testy

Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today ?  (Read 1525869 times)

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #28075 on: July 21, 2019, 05:49:54 am »
Tews, that is a beautiful 400! 

Last Sunday I had to snatch up this $300 parts bike.  Shelby Dowd wheels with the rear disc set up.  Unfortunately, no title, and the bottom frame tube is rotted.  But, I got a good, titled k4 frame for this mptor...engine has good compression and a peek with the horoscope looks promising.

Thanks Sean! Those wheels are badass. What rear brake system is that? Have you swapped the rims on a rider yet or storing them for the moment?
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #28076 on: July 21, 2019, 05:58:19 am »

Last Sunday I had to snatch up this $300 parts bike.  Shelby Dowd wheels with the rear disc set up.  Unfortunately, no title, and the bottom frame tube is rotted.  But, I got a good, titled k4 frame for this mptor...engine has good compression and a peek with the horoscope looks promising.

Thanks Sean! Those wheels are badass. What rear brake system is that? Have you swapped the rims on a rider yet or storing them for the moment?
I was actually most excited about the Hurst airheart rear disc set up.  I have been planning a build using a set of kimtab wheels for years, but was missing suitable rear brake components.  These parts should work, which is good, as these parts are not found easily.

Hopefully, I can scrounge up another rear brake set up and use the Shelby Dowd s for a bike too.  Now that I see what is there, I can make a lot of the missing stuff.
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #28077 on: July 21, 2019, 04:42:43 pm »

I have a spare 750F frame if you want it.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki 80 (K11 probably, it's been 30 years), '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

Offline liberpolly

« Reply #28078 on: July 21, 2019, 11:27:17 pm »
(first post here)

Installed a new battery, AGM this time. Was surprised to find out that you still have to pour acid into the battery and charge it for a few hours. At least I won't have to top it up with water...

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #28079 on: July 22, 2019, 01:08:39 am »

That was a good pickup Sean, this is what you get on my side of the pond for $500 AUD, (about $350 USD) I threw away pretty much everything apart from the engine (which was seized with rust) and the frame which surprisingly wasn't rusted through, even though it sat outside for 10 years. What's the difference between Shelby Dowd wheels and Henry Abe? ;D

Terry's Swamp Rat CB750 28 Apr 2019 9 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #28080 on: July 22, 2019, 07:17:27 am »

That was a good pickup Sean, this is what you get on my side of the pond for $500 AUD, (about $350 USD) I threw away pretty much everything apart from the engine (which was seized with rust) and the frame which surprisingly wasn't rusted through, even though it sat outside for 10 years. What's the difference between Shelby Dowd wheels and Henry Abe? ;D

Terry's Swamp Rat CB750 28 Apr 2019 9 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr
They really do look the same.  Henry Abe was a Japanese company, wheels were made in Japan, I think they only made rear wheels with the brake drum cast in.  Identified by the HAINST casting.  Shelby Dowd was an american company somehow associated with Carroll Shelby (of Shelby Cobra fame)  All rear wheels I have seen or heard of were set up for a rear disc.  `I `have not yet found any identifying castings or stamps.  Then, of course, their are the Suzuki GS wheels that look very similar, also.

I been following your thread on the Swamp Rat II...amazing work as usual Terry
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 07:21:09 am by seanbarney41 »
If it works good, it looks good...

Online 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #28081 on: Today at 03:07:36 am »
Installed NOS case savers on Red.  I had them forever in my shop.

;
Honda