Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today ?  (Read 3165790 times)

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
Re: What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #19200 on: February 06, 2015, 10:51:28 pm »
Made a parts list and set the parts on the frame. 23 items and six hundred dollars, c'mon tax refund. I'm gonna start a build thread next week, anyone who has spare parts for a 73 cb350f please pm me pricing and part lists. I'd rather keep the money between fourm members but DSS will suffice. Any real good deals i'll donate the difference to the site. Availability is kinda slim and i'd like to keep it original. It's V.I.N # CB350f-1032483 , are there any resources to find out the particulars of that vin? Knowing as much as possible before you start saves a lot of time and headaches. Cant wait to build this mofo. ;D 8)

http://www.motorera.com/honda/index.htm

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #19201 on: February 07, 2015, 01:42:48 am »
Well I decided to get out and do some work on my bike before it got too hot. (close to 100 deg F again today) The charging system on my 836 has always been dodgy, a few months ago I replaced the regulator/rectifier with a solid state unit, but to no avail, so I put it away until I got around to replacing the stator.

I found a couple of stators in my garage, so after washing off 4 or 5 months worth of dust, I removed the alternator cover, removed the old stator, installed the new one, and buttoned it back up again. The battery was so flat that it wouldn't crank the engine so I used the kick starter, and I was pleasantly surprised after a shortish ride that there was now enough charge in the battery to spin the engine. Lovely. ;D

I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline maduncle

• Don't confuse me with a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #19202 on: February 07, 2015, 03:23:04 am »

Nice one Terry, good to see that bike out again.

I have enjoyed riding the CB500 all week, mostly on short trips around town as I get used to it.

I think I need to do some fine tuning, there is a massive flat spot in the acceleration at the beginning of the throttle, but once it winds up it really takes off.

And I need to get a plug spanner, those inner two plugs are just unreachable with anything else but the right tool.

CB750K2 (only slightly modified)

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #19203 on: February 07, 2015, 06:00:45 am »
Well I decided to get out and do some work on my bike before it got too hot. (close to 100 deg F again today) The charging system on my 836 has always been dodgy, a few months ago I replaced the regulator/rectifier with a solid state unit, but to no avail, so I put it away until I got around to replacing the stator.

I found a couple of stators in my garage, so after washing off 4 or 5 months worth of dust, I removed the alternator cover, removed the old stator, installed the new one, and buttoned it back up again. The battery was so flat that it wouldn't crank the engine so I used the kick starter, and I was pleasantly surprised after a shortish ride that there was now enough charge in the battery to spin the engine. Lovely. ;D

[/quote

Terry, I love that bike!
If it works good, it looks good...

DH

« Reply #19204 on: February 07, 2015, 09:15:35 am »
I stayed up late and polished my bike's 341s using Johnie's special pipe cleaning procedure for stock pipes.
0000 steel wool +WD40, and finish with "semi chrome polish". Then hung them back up in the rafters. The 550's 323s are next.
Sometimes it's nice to pause, step back, and admire them all. I just love spending time with my pipes ;D

Offline strynboen

• Old Timer
    • http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=1l0vubqeem9gor1e2c79duinn3&/topic,60973.0.html
« Reply #19205 on: February 07, 2015, 11:16:59 am »
got the rear lighting on..have moved sidesignals dovn on the holder
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 11:18:40 am by strynboen »
i kan not speak english/but trying!!
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60973.0
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=144758.0
i hate all this v-w.... vords

Offline 750cafe

• Hot Shot
« Reply #19206 on: February 07, 2015, 12:05:11 pm »
Just bringing another one back from the grave. Needs carbs, airbox, valves adjusted, chain/sprockets, battery and exhaust.

Eric
Is there anything more fun than riding? They are between your legs and are quiet when you turn them off.

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
  • Do not cause harm, nor respond to harm with harm.
« Reply #19207 on: February 07, 2015, 12:23:26 pm »
Looks great! That's the same mod I'm doing for my K3, but with a K1 tail light bracket.

Offline bjbuchanan

• Master
« Reply #19208 on: February 07, 2015, 12:34:36 pm »

That looks good, how did you secure them? A nut and lock washer or what, isn't that tail light mount curved there?
The dirty girl-1976 cb750k, Ebay 836, Tracy bodykit
Round top carbs w/ 38 pilots, middle needle position, airscrew 7/8ths out, 122 main jet
Stock airbox w/ drop in K&N, Hooker 4-1

Don't trust me alone with a claw hammer and some pliers

Offline strynboen

• Old Timer
    • http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=1l0vubqeem9gor1e2c79duinn3&/topic,60973.0.html
« Reply #19209 on: February 07, 2015, 12:37:22 pm »
hey yes ,,,i have made some bushings to fit the kurved sides..and solderet them vith tin..and then bolted the pins on like they normal are..

i have a link to the 400 four thread dovn in bottom of my side
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 12:42:55 pm by strynboen »
i kan not speak english/but trying!!
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60973.0
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=144758.0
i hate all this v-w.... vords

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #19210 on: February 07, 2015, 02:08:05 pm »
Just bringing another one back from the grave. Needs carbs, airbox, valves adjusted, chain/sprockets, battery and exhaust.

Eric

Apparently they are piles of #$%* Eric, send it to me, i'll find something to do with it... ::) ;D ;)
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #19211 on: February 07, 2015, 02:52:47 pm »

Nice one Terry, good to see that bike out again.

I have enjoyed riding the CB500 all week, mostly on short trips around town as I get used to it.

I think I need to do some fine tuning, there is a massive flat spot in the acceleration at the beginning of the throttle, but once it winds up it really takes off.

And I need to get a plug spanner, those inner two plugs are just unreachable with anything else but the right tool.

Thanks Cliff, and Yeah, my bike needs some "fine tuning" too, I've got a set of 31mm CR's here that I need to throw on it next time I go near it, which will probably be in several months time, as once my twin turbo liberty comes back from the shop I'll be spending my free time getting it back on the road and having some fun........... ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline chewbacca5000

• I polish covers!
  • Old Timer
« Reply #19212 on: February 07, 2015, 03:28:01 pm »

Eric

That is a good looking bike there.  I have a GS1100 that I am tinkering with on and off.  I think they have the cheap $110 oversize kit for those on ebay.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #19213 on: February 07, 2015, 04:19:36 pm »
You'll probably find that the top end on that old GS1000 is still like new, I've had several high mileage GS1000's and was surprised at how good they were, even a couple that had obviously been abused. Great bikes, for sure. ;D

Offline Puntas13

• Enthusiast
  • '73 cb500 '74 cb750 '09 Triumph Speed Triple
« Reply #19214 on: February 07, 2015, 06:23:36 pm »
Finally got to ride it again.

Offline 750cafe

• Hot Shot
« Reply #19215 on: February 07, 2015, 07:52:35 pm »
Rebuilt a set of carbs, adjusted the valves, replaced the missing oil pressure sender, drained and filled the oil and changed filter.
Replaced wrong/messed up bolts/washers with nice shiny acorn nuts and Allan head bolts/washers. Polished the center exhaust down
pipes and called it a night. (This project is for a friend.  ;) )

Chewy, Terry and Retro... I have more than five of these GS1000's and only one of them is still a lowly 1000.  ;D

Eric
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 07:55:15 pm by 750cafe »
Is there anything more fun than riding? They are between your legs and are quiet when you turn them off.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #19216 on: February 07, 2015, 10:48:14 pm »
Well it's another beautiful day here in the deep south of Oz. The wife forced me at gunpoint to mow the lawn and pull down the Christmas lights, (well, they were becoming spider nests, so fair enough) but as soon as I'd done that I hopped on the ol' Battle Scarred Galactica and went for a hot lap.

I'd had it on the charger overnight, and it started on the first brush of the button, and up to 70 MPH it was as smooth as silk. I took it up to my secret road and gave it the berries, and sadly it missed and farted up to around 90 MPH, but it wasn't happy.

It felt like fuel starvation, but it could have been an ignition issue, either way I didn't stop to examine it, as I was 30 miles from home with few tools, and I was not keen on pushing it, so I limped home. (when I say limped, under 70 MPH it was fine again) It's kind of typical of working on old bikes, you fix one thing, and something else becomes an issue........ ;D

Offline seanbarney41

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #19217 on: February 07, 2015, 11:40:48 pm »
Ditch the garbage Dyna maybe?

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #19218 on: February 08, 2015, 12:12:16 am »
Nah, it's doubtful that the Dyna is the culprit Sean, and if it was I'd replace it with a Dyna 2000 kit. I certainly wouldn't be installing a set of ratty old points in a high performance engine, that'd be like installing drum brakes on a new Corvette...........  ;)

Offline seanbarney41

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #19219 on: February 08, 2015, 12:19:33 am »
Nah, it's doubtful that the Dyna is the culprit Sean, and if it was I'd replace it with a Dyna 2000 kit. I certainly wouldn't be installing a set of ratty old points in a high performance engine, that'd be like installing drum brakes on a new Corvette...........  ;)
ha ha...I think all my favorite vettes had drums from the factory

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #19220 on: February 08, 2015, 12:53:58 am »
Yeah, they did, but if you weren't worried about the originality you'd swap 'em for discs in a heartbeat, yeah? ;D

Offline tfrasca

• Enthusiast
    • CB550 Project
« Reply #19221 on: February 08, 2015, 08:13:43 am »
I have been commuting on my bike quite a bit lately, so I broke down and bought a pannier. I found one that matches the style of the bike pretty well. What say you?

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #19222 on: February 08, 2015, 08:41:32 am »

I have been commuting on my bike quite a bit lately, so I broke down and bought a pannier. I found one that matches the style of the bike pretty well. What say you?

Hey, that looks really nice!

---
1978 Honda CB550K

Offline OldSchool_IsCool

• Really feeling like an
  • Old Timer
  • WARNING: Objects in mirror appear to be LOSING!
« Reply #19223 on: February 08, 2015, 08:52:26 am »
I like the look too, but will it handle road grime and water infiltration?
Can I have a motorcycle when I get old enough?
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Lot’s of things. You’ve been watching me.
Will you show me all of them?
Sure.
Is it hard?
Not if you have the right attitudes. It’s having the right attitudes that’s hard.

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #19224 on: February 08, 2015, 09:23:01 am »
Is it canvas? If it's not waterproofed you can make a mixture of paraffin and beeswax and wax it yourself. I have waxed a lot of canvas for tarps, bags and jackets and water sheds right off. It makes it a tad more rigid too, which sometimes is nice.

---
1978 Honda CB550K