Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today ?  (Read 3041128 times)

Offline Gorms

• Barkeep! Give me a beer and a
  • Hot Shot
Re: What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2009, 08:40:48 pm »
Rough day today.  Bought some Seafoam which seemed to do its job, then oiled my pod filters for the first time even though it ran great before I did it.  Oiled them too much I guess because the it ran like crap...too restricted and way too rich.  Heard that after a good run, the excess oil would be pulled through and burned but the bike died and left me stranded about a mile and a half from my house.  Walked home, grabbed the car and some tools and went to get the battery out of the bike.  Went home, charged it, drank beer while I waited and finally got the bike home by taking off the filters.  Rinsed the oil out of the carbs and bicycled back to the car and drove it home.  Went to check my plugs and ended up messing up the top couple threads of the spark plug hole on cyl #1. (BTW should I not pull the plugs when the engine is hot because the spark plug hole expands???) After freaking out a bit, I went out and bought a 12mm 1.25 tap and carefully got things sorted out.  Called it a day and had a few more beers.

Offline hoodellyhoo

• CB350F
  • Master
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2009, 09:02:10 pm »
Finally fixed my starter button ( a bare wire was grounding and making the starterspin whenever the key was on). Adjusted my valves, lubed the chain, took off the ugly backrest, and went for a very enjoyable ride.
1972 CB350F (Back from the Dead!)- http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=20822.0
1965? S65 - Coming Eventually!
1972 CB750K2 (father-son project)
1976 CB750K6- (sold) http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=96859.0
1976 CB750K6 (sold)- http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=62569.0

Offline GoatBaSS

• Could someone find an
  • Expert
  • To weird to live, to rare to die.
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2009, 12:05:16 am »
Parts inventory, for sale, to keep, to stockpile. Cleaned garage and popped top end on the new motor for the new build. Got all the tools in the right places to ear into the stuff I have to get out. ;)
Leethal # 3046?
1972 CB750K/900CC Red Headed Dunstall, 1975CB750FSS Gone BNF: 1974CB500T, 1976CB750K X 2

Offline gregk

• Hot Shot
« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2009, 09:03:39 am »
Replaced the "o" rings and gaskets in the carb bank.  Set the floats again and used TT's carb light method to set the slides.  Found that the needles were set at position 2 and should be set in position 4. Fixed that and now to go home and put the carbs back on the bike.
It's snowing again so i've got lots of time now and no distractions. 

greg
I don't want it to go like a motorcycle, I want it to go like a rocket!

Offline 72 yellow

• Expert
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2009, 10:26:29 am »
Took the CB750 out for the first time since the strip to the bare frame.  Off idle work needed but pulled like a freight train through the gears.  Put the old 66 Superhawk and the 71 BSA Lightning to bed for the winter.  Will keep the CB750 awake as long as the weather holds for further work.

Offline Queeg

• insane fuel junkie
  • Enthusiast
  • OY! with the poodles allready!
    • Queegs Problems
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2009, 01:21:42 pm »
I jsut took a goooooood look at my bikes, drooled a little! Then went to work. Where now I'm here on the forums thinking about a few hour from now when I will be powdercoating all those nuts bolts washer and whatever else I deceide on the g/f's bike!  That's counts right?
guess who?

Offline wannabridin

• Patience made me a
  • Master
  • -Garrett
    • 1976 CB750K, under construction:
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2009, 01:30:55 pm »
well technically today i worked on the spirit 750, tore down front and rear master cylinders and cleaned the piss out of some old road grime and salt/rust, then tried like hell the bleed them, but i can't seem to get things started.  went to pep boys and bought a vacuum/bleeder kit, so that should make easy work out of the bleeding jobs from now on!  blocked off half the air filter on the spirit because it's got a hypercharger and it's running lean and i don't feel like tearing into the carbs to fine tune when a little duct tape should do the job.  hopefully i'll be riding that tonight.

oh ya, the cb is still sitting on the bike lift where it will be until i can get a lot more money, because now i have NONE...  sad day...
1976 CB750K, currently under construction:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=64468.0

-And if you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do...

MötleyRöx

« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2009, 01:54:36 pm »
"What did you do to your bike today ?"

Kind of a personal question isn't it!?   8) ;D

Offline cookindaddy

• I sure love this bike!
  • Expert
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2009, 02:32:28 pm »
I had to put it away. Winter is coming. Sad.
George with a black 78 CB750K (in Lion's Head, Ontario, Canada)

Offline tomsweb1

• '78 CB750A
  • Hot Shot
  • '78 CB750A
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2009, 03:19:08 pm »
"What did you do to your bike today ?"

Kind of a personal question isn't it!?   8) ;D

HAHAHA! That's not right... but all you would if you could... you dirty old wankers...  :D ;D
Present: 1978 CB750A, 1978 CB400A, 1983 Nighthawk 550, 1984 CM250C

Past: 1977 XL100, 1982 KZ1300

Offline clarkjh

• Expert? If only.
  • Expert
  • Surely and Samson are now Co-habitating
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2009, 03:29:05 pm »
I boosted Surely and put her in the stable for the winter today. :'(
I still have Samson out though, I have left his battery side cover off just in case it gets real cold.  I don't want to break a 30 year old side cover when it's time to remove the battery.

James
SOHC/4 #3328
SOHC/4 Gallery: http://www.sohc4.us/gallery/v/members/personal/clarkjh/
1974 CB550, 40000 Miles
1980 GL1100, 102789 KM - Back on the road after a complete engine rebuild. 
*** Why, oh why, is it always head gaskets with me?***

Offline stickman

• Enthusiast
  • A vintage 750 is a terrible thing to waste....
« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2009, 03:39:55 pm »
Whats's a WANKER anyway?  What I did today was to open the box of my recently bought on ebay 4 into 1 RC Engineering chrome header and started to rub on it and was surprised at how well its cleaning up.  Since I am removing stock 341's, I need to look at my main jets to see what I am running so I can ballpark my rejet.  If I have 105 stock mains, I will start with 115's and see from there.   Anyway did not finish the clean up as the rainy dismal day just has me down so I set it aside for a warmer dryer day.
Ed Jones, Lenoir, NC
1971 CB750, 1994 Kaw police bike KZ1000

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2009, 04:26:34 pm »
Well the weather here is hot, damn hot. I'd bought a 30 inch chrome fishtail muffler from Infantry Motorcycles on EBay (great serving and ex-military guys who donate a percentage of every sale to a charity that looks after wounded soldiers) so I installed it on my Triumph Rocket III, and rode it the 200 miles to my folks place, via an Airforce base where I "work" a couple of days a week.

The noise from that monster 2300cc engine breathing thru that pipe was "fat", and even trucks got out of my way. Bloody hot though, I stopped twice along the way and drank two big bottles of water, and I was still so thirsty last night I drank almost 5 litres of cider, and half a bottle of Makers Mark! I woke up this morning feeling pretty bad, so I guess I must have been really dehydrated?

It was cool at 0630 so I was able to wear my leather jacket (too hot yesterday) and that made me feel a lot more secure, so I "opened the taps" and saw 220 KPH (about 140 Mph) as I overtook a line of cars on my way to work, and shortly I'll be leaving to ride back home, but the cops will be out so it'll be a gentle cruise back. It's a hard job I guess, but someone has to do it.......  ;D
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 01:36:38 am by Terry in Australia »
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline clarkjh

• Expert? If only.
  • Expert
  • Surely and Samson are now Co-habitating
« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2009, 04:51:42 pm »
Well the weather here is hot, damn hot. ......

It was cool at 0630 so I was able to wear my leather jacket (too hot yesterday) and that made me feel a lot more secure, so I "opened the taps" and saw 220 KPH (about 140 Mph) as I overtook a line of cars on my way to work, and shortly I'll be leaving to ride back home, but the cops will be out so it'll be a gentle cruise back. It's a hard job I guess, but someone has to do it.......  ;D

Rub it in some more Terry.  Must be nice to have the warm weather.

James
Terry PS; the veggie is even better then you described.
SOHC/4 #3328
SOHC/4 Gallery: http://www.sohc4.us/gallery/v/members/personal/clarkjh/
1974 CB550, 40000 Miles
1980 GL1100, 102789 KM - Back on the road after a complete engine rebuild. 
*** Why, oh why, is it always head gaskets with me?***

Offline bucky katt

• Old Timer
  • i am a pastafarian!
    • facebook
« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2009, 06:56:20 pm »
i cursed it. no i still cant get it to run right.  >:(
Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.
Mark Twain - Notebook, 1894

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2009, 07:31:52 pm »
 75- 750F  Re-built the front brake and master cylinder, repaired an original headlight that had a brass contact pulled off, Took the right starter control apart to find it crumbling hit the parts bike same thing, downloaded a 77 wiring diagram, re-wired all the things the PO screwed up. Ran the K0 to the parts store, put it on the IV fuel bottle, Jumpered the headlight/starter button with a two position switch so I could hear it run for the first time. Put in fresh plugs (Po tuned it up with 2 autolite and 2 NGK's) Heard it run, came inside. Tomorrow, re-build the rear disc and master and with a little luck and electrical tape ride it to the PO's house to make fun of him. Oh, also tried to install the loose, new looking tach cable only to find it has no nut. :o
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
If you love it, set it free, if it stays it's probably one of my 750's.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.

Offline Colonel

• Enthusiast
  • 750K5
« Reply #66 on: November 11, 2009, 07:37:21 pm »
Looked at it and tried to find this K5 Planet Blue tank on eBay... ** sigh **  :-\

Offline westondc

• Wes Mantooth
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #67 on: November 11, 2009, 08:50:21 pm »
1. put the carbs back on after a cleaning (not fun)... wish i would have realized its easier to install the carbs after removing the cirlce clamps from the air filter boots first. 2. replaced the ugly king/queen seat 3. lined the inside of the gas tank 3. replaced the turn signal relay 4. installed fuel line filters 5. removed the shock lowering apparatus the previous owner installed, the guy must have been 5 foot tall 6. looked at the bike for a while wishing the tank was dry so i could get a ride in today
B.O.X.N.I.F.E. Hospital fund https://www.everribbon.com/ribbon/view/8352
Rider no. 115 on the 2012 SOHC/4 Honda World Tour
Rider no. 274 on the 2011 SOHC/4 Honda World Tour
1972 Honda CB500k1
1971 Honda CB350k3
the project http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=64499.0
Trip/Project Blog http://easterntowestern.blogspot.com/
just be a vagabond, living out of a backpack on a little Honda, cruisin all over the damn place....
"As your attorney, I advise you to buy a motorcycle. How else can we cover a thing like this righteously?"

Offline 750Caferider

• Crazed Idiot
  • 78 CB750 SS
« Reply #68 on: November 11, 2009, 09:05:53 pm »
Adjusted the valves last night cursed myself for not having a shop manual to explain proper cam chain adjustment, oh and adjusted the timing back down.  Took her out for a spin and damn she ran hard!  Got home only to find oil on my left shin leaking somewhere between one and two at the head gasket...  Effing YAY!!!!! :'(  Now I'm feeling a bit under the weather and am considering going to bed whenever I can pry myself from this damn forum...  It's crack!  Crack I tell you!!!!

Cheers,

Anders
78 CB 750F (Yoshimi)
Just picked up 3 early to mid 70's 750's Hell Yeah!
And a basketcase 70!!!!

Offline myhondas

• Not really such a
  • Expert
« Reply #69 on: November 11, 2009, 09:51:21 pm »
here is the manual you say you lack.... sticky on the sohc4 thread....

http://www.mediafire.com/file/nzkmzodmgin/Honda
1974 CB 750 K4 SHOWROOM
1974 CB 750 K4 IN PART-OUT PROCESS (my original bike)
1965 C100 CUB 50 (PIT BIKE)
1996 VF 750 CD daily rider
1983 VF 1100 V65 Magna in restoration process
SOHC# 5105 11228

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Shut up when you're talkin' to me!!
« Reply #70 on: November 11, 2009, 10:01:20 pm »
When I got home from work today............I walked by the bike .....winked....and said "Hey baaabeh!!!" ;D
MEMBER # 257
Fool me once..shame on you. Fool me twice..I'm kickin' your a$$......

Offline Skonnie Boy

• Cold cock
  • Hot Shot
  • Life is not like a box of chocolates.
« Reply #71 on: November 11, 2009, 10:17:56 pm »
Did all the dirty work yesterday rebuilding my ignition.  Fixed it with bits of discarded zipties.  No lie, long story.

Rode about 20 miles throughout the Chicagoland area, ending up at a garage night for Chicago Vintage Motorcycle enthusiasts.  Best garage night in quite some time, tons of beer and good chili.  Good folks and the best sh¡t talking anywhere in the tri-state region.  Always feel motivated and rejuvenated after talking to people who've forgotten more than I'll ever know.  And beer.  Huzzah.   
"Yeah, I'm hip about time. But I just gotta go."

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #72 on: November 12, 2009, 01:35:20 am »

Rub it in some more Terry.  Must be nice to have the warm weather.

James
Terry PS; the veggie is even better then you described.

Ha ha, no worries James, I'm glad you like it! The 200 mile ride back this afternoon was great, but I stayed too long at a mate's place on the way back (talking crap, checking out his CB750K1 and Triumph T140 andd scrounging some parts) and hit peak hour traffic on the outskirts of Melbourne, so the last hour was "bumper to bumper" stop-go sh1t, I was hot and sweaty in my leather jacket, my butt was sore (from the bike seat, you perverts............) and all I wanted was to get home and get some "fluids" in to me.

I almost kissed my driveway like the Pope, except I woulda burned my lips, it was in the 90's again, I've really gotta find some protective clothing that I can wear on a hot day without feeling like I'm gonna faint................ Cheers, Terry.  ;D   
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Queeg

• insane fuel junkie
  • Enthusiast
  • OY! with the poodles allready!
    • Queegs Problems
« Reply #73 on: November 12, 2009, 04:48:18 am »
lets see. i painted some more nuts and bolts. was to lazy to break out the powder coating stuff.  named my g/f's bike. PITA Roja.  installed the forks, gators, speedo and tach.  swingarm. centerstand, took some pictures. cursed at the shop mate who knocked over the box that held all my nice freshly painted nuts and bolts.  put the tank and side covers on for pictures, thn took them off.  assembled the front tire/hub, preped the rear sprocket for powder coat.  cleaned up my 37 square foot space i park my to bikes, parked the two bike in said 37 square ffoot space.  closed up the shop and no im gonna sleep on the futon here like the last 3 nights. cause its 4:45 am now and i have to be at work at 9. goodnight
guess who?

Offline CycleRanger

• No comment about being an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas Shop Manual Advocate
« Reply #74 on: November 14, 2009, 03:08:01 pm »
I reinstalled the center stand today.  Not as simple as it sounds.
When I got the bike the center stand was missing, lucky I found it on ebay. ::)

When I pulled the rear wheel I discovered the center stand mounts were pretty badly bent.
Probably from some PO using a jack to hold up the bike because they removed the center stand!

Anyway, after the liberal application of large vise grips and a bit of pry bar I was able to get the center stand bolted up.

btw, thanks to whoever it was that posted the photo of their bike frame suspended by tie-down straps from the rafters.
That trick was just the thing for getting unfettered access to the center stand mounts since my bike is complete minus the rear wheel and swingarm.

Now it's time for Chinese food and beer! ;D
Do you have a copy of the Honda Shop Manual for your bike? Get one here:
https://www.honda4fun.com/materiale/documentazione-tecnica
CB750K5        '79 XL250s     CL350K3
CB750K3        '76 XS650      '76 CJ360T