Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today ?  (Read 3150910 times)

Offline CycleRanger

• No comment about being an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas Shop Manual Advocate
Re: What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #9175 on: February 07, 2012, 09:28:54 pm »
Bought another CJ.

Borderline hoarder?!

Just keeping up with you. ;)   
(yeah I guess I shouldn't be so quick to throw that label for other folks!) ::)
I'm almost done with the XL so I want to make sure I have enough spares for the CJ since it's next.
Although, the new one is pretty much intact except for the muffler. Who knows, I might end up with a running pair.
No title, it was cheap. I'm picking it up Saturday.
Do you have a copy of the Honda Shop Manual or Parts List for your bike? Get one here:
https://www.honda4fun.com/materiale/documentazione-tecnica
CB750K5        '79 XL250s     CL350K3
CB750K3        '76 XS650      '76 CJ360T

Offline bender01

• Master
  • "Follow the leader.He's on a Honda"
« Reply #9176 on: February 07, 2012, 09:39:56 pm »
Tews. Is that an old GT or Redline in the background? Viscount seat?
75 550 K1
74 750 K4
1968 450 K1 Super Sport
74 750k 836 project
http://www.bikepics.com/members/bender01/
So, the strategy is to lie to people you are asking for help?

I think I'll be busy going for a ride.

Good luck!
Two Tired Quote !

Offline persson-johan@hotmail.com

• Enthusiast
« Reply #9177 on: February 08, 2012, 03:20:33 am »

Synked my carbs! Runs like a dream :)

Looks like you got a bit of a SOHC4 fan club there.

(Badum tish!)

Geez Cliff, that blows! (the joke, that is......) I was gonna ask why anyone would need a fan to keep an engine cool in Sweden in winter, I woulda thought a heater to keep the engine warm would have been more appropriate? Cheers, Terry. ;D

Haha. Well i keep my garage warm and coozy tho :) Im not gonna stand in the damn snow syncing my carbs!

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #9178 on: February 08, 2012, 04:03:51 am »
There was some funny feeling in corners while riding - I thought maybe the swing arm bushings are due for replacement, but looks like it was just lose rear fender :)

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9179 on: February 08, 2012, 05:59:11 am »
Yep its an  old GT. A few summers ago I saw it while rummaging. Asked the oldest if he wanted it and he said no. I bought it and
Brought it home. His friends were like oh cool bike. He then asked if he can have it. I still look out for old Bmx bikes so if any of you have a Robinson, redline, or cooks brothers pm me.
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.

Offline Radam

• taco racer
  • Master
« Reply #9180 on: February 09, 2012, 07:46:27 am »
Yesterday I sold my F3. Almost cried a little, but I'm one step closer to Australia!

maduncle

« Reply #9181 on: February 09, 2012, 12:33:22 pm »
Yesterday I sold my F3. Almost cried a little, but I'm one step closer to Australia!

Where are you coming to in Australia then?

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #9182 on: February 09, 2012, 10:31:52 pm »

Melbourne Cliff, Adam's wife has picked up a job at one of the University's (can't remember which one) and he's keen to buy a CB750 while he's here. It'll be good to meet him! Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9183 on: February 09, 2012, 11:13:43 pm »
Well I waved goodbye to my Triumph Rocket III as it disappeared into the distance, on it's way to the Triumph dealership so they can find out what's making the horrible noises from the transmission. My latest guess is that the output shaft's bearing has collapsed, it seems that some of the 2004-2008 models had this problem, which was apparently a case of the bearings being installed incorrectly on some bikes in the factory, starving them of oil, and causing them to shatter. Great. It's well out of warranty but with only 6000 miles on the odometer, and a known factory fault that can't be attributed to anything I've done, I'm hoping that the dealer will repair it for free.

On a happier note, a huge Samoan man from UPS delivered a box shortly afterwards. I'd been mentally hopping from one foot to the other in anticipation of my new Dyna 3 Ohm coils and leads (and crimping tool) arriving from Z1 Enterprises that I ordered last week for my Suzuki GS1000. These Suzy's are brilliant bikes, fast, with bullet proof engines, and probably the best handling bike from the 1970's, with the possible exception of most Italian bikes from the era. Mine has been disappointing though, mainly due to the ignition system. I installed a NOS Martek 440 ignition last year, but that just highlighted the fact that the OEM coils were shot. Anyway, I opened the box to study my new treasures:

I bought these Bosch spark plugs at a swap meet a few years ago for a buck each, they came in boxes of 8, so I bought 3 boxes for 20 bucks. Bargain!

The installation went well, once these horrible OEM things were removed and deposited in the circular file:

I won't bore you with pictures of the nice new coils installed, (because I forgot to take any pics before I re-installed the tank) but no biggie. I pressed the button and the bike fired right up (it hasn't been run since last Sunday) without me even using the choke, it's never done that before, fantastic! I wanted to see how bright the spark now was, so with the bike happily idling at around 500 RPM on 3 cylinders, I took this pic:

Fark! Anyway, I thought about taking it for a ride for about 30 seconds until the rain came thumping down, dumping about a brazillion gallons of water and hail on my neighbourhood. I decided (quite easily, actually) that discretion is the better part of valour, and came inside to watch TV instead. Oh well, there's always tomorrow! Cheers, Terry. ;D

I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Elniniomuchachos

• Hot Shot
« Reply #9184 on: February 10, 2012, 02:13:13 am »
Rode it up South Mountain and then INTO the side of the mountain...  :-[
Here's the damage to the bike. Not too bad. Luckily I have spares for everything that is broken.

Here's my post from my blog.

"Wrecked… I was riding up South Mountain around 6:30 p.m. I had made it all the way to the top, just below the towers. I was doing about 40 mph and there was a dip in the road with a corner and in this corner was a good amount of sand wash (which was probably from when it rained earlier this week). I hit the brakes and the rear wheel locked up in the sand, which caused the rear end of my bike to swing out from under me. The bike then gained traction on the asphalt and bucked me off to the right side and I skidded for about 10 feet or so on my stomach off into the dirt. As soon as I stopped moving I jumped up and cursed the dirt, then ran to my bike. Turned off the power and gas feed picked it up and examined the carnage.   Luckily the bike’s worse than I am, but I’ll have it back to normal by this weekend hopefully. I really wish I chose to ride with my GoPro because the footage would be hilarious to watch and hear me screaming “#$%* you” into the darkness."

Could have been alot worse.. Another 45 feet and I would have ended up in a valley with a rough way down...

Offline CycleRanger

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9185 on: February 10, 2012, 06:58:30 am »

That's a great photo!

Heh, I once had the guy at the auto parts store excoriate me for wanting to install German Bosch plugs in my Japanese Nissan truck... ::)
Do you have a copy of the Honda Shop Manual or Parts List for your bike? Get one here:

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #9186 on: February 10, 2012, 07:16:51 am »
I think I see a big fat 'N' not a 'B' on that spark plug ceramic through the fuzziness---Are you pulling a spark plug fastie on us Terry.   ???     :D
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 08:57:46 am by ekpent »

Offline mick7504

• Old Timer
« Reply #9187 on: February 10, 2012, 08:26:02 am »
Well after another stinking hot & humid day, that rain has finally decided to have a break for a while.
I fired up the CB1100 and went for a blast down the Stuart Highway.

It's been nearly 4 weeks now because of the wet weather.

When I got home, it was down to shed to do some work on the 836 engine.
I had a look at the old K1 which is on the waiting list and then moved on to the rebuild.

The head was next on the list, so I coated the head gasket with some VHT Copper Gasket Cement.

The Ape HD cylinder studs have been taken to 25ft/lb and I'll retorque them again after a few days.

Tensioning in small increments with clean and lubricated threads is the best way to minimise a stud breakage.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 08:27:39 am by mick7504 »
If I was you
I'd be worried about me.

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
  • Helmets Save Lives. Period.
« Reply #9188 on: February 10, 2012, 08:27:52 am »
Took the 500/4 on a nice mountain/twisty run and passed by a nice '76 750F, turned around and caught up with him...nice old guy! 

Offline Radam

• taco racer
  • Master
« Reply #9189 on: February 10, 2012, 11:10:45 am »

Melbourne Cliff, Adam's wife has picked up a job at one of the University's (can't remember which one) and he's keen to buy a CB750 while he's here. It'll be good to meet him! Cheers, Terry. ;D

Yup, like Terry said, we'll be in Melbourne. My wife got a job at the Bio 21 institute at the Uni of Melbourne. We're renting a room from a lady for the first month that's right by the CBD. We get there the morning of the 23rd. We're in Ohio now, then we go to LA for a couple days, then the long plane ride(around 16hrs). It would be great to meet up with some of you. The only people I even half ass know in Oz are on this forum. I can't wait to see the stars in the southern hemisphere again! Cheers!

Offline veloracermike

• Hot Shot
« Reply #9190 on: February 10, 2012, 11:37:36 am »
My painter finished my tank and seat...pick it up this weekend.  Here is a teaser

http://nordydesign.com/cafe-racer.html
WTB 400F Motor! PM me if you've got one!!!!!!!

Offline ADW

• Enthusiast
« Reply #9191 on: February 10, 2012, 11:44:32 am »
Set the timing with a timing light, vacuum synched the carbs, and went for a (short) test ride! (First test ride after 3 months of disassembly, cleanup/fixup, and reassembly).

Offline Tugboat

• Puppet
  • Master
  • '75 CB750K + '67 CL90 + '71 CT90
    • PseudoMoto
« Reply #9192 on: February 10, 2012, 01:00:00 pm »
Started putting my front-end back together. Painted trees and headlight bucket while they were off. Shined up the gauges too.

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing twice.

Offline steam-powered man

• Not the eggman, Not the walrus, I am the
  • Hot Shot
  • Where are you going? I was going to make Espresso
« Reply #9193 on: February 10, 2012, 02:34:27 pm »
previously:  sanded/painted the oil tank, polished the oil line fittings, and installed with new o-rings;  cleaned up the oil cooler, oil lines/clamps and installed with new filter;  installed/adjusted the cct with new gasket;  installed the carb rack/cables;  removed the advancer unit for full disass/cleaning/light lube (arms were stuck);  removed the rear wheel to sort out the hub bearing retainer issue (won't fuly seat).

found out i had completely, fully, thoroughly and without abandon, completely fubar'd the hub threads.  blast! >:(

replacement hub on the way, now i need to relace my HD rim onto my new hub.    blast!   >:(

mount/balance tire.    blast!    >:(

dagnabbit/some#$%*/ arrrg!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 02:36:14 pm by steam-powered man »
searching for a dr350se

Offline IndyFour

• Hot Shot
« Reply #9194 on: February 10, 2012, 03:03:00 pm »
My old CB550 got a new roommate today.  I sold my '87 VFR700 earlier this week and found this to replace it.....

2000 VFR800FI  with Corbin Beetle hard bags.

This yellow is one of those love/hate colors.  It's growing on me.  Definitely not as common as Red, Black, etc.  Maybe the cagers will see me now? 
1974 CB550K
2000 VFR800FIY

Offline WhyNot2

• I'm finally an
  • Master
« Reply #9195 on: February 10, 2012, 04:23:21 pm »
Went to the harley shop to pick up a brake light switch for my softail.

Got pounded by the salesmen. Told them the kind of bikes I have.

They actually were impressed and wanted to see the CBs when I get them done.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 04:54:34 pm by budlite282 »
If it ain't raining, I'm riding.....~~{iii}?~~prost

If it sounds like I know what I'm talking about, it's because I cut and pasted from someone else.

Offline CycleRanger

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9196 on: February 10, 2012, 04:52:35 pm »
Dropped off the XL250s cylinder and a new .50 over piston at the machine shop so the two of them can get better acquainted. :)

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9197 on: February 10, 2012, 05:05:07 pm »

That's a great photo!

Heh, I once had the guy at the auto parts store excoriate me for wanting to install German Bosch plugs in my Japanese Nissan truck... ::)

Thanks mate, it is a little fuzzy as Eric points out, I took that pic with my left hand while holding the plug lead with my right. I've had some of my haul of Bosch plugs in both GS1000's, and it ran crap, but I didn't realise at the time that the coils in both bikes were shot. I've had a BMW fetish for many years, and all my BMW's did many thousands of miles on Bosch plugs, so I should have realised that it wasn't a plug issue. Cheers, Terry. ;D

I think I see a big fat 'N' not a 'B' on that spark plug ceramic through the fuzziness---Are you pulling a spark plug fastie on us Terry.   ???     :D

Ha ha, guilty as charged Eric, I used one of the old NGK's that I replaced with the Bosch plugs for that pic. That's some excellent sleuthing Eric, you make Sherlock Holmes look like a rank amateur mate! ;D

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #9198 on: February 10, 2012, 05:10:17 pm »
You guys can't get anything over on me --------------  :)

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9199 on: February 10, 2012, 05:11:32 pm »
My old CB550 got a new roommate today.  I sold my '87 VFR700 earlier this week and found this to replace it.....

2000 VFR800FI  with Corbin Beetle hard bags.

This yellow is one of those love/hate colors.  It's growing on me.  Definitely not as common as Red, Black, etc.  Maybe the cagers will see me now? 

That is sweet mate, I've got a soft spot for those V4 Honda's and have thought about buying one on several occasions. Over here they seem to be pretty inexpensive, and the newer the better. I like the yellow, like you say, lots of red ones here, not sure if I've seen a yellow one here? Cheers, Terry. ;D