Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today ?  (Read 3145780 times)

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
Re: What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #33200 on: August 17, 2024, 03:27:20 am »
Thanks guys, well Spotty and I got stuck into removing the K0 engine to fix the oil leaks from the K0's cam cover. Of course, being a fcuking CB750 you have to remove the whole fcuking engine to remove the cam cover, unlike my Kawasaki Z1-B, that only requires the fuel tank to be removed to remove the cam cover, fcuk it.

Oh well, I'm sure that Honda had their best engineers design the worlds (arguably) first "Superbike", so not only did I need to remove the tank, but also the airbox, exhaust, exhaust stubs, oil tank, lines, ignition, carbs, alternator harness, kick starter, shift lever, footbrake pedal, 5 engine mounting bolts, earth leads, starter motor lead, brake lever, coils, plug wires, chain, etc etc. Gotta love Honda engineering....... Not.

Anyhoo, after a couple of hours of fcuking around removing all that sh1t, We were able to remove the engine. Just to fix a leaking cam cover.

K0 Saturday 17 Aug 2024 1 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

We then removed the cam cover, and using the "sandpaper on glass" method (after using a black felt marker on the gasket surface)
we rubbed the cam cover as flat as we could, and then, just to be sure, used some Permatex "form a gasket" sealant on the cam cover, wiped the gasket clean (the only oil we could see was where the oil was weeping from the cam cover) and screwed the cam cover back down using the JIS screwdrivers so as not to ruin the Yamiya replica screws.

K0 Saturday 17 Aug 2024 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Tomorrow it's going back into the frame, after we do the "sandpaper on glass" method on the alternator cover (the other obvious leak) and once again smear a little gasket sealer, and with luck, won't have any more leaks. We'll also install the new Yamiya HM300 pipes, and drop the needles one notch.

When I bought the carbs for $1000 USD (plus shipping to Oz) from "Carburetor Keith" it was running really lean so I raised the needles, before I realised that this "expert" hadn't installed the top seals above the slides. So much for fcuking "experts", what a moron. Anyway I found some seals in a rebuild kit and installed them, but never dropped the needles, so it's always run a bit rich. Before we reinstall the carbs tomorrow, I'll drop the needles a notch, because it'll be way too rich with the more restrictive OEM replica pipes. All going well, it'll be up and running with it's shiny new pipes tomorrow. ;D   
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #33201 on: August 17, 2024, 06:53:13 pm »
Terry ….. Great to see the K0. It will be a treat on those HM300’s. Been a while!

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #33202 on: August 17, 2024, 08:59:22 pm »
Terry almost sounds like a pissed off thread entry, it is a phobia and phile type relationship, mix of lover of and fear of type relationship... Or phibe maybe...

Glad you made progress.. you will get to clean any electrical connections while it is out that may need a touch of cleaner...

Best on reassembly and tuning and fitting the exhaust. I'm sure the Yamiya exhaust will fit very well with minimal fuss.
David- back in the desert SW!

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #33203 on: August 20, 2024, 01:19:17 am »
Thanks guys, well I went back over to Spotty's on Sunday and did the "sandpaper on glass" for the alternator cover and gear selector cover (and was surprised at how warped they were) and by that time I'd run out of excuses, so Spotty and I hauled the engine back into the frame, which was an absolute PITA! I keep forgetting that we're both in our 60's, and we're as weak as kittens compared to our once manly abilities. We'd taken the exhaust spigots and oil pan and pump off to make it easy to pull the engine on Saturday, but the engine just didn't want to go in straight.

Anyhoo, we finally got the baastard in, and installed the engine mounting bolts and new exhaust gaskets behind the spigots, reinstalled the oil pump and the pan. By this stage we'd been at it about 5 hours, but I thought I better install the sump plug before we finished up for the day, and had only been congratulating ourselves on not stripping any threads, when I went to tighten the sump plug, it just kept on spinning. Baasatard....... OK, that was enough for one day, we covered the ports etc and called it good, it's my Ma's 96th birthday tomorrow, so am driving to Bairnsdale on Saturday to celebrate her birthday with her, and so we won't be playing with the K0 for another week and a bit. Oh well, she's 96 and who knows if she'll make 97 (personally, I think she'll probably outlive me) so I gotta do the right thing, even though I'm hanging out for a ride, and the weather this weekend is gonna be really nice.

K0 Sunday 18 August 2024 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

I got home and felt bad because Sunday was Vietnam Veterans Day here in Oz (used to be called "Long Tan Day" to commemorate the biggest battle Aussies had in Vietnam) and I forgot about it completely, but there you go, my memory is getting worse, along with everything else. Yesterday I went thru my sump pans, quickly found three, one with stripped threads, one with a crack thru the threads, and one that was filthy but had a sump plug in it. I checked that it was nice and tight, and called it good, then dropped it into my ultrasonic cleaner and it came out looking great. All going well, it'll be up and running by the first weekend in September. More soon. ;D     
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #33204 on: August 20, 2024, 04:00:23 am »
Terry sorry to read of the struggle and the stripped oil pan threads, that outcome sucks!

Read an article recently where doctors were saying research is showing men lose strength and muscle mass often in mid 40s and then again in early sixties and they are trying to figure out the causes.

I am feeling that loss as I'm turning 62 in a couple months and been having back issues and my strength really has taken a hit these past couple years. The back just makes it even more apparent as your back and core have to be strong to be able to lift. I have another spinal injection in my left lumbar and that should give me 3-4 months of relief if it is like the last one 6 months ago. As the last one wore off it was a rapid decline in abilities despite being in physical therapy all year working to strength the core and help address the lumbar and low back issues. My ability to do the exercises really tapered off fast as the last round of injections wore off.

The days of picking up 200-350 pounds are over for me. I once was able to pick up and carry those kinds of weights by myself, now I am hard pressed to lift 140-150 pounds with someone else. Lately a 40-45 pound weight of a case of water is really unpleasant to pickup much less carry it, all because of the back.

Hope your trip to see your mother is pleasant and uneventful in terms of travel challenges.

Glad you were able to find another oil pan to be used once you return. Hopefully replacing e the oil pan will go smoothly. At least you don't need to pull the motor again.

Safe travels and hope your Mom enjoys your visit as well as yourself...

Offline M 750K6

• Hot Shot
« Reply #33205 on: August 20, 2024, 08:33:58 am »
I know we're off topic, but some advice from my experience.  I'll be 60 at the end of this year.,for 3 or 4 years I've been having back pain, so thought I'd do something about it. I thought physio would be a bit Mickey Mouse, but they spotted I had very poor flexibility and core strength. I've always been slimish, 6' and 180lbs, so I was disappointed to feel I was aging too fast!

A series of exercises later and I'm probably 75% better, moving and walking more freely and less back pain. Distilled down, before I get out of bed I stretch my back by bringing my knees up to my chin. Out of bed, I touch my toes 5 times, done slowly with straight legs, raising back up to vertical just using stomach muscles. Then 5 twists in each direction, arms out horizontal to each side (like an airplane), slowly, feet planted, just gentle twist stretching above the hips, moving my head into the direction I'm twisting. Pushing it a little, but not forcing anything. Then 10 sit ups. Do this set once in the morning and once before bed.

Seems to be helping me. Just thought I'd mention it. 👍

Online newday777

• Old Timer
  • Avatar is my 76 K6 in Colorado w/Cody on back 1980
« Reply #33206 on: August 20, 2024, 09:43:46 am »
I know we're off topic, but some advice from my experience.  I'll be 60 at the end of this year.,for 3 or 4 years I've been having back pain, so thought I'd do something about it. I thought physio would be a bit Mickey Mouse, but they spotted I had very poor flexibility and core strength. I've always been slimish, 6' and 180lbs, so I was disappointed to feel I was aging too fast!

A series of exercises later and I'm probably 75% better, moving and walking more freely and less back pain. Distilled down, before I get out of bed I stretch my back by bringing my knees up to my chin. Out of bed, I touch my toes 5 times, done slowly with straight legs, raising back up to vertical just using stomach muscles. Then 5 twists in each direction, arms out horizontal to each side (like an airplane), slowly, feet planted, just gentle twist stretching above the hips, moving my head into the direction I'm twisting. Pushing it a little, but not forcing anything. Then 10 sit ups. Do this set once in the morning and once before bed.

Seems to be helping me. Just thought I'd mention it. 👍
👍
Definitely helps to stretch each day for better flexibility.
I ruptured L3&L4 early in 2010, didn't think I'd work again or ride. Back to work again part time since 2013/2014 area. Got back to riding short rides a week after when my discouragement push me to step up on the peg and slowly swing my leg over the seat and set down to find that the spread out over the seat eazed the pain some, taking pressure off the back, though after half an hour my thigh would throb and send shocks up. At that point I stop get off and find a place to lay on my back to rest it.
It's gotten much better over the years. Not 100% but can lift small amounts and riding the wing cross country.
Stu
Honda Parts manager in the mid 1970s Nashua Honda
My current rides
1975 K5 Planet Blue my summer ride, it was a friend's bike I worked with at the Honda shop in 76, lots of fun to be on it again
1976 K6 Anteres Red rebuilding project, was originally my brother's that I set up from the crate, it'll breath again soon!
Project 750s, 2 K4, 2 K6, 1 K8
2008 GL1800 my daily ride and cross country runner

Prior bikes....
1972 Suzuki GT380 I had charge of it for a year in 1973 while my friend was deployed and learned to love street riding....
New CB450 K7 after my friend returned...
New CB750 K5 Planet Blue, demise by ex cousin in law at 9,000 miles...
New CB750 K6 Anteres Red, to replace the totaled K5, I sold this K6 at 45k in 1983, I had heavily modified it, many great memories on it and have missed it greatly.....
1983 GL1100A, 1999 GL1500 SE, 1999 GL1500A

Offline RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #33207 on: August 20, 2024, 10:26:54 am »
I've got deteriorating spine and stenosis and spondylosis in lumbar and cervical spine and pretty significant spurring in both. Turning my head sounds like rice crispy cereal in milk from all the mess. Neurosurgeon says it isn't bad enough to operate but said a MC accident is likely to put me in a wheelchair if I don't die from the wreck. I've strengthened the core and as long as the injections and ablations are working I have good mobility and strength as long as I don't be stupid and try to overdo it. I can ride and it often makes the back pain go away as long as I'm not on rough roads beating on my back. The riding can make things feel better.

Home exercises of pelvic tilts and other core exercises and stretches help some as long as the injections are working, just when they wear off it quickly reverses.

Hereditary degeneration and too much heavy lifting beyond what I should have been doing take their toll. The physical terrorists (therapists) know how to make you hurt if the want to...
Sometimes they can help, some I have dealt with do not adapt when things stop working and they can do more harm than good.

Sorry to drag things off topic.

Getting old and out of shape  or just getting old ain't for sissys and sometimes it just sucks.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #33208 on: August 20, 2024, 01:45:18 pm »
Thanks guys, for 64 I actually feel pretty fit, I can easily touch my toes and I walk faster than folks half my age. I broke my back parachuting in the Army, but it wasn’t diagnosed for a couple of years afterwards so kept jumping until I left SF. Finally had an MRI and CT scan when they discovered that I’d cracked all my vertebrae from L1 to S5, and crushed a couple of discs, which were leaking into my spinal column. My only real regret was that I was medically downgraded and missed out on deployment to Timor, Afghanistan and Iraq, so felt a bit like a footballer who’d done all the training but didn’t get a game.

One thing I noticed when I dropped the sump pan was oil was dripping off the sump plug, so I’m assuming that it was one of the points where the K0 was leaking oil, along with the cam cover and alternator cover. Hopefully it’ll be leak free when Spotty and I put it back together. Japanese bikes aren’t supposed to leak oil.. ;D

Online newday777

• Old Timer
  • Avatar is my 76 K6 in Colorado w/Cody on back 1980
« Reply #33209 on: August 20, 2024, 02:04:09 pm »
Terry
That sump will definitely leak if someone reefed the drain bolt.
My K5 had that leaking when I acquired it from my friend's estate 7 years ago. Someone had cracked it over tightening it at some point, they welded it but it still leaked. There was a NOS pan in the parts boxes that came with it. Once I put it on, no more leak.
Stu
Honda Parts manager in the mid 1970s Nashua Honda
My current rides
1975 K5 Planet Blue my summer ride, it was a friend's bike I worked with at the Honda shop in 76, lots of fun to be on it again
1976 K6 Anteres Red rebuilding project, was originally my brother's that I set up from the crate, it'll breath again soon!
Project 750s, 2 K4, 2 K6, 1 K8
2008 GL1800 my daily ride and cross country runner

Prior bikes....
1972 Suzuki GT380 I had charge of it for a year in 1973 while my friend was deployed and learned to love street riding....
New CB450 K7 after my friend returned...
New CB750 K5 Planet Blue, demise by ex cousin in law at 9,000 miles...
New CB750 K6 Anteres Red, to replace the totaled K5, I sold this K6 at 45k in 1983, I had heavily modified it, many great memories on it and have missed it greatly.....
1983 GL1100A, 1999 GL1500 SE, 1999 GL1500A

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #33210 on: August 20, 2024, 02:47:53 pm »
Thanks Stu, yep it’s quite possible that it is cracked, pissed me off at the time, but once I found a good one I was happy again. I was worried that it might have been leaking from the repair I did to the case joint near the front sprocket, but apart from a layer of chain grease, it was fine. ;D

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
« Reply #33211 on: August 20, 2024, 03:10:23 pm »
Thanks guys, for 64 I actually feel pretty fit, I can easily touch my toes and I walk faster than folks half my age. I broke my back parachuting in the Army, but it wasn’t diagnosed for a couple of years afterwards so kept jumping until I left SF. Finally had an MRI and CT scan when they discovered that I’d cracked all my vertebrae from L1 to S5, and crushed a couple of discs, which were leaking into my spinal column. My only real regret was that I was medically downgraded and missed out on deployment to Timor, Afghanistan and Iraq, so felt a bit like a footballer who’d done all the training but didn’t get a game.

One thing I noticed when I dropped the sump pan was oil was dripping off the sump plug, so I’m assuming that it was one of the points where the K0 was leaking oil, along with the cam cover and alternator cover. Hopefully it’ll be leak free when Spotty and I put it back together. Japanese bikes aren’t supposed to leak oil.. ;D

Terry, like you my back is made up of scrambled vertebrae but somehow I can still ride. At my size I was never the guy doing the heavy lifting. I was the little guy doing the dangerous work while you big guys hold something up.
When I drop the Concours 1000 I have to get help to pick it up.  8)

Currently I'm installing a rebuilt water pump on the Concours between radiation treatments. As expected it's taking forever due to 2 new incorrect radiator caps, running out of fresh coolant and energy. I'm almost done, I just need to get a waterproof switch for the manual fan switch I'm installing and another gallon of coolant.
When everything is right I can ride it in 100° heat without any cooling system issues.

Never Give Up - Never Surrender

The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0                                            1971 MGB/GT
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport                          1972 MGB/GT
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD                                   1985 GMC S15
1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre
1984 Honda VF 1000F Interceptor
1990 Moto Guzzi 1000 Le Mans
1994 Kawasaki Concours ZG 1000A9
2005 Harley Davidson Fat Boy

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #33212 on: August 20, 2024, 03:30:10 pm »
Ha ha, yeah mate, at 6’2” and 200 pounds I was the guy carrying the GPMG M60 on patrol, which used to piss me off. (Except firing it, which was fun) I’m waiting for a new thermatic fan for my white BMW to arrive from England, no idea why they’re so expensive but not much I can do about it, the one in the bike is buggered, so while I can ride it on long country trips with no issues it gets pretty warm in city traffic. I should have tested it when Spotty and I installed the new engine, but there you go, and it’s not a huge job, just annoying.

I also have an oil leak at the back of the Hindenburg gearbox, it’s just a rubber gaiter that slides over the clutch pushrod and not hard to replace, but leaking a bit too much to ride. Old bikes are great, but always need something. ;D

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #33213 on: August 20, 2024, 04:38:54 pm »
They do “always need something”! Today I replaced the right side bar end switch on the K3 “black bike”. Repaired the starter switch a few times and the light switch was MIA since I bought the bike 12+ years ago (lights always on). The starter switch completely disintegrated and I got tired of it!

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #33214 on: August 21, 2024, 06:03:37 pm »
They do “always need something”! Today I replaced the right side bar end switch on the K3 “black bike”. Repaired the starter switch a few times and the light switch was MIA since I bought the bike 12+ years ago (lights always on). The starter switch completely disintegrated and I got tired of it!

Update: Checked my wiring several times. Lights and everything else worked, but no starter button. Ultimately determined the starter motor safety switch had failed. Removed it, installed the “jumper “ (solid green to green/red stripe) and everything works as it should!

Offline Magpie

• Old Timer
« Reply #33215 on: August 22, 2024, 11:45:04 am »
Got the freshly painted gas tank mounted. You experts out there will notice something not quite right about it.

Offline denward17

• Expert
« Reply #33216 on: August 22, 2024, 11:48:16 am »
Got the freshly painted gas tank mounted. You experts out there will notice something not quite right about it.

Looks beautiful to me, what should it be?

Is it the black stripe in the tank trim?

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #33217 on: August 22, 2024, 12:13:58 pm »

Cliff….. It looks stunning! The gold and white stripes are a bit fat? Painted or decals? You should be very happy with it!

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #33218 on: August 22, 2024, 12:15:43 pm »
Got it! Petcock  should be on the other side!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2024, 12:21:15 pm by BenelliSEI »

Offline Magpie

• Old Timer
« Reply #33219 on: August 22, 2024, 12:16:51 pm »
The stripes are painted on.He had a set of decals to work from. He felt it was easier for him to paint them  on. Cliff.

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #33220 on: August 22, 2024, 12:21:32 pm »
Nice job! It looks beautiful.

Offline Magpie

• Old Timer
« Reply #33221 on: August 22, 2024, 12:24:31 pm »
Correct! It's an earlier tank .We had a miss communication about the paint. I gave the him side panels to paint in the darker red and the tank was to be 1971 candy red. However, he got started painting it in the darker red and by the time we talked the tank was  about 80% done. So, I asked him to finish it. It came out nice and will give the rivet counters something to find wrong. You may cringe at this but the candy red tank was to be for our ashes. Some funeral planning. :D 

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #33222 on: August 22, 2024, 01:05:19 pm »
Looks great Cliff, but it’ll run like sh1t with a tank full of ashes…. ;D

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #33223 on: August 22, 2024, 03:45:07 pm »
Looks great Cliff, but it’ll run like sh1t with a tank full of ashes…. ;D

I think you may have been misunderstood……😂

Offline Magpie

• Old Timer
« Reply #33224 on: August 23, 2024, 09:08:14 am »
 ;D Yes,but it isfunny!