Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today ?  (Read 3151490 times)

Offline Roach Carver

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #8775 on: January 01, 2012, 06:43:37 pm »
pulled the motor and finally got it unstuck.

Offline Tree

• Enthusiast
  • CB750K5
« Reply #8776 on: January 01, 2012, 06:53:54 pm »
pulled the motor and finally got it unstuck.

How did  you you do it?

Offline Roach Carver

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8777 on: January 01, 2012, 07:00:03 pm »
Wellll. I first took it to the car wash and filled the cylinders with the works. 30 min later and nothing. Broght it home and pulled it. Took off the head and found one piston stuck. With help from my dad we drove the piston down into the cylinder. Lifted it off and viola. Now i need rings.

maduncle

« Reply #8778 on: January 01, 2012, 07:34:27 pm »

Didn't go near the bike today - I would have fried getting from the house to the shed!

It is currently 40 degrees Celsius (that's 104 degrees Fahrenheit) here in Melbourne so I think EVERYONE is sheltering indoors.

And damn it - my last day of holidays, would have enjoyed a ride.

Oh - I did mock up a set of indicators for a guy who is building a steampunk themed CB360 down in Hobart (worth a look)

http://www.hondatwins.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9896

... made from brass chandelier parts, so threaded tubes can carry the wiring.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #8779 on: January 01, 2012, 07:46:25 pm »
Thanks for that link Cliff, can't wait to see the bike once finished.... ;)
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline RustyStuff

• If it aint broke, Fix it till it Is.
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #8780 on: January 01, 2012, 08:21:38 pm »
I pulled the float bowls, and poked at the Pilot jets with a guitar sting, then used a big syringe with a hose on it to pump Berrymans B12 though the jets. Gotta Pull No 1 and 4 again, because the bike still wont idle with out the choke( better though). Those 2 cyl's were really really rich too.

Bike sure sounds sweet at 3-5grand. Cant wait to hear it wind up to redline.
'80 CB650

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #8781 on: January 02, 2012, 06:05:32 am »
Wellll. I first took it to the car wash and filled the cylinders with the works. 30 min later and nothing. Broght it home and pulled it. Took off the head and found one piston stuck. With help from my dad we drove the piston down into the cylinder. Lifted it off and viola. Now i need rings.
Be very carefull using the WORKS around anything Aluminum as you will end up making a bomb and ruin,melt some good metal in the process. Those two materials do not get along at all. 3 liter works bomb
    Also IS that a turn signal or something to put a little green something into to help the project go a little smoother or make the bike feel like its going faster.  ;) ;)  :D
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 06:12:23 am by ekpent »

Offline OldSchool_IsCool

• Really feeling like an
  • Old Timer
  • WARNING: Objects in mirror appear to be LOSING!
« Reply #8782 on: January 02, 2012, 09:14:22 am »
Can I have a motorcycle when I get old enough?
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Lot’s of things. You’ve been watching me.
Will you show me all of them?
Sure.
Is it hard?
Not if you have the right attitudes. It’s having the right attitudes that’s hard.

Offline steam-powered man

• Not the eggman, Not the walrus, I am the
  • Hot Shot
  • Where are you going? I was going to make Espresso
« Reply #8783 on: January 02, 2012, 09:35:09 am »
can't put it off any longer, the full mechanical refresh is complete with the exception of the top end oil leak.  so today i'm prepping to yank the engine (replacing the pucks, o-rings, valve cover gasket).

drained and pulled the oil filter/lockart cooler, drained the engine, drained and pulled the oil tank.

sorted out the work bench, am ready.   

searching for a dr350se

Offline veloracermike

• Hot Shot
« Reply #8784 on: January 02, 2012, 09:50:57 am »
I've done nothing to my bike today...nor yesterday or the day before that or even the 25 days before that.  Why you ask? Well I'll tell you.

Nearly a month ago I dropped my bike off to get the rear hoop/electronics base welded up.  I was promised that is was completed 3 times only show up and find out that is wasn't finished (the first two times hadn't even been started).  I had to travel to Bristol CT for work and was gone for two weeks. I called last Friday to make sure the bike was done and was told yes it's ready to pick up. So I rented a truck and drove over to get it only to find the bike about 65% finished.  The shop is going to cover my truck rental and I'm supposed to get the bike back on Tues. If  it's not done I'm going to have him cut off what he's done and I'm taking it to another shop (I really wish I knew how to weld). 

I'm a really calm guy and slow to anger but I'm about to lose it over this. 
WTB 400F Motor! PM me if you've got one!!!!!!!

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8785 on: January 02, 2012, 10:12:00 am »
Hey Mike, I had the same thing when I was still really new to these bikes. I dropped off my nike t get the carbs done. Told me less then 1 week as work had slowed down dramatically. I called the first week, wasn't even looked at. Second week same thing. Third week they tried to say I had an electrical problem. I ordered HondaMans fuse box and they said I had the same problem when I stopped in there. They let me go in the back to see that they disassembled the rear tail light and that was it. I told them right there that they need to put it back to how it was and I am taking it....
They had the nerve to say, "it's on the house, don't owrry about paying anything."

I responded with charge me for what? Holding onto my bike for weeks, not getting to it and then taking apart the front headlight and rear????? I have not gone back there since. Learned how to do the carbs myself and she ran great the last two months I rode her.

if it was my bike, I would just take her out; rather sitting at their shop collecting dust and unfulfilled promises, let her sit in your garage until you can find a person who can get her done correctly.  Plus I would not pay for the services and put up a stink. I am a clam person as well, but when it comes to my bike.... I have little patience for nonsense.
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.

Offline fire113

• Expert
« Reply #8786 on: January 02, 2012, 11:19:16 am »
...was going to buy my third CB750 K0 but the guy who is selling it was drunk or stoned or both!

His description was ...CB750 K0...1969...frame and engine numbers are matching, good condition blablabla.

K0 frame and K2 engine with K2 carbs (open) and a lot of strange things like strange wire box, instead of the battery I found two wired metal cubes, strange red button on the left side cover (turboboost ?) oil cooler and a kind of separate box for sprocket and drive chain.  97000Km on the gauge and the guy was talking about 4500€  ??? :o

I told him NO WAY!

Honda CB750 K0 & K0 & K1 & K1 & K2 & K2 & K6

Offline motocyconomad

• Expert
« Reply #8787 on: January 02, 2012, 12:14:43 pm »
got some green dyna coils and wires they should be here today the damn wire has been arcing out to the motor

maduncle

« Reply #8788 on: January 02, 2012, 02:22:05 pm »
    Also IS that a turn signal or something to put a little green something into to help the project go a little smoother or make the bike feel like its going faster.  ;) ;)  :D

Ha - I must be too innocent, I did not think of that when I made it!

I was just talking to a guy at work about the tennis ball sized hailstones that smashed parts of Melbourne on Christmas day, and how lucky I was that we were out of town with the car so it did not get dinged...

... then he said 'how is the bike?'.

... then I realised that the bike would have sat through that hail storm under its flimsy pull over cover - AND I HAVE NOT HAD THE COVER OFF SINCE THE STORM!

(It's going to be a loooooong first day at work before I get home to check under the cover!).

Offline cameron

• Hot Shot
« Reply #8789 on: January 02, 2012, 02:49:06 pm »
mmhmm.

My on-the-bike JB weld job only lasted 2 years, it seems.

Lets try doing it right this time. (well.. as 'right' as it can be with JB weld :) )
1976 CB550F

Offline veloracermike

• Hot Shot
« Reply #8790 on: January 02, 2012, 03:03:51 pm »
Hey Mike, I had the same thing when I was still really new to these bikes. I dropped off my nike t get the carbs done. Told me less then 1 week as work had slowed down dramatically. I called the first week, wasn't even looked at. Second week same thing. Third week they tried to say I had an electrical problem. I ordered HondaMans fuse box and they said I had the same problem when I stopped in there. They let me go in the back to see that they disassembled the rear tail light and that was it. I told them right there that they need to put it back to how it was and I am taking it....
They had the nerve to say, "it's on the house, don't owrry about paying anything."

I responded with charge me for what? Holding onto my bike for weeks, not getting to it and then taking apart the front headlight and rear????? I have not gone back there since. Learned how to do the carbs myself and she ran great the last two months I rode her.

if it was my bike, I would just take her out; rather sitting at their shop collecting dust and unfulfilled promises, let her sit in your garage until you can find a person who can get her done correctly.  Plus I would not pay for the services and put up a stink. I am a clam person as well, but when it comes to my bike.... I have little patience for nonsense.

I'm showing up with a truck tomorrow morning and taking it done or not.  I can't wait anymore this has put me way down the list now with my painter and I will be lucky to get my bike on the road by mid Feb. 

I'm so not used to this kind of service. In SoCal I had such a great network of fabricators for my race cars that I could go in and design what I wanted with one of them and in a few days I'd have what I needed.  Austin isn't deep with these types.
WTB 400F Motor! PM me if you've got one!!!!!!!

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #8791 on: January 02, 2012, 03:36:16 pm »
Cameron, there is a guy here who does laser welding and fixed a carb tower just like that.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #8792 on: January 02, 2012, 03:38:47 pm »
Cameron, there is a guy here who does laser welding and fixed a carb tower just like that.

Microwelding

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=97668.0

;)
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline cameron

• Hot Shot
« Reply #8793 on: January 02, 2012, 04:56:34 pm »
I know.. but I ride exclusively. No car. I can't really spare the time to send it off right now.
Maybe NEXT time it fails :)

and to be fair, it was still leak-free.. I had them out for routine cleaning and to replace the hardware with hex-head stuff.. because I am a geek... and I noticed the joint was loose. I expect it to last 5 years this time.

THEN I'll get her welded!

Hex-bolts.... so pretty...

1976 CB550F

Offline Dimitri13

• Not a
  • Master
  • 1974 CB550K
« Reply #8794 on: January 02, 2012, 05:22:42 pm »
Got a new chain for it from craigslist. Saved over $70.
Ordered a usable fork from ebay.
Expecting my caliper and MC rebuild tomorrow.

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
  • Helmets Save Lives. Period.
« Reply #8795 on: January 02, 2012, 05:55:36 pm »
Flogged it for the first time after the new tank and Dyna coils.  No hesitation at high speeds!    8) 8)

Offline Tree

• Enthusiast
  • CB750K5
« Reply #8796 on: January 02, 2012, 09:13:26 pm »
Washed off the road salt from the ride on day before, dropped off the seat to have a new cover put on, and put it away until spring  :'(

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #8797 on: January 02, 2012, 09:35:14 pm »
road salt,,eek!im glad we dont have that here.

Offline K5owner

• Enthusiast
« Reply #8798 on: January 03, 2012, 04:26:58 am »
We've got salt here too. Nasty stuff...   add a little moisture and air and it will rust or corrode just about anything. I hate it; wish they'd use just sand or let your driving skills determine your fate  ;)
-Ray
-----------------------------------------------------
Remembering the past...   Livn' the dream

1975 Honda CB750 K5, Restored Aug/2011
1971 Honda CB175 K5, next project
1977 Honda CT70, swap meet scooter
2004 Honda NRX1800 (Rune), Cruiser
1977 Honda GL1000, daily driver

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #8799 on: January 03, 2012, 04:28:20 am »
or let your driving skills determine your fate  ;)

That would get rid of a lot of the idiots..... ;D
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc