Author Topic: cb550 engine build-project "winter blues"  (Read 1394 times)

Offline d3buttz

• More than just an
  • Hot Shot
cb550 engine build-project "winter blues"
« on: November 22, 2009, 12:03:53 pm »
to pass the time this winter i am going to do an engine build with the 2 spare engines in my shop.  i completed a top-end build last winter that included a cb650 cam and i had a blast doing it.  the bike runs great with the porting and new rings.

this time around i am going all the way into the transmission for inspection and going to do another 650cam swap and i and going to do porting on the intake/exhaust. i am going to advance the cam gear 5-8 degrees by machining out the holes, it seems the one i currently have in my bike "comes on too late".

I found the oil had metal in it, so i opened up the cover an the cam gear is chewed. Also, the sides of the bottom case has wear where the cam chain runs-so i figure the tensioner failed(the chain jumped and rubbed) and (the tensioner)was replaced due to the minimal wear on it that i see.  the issiue i see is that the cam gear/chain wasnt replace so the chewing continued.

Here is the teardown so far and The coolest woman in the world that allows this kind of mess!

So here is my first problem-
i have a complete seized motor that i want to get the chain/cam gear out of- but how? to my knowlege icant pull the head off due to the fact that i cannot rotate the cam gear and be able to remove the two cam bolts.  i dont think there is enough slack in the chain to remove it from the gear that is still bolted.   i want the cam and chain- but it saeems the only way to get down into the motor is cutting the chain! Ideas??
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 12:30:31 pm by d3buttz »
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=80508.0

1975 cb750f
1975 cb550k
1972 cb350k
1974 tl125
1996 Nissan pathfinder
1972 Datsun 240z
2002 Nissan sentra se-r spec-v

Ryan 550k

Re: cb550 engine build-project "winter blues"
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 03:17:03 pm »
If you need any transmission parts let me know.  I have complete 550 transmission parts in a box that I ended up not using, from when I was working on mine last winter.