Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today ?  (Read 3150493 times)

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
Re: What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #9575 on: March 17, 2012, 06:59:27 pm »
I fixed the flat. All it needed were some motorcycle spoons, I dnt know how many off road truck tires I changed in my life, but those irons sure dont work with bike tires.
She is ready for the road - finally.

Question: to get the rear wheel off, you have to disconnect the chain, right? 

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
« Reply #9576 on: March 17, 2012, 07:05:02 pm »
I fixed the flat. All it needed were some motorcycle spoons, I dnt know how many off road truck tires I changed in my life, but those irons sure dont work with bike tires.

No. Do what I do and use karma.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Draw and drawer. Could care less/couldn't care less. Bought/brought FFS.

Les Ross.            Certified by a Professional

Offline 70CB750

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #9577 on: March 17, 2012, 07:08:55 pm »
Karma in my original language is gas powered instant water heater? Hmmm, how could that be beneficial?

Offline CB500_k2

• Hot Shot
  • Wrenching makes a good retirement.
« Reply #9578 on: March 17, 2012, 07:25:05 pm »
Well, I thought my CB500 swallowed a washer from the tach. cable assembly into spark plug hole #4.   I took the head off to remove the washer and found that I had been mistaken and all cylinders were empty.  This gave me an opportunity to put in a new head gasket and a bunch of O rings.  A day well spent preparing my  machine for spring.  Hope that those pesky oil leaks on the head will be fixed.
Too many bikes -- too little time
1973 CB500
1974 CB350 - sold
1975 CB400F SuperSport
2000 Ducati Monster Dark

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #9579 on: March 17, 2012, 10:01:54 pm »

No mate, if Karma doesn't do it for you, just slide the axle out, drop the spacer, pull the brake backing plate and shoes out, and separate the cush drive from the hub, and remove them all piece by piece. No need to break the chain, then just reassemble in reverse order. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9580 on: March 17, 2012, 10:11:05 pm »
Terry,

I've not yet determined what caused my problem.  Here's leftover media from blasting the engine parts I found moments ago in the oil filter housing.  So, it could be a plugged orifice or two:

The oil filter oil looks like a 70's metal flake job - not optimistic at this point:

In the last 24 hours I've gone from this:

To this:

Hopefully, I can try to figure it out this week.  If not, it'll be two weeks due to my kids' spring break.

My sympathies go out to you mate, the downside of blasting cases is making sure you remove all the grit. I fill a tub (the bathtub would be great if I thought I could get away with it) with warm soapy water and use bore brushes, pipe cleaners, paint brushes etc to clean every oilway, internal thread, crack, crevice or hole. I then rinse it all out with a high pressure nozzle on my garden hose, and then blow the whole thing out with compressed air at around 100 PSI.

So far I've been lucky and haven't found any grit in my first oil change, but I have thought twice about not blasting any more engines when I see pics like yours. I hope your problems are only minor mate, you've done such a magnificent job restoring that bike. Cheers, Terry. ;D
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 10:12:58 pm by Terry in Australia »
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9581 on: March 17, 2012, 10:44:37 pm »
Well I sold my beautiful Henry Abe wheels to a guy in Japan for $1,112.00! Who'd have thought a set of period mag wheels could be worth so much dough? Woohoo! That'll help knock a hole in my $2,335.00 US Triumph repair bill! Okay, so I had to get the wheels off the bike and get the tires removed, so I had to remove the Yoshimura pipe so I could temporarily replace the centre stand, then I used my engine crane to raise the front up to get the front wheel out, whew!

My friend Jeff, who runs Ace Motorcycles here in Melbourne stripped the tires off and installed the front tire on my Borrani rimmed front wheel. My rear wheel has a disc hub and I've decided to relace a drum brake hub into it, so I need to order some new Buchanan's stainless steel spokes to match the front wheel, so I temporarily installed my 16" back wheel until the rear Borrani is right to go.   

I also did some more work on Ken's K1, the fork seals need replacing and the gaiters have rotted away, plus there are new headlight ears to install, so plenty to do! Cheers, Terry. ;D 

Offline cben750f0

• nothin draws attention like a classic bike!!
  • Master
  • '75 CB750F0 Gladstone NQLD OZ
« Reply #9582 on: March 17, 2012, 10:59:24 pm »
put a set of tarozzi crash bars on the F, am a little worried with it being the wet season up that i might drop it on one of the ultra slippery roundabouts.

look great, but will be comming off in the dryer weather

peace
you are never to old, to act like a kid... be safe
funny thing,chasing someone down hill on a bike 30 years older than theirs..
he said \\\\\\\'it was like watching a 250kg unguided weapon getting stuck up you bum\\\\\\\ http://www.bikepics.com/members/trixtrem/

Offline 70CB750

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #9583 on: March 18, 2012, 12:33:19 am »

No mate, if Karma doesn't do it for you, just slide the axle out, drop the spacer, pull the brake backing plate and shoes out, and separate the cush drive from the hub, and remove them all piece by piece. No need to break the chain, then just reassemble in reverse order. Cheers, Terry. ;D

Thank you, Terry.  This is not the first time me complicating things too much.

Offline Bailgang

• Scott
  • Old Timer
  • Indiana
« Reply #9584 on: March 18, 2012, 12:04:04 pm »
Putting the finishing touches on my kid's 73 cb750 and fired it up today just to let it run for a bit. The local body shop should have the tank and trim done some time this week. After that just a few more odds and ends and this 750 will be hitting the road again for the first time in 20+ years. My kid is in  college and he keeps bugging with with texts asking "Is the paint done yet?" sounding very familiar to when he was a kid in the car on a long trip asking "Are we there yet?" over and over again
Scott

71 cb350 twin
77 cb750 F2
83 gl1100 Interstate

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #9585 on: March 18, 2012, 01:05:52 pm »
F I N A L L Y........ 

Got the cam degreed and set the valves. Checked piston to valve clearance. Went to install the nice newly chromed valve cover only to realize I don't have a gasket. While I'm awaiting that guess it's time to overhaul the starter clutch, set up the clutch, set up the alternator parts in the side cover, install the center stand on the frame, install the bronze bushings in my NOS swing arm, install steering head bearings and clean all the other parts I'll be reusing like inner fender, chain guard and Kerker.

Any suggestions on what to install on the bare frame before I install it over the engine?

As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline 70CB750

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #9586 on: March 18, 2012, 02:08:04 pm »
Rode her, changed oil/filter. Rode her again.

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9587 on: March 18, 2012, 02:39:33 pm »
Did a 2.5 ride today. Only 84 miles but it was a good time.
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.

Offline CycleRanger

• No comment about being an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas Shop Manual Advocate
« Reply #9588 on: March 18, 2012, 02:45:11 pm »
Any suggestions on what to install on the bare frame before I install it over the engine?

Something light?   ;D

Changed the oil in the K5 today.  Didn't find anything untoward. Didn't get any oil on the Kerker.
Mission accomplished!
Do you have a copy of the Honda Shop Manual or Parts List for your bike? Get one here:
https://www.honda4fun.com/materiale/documentazione-tecnica
CB750K5        '79 XL250s     CL350K3
CB750K3        '76 XS650      '76 CJ360T

Offline heffay

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9589 on: March 18, 2012, 03:28:04 pm »

???  2.5
Today: '73 cb350f, '96 Ducati 900 Supersport
Past Rides: '72 tc125, '94 cbr600f2, '76 rd400, '89 ex500, '93 KTM-125exc, '92 zx7r, '93 Banshee, '83 ATC250R, 77/75 cb400f

Offline OldSchool_IsCool

• Really feeling like an
  • Old Timer
  • WARNING: Objects in mirror appear to be LOSING!
« Reply #9590 on: March 18, 2012, 03:35:27 pm »

???  2.5

Maybe 2-up with SO and pet ???

And Jerry, maybe some foam pipe insulation or that fiberglass pipe wrap if you wana keep the bulk down.  Nice job on the engine, must feel good to have 'er this far along!
Can I have a motorcycle when I get old enough?
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Lot’s of things. You’ve been watching me.
Will you show me all of them?
Sure.
Is it hard?
Not if you have the right attitudes. It’s having the right attitudes that’s hard.

Offline ADW

• Enthusiast
« Reply #9591 on: March 18, 2012, 04:08:45 pm »
Rode 'er 155 miles today, lovely day for a Michigan "winter"! My first real test ride since buying it last fall and doing the go-through this winter to make sure everything's good to go. Fun bike!

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9592 on: March 18, 2012, 05:14:58 pm »

???  2.5

HA, oopps meant 2.5 hours.
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.

72500john

« Reply #9593 on: March 18, 2012, 05:19:54 pm »
pulled off the old exhaust, dropped the oil pan and cleaned the pickup screen. gave the engine and bike a well deserved bath. will put the pan back on tomorrow and a new motad 4 into 1 exhaust. then go ride!

Offline BeSeeingYou

• Old Timer
« Reply #9594 on: March 18, 2012, 06:04:31 pm »
Changed the fork oil, crankcase oil & filter, pulled the battery box to clean and paint (fuzzy battery goo) ;D, lubed and adjusted the chain, mounted the tank and put some gas in, battery box and battery back in, waxed her up and she fired right up.  Check, check, and check. License tabs.....D-oh! ;D
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 06:06:08 pm by srust58 »

Offline Really?

• I've come to the conclusion that I AM a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9595 on: March 18, 2012, 09:37:56 pm »
I took the twins for a ride, one at a time, on Brownie.

I see my brother finished his first ever build today.  It's a '65 Allstate scooter.  Damn nice job I think.  I wanted to show it off.

From

To
I don't have a motorcycle, sold it ('85 Yamaha Venture Royale).  Haven't had a CB750 for over 40 years.

The Wife's Bike - 750K5
The Kid's Bike - 750K3

Offline heffay

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9596 on: March 18, 2012, 09:47:14 pm »
Giga, tell the bro that thing is a beaut!
Today: '73 cb350f, '96 Ducati 900 Supersport
Past Rides: '72 tc125, '94 cbr600f2, '76 rd400, '89 ex500, '93 KTM-125exc, '92 zx7r, '93 Banshee, '83 ATC250R, 77/75 cb400f

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9597 on: March 19, 2012, 12:20:11 am »
I took the twins for a ride, one at a time, on Brownie.

I see my brother finished his first ever build today.  It's a '65 Allstate scooter.  Damn nice job I think.  I wanted to show it off.

From

To

That's a lovely scooter Rick, but when you said you took the twins for a ride on Brownie, I started to wonder what you were smoking? Ha ha, it's OK mate, I eventually worked it out. ;D

Offline thrutheframe

• Expert
  • did you bleed when you built that?
« Reply #9598 on: March 19, 2012, 06:08:26 am »
(plus it's good for my kids to see Dad keep chugging even when he gets his hat handed to him)!

This is what bike building is all about.  Character Building

Sorry to see your beautiful bike blew up, its a sweet machine.
'74 cb 750 K4
'79 CB 650 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=83981.0
'75 CB 360T
'90 RC31 Hawk GT

maduncle

« Reply #9599 on: March 19, 2012, 02:00:43 pm »
Love that scooter Rick, now my wife wants one like it to put outside our shop.

Meanwhile - I polished the rear hub, installed new bearings and brakes and under coated the edges ready for black gloss, then I began trying to pull apart a set of 35mm Betor forks - ???