Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today ?  (Read 3156962 times)

Offline maduncle

• Don't confuse me with a
  • Hot Shot
Re: What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #17625 on: May 24, 2014, 04:53:59 am »

I spent a glorious day in my new super sized workshop.

Put a Virago 250 back together to then sell.

Cleaned up some Honda parts for the road racer.

Made space for the 1968 Yamaha YCS1 I bought a few days ago - pick it up tomorrow.

That's the thing about having space for more bikes...
CB750K2 (only slightly modified)

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #17626 on: May 24, 2014, 06:10:20 am »

I spent a glorious day in my new super sized workshop.

Put a Virago 250 back together to then sell.

Cleaned up some Honda parts for the road racer.

Made space for the 1968 Yamaha YCS1 I bought a few days ago - pick it up tomorrow.

That's the thing about having space for more bikes...

Its the "closet (and shop space) dictum"

"No matter how big it is, a human will always fill it".
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline bigjoshc

« Reply #17627 on: May 24, 2014, 06:58:34 am »
I learned (thanks to this forum) how to take out the emulsion tube from my carbs. I didn't do this on the first clean. Holy crap!  No wonder I couldn't get the bike to run right. Thanks SOHC4!
1973 CB350F

Offline thrutheframe

• Expert
  • did you bleed when you built that?
« Reply #17628 on: May 24, 2014, 05:53:28 pm »

Rewired the finch box, replaced coils, cleaned carbs, set timing, cleaned up the advance mechanism.  Dude's bike never sounded so good.
'74 cb 750 K4
'79 CB 650 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=83981.0
'75 CB 360T
'90 RC31 Hawk GT

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
  • Do not cause harm, nor respond to harm with harm.
« Reply #17629 on: May 24, 2014, 07:19:55 pm »
Stripped the frame down to bare metal, slathered in rust dissolver for overnight treatment. Tomorrow, time to prime!

AJK

« Reply #17630 on: May 25, 2014, 12:39:49 am »
I ended up preparing a spare swingarm. This has a bit of work to go but will eventually go on my K2 cb750 as there is about 3mm side-play at the rear wheel on my current one. Just cleaning the 40 year old dirt off it, then paint stripping, then more cleaning, then brush on some phosporic acid and wash off some 15 mins later. Then I moved on to getting the old bushes out as they were borderline out of spec. As expected, they were happy being in there so they needed a bit of persuasion. Applying heat does wonders.
  I'd say i'll end up going with item (Part #: 28-1026) from here.
  http://www.vintagecb750.com/products/3/suspension/57/swing-arm-bushings-steering-dampers

PS: The site says these are for 76 to 78, but could i get someone to PM me & confirm that these are also ok for the K1 to K5? Mine is a K2. I'm pretty sure i've read that this part will fit all bikes if you leave out the end cap and felt washer but just wanted a confirmation from someone.

fast forward to here http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=61168.msg1556816#msg1556816
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 07:58:38 pm by AJK »

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #17631 on: May 25, 2014, 05:54:47 pm »
I learned (thanks to this forum) how to take out the emulsion tube from my carbs. I didn't do this on the first clean. Holy crap!  No wonder I couldn't get the bike to run right. Thanks SOHC4!

Being a member here improves Honda mechanical understanding+  ;)
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #17632 on: May 26, 2014, 04:15:06 am »
I ended up preparing a spare swingarm. This has a bit of work to go but will eventually go on my K2 cb750 as there is about 3mm side-play at the rear wheel on my current one. Just cleaning the 40 year old dirt off it, then paint stripping, then more cleaning, then brush on some phosporic acid and wash off some 15 mins later. Then I moved on to getting the old bushes out as they were borderline out of spec. As expected, they were happy being in there so they needed a bit of persuasion. Applying heat does wonders.
  http://www.vintagecb750.com/products/3/suspension/57/swing-arm-bushings-steering-dampers

PS: The site says these are for 76 to 78, but could i get someone to PM me & confirm that these are also ok for the K1 to K5? Mine is a K2. I'm pretty sure i've read that this part will fit all bikes if you leave out the end cap and felt washer but just wanted a confirmation from someone.

G'Day Alex, I PM'd you, but yep, the later bushes are great, as you don't need the OEM felt grease seals and plastic end caps.

If you go to Milestone Chemicals you can buy 5 litres of pure phosphoric acid (not that watered down crap from Bunnings etc) for 30 bucks. It's branded as "Phos Wash" (used for cleaning dairies) and you can dilute with up to 10 litres of water, and then just dump your swingarm in there for an hour or two, and it'll clean up like new.

Don't leave it in for too long (like for a couple of days) or it'll eat the cast axle plates. Don't ask me how I know................ ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

AJK

« Reply #17633 on: May 26, 2014, 05:10:13 am »

G'Day Alex, I PM'd you, but yep, the later bushes are great, as you don't need the OEM felt grease seals and plastic end caps.

If you go to Milestone Chemicals you can buy 5 litres of pure phosphoric acid (not that watered down crap from Bunnings etc) for 30 bucks. It's branded as "Phos Wash" (used for cleaning dairies) and you can dilute with up to 10 litres of water, and then just dump your swingarm in there for an hour or two, and it'll clean up like new.

Don't leave it in for too long (like for a couple of days) or it'll eat the cast axle plates. Don't ask me how I know................ ;D

Hi Terry,

Many thanks for the PM. That was the exact answer i was hoping to get. The felt washers must have vapourised as they are not there. The plastic end caps are there, but as you said, going the top hat bushings will make those parts redundant anyway.

Thanks for the heads up with Milestone Chemicals. I'll have to chase that up for some other items.
 With the phosphoric acid, i just use this stuff from 3M
http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fs.productreview.com.au%2Fproducts%2Fimages%2F3m-rust-dissolver_4d363e5954ee6.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.productreview.com.au%2Fp%2F3m-rust-barrier.html&h=400&w=400&tbnid=TehAgqEl_19SEM%3A&zoom=1&docid=NIs2WsiOospplM&ei=riyDU5zAKouWkwX6nYHQDA&tbm=isch&ved=0CFMQMygAMAA&iact=rc&uact=3&dur=537&page=1&start=0&ndsp=24

Its fairly concentrated and i just brush it on and leave it for about 15 mins, then hose off. If it needs another pass, then i just repeat. It reacts pretty quick (froths up on the surface), within seconds.

Thanks again mate.

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #17634 on: May 26, 2014, 03:47:12 pm »
Fully stripped and wire wheeled the frame down to bare steel, then primed with self etching primer. Tomorrow, paint!

Offline Pjm911

« Reply #17635 on: May 26, 2014, 03:57:04 pm »
Replaced the o-rings in the intake ports and the leaking ones in the valve caps, ordered a replacement shift shaft seal, and ordered new carb float bowl gaskets. This bike had minimal maintenance over it's life although it was used as a daily ride, so I have 37 yrs of crap to clean up, it'll be a fun ride :)

Offline Jerilee

• Enthusiast
« Reply #17636 on: May 26, 2014, 04:05:08 pm »
Took apart 4 pair of DOHC brake calipers then dissasembled all the body, suspension and break parts that will be PCed black when the time comes.
The brakes, MCs and Calipers were in terrible shape, corroded inside a lot. But it wasn't surprising. So after it was all apart I power washed it and the frames and put it all away in time for a little grill time and a beer.  :D
Jeri~
My F2 build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126314.0

77/78 cool 2 member

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #17637 on: May 27, 2014, 04:54:17 pm »
Painted the frame, HATING it, damned rattle cans spit instead of spraying. The primer didn't do that thought? Swingarm stripped, wirewheeled and primed, could be all for nothing if the paint looks like $hit.

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #17638 on: May 27, 2014, 06:42:10 pm »
Painted the frame, HATING it, damned rattle cans spit instead of spraying. The primer didn't do that thought? Swingarm stripped, wirewheeled and primed, could be all for nothing if the paint looks like $hit.

Using Rustoleum by any chance?...Larry

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #17639 on: May 27, 2014, 07:50:15 pm »

Using Rustoleum by any chance?...Larry
Indeed, rustoleum $#$%* cans.

Offline 750K

• Expert
« Reply #17640 on: May 27, 2014, 09:07:53 pm »
You gotta really shake the #$%* outa spray paint, who knows how long it's sat on a shelf for. Once the paint solids have settled to the bottom the tube will suck that #$%* up and spit it out, when in doubt ask the paint dept to put it in the paint can shaker for a bit.
77 Cb750, 78 Kz1000

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17641 on: May 28, 2014, 01:03:06 pm »
You gotta really shake the #$%* outa spray paint, who knows how long it's sat on a shelf for. Once the paint solids have settled to the bottom the tube will suck that #$%* up and spit it out, when in doubt ask the paint dept to put it in the paint can shaker for a bit.

I work in the paint dept and never would put a can in the shaker.  Have you ever seen one explode?...Larry

Offline 750K

• Expert
« Reply #17642 on: May 28, 2014, 06:09:41 pm »

I work in the paint dept and never would put a can in the shaker.  Have you ever seen one explode?...Larry

Seen them blow up in a camp fire, lol. We used to buy vintage rusto at a hardware store in the late 90's, they had been sitting for 10+ years and the paint had settled at the bottom as a sludge. We always put them in the paint shaker, never did one blow up. Not saying it couldn't but from my first hand experience I've never had a problem with it, I'd do it in a heartbeat and not worry about it at all. You need heat in the equation for a can to explode, it might puncture but you'll just get a big mess if that happens. 
77 Cb750, 78 Kz1000

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17643 on: May 28, 2014, 06:20:34 pm »

Seen them blow up in a camp fire, lol. We used to buy vintage rusto at a hardware store in the late 90's, they had been sitting for 10+ years and the paint had settled at the bottom as a sludge. We always put them in the paint shaker, never did one blow up. Not saying it couldn't but from my first hand experience I've never had a problem with it, I'd do it in a heartbeat and not worry about it at all. You need heat in the equation for a can to explode, it might puncture but you'll just get a big mess if that happens. 

and I'm not cleaning up a big mess, plus  hazmat would have to be notified due to the spill.  and I'd probably be fired if that happened

Offline nccb

• Expert
  • 1974 CB750 Four
« Reply #17644 on: May 28, 2014, 06:26:19 pm »
I used to mix paint.  Luckily I never had one explode, but I have seen guys who accidentally put a quart in with a gallon and I have seen some cans fail due to the machine and spill all over the place.  It is not fun to clean. . .

DH

« Reply #17645 on: May 28, 2014, 06:42:06 pm »
Spent a good part of today discovering how alcahol in fuel affects rubber and plastic parts.  Shrunk k/n factory style to the point where it won't mount and seal properly in the air box any more. Probably have to throw it away. Wiring harness sleeve getting
hard to deal with. Carb boots of course bad as well as air cleaner boots that
are rock hard. (they are originals though...) and learning that adding anything extra electrically is a pain in the ass due to space constraints. One of those days where you just have to walk away after you've dis assembled and re assembled things a dozen times, with that little "something extra" that rears its ugly head just when you go to button it all up. Gettin tired of goin back to the old drawing board. I spent a lot of time there today, even after class. >:(

AJK

« Reply #17646 on: May 30, 2014, 12:28:12 am »
A continuation from here http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=61168.msg1554563#msg1554563

I ended up tapping some M6 grease nipples on each end of the swingarm pivot bolt. This should make for easier maintenance. Now i just have to get my bushings. They come in a pack of 2 for $5.

Fast forward to here http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=61168.msg1571398#msg1571398
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 07:59:45 pm by AJK »

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17647 on: May 30, 2014, 04:43:14 am »
That looks good Alex, did you have any trouble tapping the holes? Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

AJK

« Reply #17648 on: May 30, 2014, 04:56:40 am »
That looks good Alex, did you have any trouble tapping the holes? Cheers, Terry. ;D
Hi Terry, yes mate i did, but i eventually won. I had real trouble getting the tap started due to the pivot being so hard. I had to get a taper into the opening just so i could get an initial bite to start the thread. I had 2 x M6 taps to try, a good one and a chinese cheapy. I just couldn't seem to get a bite with the good one, so ended up using the cheapy to get it started, then finished up with the good one. I used a 5mm ARTU drill bit which was no problem, but this pivot bolt will eat a cheap drill bit for breakfast. No doubt, that pivot bolt is a quality part.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 04:58:38 am by AJK »

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17649 on: May 30, 2014, 05:01:38 am »
Thanks for that info Alex, I might give it a crack on my Ki's swinger, I haven't greased it in years! ;D