Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today ?  (Read 2972367 times)

Offline BRG-BIRD

• Enthusiast
Re: What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #27375 on: January 07, 2019, 03:27:30 pm »
Removed both wheels today to have them relaced with reproduction DID rims and new spokes. I had resigned to living with very rusty rims and spokes but this summer the bike developed as shake above 45 mph that was traced to a very loose front spoke that cannot be adjusted.

In my experience used CB wheels in decent shape are not hard to find or expensive.

I appreciate your response. I did scoure eBay but could never find suitable rims and it ultimately boiled down to the rims only cost ~$105 each plus the spokes. My hubs also had new wheel bearings so had to take that into account as well.
“You are either on something or onto something.” The Comman Man

Online Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #27376 on: January 07, 2019, 11:56:03 pm »
Another beautiful day, another ride. I haven't taken the big Triumph out for awhile, so it was time. Being Monday here there were very "Rubber necks" on the roads I like to travel, and so I had the road to myself for most of the 100 or so miles I did. Great day! ;D

Rocket III ride 7 Jan 2019 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Beautiful big Rocket 3 Terry. Reminds me of sexy street version of old Honda CR500.

A few of many advantages shared with CR.
 Largest displacement in its Class
 Big Torque
 5 Speed Transmission

Biggest disadvantage of bothe R3 and Cr5
 Only has 5 speeds

Best thing about 5 speed in R3 and CR5.....What ever gear your in....That's the Right Gear...😂😂😂

A Very Prosperous New Year

Thanks mate, it is a wonderful device, I stopped for gas on the side of a busy freeway, so when I went to re-enter the traffic I had to get it up to 50-60 MPH very quickly so as to flow with the traffic, which was relentless. I gave it a big handfull of throttle and crossed two lanes of traffic on the back wheel! The thing is so smooth I wasn't that fussed, the front wheel was only about a foot off the ground, and once I was ahead of the traffic I backed off and the wheel came back down without affecting stability. It was great fun!

I'd love to have a CR500, they're awfully expensive here, but I've got an XR500RE, the Enduro model that Honda built to compete with the big 2 strokes, and it's a scary thing to ride too. I must drag it out of the shipping container and fix some leaking seals, then put it back on the road, I've got some more dirt roads to discover in my area, and the old XR will be just the tool for the job! ;D

photo 1 (6) by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Terry's XR500 16 June 2015 2 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 11:58:06 pm by Terry in Australia »
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #27377 on: January 08, 2019, 03:52:48 pm »
Took advantage of the weather and rode Red for easy 50 miles through Virginia Piedmont.

Offline Mr.Mazza

• The man from down under
« Reply #27378 on: January 09, 2019, 01:03:20 am »
Finally got my roadworthy and club (historic) registration today
Spent a wonderful 250 miles in the saddle getting it all done. Beautiful day.

Snapped a piccy when I was getting the paperwork done by my clubs scruitner.

Driving a car is watching a movie, riding a motorcycle is starring in the movie

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #27379 on: January 09, 2019, 02:39:43 am »
Finally got my roadworthy and club (historic) registration today
Spent a wonderful 250 miles in the saddle getting it all done. Beautiful day.

Snapped a piccy when I was getting the paperwork done by my clubs scruitner.

Looking good mate, I love those old round K&N pod filters, you can't buy them anymore, they only have the cone shaped ones now, I've got a set of the round ones that I think I bought back in the 80's? Great stuff! ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline spotty

• Master
  • cb750....for when a Vmax is just too much bike
    • spottys world of vmaxes and great danes
« Reply #27380 on: January 09, 2019, 02:54:30 am »
Well after finally getting the bike off the rack and giving it a blast to work and back I can report that.
A ) the new stinko front tyre is a delight, sticks nicely which has got the front brakes back up to par
B) the newly refluided forks ( used ATF) are a ahedload firmer but have nice compression/rebound rate
C) the new ( to me ) Corbin seat is firmer, wider and a whole load more slippery. The slippery may be due to me having given it a good clean and leather treatment. Hopefully it will calm down a bit. Because it's flatter, wider and slippery its a whole load easier to get across to get some lean in the corners
D) the new ( eBay ) shocks are a revelation after the shagged Progressive ones that had done maybe 50K miles, they had no oil left in them at all and every bump in the road was like jumping on a trampoline...scary. they are adjustable for compression rebound height and spring preload
 the ride to work had me thinking they were set too hard but by the time I rode home it was all coming together. I haven't come close to the level of rapid and lean angles since I moved up into the hills nearly three years ago
It's like a whole different bike
On the other hand, the new headlight with built-in indicators seems to have robbed the bike of the ability to perform any sort of indicating at all, requires looking into
Another issue may be whether the headlight itself is at all effective in the dark. The down side of living in the hills ( up side is awesome fun windy roads) is no street lights and homicidal/suicidal wildlife. I have been attacked by a bastard wombat in the past due to reliance on an LED replacement bulb, he saw my candle like glow coming , I didn't see him until he tried to headbutt me off the bike at about 70mph. I replaced the LED with a proper 90/100w halogen which I have put in the new headlight so will have to see how it is ( literally..)
There should now follow a picture of the new shocks , about $270 on ebay, and yes they do look a bit (?) like Ohlins but I shall not be attaching Ohlins stickers, that would be tacky , however ' Oh#$%*' stickers of identical font would be much funnier
i blame Terry

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #27381 on: January 10, 2019, 02:24:18 am »
Well only a couple of days left until I have to go back to work and depression is setting in. What's the cure for such a debilitating malady? A ride, of course. I drove over to the storage place and pulled my VFR750 out of the shipping container, I was happy that the battery still had plenty of oomph left from the last ride, and it fired up right away.

Once again, the country roads were nice and quiet today, so I was pretty free to give the little V4 the berries, and enjoy the howl from that Remus pipe @ 10,000 RPM, as I carved thru the corners. What a great bike! ;D

VFR750 2019 first ride 10 Jan 2019 3 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Offline BRG-BIRD

• Enthusiast
« Reply #27382 on: January 10, 2019, 07:09:31 pm »
Well only a couple of days left until I have to go back to work and depression is setting in. What's the cure for such a debilitating malady? A ride, of course. I drove over to the storage place and pulled my VFR750 out of the shipping container, I was happy that the battery still had plenty of oomph left from the last ride, and it fired up right away.

Once again, the country roads were nice and quiet today, so I was pretty free to give the little V4 the berries, and enjoy the howl from that Remus pipe @ 10,000 RPM, as I carved thru the corners. What a great bike! ;D

I had a 94 VFR as well and the sound of the gear driven cams and the V-4 sounds was intoxicating. Very nice machine you have!
“You are either on something or onto something.” The Comman Man

Offline Mr.Mazza

• The man from down under
« Reply #27383 on: January 10, 2019, 10:01:48 pm »
Finally got plates for her yesterday, and rode her to work without a permit for the first time. Helped it was 30 degrees and sunny so perfect day for it  8) 8)
Driving a car is watching a movie, riding a motorcycle is starring in the movie

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #27384 on: January 10, 2019, 11:19:03 pm »

I had a 94 VFR as well and the sound of the gear driven cams and the V-4 sounds was intoxicating. Very nice machine you have!

Thanks mate, I'm the third owner, the previous owner was a 71 year old who bought it when he was 56 (same age I was when I bought it) and even though he couldn't ride it for the last couple of years, he just couldn't bear to let it go. It was/is in minty condition, with no sunburnt plastic, yellowed fairing screen, or corrosion. The more I think about it, the more I realise that it's too bloody good for me! ;D

Offline Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #27385 on: January 11, 2019, 08:30:53 am »
Picked up my new Delkavic polished stainless header for the 750 from my buddy's hardware store (he is nice enough to be my personal receiving department). I wont get to install it for a couple weeks, but hopefully by the end of January I'll get it fitted up and find out if I can use my Kerker muffler with it or will have to order the matching Delkevic piece.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #27386 on: January 11, 2019, 03:02:29 pm »
 I kept at it for 3 days and totally derusted and rebuilt a gas cap. The inner rubber swelled so big in the vinegar and parts wash that I had to rob one from another gas cap. I had an outer seal so it's done. Now I can complete the derusting of the gas tank by closing it over some saran wrap with vinegar inside.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
If you love it, set it free, if it stays it's probably one of my 750's.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #27387 on: January 12, 2019, 07:42:31 am »
 Haven't done diddly squat this winter yet. My wife wanted to buy this"machine" earlier this winter and I am now Mr. Mom. Its a female liver colored German Shorthaired Pointer to replace one we put down in Oct at age 15. She's a handful. Taken her to the shop a couple of times to acclimate but wants to get into things and just play ball   ;D  19 weeks old right now   ::)  Last pic is this week shortly after we got her operated on/spayed. There goes my bike parts budget   :D :D
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 07:44:47 am by ekpent »

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #27388 on: January 13, 2019, 04:27:07 pm »
Good dog! I need to get another dog. Sally, my old Kelpie bitsa died a few years ago and I need to replace, or at least patch my back fence before I get another pooch, but I like big dogs and big bikes Eric, especially "Bitsa's" which are cheap to buy, in fact both of my previous dogs were free, so didn't hurt the bike budget at all! ;D

Offline bear

• Vale Bill McIntosh ......"illegitimi non carborundum"
  • Old Timer
  • Leeton in Australia
« Reply #27389 on: January 13, 2019, 04:47:36 pm »
Hey Uncle Tez
There's a ZZR1100 motor advertised locally on Gumtree for $250.
Apparently he brought a buggy  but didn't want the motor.
It's complete if it's any good to you I can check it out.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 04:49:36 pm by bear »
The older I get the faster I was.

Offline Tracksnblades1

• My Son was a collegiate competition Trap, Skeet, and sporting Clay
  • Master
« Reply #27390 on: January 13, 2019, 05:04:48 pm »
Good dog! I need to get another dog. Sally, my old Kelpie bitsa died a few years ago and I need to replace, or at least patch my back fence before I get another pooch, but I like big dogs and big bikes Eric, especially "Bitsa's" which are cheap to buy, in fact both of my previous dogs were free, so didn't hurt the bike budget at all! ;D

Terry,
Here's a couple that'll keep you busy.
They're not spoiled at all.
😂😂😂😂
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 05:06:44 pm by Tracksnblades1 »
Age Quod Agis

Offline beemerbum

• Expert
« Reply #27391 on: January 13, 2019, 05:10:19 pm »
Wonderful things, old Honda SOHC' s and GSP's.  Rode the K7 today . Ulrich age 12, fakes ailments so I will take him to his vet, his sweetie

Offline spotty

• Master
  • cb750....for when a Vmax is just too much bike
    • spottys world of vmaxes and great danes
« Reply #27392 on: January 13, 2019, 06:44:04 pm »
Hey Uncle Tez

wasn't terry talking about a big K engine swap into a CB ? yes, it may well have been a Z9 motor but a ZZR will go just as well i'm sure
i blame Terry

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #27393 on: January 13, 2019, 06:57:52 pm »
Hey Uncle Tez

Hey thanks Brian, if its a goer, I want it! Seriously mate if you could check it out it'd save me some trouble with the current engine? Let me know! ;D

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #27394 on: January 13, 2019, 08:19:14 pm »

Terry,
Here's a couple that'll keep you busy.
They're not spoiled at all.
😂😂😂😂

Good dogs! My first mutt after I got married was Ben, a Kelpie/Shepherd cross. He was too smart for his own good and was a sneaky baastard, but was generally a good boy, and lasted until he was 15. Because he was brought up with cats he thought he was a cat too, and once I saw him jump up and snatch a pigeon out of the air, and he proceeded to eat it. I was glad that I wasn't a pigeon! ;D

Offline Register

• Enthusiast
« Reply #27395 on: January 14, 2019, 05:34:09 am »
put these together

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #27396 on: January 14, 2019, 05:51:46 am »
Wonderful things, old Honda SOHC' s and GSP's.  Rode the K7 today . Ulrich age 12, fakes ailments so I will take him to his vet, his sweetie
  I can see why Ulrich likes to go the the vet ! She's cute, much better looking then my guy  ;)

Offline PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bike almost back to the 70's 2015
« Reply #27397 on: January 15, 2019, 02:43:44 am »
  I can see why Ulrich likes to go the the vet ! She's cute, much better looking then my guy  ;)
That kind of vets make me to act as a dog! A really naughty one.... :P   One good reason to buy a dog in that area!  8)
CB750 K6-76 1005cc JMR Billet block.
CB750 K2-75 Parts assembled to a stock K2

Updates of the CB750 K6 -1976
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180468.msg2092136.html#msg2092136
The billet block build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,49438.msg1863571.html#msg1863571
CB750 K2 -1975  build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,168243.msg1948381.html#msg1948381
K2 engine build thread. For a complete CB750 -75
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180088.msg2088008.html#msg2088008
Carb jetting, a long story Mikuni TMR32
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,179479.msg2104967.html#msg2104967

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #27398 on: January 15, 2019, 03:37:04 am »
Shook off the snow from the cover.

Offline beemerbum

• Expert
« Reply #27399 on: January 15, 2019, 07:38:56 am »
That kind of vets make me to act as a dog! A really naughty one.... :P   One good reason to buy a dog in that area!  8)
He tells her dirty old dog jokes. He thinks they're funny