Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today ?  (Read 3166268 times)

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
Re: What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #19100 on: January 15, 2015, 08:30:59 am »
My everyday rider 750 went in for surgery yesterday to replace the extremely notchy steering bearings with rollers. Needed new fork boots as one was ripped and guess I'll do some fork seals also while its apart.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #19101 on: January 15, 2015, 05:10:31 pm »
I see that Kawasaki back there, Eric!  Might roll mine out this weekend, forecast is warm and sunny.

What exactly is is your jack touching? pipes??
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Jerry E.

• Enthusiast
« Reply #19102 on: January 15, 2015, 06:27:54 pm »
Took my seat pan to the upholstery shop, took my powder coater the last two small pieces I need done, and made an appointment at the body shop to get my seat/tank painted in a couple weeks. This past week I have installed my new Tarrozi rear sets, installed new speedo/tach gauges, front turn signals, and have done most of the wiring(new harness). Added a rear lite module, so I can run the turn signals as brake lights, and running lights, too. Wired in the voltage regulator/rectifier combo, the Hondaman transistor ignition box, and all the headlight wiring except front signals. I plan on putting the bike in a local bike show next month, so am pushing to get finished.
"Why jump from perfectly good airplanes? Because the door opens."

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #19103 on: January 15, 2015, 07:44:36 pm »
I see that Kawasaki back there, Eric!  Might roll mine out this weekend, forecast is warm and sunny.

What exactly is is your jack touching? pipes??
I have a block of wood that goes in between the pipes and rests on the bottom of the engine and oil filter mount.  Enjoy your ride, be quite awhile around here, here's hoping warmer weather is headed your way !!

Offline hellraiserDLX

• Enthusiast
« Reply #19104 on: January 16, 2015, 05:13:23 am »
Took apart my 20k mile 82 650 motor for my 550 swap. Starting to clean up the head a bit before the regasket ing process

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #19105 on: January 16, 2015, 05:31:38 am »

My everyday rider 750 went in for surgery yesterday to replace the extremely notchy steering bearings with rollers. Needed new fork boots as one was ripped and guess I'll do some fork seals also while its apart.

Going to be doing the same thing in a month or so...but in a non-heated shed. And I'm in the north east. Could be worse I guess; I could not have a bike to work on at all!

---
1978 Honda CB550K

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #19106 on: January 16, 2015, 08:14:13 pm »
Cranked over the K4 after it sitting for about a month cuz of crap weather. After 3, 10 second attempts, my new Scorpoin battery slowly died til it would no longer crank. A few kicks and the 836 roared to life and I was off on a sunset cruise on this beautiful day.
I don't believe the battery was fully charged when I bought it and obviously I should have charged it.
It s now charging.....
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #19107 on: January 16, 2015, 09:08:02 pm »

Going to be doing the same thing in a month or so...but in a non-heated shed. And I'm in the north east. Could be worse I guess; I could not have a bike to work on at all!

---
1978 Honda CB550K

Dave,I can take about 2+ hrs. working like that myself.. Brrrr .I've got lot's of parts & a couple engines upstairs in my Apt.(4th flr.) & it sure beats working out at storage,just hope the Apt. manager doesn't pop in unexpectantly  :o
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #19108 on: January 16, 2015, 10:27:35 pm »

---
1978 Honda CB550K

Dave,I can take about 2+ hrs. working like that myself.. Brrrr .I've got lot's of parts & a couple engines upstairs in my Apt.(4th flr.) & it sure beats working out at storage,just hope the Apt. manager doesn't pop in unexpectantly  :o

Ha, just say it's abstract art or something. Or just come clean and hope he's a member here, haha.

---
1978 Honda CB550K

Offline maduncle

• Don't confuse me with a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #19109 on: January 17, 2015, 01:52:23 am »

I rode my 500/4 up and down the street for the first time.

All good, except for a sticky throttle that does not always return.

Question - should I just go get new cables (these are the originals) or is there something I should lubricate?
CB750K2 (only slightly modified)

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #19110 on: January 17, 2015, 04:37:56 am »
Uncle - double check there is a gap between throttle and brake lever at the handlebar. Could be so tight there the return cable is not strong enough. You can also lube the cables. Shoot some spray lube between coiled wire and sheath. Might be some corrosion in there, but could easily be pinched cable routing or as mentioned, too little gap at the handle.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #19111 on: January 17, 2015, 06:18:35 am »
Now that it is complete, I find myself liking that way more than I expected to, based on what parts you are using.  This has been a fun thread because you got it done fast and ended up with functional motorcycle, without much "build thread rambling".  Nice job.
If it works good, it looks good...

Markcb750

« Reply #19112 on: January 17, 2015, 12:43:02 pm »
Today the K6 got a new transmission cover gasket & a new gear shift seal.  bought both a Honda part & a standard 14  28 x 7  seal, The standard seal looked more robust across the primary & dust lips, so I put it in. 

I had installed cartridge emulators last spring, was not happy with the performance over bumps, so I changed the fork oil to 10w from 15W.  Took a nice 40 mile ride on known roads, Much better. 

Looks like the Honda Brake Piston seal is performing better than the eBay deluxe.

Next winter job; Oil pup rebuild with the parts I bought from Elan.   

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
  • Do not cause harm, nor respond to harm with harm.
« Reply #19113 on: January 17, 2015, 04:30:41 pm »
Started assembling controls, finished the left one, stumped on the right because of this

Online RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #19114 on: January 17, 2015, 05:37:14 pm »
Edward,  might be from a different bike as oriented 90 degree out...
case of stump the chump. Plus, no contact pad...
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #19115 on: January 17, 2015, 05:56:01 pm »
Yep, right one was what came with the controls, damaged during shipping, left one I refurbed, but its from later year bikes, need a good one for k2

Offline Jo3f1sh

• Still don't have a jacket, even though I'm a
« Reply #19116 on: January 18, 2015, 09:46:41 am »
Ran outta gas...

1974 Honda CB350 Four

Build thread: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=138848.0

Offline strynboen

• Old Timer
    • http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=rkpc1m83hacop344rm8mr17jj1&/topic,60973.0.html
« Reply #19117 on: January 18, 2015, 10:08:44 am »
i finaly faund a nice 400 four in denmark..

.its not orginal in all parts..but exept for the thanged parts the bike are orginal..the exhosts are marchall deeptone
it have nice bags,,and the old nice koni choks..rear fender are rusty,and battery gone..as the vorst defeks75,000 km

10,000  danish kroner,,old bikes are kosty and few in denmark..ve have salty seavater and rainy veather..so most  1970 bikes are ruined ,,or to heigh preised
i kan not speak english/but trying!!
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60973.0
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=144758.0
i hate all this v-w.... vords

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #19118 on: January 18, 2015, 11:01:15 am »
i finaly faund a nice 400 four in denmark..

.its not orginal in all parts..but exept for the thanged parts the bike are orginal..the exhosts are marchall deeptone
it have nice bags,,and the old nice koni choks..rear fender are rusty,and battery gone..as the vorst defeks75,000 km

10,000  danish kroner,,old bikes are kosty and few in denmark..ve have salty seavater and rainy veather..so most  1970 bikes are ruined ,,or to heigh preised

Seems like a fair price ($1555 US).  You going to buy?

Online RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #19119 on: January 18, 2015, 12:29:53 pm »
Check the frame carefully to ensure that it is solid. Then there is the issue of bent frames or forks on old bikes. Looks like a nice bike and a decent price given the rare nature IF it is what you want. The Konis are rebuildable and it has a nice fairing too. I like the Marshall Deep Tone exhaust.

Online RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #19120 on: January 18, 2015, 12:52:18 pm »
Edward,  could you  take a chunk of brass and file it to shape needed for the contact pad? I think I would take a short brass rod sized to fit the recess of the plastic top  then drill a hole through the rectangle or strip stock for the rod to form the pad.Silver solder the strip to the rod. Cut the rod flush with the strip leaving room to finish with fine files and very fine sandpaper. Trim the rectangle strip to size and finish as mentioned.  Then, since gold contacts aren't easily feasible for mist hobbiest I would flux and apply a layer of silver solder. Or, see if a jewelry store does electroplating of the contact with gold. If they resize a ring for $20 they should not want more than that to apply a layer of gold on it...right?

Once your pad is built, then rough up the back side and the socket and glue it in place with a drop of 2 hour or 30 minute cure epoxy . The short cure epoxy is not as strong.

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #19121 on: January 18, 2015, 01:29:51 pm »
Thanks RAF, I do have the contact pad and rest of it, details in my K2 build thread in my sig. For now, I'm just going to find a replacement knob and refurb it like I did this one. Its just a mistake on my part for not checking it before working on it  :-[

Offline strynboen

• Old Timer
    • http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=rkpc1m83hacop344rm8mr17jj1&/topic,60973.0.html
« Reply #19122 on: January 19, 2015, 05:34:30 am »
i have closet the deal...got it for 9000 kr and he bring it to me. pay at del...
.(in 2 month,have to vait to he opens his summer residens,,and then he bring it here..

have thekked for korosion and bend parts(cracks in paint)specily at stering head..and all are ok..i get it regirestered vith plate..nice to safe the money for plate..i hate new plates..they dont have patina

he vas sekkend ovner,,have got it for over 30 years...alvays stand inside..but not oiled the crome parts,,,so minor rust marks..but can be polished fine..
only rear fender are total lost..
its a time kapsel from 1980..all parts are from this era..and typican euro bike marchall,, koni,, italy seat..and loverings parts on stering head..and the side bags..
im in big heddic..bring it fabric. 1976.or 1980 typical as it is.....think i just make it running..and take one seson before deside the vay ..but not cafee/bratt for shure
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 05:46:17 am by strynboen »

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #19123 on: January 19, 2015, 06:23:10 am »
Kewl. Is that a Marshall exhaust?
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline strynboen

• Old Timer
« Reply #19124 on: January 19, 2015, 09:11:03 am »
i have marchall on both  my small  bike"s ,,the new 400 and 550...they have a nice saund..can use senterstand..and get to the oil filter..and lean dovn are fine..no scratcing in corners...its typical vith that sqvare konnektor..it takes some free space under the bike..but it are not a problem
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 11:58:48 am by strynboen »