071185QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca78cf751#ht_2155wt_1167) but they came with 2 and I got them for $5.88 shipped.  Just rig them up to the correct wires and replace the mechanical flasher unit with a 3 prong electronic flasher from any parts store.  Mounted them by glueing the strips together at the ends and glueing them to the rear hoop under the tail.

No front turn signals.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 05:29:17 pm by Gorms »

Offline JAG

• Expert
  • '74 CB750K, '72 CB500, '76 550K
« Reply #74 on: November 22, 2009, 06:39:43 pm »
JAG,

How to on the rearsets here: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=5724.0  Make sure you get rearsets with the linkage arm pointing up or down.  Not much you can do for actuation with arms that point fore or aft.  Yes they will work on 750's because I think they use the same 1" frame tubes.  The frame clamps come in different sizes so if not, just get the right ones.  You will have to do some tinkering with some spacers and things to get the rearsets out far enough from the frame.  I used bolts that fit through the rearset holes with threaded hexagonal spacers that are used for tensioning or connecting two bolts together.  I also needed some hollow steel tube spacers that fit in the holes in the frame clamps because these holes were much bigger than the bolts to mount the rearsets to them (does that make sense?).  These spacers and tubes I got from Ace/True Value in the parts trays section.

So you used the same rear sets as mentioned in the How-To (1998-2002 Honda CBR929RR/RC51) and took off the plate with all the holes in it?

I understand what you mean about the actuation concerning the arms, but does this mean Dennis Kirk has both that point up and down as well as ones that point fore or aft?

"I also needed some hollow steel tube spacers that fit in the holes in the frame clamps because these holes were much bigger than the bolts to mount the rearsets to them"

Do you have any up close pictures of this or the rear sets in general, so maybe I can figure this out better.

Thanks for you help.
Cafe Racing is mainly a matter of taste. It is an atavistic mentality, a peculiar mix of low style, high speed, pure dumbness, and overweening commitment to the Cafe Life and all its dangerous pleasures. I am a Cafe Racer myself, on some days - and it is one of my finest addictions. ~H. S. Thompson~