Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today ?  (Read 3150341 times)

Offline motocyconomad

• Expert
Re: What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #9650 on: March 24, 2012, 07:49:08 am »
test rode. i screw it all the way on, she is still dogging it.

Offline strynboen

• Old Timer
    • http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=p7ukfmlvbpnvl046ptmpqdfg86&/topic,60973.0.html
« Reply #9651 on: March 24, 2012, 08:35:04 am »
got new sealings in the fork..have to make some nylon spacers..to fill up ..??there vas 3 mm from sealing to the clip hold

it took no time...its easy to take the fork leg dovn..instead to remove all from bike
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 08:39:10 am by strynboen »
i kan not speak english/but trying!!
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60973.0
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=144758.0
i hate all this v-w.... vords

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #9652 on: March 24, 2012, 08:39:42 am »
got new sealings in the fork..have to make some nylon spacers..to fill up ..??there vas 3 mm from sealing to the clip holder
  There is a gap usually on the 750's also. Some bikes came with a large metal washer but think they can still float in there OK with the gap.

Offline bjatwood

• I never claimed to be an
  • Expert
  • 1973 CB750-K3
    • Minbikers Proboards
« Reply #9653 on: March 24, 2012, 07:25:54 pm »
Took the K3 out for a bit of a shakedown run. Got the new X-ring chain all adjusted up perfectly with its new sprockets, the EBC brake pads fully seated and heated ;) 80 MPH was smooth as butter!
Brian

I believe that the Finest things are the most thoughtfully made, not the most expensive!
http://minibikers.proboards.com/

Offline Really?

• I've come to the conclusion that I AM a
  • Really Old Timer ...
What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #9654 on: March 24, 2012, 08:16:53 pm »
Stripped the paint, media blasted and painted the swingarm. It is drying now. Don't think I like how it came out. I may just have it PCed next time.

Sent from my chalkboard using a tickler.
I don't have a motorcycle, sold it ('85 Yamaha Venture Royale).  Haven't had a CB750 for over 40 years.

The Wife's Bike - 750K5
The Kid's Bike - 750K3

Offline Grnrngr

• Master
« Reply #9655 on: March 24, 2012, 10:46:05 pm »
Yesterday, peeled and tossed the bald tires that brought me thousands of miles of pleasure. Peeled the nice tire off the bad wheel without pinching the tube, pulled the spokes and hub and recycled the rim.  8)  and wouldn't ya know, pinched the tube trying to mount that tire.   ::)  I'm thinking I might really like alloy wheels for the 750.
Today, bought a patch kit and patched all the holes I put in the tubes yesterday.   ::)  I bought some new tire irons from Harbor Freight the other day, 2' long for $4.99. They look just like the ones I lost a long time ago, only those were 18", I'm wondering if 2' is too long. Didn't pinch the tubes with my short irons last time I changed tires, but they're tough to work with. Now, just gotta get the tire on the good wheel, patience and lube, patience and lube.....baby won't know how to act with new shoes.  :D :D
'72 CB750-K2 "PopCycle"
'73 CB750-K2 "Barney"
'77 CB750A   
'83 Virago 500 (red)
'83 Virago 500 (black)

"and so on and so on and scoobydoobydooby..oooooooshasha"  Sly Stone

Online Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #9656 on: March 25, 2012, 12:53:06 am »
Yesterday, peeled and tossed the bald tires that brought me thousands of miles of pleasure. Peeled the nice tire off the bad wheel without pinching the tube, pulled the spokes and hub and recycled the rim.  8)  and wouldn't ya know, pinched the tube trying to mount that tire.   ::)  I'm thinking I might really like alloy wheels for the 750.
Today, bought a patch kit and patched all the holes I put in the tubes yesterday.   ::)  I bought some new tire irons from Harbor Freight the other day, 2' long for $4.99. They look just like the ones I lost a long time ago, only those were 18", I'm wondering if 2' is too long. Didn't pinch the tubes with my short irons last time I changed tires, but they're tough to work with. Now, just gotta get the tire on the good wheel, patience and lube, patience and lube.....baby won't know how to act with new shoes.  :D :D

Not wanting to pee on your parade mate, but I wouldn't use a patched tube in any bike that I was gonna ride at speed. Tubed tires blow out without warning and I've owned a K1 that was the victim of a blowout and it wasn't pretty. I'd spend the money and put new tubes in them mate, just to be safe. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

maduncle

« Reply #9657 on: March 25, 2012, 01:34:56 am »

Tested all three pairs of forks I have to see which ones I can use on the CB450 Black Bomber build...

... none of 'em!

The Betor forks are a miss-matched pair, or not a pair at all but both off one side.

The VT250 forks were a good idea but wont work with the drum hub.

The forks that came on the bike work with the drum hub, but they are 34mm so wont hold in the triples.

So - I am after a set of 35mm Honda forks to run the Black Bomber drum hub.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9658 on: March 25, 2012, 02:08:32 am »

Tested all three pairs of forks I have to see which ones I can use on the CB450 Black Bomber build...

... none of 'em!

The Betor forks are a miss-matched pair, or not a pair at all but both off one side.

The VT250 forks were a good idea but wont work with the drum hub.

The forks that came on the bike work with the drum hub, but they are 34mm so wont hold in the triples.

So - I am after a set of 35mm Honda forks to run the Black Bomber drum hub.

That's no good Cliff, these ones look nice though? Cheers, Terry. ;D http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1971-HONDA-CL450-SCRAMBLER-FORKS-H516-/290687037806?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43ae4c316e
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #9659 on: March 25, 2012, 05:07:23 am »
got new sealings in the fork..have to make some nylon spacers..to fill up ..??there vas 3 mm from sealing to the clip holder
  There is a gap usually on the 750's also. Some bikes came with a large metal washer but think they can still float in there OK with the gap.

That was my thought too. The seal holds in there the clip is just a backup. 

Offline thrutheframe

• Expert
  • did you bleed when you built that?
« Reply #9660 on: March 25, 2012, 05:55:42 am »
  Yesterday I put new seals on my CB650 oil pump and installed it.  I had to work from 12:00 to 6:00 then went back and leak tested that project.  Seems ready to roll but I left the cover off last night so I can double check for leaks today. 
  I continued the CB360T frame triangle refurb,  I put the rubber boots on the crossover tube and sealed them with permatex rubber sealeant.  I was going to press on and re-sand the cover that orange peeled on me but the power went out!
'74 cb 750 K4
'79 CB 650 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=83981.0
'75 CB 360T
'90 RC31 Hawk GT

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #9661 on: March 25, 2012, 06:00:55 am »
Had the new Bridgestone BT45's put on yesterday and went for a test ride.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline motocyconomad

• Expert
« Reply #9662 on: March 25, 2012, 07:10:28 am »
I do like those battleaxe tires

Offline MasterChief750

• Detonation
  • Expert
« Reply #9663 on: March 25, 2012, 07:16:31 am »
installed a new tach drive seal and proceeded to lay down the bike on the junk from a maple tree down the street. i never seen er coming
1978 CB750 K - Project Red Headed Step Child
1976 CB750 K - Drag Bike
Some things i know, others i dont.
I AM THE STIG
Sam is THE STIG
he said i can be STIG3 tho

Offline dawdish

• Enthusiast
  • Life's better with bugs in your teeth!
« Reply #9664 on: March 25, 2012, 09:38:26 am »
Changed out my gauges, the originals faces were all cracked up so I put some good ones off a 75 550 on. And I rode the 500 for the first time today WOOHOO! 8)

are those gauges going to be accurate? they look good on there but they seem like they would be off.

Just putsn' around town, the speedo seems to be accurate... (10 min. later)...but now that I think about it, would the tach read different? It did seem slightly slow...
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 09:48:59 am by dawdish »
'75 CB400F
'72 CB500 Four
1 CB550 Chappa (barn find)
1 '75 CB550 (barn find)
'81 Guzzi V1000( I couldn't help myself)

Offline EkiF

« Reply #9665 on: March 25, 2012, 11:19:12 am »
I rebuilded the front forks. But yesterday it snowed a lot, so I'm apparently not going to ride this week. >:(
Now I have some time to change the tires...
-77 CB 400F-

Offline Really?

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9666 on: March 25, 2012, 12:01:42 pm »
Cleaned up the license plate bracket I had to make long ago.  Had to do some trimming and filing.  The fender was off and it had been bugging me all this time.  has a cleaner look to me even though one else prolly even noticed.  While I was at it, thought I would wife the license plate down with some carb cleaner I had out and rag.  Wiped the darn date right off the state tags.  Good thing I have to get new ones anyway, they expired in February.

Still letting the swingarm dry.  Maybe mount it later today?  I still need to mount my side gate of the house.  I found it laying on the ground yesterday.
I don't have a motorcycle, sold it ('85 Yamaha Venture Royale).  Haven't had a CB750 for over 40 years.

The Wife's Bike - 750K5
The Kid's Bike - 750K3

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #9667 on: March 25, 2012, 12:36:02 pm »
installed a new tach drive seal and proceeded to lay down the bike on the junk from a maple tree down the street. i never seen er coming

$hit happens:). I once put my bike down on cross roads - loose gravel - and next to it was a bus stop full of people. I felt like taking helmet off and collect some change for the show :)

Offline dhall57

• Old Timer
  • The 70's! SOHC4 Honda's & Marcia Brady of course.
« Reply #9668 on: March 25, 2012, 12:44:35 pm »
Been raining off and oh all weekend. Sun came out for a little while today so I jump on the KO and went down the Hwy. On my way back ran into a light rain, nothing to bad, but enough to make the roads wet. The KO got a little wet and so did I. First time in the wet since I've had it. Well it was time for a good cleaning anyway.
1970 CB750KO
1971 CB500KO-project bike
1973 CB350G- project bike
1974 CB750K4-project bike
1974 CB750K4
1976 CB750K6
1977 GL1000
1997 Harley Wideglide

Offline CycleRanger

• No comment about being an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas Shop Manual Advocate
« Reply #9669 on: March 25, 2012, 06:04:27 pm »
Tore down the K5 in preparation for pulling the engine due to valve cover leak.
I got everything removed and the motor unbolted.
I'll pull it out later this week, I gotta wait for a gasket (and brake shoes) anyway.

I replaced every gasket and o-ring on this engine and the only one that leaked was the one that requires the most work to fix....
 >:( >:( >:( >:( ::)
Do you have a copy of the Honda Shop Manual or Parts List for your bike? Get one here:
https://www.honda4fun.com/materiale/documentazione-tecnica
CB750K5        '79 XL250s     CL350K3
CB750K3        '76 XS650      '76 CJ360T

Offline MasterChief750

• Detonation
  • Expert
« Reply #9670 on: March 25, 2012, 06:06:07 pm »

$hit happens:). I once put my bike down on cross roads - loose gravel - and next to it was a bus stop full of people. I felt like taking helmet off and collect some change for the show :)

ha yeah there was a family in their yard that looked at me and went back to talking guy down the street from me with a goldwing ran over and went "buddy now you have your true rider wings" helped ease the pain a little
1978 CB750 K - Project Red Headed Step Child
1976 CB750 K - Drag Bike
Some things i know, others i dont.
I AM THE STIG
Sam is THE STIG
he said i can be STIG3 tho

Offline Really?

• Really Old Timer ...
What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #9671 on: March 25, 2012, 06:06:35 pm »
Swingarm and wheel is on. The side gate is back in too.

Sent from my chalkboard using a tickler.

The Wife's Bike - 750K5
The Kid's Bike - 750K3

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9672 on: March 26, 2012, 02:01:12 am »

ha yeah there was a family in their yard that looked at me and went back to talking guy down the street from me with a goldwing ran over and went "buddy now you have your true rider wings" helped ease the pain a little

Been there, done that. I had an operation on my left leg and a couple of weeks later had to go back to get the stitches out. Anyway, was a beautiful Autumn day, so I rode the bike. Went through a bend a little quick and hit a patch of wet leaves and almost put it down. I slammed my foot down speedway style to steady it, and managed to burst my stitches. The wound started bleeding and the surgeon was less than happy with me, but it could have been worse, I could have damaged my bike! ;D

Offline spammasher

« Reply #9673 on: March 26, 2012, 04:58:44 am »
I took my bike and my sons bike to a local car and bike show and i won a trophy for best Old School Custom which was great but i really wanted my sons bike to win something but  really both bikes were in the same catagory so they were competing against each other. It was just great seeing people appreciate these bikes and it was amazing to see kids stopping and looking at the bikes, because old things CAN be cool.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 05:15:44 am by spammasher »

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
« Reply #9674 on: March 26, 2012, 12:36:23 pm »
Took her out for a bit of a suntan. First time it's been outside in 4 years.

'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Draw and drawer. Could care less/couldn't care less. Bought/brought FFS.

Les Ross.            Certified by a Professional