Author Topic: 35mm fork  (Read 29827 times)

Offline somesuch

• Hot Shot
Re: 35mm fork
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2009, 08:46:28 am »
Lindeman Engineering in Campbell CA. used to be able to hone, hard anodize, and polish the sliders of the older forks. From what I remember the "sticktion" was greatly reduced. They would also do their magic on the damping rod.

His forks regularly win at the national level... and personally, Lindeman modified forks that I have on my 03 GSXR1000 have transformed the bike, and now I smile every time I ride it. I was so frustrated with the front end before, that I was going to get rid of the bike.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 08:44:14 pm by somesuch »

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2009, 09:10:07 am »
Lindeman Engineering in Campbell CA. used to be able to hone, hard anodized, and polish the sliders of the older forks. From wht I remember the "sticktion" was greatly reduced. They would also do their magic on the damping rod.

His forks regularly win at the national level... and personally, Lindeman modified forks that I have on my 03 GSXR1000 have transformed the bike, and now I smile every time I ride it. I was so frustrated with the front end before, that I was going to get rid of the bike.

They still do. Way Cool!

http://www.le-suspension.com/services/forks.html
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2009, 09:19:27 am »
It appears there is also a suspension guru up here that offers fork plating services, revalving etc..

www.rmrsuspensions.com
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2009, 09:30:43 am »
Lindeman Engineering in Campbell CA. used to be able to hone, hard anodized, and polish the sliders of the older forks. From wht I remember the "sticktion" was greatly reduced. They would also do their magic on the damping rod.

Guys, I'm envious.... wish i had that kind of service in italy.

As you might expect, there are quite  few suspension gurus in the land Valentino Rossi, but none will touch Vintage components, neither am i sure i could pay their rates, even if they did. 

In any case, the stock 500 forks I am running right now dont have bushes whatsoever, so cant see how the hard anodizing/polishing process could work, there is no possibility to cancel the free play in them. I guess the post 72' forks have the same problem too.

so its back to what 35mm, twin bushes, forks to use. Ill start with an upgrade to yam 350's and then see.

TG

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2009, 09:34:35 am »

Guys, I'm envious.... wish i had that kind of service in italy.

As you might expect, there are quite  few suspension gurus in the land Valentino Rossi, but none will touch Vintage components, neither am i sure i could pay their rates, even if they did. 

In any case, the stock 500 forks I am running right now dont have bushes whatsoever, so cant see how the hard anodizing/polishing process could work, there is no possibility to cancel the free play in them. I guess the post 72' forks have the same problem too.

so its back to what 35mm, twin bushes, forks to use. Ill start with an upgrade to yam 350's and then see.

TG

It appears what Lindeman could/would do is hone the lower leg to a uniform cylinder, then the thickness of the anodizing would bring the tolerances back to cancel the free play.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2009, 09:40:23 am »
Like I mentioned I just figured out a way to double  bush early 750 legs, which will fit on your 500. It all hinges upon if the 73 and up forks will perform well.

The  Honda forks could be restored and improved by LE, First you hone out the bore in the llegs, then hard anodize, then hone that to the desired fit.

The added benefit is the anodizing is a superior surface with less friction..

Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline somesuch

• Hot Shot
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2009, 07:42:21 am »
Like I mentioned I just figured out a way to double  bush early 750 legs, which will fit on your 500. It all hinges upon if the 73 and up forks will perform well.

The  Honda forks could be restored and improved by LE, First you hone out the bore in the llegs, then hard anodize, then hone that to the desired fit.

The added benefit is the anodizing is a superior surface with less friction..

Exactly that.

Last time I was in his shop, I remember him saying that he was working on forks for some guy in Australia....So I know they do ship :)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 08:58:14 pm by somesuch »

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2009, 08:07:57 am »
LE's work sounds good, but as expected, not cheap and above all, not within reach for me geographically speaking.

will have to take a decision soon if to improve my stock fork or go with a Yamaha's

tempted by the last, just more to do in terms of making it work with the Honda wheel, brembo calipers, suzuki discs, etc.

thanks for the tips!

TG

who's hist BTW?

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2009, 08:18:51 am »
If you decide to keep the Honda fork, think about Maxton in England, it seems he does wonders with these forks.

Rob
Better sorry for failing then for the lack of trying.

Offline TWINFIN

• ...a ring ting ting"
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2009, 09:17:58 pm »
 I don't know if anyone here has seen this yet? But here is long list of bikes and there Fork sizes. Conversion Charts for Fork Tube Sizes & Steering Stem Bearings at
http://www.ohiocaferacers.com/  its under "Tech Tips" in the menu.

This could help with front end swaps etc.
"KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN AND THE SHINY SIDE UP"

'76 CB400-Four (my 3rd)
'75 Yamaha RD350 (my 4th RD)
...and a bunch of older XR dirtbikes

Offline paulages

• Old Timer
  • 1976 cb735
    • DOOMTOWN RIDERS P.R.M.C.
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2009, 10:47:27 pm »
I don't know if anyone here has seen this yet? But here is long list of bikes and there Fork sizes. Conversion Charts for Fork Tube Sizes & Steering Stem Bearings at
http://www.ohiocaferacers.com/  its under "Tech Tips" in the menu.

This could help with front end swaps etc.

that's a nice list. i notice that no british bikes are listed, and several had 35mm forks. my '71 BSA A65 has 35mm forks, and lots of people used to use the cb750 front end as an upgrade. i'm sure TG knows this though, and no british production bike is going to have forks that would be an upgrade.
paul
SOHC4 member #1050

1974 CB550 (735cc)
1976 CB550 (590cc) road racer
1973 CB750K3
1972 NORTON Commando Combat
1996 KLX650 R

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2009, 11:12:19 pm »
Yeah, thanks TF, ohiocaferacers are members in sohc4 and I know of those list.

At this point i've got a pair of RD350 legs nailed, will have to see how they work out

Paul, long time? have you sorted out that g'box problem?

im in sf till the 18th, coming?

Cheers
TG

Offline paulages

• Old Timer
  • 1976 cb735
    • DOOMTOWN RIDERS P.R.M.C.
« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2009, 12:09:18 am »
Yeah, thanks TF, ohiocaferacers are members in sohc4 and I know of those list.

At this point i've got a pair of RD350 legs nailed, will have to see how they work out

Paul, long time? have you sorted out that g'box problem?

im in sf till the 18th, coming?

Cheers
TG

hey yossef- didn't know you were in SF... maybe i'll try to catch a ride down for a weekend or something. been busy moving our shop and trying to get the BSA as reliable as possible as a daily rider. now that i've moved, i'll pull the 718 apart and examine the gearbox. even if i find the problem's simply with the shift fork or something, i'll still send the gears off to get undercut... and that costs money i need to come up with. i need to deal with properly bracing the frame and making sturdier mounts for the fairing, etc. which i should have time for soon. you should try to get up here for a weekend sometime when you're in SF. lots and lots of cool SOHCs and other classic/vintage bikes.
paul
SOHC4 member #1050

1974 CB550 (735cc)
1976 CB550 (590cc) road racer
1973 CB750K3
1972 NORTON Commando Combat
1996 KLX650 R

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2009, 10:11:36 am »
If you decide to keep the Honda fork, think about Maxton in England, it seems he does wonders with these forks.

Rob

I agree with Rob TG, if Maxton could tame the ill handling NR500 Honda GP bike, I'm sure he could tame a souped up roadster/racer. ;)

See pics from last year at the bottom of this page, MRieck and Ron, (Mr Maxton) Williams. 8)

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=38447.0

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2009, 11:00:48 am »
Hey TG,

Put some of these MAXTON prepped legs into one of my triple tees and think you have a winner:

They only weigh around 1.1 kg!

Rob

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2009, 11:04:03 am »
Hey TG,

Put some of these MAXTON prepped legs into one of my triple tees and think you have a winner:

Rob

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) Droooooooooooolllll  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2009, 01:21:48 pm »
I don't know if they are better than what you have but I just swapped the forks from a 79 and 82 DOHC 750 and had to swap the trees too because the 79 had 35mm forks and the 82 had 37mm ones.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 I smell like Lilacs, I've got glitter on my cheeks and it's all Joe's fault, he told the stripper it was my birthday.

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #67 on: December 09, 2009, 04:23:20 pm »
Hey TG,

Rob

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) Droooooooooooolllll  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

naah, thats too light, bike will wheelie way to easily,

;)
TG

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #68 on: December 09, 2009, 07:10:30 pm »
Nice work Rob

Offline Ricky_Racer

• Master
« Reply #69 on: December 09, 2009, 07:21:33 pm »
I was put on Earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Now I'm so far behind, I'll never die!

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #70 on: December 09, 2009, 10:59:37 pm »
more to the point, I was going to ask if you think you can beat the 1265 grams that motocicli veloci claim for their very nice cro-mo welded clamps......

so yes, pretty impressive, is the steering stem ally or steel?

complimenti!

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #71 on: December 09, 2009, 11:46:32 pm »
I notice a fair difference in the offsets of those 2 sets of clamps, are they for the same model bike?

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2009, 01:28:17 am »
more to the point, I was going to ask if you think you can beat the 1265 grams that motocicli veloci claim for their very nice cro-mo welded clamps......

so yes, pretty impressive, is the steering stem ally or steel?

complimenti!

Hey TG,

Yes, can beat the 1265 gr from the, gorgious, Veloci clamps! The stem, and the top and bottom, are made of ally 6082.

@Mick, mine are made for a 500 and the owner asked for this off-set of 25m/m. Not my choice, but his. You can play around with the offset, once made a set with excenters so one can choose from two setups.

rob

Offline livefast_dieold

• Hot Shot
« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2009, 02:51:15 am »
TG, a friend of mine improved the honda stock forks by welding the holes where the oil goes trought, and drill them again with a smaller diameter (can't remeber the exact value, but it was about half of the original).

In my bike i use progressive springs and a 15W oil, but I'm looking to install more modern idraulic parts as soon i realized if they fit into the stok fork.

Voxhonda, your work it's superb! I've your site in my favourite, after xmas I think I'm gonna place an order...

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2009, 08:39:35 am »
TG, a friend of mine improved the honda stock forks by welding the holes where the oil goes trought, and drill them again with a smaller diameter (can't remeber the exact value, but it was about half of the original).

In my bike i use progressive springs and a 15W oil, but I'm looking to install more modern idraulic parts as soon i realized if they fit into the stok fork.

Voxhonda, your work it's superb! I've your site in my favourite, after xmas I think I'm gonna place an order...

Thanks Ric,

yes, thats a well know trick, indeed, I welded the holes and even did not drill them again, left them shut

My fork is not bad at all and still, those damers are very very primitive, you will reach a certain point where they start to limit you, so like you, I also want to try more modern dampers.

TG