Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today ?  (Read 3151496 times)

Offline Blasbo

• Hot Shot
Re: What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #8800 on: January 03, 2012, 04:46:20 am »
Got the motor out and started disassembling the top end.

Offline WhyNot2

• I'm finally an
  • Master
« Reply #8801 on: January 03, 2012, 05:53:13 am »
Tried my hand at polishing.

Reset the timing on my 750, idles on its own now. (after shes warmed)

Before and after shots.

Not the best, but, not bad for a part that is over 30 years old, and beat up.
If it ain't raining, I'm riding.....~~{iii}?~~prost

If it sounds like I know what I'm talking about, it's because I cut and pasted from someone else.

Offline Tree

• Enthusiast
  • CB750K5
« Reply #8802 on: January 03, 2012, 01:18:21 pm »

Not bad.  What did you use?

Chris_SZ

« Reply #8803 on: January 03, 2012, 01:39:32 pm »
Now that it starts again I took her for a ride to town in strong and gusty wind. The ol' sohc4 really had a workout  ;)

Offline WhyNot2

• I'm finally an
  • Master
« Reply #8804 on: January 03, 2012, 02:55:19 pm »

Not bad.  What did you use?

The below low budget items.

If it ain't raining, I'm riding.....~~{iii}?~~prost

If it sounds like I know what I'm talking about, it's because I cut and pasted from someone else.

Offline cben750f0

• nothin draws attention like a classic bike!!
  • Master
  • '75 CB750F0 Gladstone NQLD OZ
« Reply #8805 on: January 03, 2012, 07:24:42 pm »
rode to work, 14km.. it rained, was awesome...=), the bike has been playin up a bit when it gets hot (dynas ...). but got there ok, went to lunch, was ok, gave it a rap up the motorway to work again.....charf cutter.... 2 and 3 not firing.... pulled the tank off, swapped leads and wires around, 2 and 3 still not firing.... dyna s toaste.... my question is, is it bad to ride home on a 418cc twin...lol (836 kitted cb750).

fug it all... the points plate i bought, cos i knew this was gonna happen is still in the xmas mail somewhere..... again FUG IT ALL..

hope you day was better

peace

ok further testing proved that the coil was shot, if i put pressure on the black wire poll of the 2-3 coil the bike would idle perfect, but if i took pressure off...back to a 418cc twin... so didnt even bother riding. made a few phone calls.

will be trying to beg,borrow,steal a coil tomorrow...

peace
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 03:28:06 am by cben750f0 »
you are never to old, to act like a kid... be safe
funny thing,chasing someone down hill on a bike 30 years older than theirs..
he said \\\\\\\'it was like watching a 250kg unguided weapon getting stuck up you bum\\\\\\\ http://www.bikepics.com/members/trixtrem/

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #8806 on: January 03, 2012, 08:38:05 pm »
those dynas seem to have issues?i like the boyer units,i have a micropower model on mine and its good,i also have a micro digital unit,and have used the older analouge ones aswell,from this place the micropower was about 270 delivered,,that includes a pair of coils and leads.
http://www.gremlinracetech.com/store/1804034/product/BBMP
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 08:45:13 pm by dave500 »

Offline Grnrngr

• Master
« Reply #8807 on: January 03, 2012, 08:55:55 pm »
Got my new chrome gauge covers in the mail, so I put them on, put on the chrome master cylinder, chrome oil filter cover with a "bullet" shaped bolt, and chrome "cheese box" airfilter from my basket case, it's startin to get shiney.
'72 CB750-K2 "PopCycle"
'73 CB750-K2 "Barney"
'77 CB750A   
'83 Virago 500 (red)
'83 Virago 500 (black)

"and so on and so on and scoobydoobydooby..oooooooshasha"  Sly Stone

Offline cben750f0

• Master
« Reply #8808 on: January 03, 2012, 10:44:04 pm »
so would riding it 14km's on 2 cylinders be bad...lol... otherwise i have no way of getting home...

inquiring minds neeeeeed to know...lol

peace
he said \\\\\\\'it was like watching a 250kg unguided weapon getting stuck up you bum\\\\\\\ http://www.bikepics.com/members/trixtrem/

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #8809 on: January 04, 2012, 12:49:48 am »
fourteen kays should be ok,,itll have washed the oil from those bores and diluted the oil somewhat,,id dump the oil and filter,those two plugs will be wet fouled and might be ok,new plugs will ensure a good fire up when you get what ever ignition going on it,have you to tried to check if the dyna coil hasnt died not the unit?do these fire all plugs at once?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 12:52:07 am by dave500 »

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #8810 on: January 04, 2012, 01:41:04 am »
Got my new chrome gauge covers in the mail, so I put them on, put on the chrome master cylinder, chrome oil filter cover with a "bullet" shaped bolt, and chrome "cheese box" airfilter from my basket case, it's startin to get shiney.
Pics or it didn't happen!
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #8811 on: January 04, 2012, 02:09:18 am »
Ok, another "pics or it didn't happen" Just received a beautiful billet RSC cover for the stator cover, Yoshi on the points side and RSC on the stator..... ;D  Pic later..... ;)
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

maduncle

« Reply #8812 on: January 04, 2012, 02:27:55 am »

Decided to cover all my bases with my carb set up options, so I began stripping down the spare set of stock CB750F carbs so I can clean them up, replace all the parts that need replacing, and fit them to the bike if the POSA experiment fails to deliver.

I just need to find a parts supplier that can ship me four carb kits that weigh less than 100 grams and fit in an envelope for less than they cost to buy!

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #8813 on: January 04, 2012, 05:31:18 am »
so would riding it 14km's on 2 cylinders be bad...lol... otherwise i have no way of getting home...

peace

Hey mate, you're not running Dyna coils are you? from memory you're running later model Honda coils, or is my memory going? I've never heard of a Dyna coil going, but regardless, try running a separate earth wire from your battery's negative post straight to a good earth on your coils and see if that doesn't fix it. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline jessezm

• '77 cb400f cafe build
  • Expert
  • Always wrenching...
« Reply #8814 on: January 04, 2012, 05:52:27 am »
Ported head with new valves, seals, bronze guides, and a valve job came in at 7pm last night.  I was a happy boy!

--Installed the new 466cc kit and reassembled the motor, set valves
--Installed new billet chain adjusters and new gold 520 X-ring chain
--Put engine back on bike
--reassembled everything else on the bike (rearsets, tank seat, carbs, coils), except for the new exhaust cause the darned ebay exhaust seals I got wouldn't fit.  GRRRRR!  Otherwise I would have had the bike totally together from a rolling frame and tore-apart top-end to ready-to-start in 5 hours....

Hopefully the shop will have Honda seals I can pick up today, otherwise I gotta wait till Saturday for new seals to arrive via mail.  I HATE WAITING!

Offline mjstone

• I'm definitly not a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #8815 on: January 04, 2012, 09:37:14 am »
Alright, I got fed up with it.  School started back up after winter break yesterday.  Drove the Jeep to work because my street is packed snow and ice.  Get to the end of the street and all the rest of the way to work is perfectly dry :o.  So today I said "F- it! I'm ridin' anyway!"  This morning 20F with a wind chill of 10F.  Ran in 1st gear real slow down my street and made it to the end just fine.  The rest of the way was a blast!   Coming home was the same! ;D ;D

MJ
1972 CB500Four (Honda)
1973 CB500Four (Oliver)

Offline veloracermike

• Hot Shot
« Reply #8816 on: January 04, 2012, 12:48:44 pm »
Finally got my bike back.  The battery mount is finished and overall it's pretty clean.  Unfortunately he mounted my seat about 1/2 off the tank from where I had it. He did that because he mounted the battery to far toward the rear and it was hitting the top of the 'hump.  But at this point I'm just happy to get my bike back.
WTB 400F Motor! PM me if you've got one!!!!!!!

Offline Kenny832

« Reply #8817 on: January 04, 2012, 12:49:56 pm »
I rode her...  8)
ducati-yamaha-now honda!

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8818 on: January 04, 2012, 12:56:06 pm »
Finally got my bike back.  The battery mount is finished and overall it's pretty clean.  Unfortunately he mounted my seat about 1/2 off the tank from where I had it. He did that because he mounted the battery to far toward the rear and it was hitting the top of the 'hump.  But at this point I'm just happy to get my bike back.

Glad you got your bike back. how does the gap look? I know its your bike, but I would be pissed to have gone through it all and have him move the seat back.
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.

Offline Felix

« Reply #8819 on: January 04, 2012, 01:10:21 pm »
I tried to put my carbs back on. Couldn't get my throttle cables on, now I'm wondering if I tried to do it the right way. Does anyone have a close-up of how they should be installed?
Honda CB500F '72 in progress

Offline veloracermike

• Hot Shot
« Reply #8820 on: January 04, 2012, 01:31:22 pm »

Glad you got your bike back. how does the gap look? I know its your bike, but I would be pissed to have gone through it all and have him move the seat back.

Not bad.  But I had about and 1/8th of an inch gap now it's closer to 3/8 inch.  I have a Scorpion AGM battery that I bought to relocated the battery.  It's  3 3/16th inches thick.  If I went with a smaller battery I could move the seat forward again.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 02:05:37 pm by veloracermike »
WTB 400F Motor! PM me if you've got one!!!!!!!

maduncle

« Reply #8821 on: January 04, 2012, 01:50:15 pm »

Decided to cover all my bases with my carb set up options, so I began stripping down the spare set of stock CB750F carbs so I can clean them up, replace all the parts that need replacing, and fit them to the bike if the POSA experiment fails to deliver.

I just need to find a parts supplier that can ship me four carb kits that weigh less than 100 grams and fit in an envelope for less than they cost to buy!

GRRR!

Strike one USA parts supplier off the list! They were quick to get back to me to tell me 'sorry' but the only service they use is FedEx so it would cost me $73 delivery for $60 in parts.

Does anyone out there know a Honda parts supplier who will have carb kits and who uses USPS Global for delivery?

Offline Frostyboy

• Retired: Never was an
  • Expert
  • Circa 1951
« Reply #8822 on: January 04, 2012, 03:35:38 pm »
GRRR!

Strike one USA parts supplier off the list! They were quick to get back to me to tell me 'sorry' but the only service they use is FedEx so it would cost me $73 delivery for $60 in parts.

Does anyone out there know a Honda parts supplier who will have carb kits and who uses USPS Global for delivery?

I've found David Silver to be quite reasonable. They send padded bag by normal mail.
Can you find what you need here? http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/CB750F2-(Single-overhead-cam)/

Cheers.
Last year I joined a support group for procrastinators.
We haven't met yet.
[CB550F1]

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #8823 on: January 04, 2012, 04:19:23 pm »
GRRR!

I've found David Silver to be quite reasonable. They send padded bag by normal mail.
Can you find what you need here? http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/CB750F2-(Single-overhead-cam)/

Cheers.

You could also try Sirius - http://www.siriusconinc.com/  They will mail them if you request it.
1977 CB550/4 Cafe - Speed Warrior / BOTM 03/11
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
1976 CB400 SS - stock / BOTM 04/11 (SOLD)
1973 CB750 K - basket case (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline cben750f0

• Master
« Reply #8824 on: January 04, 2012, 04:59:58 pm »

peace

Hey mate, you're not running Dyna coils are you? from memory you're running later model Honda coils, or is my memory going? I've never heard of a Dyna coil going, but regardless, try running a separate earth wire from your battery's negative post straight to a good earth on your coils and see if that doesn't fix it. Cheers, Terry. ;D

na vf1000 coils, if i place pressure on the earth tab on the coil, the bike will run on all four, but only for a short time, then you need to put more pressure on, i am at the point now, that no matter how much pressure i put on, no dice.

i got another coil off Brett Catana, here in cairns, who works on the bike the modern shops wont touch, so am fitting it this arvo... fingers crossed

peace