Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today ?  (Read 3159644 times)

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
Re: What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #21975 on: June 10, 2016, 05:31:33 pm »
Installed this universal cruise control thing on my throttle tube. Easy 5 minute install and no mods necessary. I just got it pretty much so I can take my hand off the throttle for a second if needed on longer rides. I've been getting this weird nerve type pain. So far works great for its intended purpose.

Ah oh, you're gettin old, Dave!
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline scunny

• Old Timer
  • don't call me expert
« Reply #21976 on: June 10, 2016, 05:39:13 pm »
reset the valve clearance, and shouted her some new plugs. see you on the road.
I'm the one with a smile on my face.
 ;D
past-cb100,ts250,cb500,cb500,gs1000,gs650g.phillips traveller
present-CB 650 retro
            VTR1000F3
           XL250S riverbed rocket
           TS250[sold]
           TS185[sold]
           XL125S[sold]
           MT50 (white)
           MT50 (red)[sold]
           KN250/XS400 project
           XR/XL250 bitsa under construction
           SL100[sold]
           XL250R
           pedal(pub bike) leaks oil
my gallery http://gallery.sohc4.net/members/personal/scunny

Offline Davez134

• Expert
« Reply #21977 on: June 10, 2016, 06:08:51 pm »

Ah oh, you're gettin old, Dave!

I'm reminded of that every time I train the rookies at work or play hockey with the 20 year olds. With that Toby Keith song "I ain't as good as I once was" playing in my head.
Haha just a sign of a life well lived so far!

Offline CycleRanger

• No comment about being an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas Shop Manual Advocate
« Reply #21978 on: June 10, 2016, 08:14:39 pm »
Put together a solid-state rectifier and set up a VR115 regulator for the not-Honda.
Do you have a copy of the Honda Shop Manual or Parts List for your bike? Get one here:
https://www.honda4fun.com/materiale/documentazione-tecnica
CB750K5        '79 XL250s     CL350K3
CB750K3        '76 XS650      '76 CJ360T

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21979 on: June 10, 2016, 08:32:30 pm »
On the 550...
Battery tray painted
Front and rear rims de-rusted and washed
Rattle can silver on engine covers removed w acetone
Front fender derusted w prep n etch, polished, reinstalled
Starter removed, cleaned, tested and reinstalled.
Front brake removed, cleaned.  Replacement piston and ring ordered.
Carbs and airbox reinstalled
Front and rear tires installed
Forkgaters and ears cleaned.
Gauges removed, cleaned, painted.   Replacement gauge rubbers ordered.
My day off,  started at 6am...
Beer.
Argentina wins.  Messi hat trick. 8)
'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
1974 550K0 (stock), 1973 CB350F (stock), 1983 Yamaha XS400K (POS)
77/78 cool 2 member #3
"Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t" - Henry Rollins

"This is my CB. There are many like it, but this one is mine…"

Offline CycleRanger

• No comment about being an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas Shop Manual Advocate
« Reply #21980 on: June 10, 2016, 08:40:13 pm »
On the 550...
Battery tray painted
Front and rear rims de-rusted and washed
Rattle can silver on engine covers removed w acetone
Starter removed, cleaned, tested and reinstalled.
Front brake removed, cleaned.  Replacement piston and ring ordered.
Carbs and airbox reinstalled
Front and rear tires installed
Fork gaters and ears cleaned.
Gauges removed, cleaned, painted.   Replacement gauge rubbers ordered.
My day off,  started at 6am...
Beer.
Argentina wins.  Messi hat trick. 8)
Well, I feel like a slacker! :-\
Do you have a copy of the Honda Shop Manual or Parts List for your bike? Get one here:
https://www.honda4fun.com/materiale/documentazione-tecnica
CB750K5        '79 XL250s     CL350K3
CB750K3        '76 XS650      '76 CJ360T

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21981 on: June 10, 2016, 08:53:58 pm »
Lol....10 hours of garage time.
Helped that the wife only had one honey-do.
My days get filled for me too often.  This was nice. ;D
'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
77/78 cool 2 member #3

Offline joeyvans

• Definitely not a
  • Hot Shot
  • God's Country, Earth
« Reply #21982 on: June 10, 2016, 08:56:01 pm »

Must feel good, Fly!  I am assuming the PnE is safe on chrome? If so, how did you apply it to the fender? Just dip and soak?

Well, I feel like a slacker! :-\

Uh.... Yeah. Same here. That is a helluva day's work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1976 CB550 K2
Non-SOHC4 - 1974 CB450 K7
Non-SOHC4 - 1996 VFR750F

"No matter how much you shake and dance... the last three drops go in your pants."

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21983 on: June 10, 2016, 09:00:59 pm »
I just treated the underside as the top chrome is ok.  Diet coke n alu foil scrub down, first....then painted the PnE on w a brush every 10 min till it turned gray.  4-5 coats is all.  Water rinse.  Dry.
My K8s rear fender was a mess of rust, pitted chrome.... so i soaked it.  Came out nice n gray.  Paint went on easy.

And this is how she sits.  Think im gonna name her Miss Patina.  Shes got a fair amount everywhere  ;D Might be able to hit the starter next weekend...
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 09:11:19 pm by flybox1 »

Past Bikes
77/78 cool 2 member #3

Offline BomberMann650

• Holy Cow! I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Dr. Bovinestein iBa#80333
« Reply #21984 on: June 10, 2016, 09:52:54 pm »
I just treated the underside as the top chrome is ok.  Diet coke n alu foil scrub down, first....then painted the PnE on w a brush every 10 min till it turned gray.  4-5 coats is all.  Water rinse.  Dry.
My K8s rear fender was a mess of rust, pitted chrome.... so i soaked it.  Came out nice n gray.  Paint went on easy.

And this is how she sits.  Think im gonna name her Miss Patina.  Shes got a fair amount everywhere  ;D Might be able to hit the starter next weekend...

I was thinkin of having an "Eat My Rust" sticker made for Bloo.  Should I have one cut for you and mizz P there?

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #21985 on: June 10, 2016, 11:18:18 pm »
Installed this universal cruise control thing on my throttle tube. Easy 5 minute install and no mods necessary. I just got it pretty much so I can take my hand off the throttle for a second if needed on longer rides. I've been getting this weird nerve type pain. So far works great for its intended purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a "Vista Cruise" Dave, they're cheap, but they're good. I had one on my BMW R100RS, and it was the best part of that whole steenkin' bike, I wish I'd taken it off before I sold the BM, but I figured I owed the new owner something for selling it to him............

I had one on the GL1200 I donated recently, I tried to make it fit my FJR1300 but couldn't, so put it back on the 'Wang. I'd bought a "Universal" cruise control but it wasn't universal enough, so I did some research on the information super-highway and discovered that a big cable tie does a great job as a "cruise control", and it's cheaper than a Vista Cruise, and that's saying something! Hey what year is your bike mate? I just picked up a K2 and the gauges look just like yours? Cheers, Terry. ;D

I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline alacrity

• Expert
  • Ride, Optimize, Repeat
« Reply #21986 on: June 10, 2016, 11:59:47 pm »
I yelled at it.
I recently restored and sold a 77 cb750f, and am nearly finished with a (former basket case) cb750k5.  This is a place to share, learn and enjoy.  I am grateful to and for 99+% of this site's membership.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21987 on: June 11, 2016, 12:28:55 am »
Well a couple of weeks ago my mate Fred told me that he's bought a "One Owner" K2 for cheap, because he wanted the head and cylinder block for his K1, which a "renowned" engine builder had rebuilt for his bike with an F2 block and head. On his first ride the engine burned over a litre of oil in approx 20 miles..............

But I digress. I thought, "Why would you cannibalise a "one owner" K2 just for the head and barrels? I know Fred loves his K1's, but that's just silly! Anyway, Fred offered it to me (less the top end) for an absolute bargain, so I jumped at it, and today I picked it up!

It's it purty?

No, not the bike on the left, the pile of junk in front of you! You see, "One owner" doesn't mean much when the original owner doesn't give a sh1t. So by the time Fred picked it up, it had been stripped, and many of the useful bits like original gauges, exhaust, seat, fenders etc had been thrown out. Great.

Anyway, Fred gave me another cylinder block in good nick, but the head he gave me was off a K6 or F1, so I ratted thru my spares and found a minty K2 head which I sat on the engine to make it look decent, and to keep the mice out of the bottom end. The good thing (yeah, I'm clutching at straws.........) is that the original owner kept it in a dry garage, so the (dented) tank was nice and clean inside, and from what I can see of the engine's internals, it looks pretty good, with no slop in the big end bearings. 

I'm in no rush to begin a resto on it, for a start it's winter here, so cold, wet and miserable, and I need to finish Mike's bike that I started a long time ago, but one day, it will be back on the road, as God is my witness...........

Mike's bike is almost finished..........

« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 07:37:15 am by Terry in Australia »
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Lostboy Steve

• Old Timer
« Reply #21988 on: June 11, 2016, 05:53:17 am »
I agree terry, one owner is a relative term. My bike was one owner w/ 8k and it looked like it was pulled out of a swamp.

On another note loaded up for a one day camping trip. I wish my sleeping bag didn't take up so much goddamned room. That whole main pack is basically my bag.

1968 Honda Z50
1977 Honda CB550K
2018 Indian Scout

Offline Davez134

• Expert
« Reply #21989 on: June 11, 2016, 06:59:28 am »

That's a "Vista Cruise" Dave, they're cheap, but they're good. I had one on my BMW R100RS, and it was the best part of that whole steenkin' bike, I wish I'd taken it off before I sold the BM, but I figured I owed the new owner something for selling it to him............

I had one on the GL1200 I donated recently, I tried to make it fit my FJR1300 but couldn't, so put it back on the 'Wang. I'd bought a "Universal" cruise control but it wasn't universal enough, so I did some research on the information super-highway and discovered that a big cable tie does a great job as a "cruise control", and it's cheaper than a Vista Cruise, and that's saying something! Hey what year is your bike mate? I just picked up a K2 and the gauges look just like yours? Cheers, Terry. ;D

My bike is a '72. The gauges are not correct. They are 73 or 75 I cant remember, but I got them from Stev-O to rebuild. My bike project started as a frame/motor only, so I had to find most other parts. I really didn't care about being 100% correct. So, instead of spending the money on a unicorn triple and gauges, I used a later style and spend the savings elsewhere.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21990 on: June 11, 2016, 07:45:05 am »
I agree terry, one owner is a relative term. My bike was one owner w/ 8k and it looked like it was pulled out of a swamp.

On another note loaded up for a one day camping trip. I wish my sleeping bag didn't take up so much goddamned room. That whole main pack is basically my bag.

Ha ha, wow, is it an arctic sleeping bag mate? When I was in the army, for many years we had crap sleeping bags, so in winter, field exercises were fcuking torture. My late, great mate, Greg Bitmead, loaned me his US Army issue arctic sleeping bag, and I spent a very pleasant week on top of Mount Puckapunyal, toasty warm while my fellow sergeants all froze their tits off.

The only problem was that it was enormous, so if I didn't have a vehicle to cart it around in, it would have been a PITA. Hey I love the bars on your bike, I kind of miss the pullbacks I had on my old K1 all those years ago! Cheers, Terry. ;D 

Offline Lostboy Steve

• Old Timer
« Reply #21991 on: June 11, 2016, 07:51:43 am »

Ha ha, wow, is it an arctic sleeping bag mate? When I was in the army, for many years we had crap sleeping bags, so in winter, field exercises were fcuking torture. My late, great mate, Greg Bitmead, loaned me his US Army issue arctic sleeping bag, and I spent a very pleasant week on top of Mount Puckapunyal, toasty warm while my fellow sergeants all froze their tits off.

The only problem was that it was enormous, so if I didn't have a vehicle to cart it around in, it would have been a PITA. Hey I love the bars on your bike, I kind of miss the pullbacks I had on my old K1 all those years ago! Cheers, Terry. ;D
Lol no, it's a versatile all weather bag. I use it more for its "mattress" properties. I am thinking about just bringing a wool blanket which would fold up much smaller. The weather tonight looks clear and 70 degrees, but something tells me if I don't have some insulation I'm going to wake up at 3am freezing. Anyhow, thanks on the bars. They're very comfortable because of the seat height on the bike. I'm fairly tall so my arms are just a bit below my shoulders. The same bars on a sporty would probably be a bit ridiculous.
1968 Honda Z50
1977 Honda CB550K
2018 Indian Scout

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21992 on: June 11, 2016, 07:53:44 am »

My bike is a '72. The gauges are not correct. They are 73 or 75 I cant remember, but I got them from Stev-O to rebuild. My bike project started as a frame/motor only, so I had to find most other parts. I really didn't care about being 100% correct. So, instead of spending the money on a unicorn triple and gauges, I used a later style and spend the savings elsewhere.

No worries mate, the reason I asked is because mine is a 72/73 K2 (we didn't get K3/4/5's in Oz) so I'm wondering if my gauges are actually correct for my bike?

As I said, the bike "apparently" came out of the factory with a frame number starting with 217, and an engine number starting with 222, but the original owner swears that the engine was never replaced, so it looks like it's got a 1972 frame, and a 1973 engine.

It doesn't really matter either way, I've got K2 gauges in a box somewhere.......... Cheers, Terry. ;D

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21993 on: June 11, 2016, 08:05:50 am »
Lol no, it's a versatile all weather bag. I use it more for its "mattress" properties. I am thinking about just bringing a wool blanket which would fold up much smaller. The weather tonight looks clear and 70 degrees, but something tells me if I don't have some insulation I'm going to wake up at 3am freezing. Anyhow, thanks on the bars. They're very comfortable because of the seat height on the bike. I'm fairly tall so my arms are just a bit below my shoulders. The same bars on a sporty would probably be a bit ridiculous.

Ha ha, no worries mate, it's good to have a nice warm sleeping bag, do you have "swags" over there? They're an Aussie invention, just like a tiny canvas tent that comes with an internal mattress and sleeping bag, and it just rolls up so you can tie it across your bike seat. Bigger again than just a sleeping bag, but good for camping trips.

Speaking of "Sporty" bars, the one's on my Sporty were made by Honda......... ;D

Offline Lostboy Steve

• Old Timer
« Reply #21994 on: June 11, 2016, 08:31:40 am »

Ha ha, no worries mate, it's good to have a nice warm sleeping bag, do you have "swags" over there? They're an Aussie invention, just like a tiny canvas tent that comes with an internal mattress and sleeping bag, and it just rolls up so you can tie it across your bike seat. Bigger again than just a sleeping bag, but good for camping trips.

Speaking of "Sporty" bars, the one's on my Sporty were made by Honda......... ;D

Hahahaha.
1968 Honda Z50
1977 Honda CB550K
2018 Indian Scout

Offline Lostboy Steve

• Old Timer
« Reply #21995 on: June 11, 2016, 08:32:17 am »

Hahahaha.
1968 Honda Z50
1977 Honda CB550K
2018 Indian Scout

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #21996 on: June 11, 2016, 10:57:56 am »

My bike is a '72. The gauges are not correct. They are 73 or 75 I cant remember, but I got them from Stev-O to rebuild.

Thought those looked familiar!  I believe they are K6...
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bike almost back to the 70's 2015
« Reply #21997 on: June 11, 2016, 11:39:28 am »

Green meters look like mine, K6-76. They were bluish the years before, right?
CB750 K6-76  970cc (Earlier 1005cc JMR Billet block on the shelf waiting for a comeback)
CB750 K2-75 Parts assembled to a stock K2

Updates of the CB750 K6 -1976
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180468.msg2092136.html#msg2092136
The billet block build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,49438.msg1863571.html#msg1863571
CB750 K2 -1975  build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,168243.msg1948381.html#msg1948381
K2 engine build thread. For a complete CB750 -75
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180088.msg2088008.html#msg2088008
Carb jetting, a long story Mikuni TMR32
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,179479.msg2104967.html#msg2104967

Offline BomberMann650

• Holy Cow! I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Dr. Bovinestein iBa#80333
« Reply #21998 on: June 11, 2016, 01:21:28 pm »
Not sohc4 but - Did some work in my bosses vs700 suzuki intruder.

Wrapped the upper wiring harness and really screwed the pooch trying to remove a throttle cable linkage. 
Phillips head stripped, used a speed out, halfway out the screw seized and caused my drill to smoke up!  Cut what was left of the screw head off, then the damn shaft broke when trying to turn it out with the vice grips.

Now gotta find a way to mickey mouse the cable hangar back into place.

All this nonsense just to clean gum varnish out of the bowls!

Offline TomsK8resto

• Enthusiast
« Reply #21999 on: June 11, 2016, 03:09:20 pm »
I took it out for a good ride, it needed it.  Then, I went to Harbor Freight who was having a parking lot sale and bought a bike lift at a sale price of $299.  I haven't told my CB750K8 bike as yet, waiting to surprise it!   8)

Tom
'69 CB750 long gone
'76 CB750F gone
'78 CB750K in progress.....
'09 H-D Roadglide