Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today ?  (Read 3150973 times)

Offline WhyNot2

• I'm finally an
  • Master
Re: What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #9125 on: February 04, 2012, 05:23:29 pm »
Did a little polishing for kicks.

Some before and after pics.

Yeah, I know,  its broken, hope I can find someone who can weld it.........any ideals?

It belongs to a 1974 cb350f1, they are really hard to come by.
If it ain't raining, I'm riding.....~~{iii}?~~prost

If it sounds like I know what I'm talking about, it's because I cut and pasted from someone else.

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #9126 on: February 04, 2012, 05:41:35 pm »
Look under services offered for laser welding-Jim French....Larry

Offline Really?

• I've come to the conclusion that I AM a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9127 on: February 04, 2012, 05:41:54 pm »
Picked up my new to me bike from greenjeans today.  Thinking about calling it Beans.  It looks like chit, the donation for the bike went to Bear and the bike came from greenjeans.
I don't have a motorcycle, sold it ('85 Yamaha Venture Royale).  Haven't had a CB750 for over 40 years.

The Wife's Bike - 750K5
The Kid's Bike - 750K3

Offline WhyNot2

• I'm finally an
  • Master
« Reply #9128 on: February 04, 2012, 05:43:16 pm »
Look under services offered for laser welding-Jim French....Larry

Thanks man, will do.
If it ain't raining, I'm riding.....~~{iii}?~~prost

If it sounds like I know what I'm talking about, it's because I cut and pasted from someone else.

Offline Roach Carver

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9129 on: February 04, 2012, 06:54:58 pm »
I think the laser welding is for small items. I think he does the little posts for the floats.

Offline tweakin

• tear down
  • Master
« Reply #9130 on: February 04, 2012, 07:54:21 pm »
Completed my 530 conversion and adde all stainless bolts to the rearsets.  Now just waiting on a few anodized bolts to complete the F.  60 degrees here so I was forced to ride the harley since the cb still isn't completed, not the same...

Online Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #9131 on: February 04, 2012, 08:41:46 pm »
Well with my K1 and Triumph temporarily off the road, I turned to my poor neglected Suzuki GS1000. I built this bike a few years ago out of two bikes, one with no engine and the other with a frame that was "modified" beyond redemption.

I wanted to install these new Stebel (loud) horns as the originals were missing:

That was easy, but then I had to contend with the wiring. The frame modifying PO had also had a go at extending the wiring harness from the left switchblock to the main harness, using only blue wires, which made things confusing, because the horn button didn't work, and the left switch's wiring didn't match that in my workshop manuals wiring diagram, nor did they match the wires protruding from the plug on the end, which in turn, didn't match the wires on the harness side of the plug either. FARK!

To be fair to him, he'd soldered and heat shrunk each connection, so I didn't bother to undo all his good(?) work, I just located the horn switch wires and connected them to the nifty special harness (with inbuilt relay and fuse) that I bought from Eastern Beaver, (thanks Ron, AKA MCRider) and cleaned up the harness and routing. After testing it, (very loud, louder than the horns in any of my cars) I took a pic and moved on to the next issue.

The PO had given up on getting the horns to work, so he just drilled a hole through the handlebar cover for a toggle switch, (he must have had very long thumbs!):

I scrounged around and found a nicer one and fitted it. Nice 5 minute job:

The front brakes have never worked brilliantly, which isn't all that surprising when you look at the OEM MC:

No biggie, I bought this new Yamaha FZR1000 MC recently, so I installed it and bled the brakes:

Still a little tidying to do, but hopefully my new Dyna 3 Ohm coils and plug wires will arrive this week and I can take it for a ride! Cheers, Terry. ;D

I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #9132 on: February 04, 2012, 08:57:57 pm »
you gotta have twin horns Terry!man all blue wires?maybe you could get a few different colours of shrink tube to tag them?

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9133 on: February 04, 2012, 09:13:22 pm »
you gotta have twin horns Terry!man all blue wires?maybe you could get a few different colours of shrink tube to tag them?

Ha ha, yep, I love those horns Dave, they say "Loud bikes save lives" and they might, but loud horns scare the schidtt out of dopey car drivers! I think I'll buy a new left side switch block with harness rather than keep going with that mess mate, auto-electrickery confuses me at the best of times, so I'd rather ditch it than pass it on to some other poor bastaard in years to come, I don't want him thinking I did it! (I know the PO did it, he bought that bike new) Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #9134 on: February 04, 2012, 09:30:04 pm »
for 38 bucks you buy from a truck supply place a "narva"brand "fanfare" twin 12 volt horn set, and these are the same sort of volume,i have two sets of the twin factory fitted hi/lo horns on the old holden HQ premier,these are all die cast alloy "RVB" brand,man its a deep and meaningfull sound,too bad theyre too big to really fit on a bike Terry.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 09:35:59 pm by dave500 »

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9135 on: February 05, 2012, 01:34:12 am »
Ok Dave, I'll check out the Narva's. The best horn I ever had was the one in my Studebaker Lark, that thing was impressive, it was a dual "High/Low" tone horn, I'd always find an excuse for my wife to look closely at the front of the car or under the bonnet and let her have it. Sometimes she'd just explode with rage and I'd have to lock myself in the car while she'd dance around trying to get in while screaming abuse at me, all the while I'd be rolling around on the front bench seat screaming with laughter.

Sadly the "Studie" is long gone, and startling my wife with my Stebel horns is no good, as on a motorcycle, there's nowhere to hide. Oh well, I've always got my memories......... ;D

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #9136 on: February 05, 2012, 01:50:51 am »
studebaker??i bought from this old guy where i worked in the early 80s an early suzi gt 250 left hand kicker,no rego etc,,i mr sheened it and got a rwc and sold it within two weeks,,he later told me how he took his old studebaker to the tip etc,,i said WHAT!'he went on to say it had no rego and was a thirsty V8,,you wouldnt have liked it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!insert gross swear words here.

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #9137 on: February 05, 2012, 02:09:19 am »
Studebaker? They were very innovative cars, both technically and aesthetically.  One of my father's many jobs was a district rep for Studebaker/Packard/Mercedes Benz.  He could bring home whatever car he wanted-Silver Hawks, Golden Hawks, Avantis, 300 SL, Packards . At the time all those franchises were rolled into one dealership. ...Larry

Offline K5owner

• Enthusiast
« Reply #9138 on: February 05, 2012, 04:21:05 am »
Hey Terry, the blue wires on your bike reminds of my friend's 1969 HD FLH. Back in the 80's, when he was so poor he "couldn't afford underwear", he replaced every wire with white ones. What a nightmare to trace and diagnose.
-Ray
-----------------------------------------------------
Remembering the past...   Livn' the dream

1975 Honda CB750 K5, Restored Aug/2011
1971 Honda CB175 K5, next project
1977 Honda CT70, swap meet scooter
2004 Honda NRX1800 (Rune), Cruiser
1977 Honda GL1000, daily driver

Offline Raef

• Expert
« Reply #9139 on: February 05, 2012, 07:26:17 am »
Studebaker??i bought from this old guy where i worked in the early 80s an early suzi gt 250 left hand kicker,no rego etc,,i mr sheened it and got a rwc and sold it within two weeks,,he later told me how he took his old studebaker to the tip etc,,i said WHAT!'he went on to say it had no rego and was a thirsty V8,,you wouldnt have liked it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!insert gross swear words here.

yes.... there are a couple 53 ish Studebaker's sitting around my dads shop rusting away and an old "straight 8" Packard as a well. I actually got to drive the Packard before the motor was pulled do to a dead cylinder, that was about 30 years ago. its been moved a couple times but is basically in the same condition it was in then

Mark

Offline chickenman_26

• Hot Shot
    • Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #9140 on: February 05, 2012, 09:05:54 am »
I switched my '71 CB500 over to Synthetic oil and naturaly, all of the oil seals and O rings I hadn't already replaced started leaking. The leakage was all under the sprocket cover and included the oil pump O rings as well as all three oil seals. Thankfully, all of those parts are still available from Honda. So three days after ordering, I replaced it all.

The oil pump O rings were flattened and hard. The old clutch pushrod seal was so worn that when I examined it after removal, the pushrod would pass right through without even touching it! Two of the three pump attachment screws required an impact tool to remove. And I didn't like the idea of trying to evenly torque an oil pump to an engine with a screwdriver. So I replaced those screws with good used valve cover bolts of equivalent length and torqued them to 84 in. lb. (standard Honda manual torque for 6 mm bolts).

Stu

MCN DTF

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
  • Helmets Save Lives. Period.
« Reply #9141 on: February 05, 2012, 09:07:39 am »
Nice work Stu.  How's the clutch feel now?  Any mods there?

Offline strynboen

• Old Timer
    • http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=igv77dsnf7j8ools2j62ugcm60&/topic,60973.0.html
« Reply #9142 on: February 05, 2012, 09:23:31 am »
the kids atv. are broke.china are not japan...dont forget that..faund a spare engine..
the valvets have kissed the piston
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 09:27:08 am by strynboen »
i kan not speak english/but trying!!
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60973.0
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=144758.0
i hate all this v-w.... vords

Offline chickenman_26

• Hot Shot
    • Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #9143 on: February 05, 2012, 10:39:26 am »
Nice work Stu.  How's the clutch feel now?  Any mods there?
Hi Greggo,
The clutch has been perfect since I replaced the friction plates last month. No mods to the clutch at all.

Stu
MCN DTF

Offline Raef

• Expert
« Reply #9144 on: February 05, 2012, 12:14:33 pm »
Charged the battery and Started it, oh and I broke the side cover when I removed it to charge the battery. :o

Offline Roach Carver

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9145 on: February 05, 2012, 02:07:11 pm »
Took the carbs apart.

Offline bandit1

« Reply #9146 on: February 05, 2012, 03:06:09 pm »
Since I lost the baffle out of the muffler last weekend, I made up a new one and reinstalled it today, then went for a nice ride to check out the sound.  Didn't sound bad except between 4200-4800 rpm it gets real raspy then smoothes out.  Not too bad for my first attempt.
1971 CB500
2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #9147 on: February 05, 2012, 03:23:30 pm »
Hey bandit, got any pictures?

I drilled the brake rotor and made another speedo boss for the dual brake setup. Just for the joy of lathe work - I love aluminum, makes me feel like I am real machinist:)

Offline bandit1

« Reply #9148 on: February 05, 2012, 04:04:40 pm »
It's nothing special to look at.
1971 CB500
2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S

Offline mjstone

• I'm definitly not a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #9149 on: February 05, 2012, 05:24:51 pm »
My son helped me to remove the rear wheel.  We took it in to Rocky's so the could replace the tube.  20 minutes later it was done.  $10 labor and 13.99 for a tube, I was happy.  While we were there, I ordered a couple extra quick connectors for my Noco Genius charger.  One for the '73 and one for my son's KZ400.

Put the bike back together.  Got the rear brake adjusted better out of all this.  Went out for a test ride.  Now the front brakes are squealing. Maybe I'll get to those tomorrow.
1972 CB500Four (Honda)
1973 CB500Four (Oliver)