Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today ?  (Read 3150551 times)

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
Re: What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #9525 on: March 12, 2012, 08:45:53 pm »
I absolutely without a doubt think the cbx is the bee's knee's. It's got to be the most striking motorcycle, road bike, I've ever seen. All that motor up front has a very big presence. You lucky sob :D any pics of the whole bike?
Funny though back in the day Honda was having a hard time selling the CBX. They did not go over that well then. They were giving them away to colleges for mechanic schools and deeply discounting them to get them out of inventory. Looks like things have really changed now though as they are selling for way more than new.They are in icon status with good reason.

Offline ThomasD883

• Enthusiast
« Reply #9526 on: March 12, 2012, 08:51:28 pm »
The only thing that keeps me from looking is I know I would have to fix something on it someday, parts have to be outrageous and four carbs really is enough ;D funny about not being able to sell them though, I've heard they were not very successful ing the track.
Diesel deeds, done dirt cheap

Offline Trevor from Warragul

• Expert
« Reply #9527 on: March 13, 2012, 04:32:37 am »
have polished the instrument panel on my cbx

Have you got a billet aluminium fuse cover?  They look great!

Trevor
1971 Kawasaki H1A
1972 Honda CB350F
1976 Moto Morini 3 1/2 Sport
1978 Honda CBX
1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200
1999 Ducati Monster 750

Offline wardenerd

• Expert
  • '77 550F '81 650C
« Reply #9528 on: March 13, 2012, 05:00:45 am »
I am still sanding the 550 for Primer today

Offline bjatwood

• I never claimed to be an
  • Expert
  • 1973 CB750-K3
    • Minbikers Proboards
« Reply #9529 on: March 13, 2012, 06:56:01 am »
Took the K3 for a ride last night after I got her all buttoned up. The relaced wheel, new JT sprockets, new Gold 530 X-ring chain, and new EBC brake shoes were all playing nice and smooth together on this the inaugural ride of the season. It's gonna be a GREAT riding summer!
Brian

I believe that the Finest things are the most thoughtfully made, not the most expensive!
http://minibikers.proboards.com/

Offline apostrophe28

• Enthusiast
« Reply #9530 on: March 13, 2012, 07:27:04 pm »
started steaming the grime off the case, and polishing the stator/trans covers....holding my breath till fork rebuild parts arive later this wk!
1977 750k

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #9531 on: March 13, 2012, 07:30:34 pm »
Still fighting the flat. Is there a trick to mounting tubeless Kenda over a tube?  If there is, I am not getting it.

Offline dirtdawg

« Reply #9532 on: March 13, 2012, 09:47:20 pm »
Took it for a short ride. Ordered NGK Iridium spark plugs. Will be getting tags tomorrow.
78 CB550k
2000 gl1500 CSC TRIKE

Offline Really?

• I've come to the conclusion that I AM a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9533 on: March 13, 2012, 10:17:20 pm »
That reminds me, I need to get new tags and inspection stickers for two bikes.
I don't have a motorcycle, sold it ('85 Yamaha Venture Royale).  Haven't had a CB750 for over 40 years.

The Wife's Bike - 750K5
The Kid's Bike - 750K3

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #9534 on: March 13, 2012, 10:33:39 pm »
Still fighting the flat. Is there a trick to mounting tubeless Kenda over a tube?  If there is, I am not getting it.

No trick,  are you using good tire spoons? I bought a pair from Honda 40 years ago-the best. And are you using some lubricant on the tread?  Spray Nine works well. My approach:  Get the tire over the rim, then work the stem into the hole(as soon as you get the stem through put a nut on a couple threads so the stem doesn't pull back ), stuff the tube evenly under the side of the tire that hasn't been mounted, blow the tube up to remove any wrinkles, release air from tire(makes it a bit difficult to mount with air in ::) ::), push the stem in and begin working the tire that has been lubricated with Spray Nine or soapy water over the rim at that point, you should be able by hand to work 3/4 of the tire over the rim, use the spoons for the final quarter being careful the the curve part of the spoon only catches on the rim. Then blow the tube up again until the tire bead is evenly seated. Let alll the air out again, put the stem core back in and inflate to proper pressure.  Hope this helps....Larry
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 08:07:22 am by MoMo »

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #9535 on: March 14, 2012, 03:44:26 am »
Thank you, Larry
The wheel did not have the rubber stripe over nipples, I put one in - but I doubt that makes a difference.
I have tire flow or something to that name from pepboys and three tire spoons - made for cars. I routinely change tires on my jeep and trailer and tractor, but maybe those irons are too big.
Anyway the last pull over is on the edge of damaging the tire, i can feel the stress and I ended up with another two holes in the tube - hmmm, better check the inside of the tire, it may be a coincident.
My procedure is pretty much same as yours, between bicycle tires and car/truck tires I was sure I have enough experience. Will try again tonight.

Thanks.

Offline JustinLonghorn

« Reply #9536 on: March 14, 2012, 07:31:13 am »
Fired her up for the first time since November. Started first kick... god I love my baby 4.
"So you had better do as you are told
You better listen to the radio"

My Super Sport Build

Offline ADW

• Enthusiast
« Reply #9537 on: March 14, 2012, 07:42:51 am »
Thank you, Larry
The wheel did not have the rubber stripe over nipples, I put one in - but I doubt that makes a difference.
I have tire flow or something to that name from pepboys and three tire spoons - made for cars. I routinely change tires on my jeep and trailer and tractor, but maybe those irons are too big.
Anyway the last pull over is on the edge of damaging the tire, i can feel the stress and I ended up with another two holes in the tube - hmmm, better check the inside of the tire, it may be a coincident.
My procedure is pretty much same as yours, between bicycle tires and car/truck tires I was sure I have enough experience. Will try again tonight.

Thanks.

You may already know this, but the key to ANY successful tire mounting is that the tire opposite of where you are working the spoons MUST (absolutely MUST) be in the recessed area of the rim, the little "dip" down in the rim where the spoke are. That is the purpose of that "dip" in the rim, it lets the whole tire move just enough toward your spoons that you can get that edge of the tire flipped over the bead. If you're having trouble getting the last bit of tire over the bead, it's pretty sure that the tire opposite isn't down in the rim. What I like to use is a woodworkers bar clamp

to keep the side opposite smushed down enough that the bead will get down into the divot in the rim. But anything you have that can smush that down and hold it (c-clamp, big welding type vice grips, whatever) will do it.

That's the #1 secret to mounting a new tire. If you don't have the opposite side in the rim divot, you'll never get it on (without damaging the tire). The #2 secret, as already said, is lots of lube on the bead.

Offline Really?

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9538 on: March 14, 2012, 08:43:33 am »
Waiting on my swing arm to get here from HM.  I need to get the seat and plastic inner fender and seat back on, been cleaning in there where no one can see.  I need to paint the swingarm before it goes back in, need to get something while I am off today and tomorrow.
I don't have a motorcycle, sold it ('85 Yamaha Venture Royale).  Haven't had a CB750 for over 40 years.

The Wife's Bike - 750K5
The Kid's Bike - 750K3

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9539 on: March 14, 2012, 11:12:15 am »
I rode it for the first time since last July! Beautiful day here, couldn't ask for better considering the date. Makes me wonder if all the money we saved on heating this past winter isn't going to go to DTE for A/C this summer though.  ::)
We'll all be someone else's PO some day.

Offline strynboen

• Old Timer
    • http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=kmm1ogeb1femou0jjm7l5gpbl3&/topic,60973.0.html
« Reply #9540 on: March 14, 2012, 11:40:35 am »
thanged oil and filter...set platins to 0,30....one kick..and it runs...15 marts are start on seson for mine summer bikes..
have to rebuild my front forks...but now it aut and drive time... :) :)
i kan not speak english/but trying!!
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60973.0
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=144758.0
i hate all this v-w.... vords

Offline dhall57

• Old Timer
  • The 70's! SOHC4 Honda's & Marcia Brady of course.
« Reply #9541 on: March 14, 2012, 03:27:38 pm »
Rode the K6 to work today. It was 58 at 7:00 this morning and 80 riding home at 5:00. I love it!!

« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 04:31:57 pm by dhall57 »
1970 CB750KO
1971 CB500KO-project bike
1973 CB350G- project bike
1974 CB750K4-project bike
1974 CB750K4
1976 CB750K6
1977 GL1000
1997 Harley Wideglide

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9542 on: March 14, 2012, 06:33:16 pm »
Changed the oil out of the 550K, had to tighten the float bowl screws... Guess I didnt do a good enough job prior. Took her for about a 40 mile ride. Drove really well. I did have a lil gas smell while driving but figured due to loose float bowls.

1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.

Offline thrutheframe

• Expert
  • did you bleed when you built that?
« Reply #9543 on: March 15, 2012, 12:17:51 am »
I rode her all over, city, country, interstate.  Stopped at my buddies house and we took my headlight out and tried to sort out why my low beam doesn't work.  The contact fo the low beam is intermittent where it goe into the light.  Then on the way home my left mirror blew out of the ruuber mount. :-\
'74 cb 750 K4
'79 CB 650 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=83981.0
'75 CB 360T
'90 RC31 Hawk GT

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #9544 on: March 15, 2012, 12:27:01 am »
I rode her all over, city, country, interstate.  Stopped at my buddies house and we took my headlight out and tried to sort out why my low beam doesn't work.  The contact fo the low beam is intermittent where it goe into the light.  Then on the way home my left mirror blew out of the ruuber mount. :-\

That could be the connection inside the l/h switch.  Try spraying either contact cleaner or WD/40 throught the opening of the t/s slide switch...Larry

Offline Really?

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9545 on: March 15, 2012, 10:00:52 am »
Decided to try and wake Brownie from her, at least, 6 month slumber.  Put the charger on the battery last night, came out this morning, took the charger off, turn the key on and off a few times to get the carbs pumped up, hit the starter with full choke and no throttle.  She started right up as if she was running yesterday.  Let her warm up a bit, turned the choke off and she idled as she is supposed to.  I am excited and amazed at the same time.  Now to get her on the road for a bit.  Need to do my walk around first and check that tire pressure!

The Wife's Bike - 750K5
The Kid's Bike - 750K3

Offline ThomasD883

• Enthusiast
« Reply #9546 on: March 15, 2012, 04:48:17 pm »
Installed a new right hand control and mirrors I got from geminimotors, awesome to work with, cleaned out my master cylinder cause my front brakes stuck almost full on :P, during this my clutch began slipping. :P Changed the oil with the proper stuff instead of the spare diesel 15/40 I j
had sitting around, hope its that simple. It's a labor of love, so I tell myself.
Diesel deeds, done dirt cheap

Offline heffay

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9547 on: March 15, 2012, 06:08:08 pm »
installed new throttle cables and carb caps on the banshee.  had to drill and tap for new idle screws cuz they were previously built in to the stock T.O.R.S. caps. 

decided to change the oil in her as well... 250 ft. lb air gun didn't budge the oil plug, ended up breaking the sum#$%* loose with a 6 foot breaker bar!  good work, PO  :o
Today: '73 cb350f, '96 Ducati 900 Supersport
Past Rides: '72 tc125, '94 cbr600f2, '76 rd400, '89 ex500, '93 KTM-125exc, '92 zx7r, '93 Banshee, '83 ATC250R, 77/75 cb400f

72500john

« Reply #9548 on: March 15, 2012, 06:17:02 pm »
rode out to the local hareware store to get more seeds for the garden. went up the mountain afterwords. planted the seeds and went out to lunch. got home to find the new motad exhaust deliver at the side door. went out for another ride just because the weather was nice.

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #9549 on: March 15, 2012, 06:24:22 pm »
Mounted the "luggage rack" that I finished up yesterday. I'm ready for the RELAY, 10 days ahead of schedule!!! ;D ;D ;D
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....