Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today ?  (Read 3160787 times)

Offline CycleRanger

• No comment about being an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas Shop Manual Advocate
Re: What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #21375 on: March 22, 2016, 07:15:05 pm »
Why don't you sell me that XS, I bet I can get it on the road quicker than 5 years!

You couldn't afford it.  ;)
Yeah, I might get antique plates, probably will, won't be riding this as much as the 750.

Thanks Terry!  Yeah, it's cooling off down under while it's warming up here. :)
Do you have a copy of the Honda Shop Manual or Parts List for your bike? Get one here:
https://www.honda4fun.com/materiale/documentazione-tecnica
CB750K5        '79 XL250s     CL350K3
CB750K3        '76 XS650      '76 CJ360T

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #21376 on: March 22, 2016, 07:38:36 pm »
That's a beautiful old Yam mate, and my favourite model. I must put one on my list...... ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline CycleRanger

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21377 on: March 22, 2016, 07:46:30 pm »
That's a beautiful old Yam mate, and my favorite model. I must put one on my list...... ;D

Yeah, I got it from the second owner. (The first owner was his uncle.)
The mufflers were replaced with new factory units in the early '80's.
The bike has been sitting for ~18 years and needs to be completely gone through.

I'm not sure I really like the color but I have a tank and tins from a '75 so I have a choice. :)

Good luck finding one for a fair price, I don't know how the market is there but here it's just stupid for SX650's.
And the damn kids are chopping up "cafeing" the runners as fast as they turn up.
Do you have a copy of the Honda Shop Manual or Parts List for your bike? Get one here:

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #21378 on: March 23, 2016, 05:04:43 am »
That Yam 650 is a nice looking survivor, congrats.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #21379 on: March 24, 2016, 04:20:32 pm »
Got Momo's K4 back on the road the week and just got back from a 30 mile shake down run, all good!

It's a bit of a Frankenbike, but after a carb clean, full tune, some new rubber and "exercising" some electrical demons, she is running good!

What do you think, Larry?

'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #21380 on: March 24, 2016, 07:34:11 pm »
Got Momo's K4 back on the road the week and just got back from a 30 mile shake down run, all good!

It's a bit of a Frankenbike, but after a carb clean, full tune, some new rubber and "exercising" some electrical demons, she is running good!

What do you think, Larry?.

Looks good, how'd the motor get black? Fire?  It was a bit of an electrical mess for sure, the PO before me had horns, relays, ignition all forked up. And told me the motor had been rebuilt but the cases started to crack on me so I gave up on it-sold the bike to Matt and was helping him a bit before he moved to SC

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #21381 on: March 24, 2016, 07:47:20 pm »

What do you think, Larry?.

Looks good, how'd the motor get black? Fire?  It was a bit of an electrical mess for sure, the PO before me had horns, relays, ignition all forked up. And told me the motor had been rebuilt but the cases started to crack on me so I gave up on it-sold the bike to Matt and was helping him a bit before he moved to SC

The motor was black when I got it, I just gave it a fresh coat. Matt changed out the motor with the cracked case. He also put a new harness on it, but that only solved some of the issues.  My buddy is an ex-Honda tech, he helped figure this nightmare out, we also changed the coils, controls, regulator and fuse block!
The engine covers are powder coated, I had them on the shelf for a future black motor project but decided to use them on this instead.  It's finally roadworthy!
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Desert-SOHC

• Expert
  • It's old
« Reply #21382 on: March 24, 2016, 08:26:53 pm »
Started mock-up of my forward controls...

90 F350 Lariat CS S/C Dually
90 S&S 11SC Cabover Camper
97 FLHTP (under construction)
11 Ranger S/C 2wd

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21383 on: March 24, 2016, 09:12:57 pm »
Well phase 2 of my long ride from Canberra to Melbourne (and back to Canberra on Monday) is over, another 200 miles has passed under the tyres of the big Yamaha today after the 300 I did yesterday, and I'm back in my comfy chair in Melbourne.

I have to say that of all the "Touring Bikes" I've owned or ridden over the last 40 years or so, it's the best, hands down. My back doesn't hurt, my bum aint numb, and I've got no aches or pains in my knees, shoulders, neck or wrists. Brilliant! Cheers, Terry. ;D

« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 04:27:15 am by Terry in Australia »
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21384 on: March 24, 2016, 09:26:30 pm »
Started mock-up of my forward controls...

Looking good mate, just don't have them poking out so far that they drag on the road around corners. I "scored" a set of after-market aluminum "rearsets" when I bought my CB750 K1 project recently, and realised that I can Chop the ends off the highway pegs on my Harley Sportster and turn them into forward controls? All I need is the time to actually do it............ Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline Desert-SOHC

• Expert
  • It's old
« Reply #21385 on: March 24, 2016, 09:53:33 pm »
Looking good mate, just don't have them poking out so far that they drag on the road around corners. I "scored" a set of after-market aluminum "rearsets" when I bought my CB750 K1 project recently, and realised that I can Chop the ends off the highway pegs on my Harley Sportster and turn them into forward controls? All I need is the time to actually do it............ Cheers, Terry. ;D

I will check to see what hits first before I go for a ride, but I'm pretty sure the center stand will hit first with it being lowered 1.5 inches in the rear. That's what hits now when you get spirited with her.  ;)
11 Ranger S/C 2wd

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #21386 on: March 24, 2016, 10:05:33 pm »

I will check to see what hits first before I go for a ride, but I'm pretty sure the center stand will hit first with it being lowered 1.5 inches in the rear. That's what hits now when you get spirited with her.  ;)

Why would you lower your bike if it's gonna drag when you corner? I don't get it??

Offline Desert-SOHC

• Expert
  • It's old
« Reply #21387 on: March 24, 2016, 10:27:54 pm »
Why would you lower your bike if it's gonna drag when you corner? I don't get it??

To me highway performance is more important than cornering performance and because I like it that way, you don't have to like it or understand it. It is what it is, everyone has there "own" vision of what there SOHC should look like and how it should sound and perform. Some like café style, some like choppers, and you can find SOHC's everywhere in between.
11 Ranger S/C 2wd

Offline ak-

• Instagram
« Reply #21388 on: March 25, 2016, 02:04:15 am »
Made an appointment so the California Highway Patrol can inspect it, lol.
abbi
1991 325iS Turbo
1977 CB550F

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21389 on: March 25, 2016, 04:35:52 am »
Yep, my Triumph Rocket III is fitted with "Footboards", which occasionally scrape when I'm going around tight corners a little fast. No biggie though, I can pretty much ride right around Australia without scraping anything. As much as I love riding fast in the twisties, most major arterials are pretty straight. Cheers, Terry. ;D 

Offline Desert-SOHC

• Expert
  • It's old
« Reply #21390 on: March 25, 2016, 08:35:57 am »
Yep, my Triumph Rocket III is fitted with "Footboards", which occasionally scrape when I'm going around tight corners a little fast. No biggie though, I can pretty much ride right around Australia without scraping anything. As much as I love riding fast in the twisties, most major arterials are pretty straight. Cheers, Terry. ;D

I hear ya Terry...I replaced the floorboards on my 09 Electra Glide from grinding them off in corners. I lived in the mountains then and was always grinding them in the corners. But your right...its almost impossible to scrape on main roads.
11 Ranger S/C 2wd

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21391 on: March 25, 2016, 11:49:20 pm »
Well part of the reason for my 900 mile odyssey this weekend was the need to have a "Roadworthy Certificate" inspection done by Jeff at Ace so I can transfer the big Yamaha's registration from the PO to moi.

I knew I'd need a new rear tyre, so Jeff had a shiny new Pirelli Angel ST waiting for me. The front disc rotors were pretty close to their limit and I'd thought about buying some eBay cheapies, but luckily Jeff had an "As new" pair from a 2000 R1 that are an exact match, so I'll take them back to Canberra and install them and some new pads before my next trip.

I was pretty happy with the price too, 50 bucks each for genuine Yamaha discs as compared to twice that for Chinese cheapies. All in all, a good day! Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline maduncle

• Don't confuse me with a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #21392 on: March 26, 2016, 02:57:10 am »

Well done Terry - nice score on the discs.

I spent the day chugging around town on a Honda Transalp 600, just to see what it was like.

Good points - I love the engine, it's a torquey V twin that pulls well and has a nice sound to it through the one pipe.

Bad points - I am 6'2" and I could just touch the ground when on the bike. The set design has me slid forward with the precious bits crunching against the tank - if I try to slide back up the seat i just slide down again. The bikes centre of gravity is somewhere just above my helmet, it has a bouncy front end and needs a bit of speed before you can lean it.

Overall - I like the Honda V twin engine, I like the idea of a scramble about town ride as an alternative to my cafe crouch ride, but not a Transalp. I would like to try out a VT500 Ascot - but you just done see them here all that often.
CB750K2 (only slightly modified)

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21393 on: March 26, 2016, 03:30:37 am »

Well done Terry - nice score on the discs.

I spent the day chugging around town on a Honda Transalp 600, just to see what it was like.

Good points - I love the engine, it's a torquey V twin that pulls well and has a nice sound to it through the one pipe.

Bad points - I am 6'2" and I could just touch the ground when on the bike. The set design has me slid forward with the precious bits crunching against the tank - if I try to slide back up the seat i just slide down again. The bikes centre of gravity is somewhere just above my helmet, it has a bouncy front end and needs a bit of speed before you can lean it.

Overall - I like the Honda V twin engine, I like the idea of a scramble about town ride as an alternative to my cafe crouch ride, but not a Transalp. I would like to try out a VT500 Ascot - but you just done see them here all that often.

Ha ha, if you think the Transalp is too tall Cliff, you want to try my BMW R1100GS, when it's on it's centre-stand, I can't see into the fuel tank when I'm filling it, it's above my eye level, and you and I are about the same height! Still, it's a great bike once you get used to it. The FT500 Ascot was a flop sales-wise here, and the VT500 Ascot was never officially imported into Oz, you might try importing one from NZ, the sheep fondlers got quite a few bikes that we didn't. Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21394 on: March 26, 2016, 09:23:10 am »
  Fired up "Big Red",1986 XL600R, for the first time. Bought it last fall with the partially torn down engine in a tote. Cam sprocket screw had backed out,hit the tunnel and broke the cam chain. Owner had just installed brand new tires and was going to do a full resto on it.11,500 miles on the odometer. Checked out head etc and put her back together with the help of a guru. Total cost so far including the titled vehicle is less than $350.00 so going to be a fun cheap play bike  ;)

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #21395 on: March 26, 2016, 11:34:31 am »
  Fired up "Big Red",1986 XL600R, for the first time. Bought it last fall with the partially torn down engine in a tote. Cam sprocket screw had backed out,hit the tunnel and broke the cam chain. Owner had just installed brand new tires and was going to do a full resto on it.11,500 miles on the odometer. Checked out head etc and put her back together with the help of a guru. Total cost so far including the titled vehicle is less than $350.00 so going to be a fun cheap play bike  ;)

Great deal! That thing will be a beast in the dirt!

Offline Dofilus

« Reply #21396 on: March 26, 2016, 11:51:49 am »
Took the bike for a short ride, the first after rebuild! Lovely❤️❤️❤️

Offline theslayedsaint

• Hot Shot
« Reply #21397 on: March 26, 2016, 12:48:27 pm »
Pulled the engine and stripped the top half off to replace the cam chain tensioner, now waiting on new gasket set from cyclex
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 12:50:22 pm by theslayedsaint »
1974 CB750 custom build cafe racer
-849cc big bore
-Webcam 63a
-APE rods
-4-1 stainless exhaust
-GSXR front end

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21398 on: March 26, 2016, 01:34:16 pm »

Great deal! That thing will be a beast in the dirt!
  With all the potholes Michigan is getting going to be pretty good on the road also Steve !!

Offline CycleRanger

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21399 on: March 26, 2016, 06:43:22 pm »
Here's that lovely XS650 today... 
It'll never be the same. ;D