Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today ?  (Read 3159642 times)

Offline Davez134

• Expert
Re: What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #21950 on: June 07, 2016, 10:45:12 am »
This screw stripped out on my K2.

Re-threaded it with M6x1.00 thread and used a new bolt instead. I couldn't find anything close to the original thumb screw that would fit in between the throttle cables.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #21951 on: June 07, 2016, 06:17:04 pm »
Verified dynamic timing. It was a bit off... Probably due, again, to the old condensors being replaced by the HondaMan module.

Setting off on a 1000KM journey over two days tomorrow.

Going to rain most of the time though. OH WELL. Adventure is adventure, no matter the weather!
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"
Delkevic Stainless 4-1 Header, Cone Engineering 18" Quiet Core Reverse Cone, K&N Filter in Drilled Airbox
K5 Crankcase/Frame, K4 Head and Cylinders, K1 Carbs (42;120;1 Turn)

She's a mix-matched (former) basket case, but she's mine.

CB750 Shop Manual (all years), searchable text PDF
Calculating the correct input circumference for digital speedometers connected to the original speedometer drive

Offline JetgreenK1

• Works good, lasts a longtime
« Reply #21952 on: June 07, 2016, 08:49:30 pm »
I managed to break 3 out of 4 float bowl drain plugs off at the head. Leaving the threads still in the bowl. So to vent my frustration I polished the crap out of the float bowls. Came out pretty nice!

Offline GritCity750

• 5th time's a charm!
« Reply #21953 on: June 07, 2016, 08:50:45 pm »
Finally got two brake rotors on the superSport........and they actually work!

Offline CycleRanger

• No comment about being an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas Shop Manual Advocate
« Reply #21954 on: June 07, 2016, 09:55:20 pm »
Rehabbed the speedo for my XS650.
The original gauge faces were faded and cracked and the PO had drilled holes in the glass plastic to reset the faceplate screws.
Apparently the screws vibrating out of the faceplate is a common problem on on these gauges and so was the fix, back in the day.
I found a nice set of replacement gauges but I wanted to keep the original mileage so I swapped the faces and glass.
I have noted the technique but this was first time I've cracked open a gauge.
Anyway, it took about three hours, the stainless ring was tough to bend.
Next time I need to do it it shouldn't take so long.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 08:11:29 am by CycleRanger »
Do you have a copy of the Honda Shop Manual or Parts List for your bike? Get one here:
https://www.honda4fun.com/materiale/documentazione-tecnica
CB750K5        '79 XL250s     CL350K3
CB750K3        '76 XS650      '76 CJ360T

Offline el pachuco

« Reply #21955 on: June 07, 2016, 10:17:21 pm »
This screw stripped out on my K2.

Re-threaded it with M6x1.00 thread and used a new bolt instead. I couldn't find anything close to the original thumb screw that would fit in between the throttle cables.

what is the purpose of the thumb screw? My '75 has an undrilled, untapped hole for it and I thought I had seen those before but I don't know what it's for.

Offline el pachuco

« Reply #21956 on: June 07, 2016, 10:20:27 pm »
The original gauge faces were faded and cracked and the PO had drilled holes in the glass plastic to reset the faceplate screws.
Apparently the screws vibrating out of the faceplate is a common problem on on these gauges and so was the fix, back in the day.
I found a nice set of replacement gauges but I wanted to keep the original mileage so I swapped the faces and glass.
Anyway, it took about three hours and worked perfectly! Next time I need to do it it shouldn't take so long.
I had the gauges on my K5 750 split open today. I used a flat blade screwdriver to open the crimp but I can see a church key would have worked much better. There's one to put in the old memory bank. Thanks for posting.

Offline CycleRanger

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21957 on: June 07, 2016, 10:24:22 pm »
I had the gauges on my K5 750 split open today. I used a flat blade screwdriver to open the crimp but I can see a church key would have worked much better. There's one to put in the old memory bank. Thanks for posting.

Church key.  There's a term no one uses any more. And yet I know it. :)
I get 'em for free at Home depot or Lowes.
It helps to sharpen them a bit.
Do you have a copy of the Honda Shop Manual or Parts List for your bike? Get one here:

Offline Davez134

• Expert
« Reply #21958 on: June 07, 2016, 10:51:17 pm »

what is the purpose of the thumb screw? My '75 has an undrilled, untapped hole for it and I thought I had seen those before but I don't know what it's for.

I use it to hold throttle open a bit at startup on a cold day to raise idle enough so I can walk away from bike, put on my gear and let it warm up a bit.

Offline el pachuco

« Reply #21959 on: June 07, 2016, 11:38:54 pm »

I use it to hold throttle open a bit at startup on a cold day to raise idle enough so I can walk away from bike, put on my gear and let it warm up a bit.

The choke doesn't work for that?

Offline el pachuco

« Reply #21960 on: June 07, 2016, 11:40:39 pm »

Church key.  There's a term no one uses any more. And yet I know it. :)
I get 'em for free at Home depot or Lowes.
It helps to sharpen them a bit.

The church key also makes a great spring removal tool if you roll the blade into a hook and narrow it a bit, on both sides.

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #21961 on: June 08, 2016, 05:01:27 am »

Choke adds extra fuel, but you need the air flow too.

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #21962 on: June 08, 2016, 05:13:52 am »

Yes the choke circuit on the 70-76 750 is very primitive, just a butterfly and no high speed idle cam.

Offline CycleRanger

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21963 on: June 08, 2016, 08:09:57 am »

It's also very useful when doing a carb sync.
It could also be used as a pretty unsafe cruise control too.
I suspect that's why Honda removed it in '75 when all the new safety regs went into effect.

Offline 88blkiroc

« Reply #21964 on: June 08, 2016, 11:06:05 am »
Made my own side plate/tail light bracket. I had the spare light in a box of parts I got and a scrap piece of bracket laying around. A few cuts here, drill a few holes there and ta da!  I took the rear fender off so I needed an alternate mount for the light and figured why not. The ultimate plan is to made a bum stop seat and eventually hang the light/plate under it but in the meantime it gets the job done.
74 CB750K slowly turning cafeish
74 CB750K parts bike
70 CT70 Trail 70
07 Yamaha PW50 (kids 1st bike)
Former:
01 Shadow Spirit 1100
88 NX125
68 S90 Dream

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #21965 on: June 08, 2016, 03:12:25 pm »
Anyway, it took about three hours, the stainless ring was tough to bend.
Next time I need to do it it shouldn't take so long.

Nice looking gauges, CR.  Wow...41K miles? Doing anything to the motor??
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline CycleRanger

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21966 on: June 08, 2016, 03:29:30 pm »
Nice looking gauges, CR.  Wow...41K miles? Doing anything to the motor??
Not... yet.....
I haven't heard it run yet. I want to get it running.
I'm sure it will at least need a clutch soon.
It was very well maintained. I have detailed service records.
Oil changed every 1K almost religiously as well as other periodic stuff done.
We'll see, it could pop after I get it going, who knows?

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21967 on: June 08, 2016, 07:35:15 pm »
I was able to get my new to me 76 750 running today for a brief time. Also took the 550F build out for a quick spin.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 07:55:38 am by Tews19 »
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.

Offline Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #21968 on: June 08, 2016, 08:14:40 pm »
Received the new clutch cable and key blank that I ordered from David Silver and yesterday received the smartphone mount I ordered from eBay. I plan to spend Friday morning installing the cable and adjusting the valves and timing chain in prep for leaving for Rockerbox Friday afternoon.

I'm going to take the long way up the Lake Michigan shore to Sheboygan and then across to Plymouth. Pimpzilla should get a scenic ride.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

Offline BomberMann650

• Holy Cow! I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Dr. Bovinestein iBa#80333
« Reply #21969 on: June 08, 2016, 10:58:13 pm »
Removed front speocket to inspect transmission shaft bearing.  I was worried about a "box of rocks" like noise she made on a two-up ride the other day.  It wasn't the bearing.  Noise was the result of a hasty pre-ride chain tensioning!  D'oh!

Anyway, front sprocket was wobbly on the spline and the chain had been touching the rubber puck a little too much.  So i put a bushing spacer in there and reinstalled the sprocket and chain.  Took a little extra care getting the chain tension and wheel alignment right before taking a short test ride to verify results!

As usual, There is still more work to do.

Offline maduncle

• Don't confuse me with a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #21970 on: June 09, 2016, 03:51:41 am »
Still trying to get oil pressure.

The bike is now with a mate of mine who works full time as a motorcycle mechanic. He has pressure primed the engine using a plastic garden pump sprayer fitted to the right side oil galley above the clutch.

The problem is possibly oil pump related, he thinks that a pin could be broken (?). Anyway, I leave it up to him to fix for me now.
CB750K2 (only slightly modified)

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #21971 on: June 09, 2016, 08:30:01 am »
You're not getting pressure when you fire it up??
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #21972 on: June 10, 2016, 03:39:12 am »
Still trying to get oil pressure.

The bike is now with a mate of mine who works full time as a motorcycle mechanic. He has pressure primed the engine using a plastic garden pump sprayer fitted to the right side oil galley above the clutch.

The problem is possibly oil pump related, he thinks that a pin could be broken (?). Anyway, I leave it up to him to fix for me now.

Did you ever find the cast hole in the lower crankcase to fit that tiny rubber oil gallery plug Cliff? You won't get oil pressure if it's not installed. Have a look at the linked schematic, it's item #2, behind the gear change cover. Cheers, Terry. ;D

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb750k7-four-england_model14390/partslist/E14.html#results
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Jonesy

• Shop Rat
  • Old Timer
  • "Damn! These HM300 Pipes Are Expensive!!!"
« Reply #21973 on: June 10, 2016, 05:43:22 am »
I cleaned and rebuilt my oil pump:

"Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing people out there having a good time on motorcycles; it makes me take another look." -Steve McQueen

Offline Davez134

• Expert
« Reply #21974 on: June 10, 2016, 03:37:41 pm »
Installed this universal cruise control thing on my throttle tube. Easy 5 minute install and no mods necessary. I just got it pretty much so I can take my hand off the throttle for a second if needed on longer rides. I've been getting this weird nerve type pain. So far works great for its intended purpose.