Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today ?  (Read 3148124 times)

maduncle

Re: What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #10875 on: June 20, 2012, 05:49:56 pm »
Mike - what shop in Austin?  The last couple sets of grips I've purchased from Cycle Gear on 183. Didn't think they had a great selection.

Revival.  They are on the expensive side but they do get some cool stuff from Japan.

Here is where I got mine from:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Grips-Beston-GT-7-8-Gum-/140763337736?pt=AU_Motorcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20c6261408

I can pick up a pair from the store as they are near home, and post them to someone in USA if required.

Offline CycleRanger

• No comment about being an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas Shop Manual Advocate
« Reply #10876 on: June 20, 2012, 08:36:06 pm »
One
more
time....
RTV of any color is NEVER an acceptable substitute for a proper gasket!!!
Never!
It's just not. >:(
Do you have a copy of the Honda Shop Manual or Parts List for your bike? Get one here:
https://www.honda4fun.com/materiale/documentazione-tecnica
CB750K5        '79 XL250s     CL350K3
CB750K3        '76 XS650      '76 CJ360T

Offline Really?

• I've come to the conclusion that I AM a
  • Really Old Timer ...
What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #10877 on: June 20, 2012, 09:05:42 pm »
But I made my fork seals out of the blue wiggly kind.
I don't have a motorcycle, sold it ('85 Yamaha Venture Royale).  Haven't had a CB750 for over 40 years.

The Wife's Bike - 750K5
The Kid's Bike - 750K3

Offline grachman

« Reply #10878 on: June 20, 2012, 10:16:34 pm »
Put on Napoleon mirrors...not sure I like the looks of 'em, but people in So Cal drive like idiots, so I'll live.
Glenn
"wake me up when we're all nomads again."

1974 CB550

Offline NewOldSchool

• Apprentice
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #10879 on: June 20, 2012, 10:20:41 pm »
Started my little project today. After 2 years and 16,000 miles of ownership (and constant regular maintenance) I've decided to completely sort out my '74 CB750.

To do list:

New tires
Change for oil (possible re-spring and gold valve emulators)
New top end gaskets and seals (motors out, why not a new cam..maybe)
Brass swing arm bushings
Clean and re-lube the chain
Carb rebuild and re-jet
New carb to motor boots
4 into 1 MAC exhaust
Various other small things...

Here's what she normally looks like:

Not putting miles on your bike is like not having sex with your Girl Friend so she'll be more desirable to her next Boy Friend.

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #10880 on: June 21, 2012, 02:29:37 am »
One
more
time....
RTV of any color is NEVER an acceptable substitute for a proper gasket!!!
Never!
It's just not. >:(

+1 mate, RTV (which is the abbreviation of the term "Room Temperature Vulcanising", I just discovered) sealant killed my first K1 engine, but I guess the upside is that it caused me to attempt my first CB750 rebuild in 1982, and I've been enjoying wrenching on CB750's ever since! ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline dhall57

• Old Timer
  • The 70's! SOHC4 Honda's & Marcia Brady of course.
« Reply #10881 on: June 21, 2012, 03:09:25 am »
Rode my 750K6 to work yesterday. I was running 60 or 65 on a looping on ramp and I noticed a bike coming up on me fast in my review mirrors. One of the biker boyz on his stretched out crotch rocket came by me on the inside lane running 80 or better I guess. In my younger crazy years I wouldn't of hesitated to drop a gear and crank open the throttle and show this guy what this old 750 could still do. But since I'm older and much wiser I kept my cool and just kept cruising along and enjoying the ride, and let the crotch rocket disappear down the hwy. ;)
1970 CB750KO
1971 CB500KO-project bike
1973 CB350G- project bike
1974 CB750K4-project bike
1974 CB750K4
1976 CB750K6
1977 GL1000
1997 Harley Wideglide

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #10882 on: June 21, 2012, 04:54:33 am »
Good choice!

Offline WhyNot2

• I'm finally an
  • Master
« Reply #10883 on: June 21, 2012, 04:57:59 am »
............................kept cruising along and enjoying the ride, and let the crotch rocket disappear down the hwy. ;)

This is just as I do everytime I ride.............................
If it ain't raining, I'm riding.....~~{iii}?~~prost

If it sounds like I know what I'm talking about, it's because I cut and pasted from someone else.

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10884 on: June 21, 2012, 05:50:59 am »
Rode my 750K6 to work yesterday. I was running 60 or 65 on a looping on ramp and I noticed a bike coming up on me fast in my review mirrors. One of the biker boyz on his stretched out crotch rocket came by me on the inside lane running 80 or better I guess. In my younger crazy years I wouldn't of hesitated to drop a gear and crank open the throttle and show this guy what this old 750 could still do. But since I'm older and much wiser I kept my cool and just kept cruising along and enjoying the ride, and let the crotch rocket disappear down the hwy. ;)

Although Marsha would think this was the mature thing to do... I know she would be disappointed in the bad boy in you.....I hear there is a rumor that she liked the wild lifestyle for a period in her life...........
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #10885 on: June 21, 2012, 06:22:36 am »
60 mph?  That's not even the speed limit. Marsha would be bored!
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline bjatwood

• I never claimed to be an
  • Expert
  • 1973 CB750-K3
    • Minbikers Proboards
« Reply #10886 on: June 21, 2012, 06:47:21 am »
I rode the 750 in to work today (in it's sweet spot) 70-75MPH
Love the OEM pipes sound, especially the burbble on decerleration.
Great morning here in Omaha for the ride, 62 degrees. Afternoon high predicted to be low 80's. Will be picking up the Wing from the Honda shop this afternoon with a new tire on the rear. Picked up a nail riding it on Fathers day  >:(
Brian

I believe that the Finest things are the most thoughtfully made, not the most expensive!
http://minibikers.proboards.com/

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #10887 on: June 21, 2012, 07:04:58 am »
Okay--

Got the carbs back on my bike today, turn the fuel on and no leaks! Go for a ride, come back and I'm leaking out of the #1, and #3 float bowls. But no gas is coming out of the overflow tubes. I just had all four off the rack, dunked them, cleaned them, and installed all new hardware, and gaskets in them.

What could my problem be?
Are you sure the carb overflow standpipes are not plugged?  Was it leaking out between the bowl and carb. ?? If so that means your gaskets are not sealing correctly. Are the new ones you put in rubber,sometimes its a good idea to set them first with some gasket adhesive so they don't walk around.Depending on the brand etc, it has nappened where the float can rub and hang up against a gasket protruding inside the the float bowl. Everything set to spec in there??
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 07:43:05 am by ekpent »

Offline iron_worker

• Master
« Reply #10888 on: June 21, 2012, 07:16:39 am »
If it's leaking out around the bowl gaskets that either means that your standpipes are clogged and/or your floats are set too high.

If your floats aren't set too high then your needle valve/valve seat are not functioning properly.

Your bowl gaskets probably also need replacing or are not seating on the carb base correctly.

IW

Offline iron_worker

• Master
« Reply #10889 on: June 21, 2012, 07:20:31 am »
Last night I finally got my CB750 K4 back together. Hasn't been that long ... only a week or so ... but I missed riding her. New reproduction 4 into 4 pipes from CMSNL.com. Spent a fricken fortune on them but my bike needed new exhaust badly and I wanted her to be factory.

Rode to work this morning and I'm starting to get the sense of what this bike should have been like back in the day. It's a great feeling. My dad used to always tell me how awesome these bikes were when they first rolled off the assembly line. He loved them so much. Now this bike was passed down from him to me (wishing my dad were still around to see the bike/ride it) and I'm trying to get her running like she did back in the 70s. Loving it!

IW

Offline Accolay

• Hot Shot
« Reply #10890 on: June 21, 2012, 08:49:51 am »
Prepped and disassembled two CB550 frames and parts for sand blasting in the wee hours of the morning. Discovered that the gauges off one bike may not be original to it. Keep finding weird PO modifications.
1977 CB550F

Offline JamesM

• Enthusiast
« Reply #10891 on: June 21, 2012, 09:59:39 am »
Okay--

Got the carbs back on my bike today, turn the fuel on and no leaks! Go for a ride, come back and I'm leaking out of the #1, and #3 float bowls. But no gas is coming out of the overflow tubes. I just had all four off the rack, dunked them, cleaned them, and installed all new hardware, and gaskets in them.

What could my problem be?

Are you sure the carb overflow standpipes are not plugged?  Was it leaking out between the bowl and carb. ?? If so that means your gaskets are not sealing correctly. Are the new ones you put in rubber,sometimes its a good idea to set them first with some gasket adhesive so they don't walk around.Depending on the brand etc, it has nappened where the float can rub and hang up against a gasket protruding inside the the float bowl. Everything set to spec in there??

If it's leaking out around the bowl gaskets that either means that your standpipes are clogged and/or your floats are set too high.

If your floats aren't set too high then your needle valve/valve seat are not functioning properly.

Your bowl gaskets probably also need replacing or are not seating on the carb base correctly.

Thanks for the help guys,

It is leaking out between the bowl and carb. I put new float bowl gaskets in all 4, used petroleum jelly and the slightest dab of super glue in the corners.

I reset the floats to 22mm, new jets, and everything. I dipped the carbs in a carb cleaning solution tank for 30 minutes a piece. Not 100% sure if the standpupes are clogged or not, can I test that while they're still together on the bike, or am I taking the bowls off to pour something through them?

Current Stable:

1972 CB750
1973 Shovel
1978 CB750
1977 KZ750T
1996 Shadow VLX

Offline skamagedon

• Mad Scientist-Gearhead
  • Hot Shot
  • My other car is a motorcycle
    • Arcade and pinball repair
« Reply #10892 on: June 21, 2012, 10:02:26 am »
Made my final adjustment, and the clutch is in the strike zone. Now I'm gonna replace my charging wiring and be done with that issue
1976 CB550 mutt "Tiger Pain"
(stock carb setup, unifilter, 4-2 baffled)
1976 CB360T "Resto Wifebike...wink wink"
Hot glue is your friend

Offline Soulsk8r

« Reply #10893 on: June 21, 2012, 11:08:28 am »
This is a great guide to adjusting the front brake:

Turn the adjuster screw until it draws the "B" pad (the "passive" pad that does not have the moving piston behind it) to within  5thou of the disc. Yes use a feeler gauge. Lock it in place with the nut. Now pump the brake until it is tight, then release. If the A pad is withdrawing properly, and the Master Cylinder is allowing it to withdraw as it should, you'll be able to measure your 5 thou clearance on the B pad once again. Smoothly, with no hitches.

This worked!  Thanks again for the tip.  Using the feeler gauge, I was able to get the wheel to spin freely, with no sound of rotor against brake pad.  Tonight she comes back off the centerstand and the pipes go back on.  Then I get to go for a ride!
Newbie rider, newbie vintage bike owner - Honda CB750K1.

Offline CycleRanger

• No comment about being an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas Shop Manual Advocate
« Reply #10894 on: June 21, 2012, 11:24:21 am »
+1 mate, RTV (which is the abbreviation of the term "Room Temperature Vulcanising", I just discovered) sealant killed my first K1 engine, but I guess the upside is that it caused me to attempt my first CB750 rebuild in 1982, and I've been enjoying wrenching on CB750's ever since! ;D

Yeah, fortunately I didn't find any loose pieces in the sump or the filters, although it did appear the filters hadn't been cleaned for a long time...
Do you have a copy of the Honda Shop Manual or Parts List for your bike? Get one here:
https://www.honda4fun.com/materiale/documentazione-tecnica
CB750K5        '79 XL250s     CL350K3
CB750K3        '76 XS650      '76 CJ360T

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10895 on: June 21, 2012, 11:27:50 am »
Thanks for the help guys,

It is leaking out between the bowl and carb. I put new float bowl gaskets in all 4, used petroleum jelly and the slightest dab of super glue in the corners.

I reset the floats to 22mm, new jets, and everything. I dipped the carbs in a carb cleaning solution tank for 30 minutes a piece. Not 100% sure if the standpupes are clogged or not, can I test that while they're still together on the bike, or am I taking the bowls off to pour something through them?
Pretty sure you've got a pinched bowl gasket.  pull that one (or two) off and make sure its properly seated in the groove.
'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
1974 550K0 (stock), 1973 CB350F (stock), 1983 Yamaha XS400K (POS)
77/78 cool 2 member #3
"Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t" - Henry Rollins

"This is my CB. There are many like it, but this one is mineā€¦"

Offline iron_worker

• Master
« Reply #10896 on: June 21, 2012, 11:49:08 am »
Regardless if his float bowl gasket is pinched or not he has a fuel level issue. The fuel should not come up as high as the top of the float bowl. The float bowl gaskets were designed to stop the bike from leaking should the fuel slosh up to that level. I don't believe they were designed to retain the fuel should the bowl be completely full.

The underlying issue is the fuel level is too high which points to the needle/needle seat not closing off properly or the float level is set too high.

Should the fuel bowl become overfilled for some reason the standpipe is there to direct the gas out the overflows so as to make sure it doesn't pour directly into the intake or leak onto the bike's hot engine (fire!). The best way to see if the standpipes are clear would be to pull the bowls off and remove the overflow hoses. Hold the bowl up to the light and try to look through the hole. You should see light through. You could also try blowing through the hoses but the hole is so small it may be hard to tell if you're actually getting air through or not.

IW

Offline bjatwood

• I never claimed to be an
  • Expert
  • 1973 CB750-K3
    • Minbikers Proboards
« Reply #10897 on: June 21, 2012, 12:16:03 pm »
This could be a overflow tube issue that has a crack in it also. We've seen that before too. So make sure to check the beass tube (s) for hairline cracks. And if there are some, use some JB Weld to repair them. HTH
Brian

I believe that the Finest things are the most thoughtfully made, not the most expensive!
http://minibikers.proboards.com/

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #10898 on: June 21, 2012, 12:35:56 pm »
Bad bowl gasket seal though could still cause a leak I would think just from the gas sloshing around in the bowl while driving etc. No baffle system per say. But if leaking out of gasket area while parked than the level is too high. Point is though there should not be a leak there regardless and the overflow would take the excess. Better get in there and double check that stuff----------  again     :'(    Did we hear what bike yet ??
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 01:19:48 pm by ekpent »

Offline Brit550

« Reply #10899 on: June 21, 2012, 12:37:05 pm »
Rode it like it was meant to be ridden, with all four cylinders firing. Felt good!!