Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today ?  (Read 3150204 times)

Offline IndyFour

• Hot Shot
Re: What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #9825 on: April 06, 2012, 11:56:51 am »
Success!!! I defeated the damn ring clip in my frozen MC. I had a solid game plan this time.  It had been soaking in penetrant, and I snagged a pick set from HD for about ten bucks.  Once I realized you could pull just one eye out, and didn't actually have to compress the ring, it was pretty simple.  Three days in PB blaster didn't hurt either.  As soon as my caliper o-ring comes, I'll reassemble and finally have a functioning front brake!
Does the MC kit come w/ a new circlip? or were you able to "save" the old one ?

The kit I used came with a new one.  I would assume they all do, but don't know that for sure.
1974 CB550K
2000 VFR800FIY

Offline OneWheelDrive

• A journey of 1000 miles starts with your first carb overhaul.
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #9826 on: April 06, 2012, 12:10:44 pm »
Success!!! I defeated the damn ring clip in my frozen MC. I had a solid game plan this time.  It had been soaking in penetrant, and I snagged a pick set from HD for about ten bucks.  Once I realized you could pull just one eye out, and didn't actually have to compress the ring, it was pretty simple.  Three days in PB blaster didn't hurt either.  As soon as my caliper o-ring comes, I'll reassemble and finally have a functioning front brake!
Does the MC kit come w/ a new circlip? or were you able to "save" the old one ?

New kit did come with a new clip, but surprisingly I didn't mangle the old one beyond use.  I ended up using a deep socket to evenly push the new clip into place.
1975 CB550 cafe
1971 CB500 stocker
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S *sold*
1973 CB350F *sold*
1975 CB550K Project "Keeper" *sold*
2010 Ducati Monster S4RS *sold*
1976 CB360T *sold*
1974 CB550K *sold*
1973 CB750K *sold*
1978 CB550K *sold*
2007 Vespa LX150 *sold*

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #9827 on: April 06, 2012, 05:38:34 pm »
Well I'm really enjoying my Easter long weekend, Christianity rocks! (apologies to all the other religions, but if I don't get a day off work, you suck!)

Anyway, I've got Tom's CB750 here, to fix the leaking countershaft seal. The first obstacle was the fact that the whole bike has been re-wired, so there are no quick disconnect plugs, just my trusty pair of wire cutters.

Everything else came off pretty easily, so it wasn't long before I had the engine out.

The engine has had a recent 836cc Wiseco kit installation and top end rebuild, and had no other leaks worth mentioning, so rather than mess up all that good work I decided to go in from underneath. I managed to wreck 2 screws and bust one stud in the process, but Jesus was smiling down at me from his cross, and I managed to get them all out without too much trouble.

I went thru my boxes and tubs and found a new seal kit and a new stud.

I cleaned both cases up, and applied some Threebond 1194, and let it set up for a little while before I put the cases together.

About that time the battery went flat on my camera, but by then I'd had enough fun wrenching for the day and went inside for a couple of hot cross buns. Happy Easter! Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline hymodyne

• Expert
« Reply #9828 on: April 06, 2012, 06:40:47 pm »
filly replaced the fuel petcock on my tank.
Hym
"All things are ready if our minds be so."

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9829 on: April 06, 2012, 08:03:36 pm »
LOng day in the bike world... Well technically short.... I had to push it up my big ass hill. The clutch was super sticky and would not go into first. I thought it was a trashed gear.... Then I saw my clutch cable was extremely long. Longer then it should. Then I noticed it melted to my header. I had to hold the clutch in to get it up my hill. I wasn't even able to take a break as it doesn't have a center stand. I got it up to my garage and let it sit. My dad came over helped me install 6 lights into the garage to work on my toys. He decided he wanted to check out the clutch. He thought it was stuck. He was able to go through all the gears and neutral was found again. Tomorrow I pick up my new throttle cables and clutch cable. HondaMans book is on schedule for delivery on Monday as well as my carb boots
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.

Offline 750K

• Expert
« Reply #9830 on: April 06, 2012, 08:43:56 pm »
Re-checked the valves, adjusted the cam chain, sync'd the carbs and played with the air mixture screw on two carbs. Bike was purring when I went around the block, carbs were way out of sync. Much better now, idles nice and smooth with no hesitation when opening the throttle.
77 Cb750, 78 Kz1000

Offline Bailgang

• Scott
  • Old Timer
  • Indiana
« Reply #9831 on: April 07, 2012, 06:06:53 am »
I'm hoping to get the tank and side covers for my kids 750 k3 from the paint shop either today or first of next week. The shop has had them for a month now and my kid has become very annoyed by the wait so I stopped by yesterday to see what the progress was. All is painted it just needs to be rubbed out and polished.
Scott

71 cb350 twin
77 cb750 F2
83 gl1100 Interstate

Offline thrutheframe

• Expert
  • did you bleed when you built that?
« Reply #9832 on: April 07, 2012, 08:22:19 am »
I rode my 79 CB650.  Rode it yesterday, the day before and the day before.  I still have alot of work to do before it's finally done but for now I'm enjoying rolling around and making that growling sound.
'74 cb 750 K4
'79 CB 650 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=83981.0
'75 CB 360T
'90 RC31 Hawk GT

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #9833 on: April 07, 2012, 01:59:31 pm »
I failed the slalom at DMV skill test >:(

Gotta learn that trick before I try again.

Offline famoussas1

• Enthusiast
« Reply #9834 on: April 07, 2012, 05:20:25 pm »
Today I put about 70 miles on my 550. Great mid 60s weather in Indiana/Illinois.  Burning up roads and oil...haha, my rings are getting worse I think, hope it makes it through the season though then Ill give her some TLC.

Offline CB500_k2

• Hot Shot
  • Wrenching makes a good retirement.
« Reply #9835 on: April 07, 2012, 06:09:03 pm »
Well, I sold my CB350.  It was a little sad to see my little baby go.  I have limited garage space and someone had to go.  fortunately, the buyer appears to be a good rider who will treat her well.
Too many bikes -- too little time
1973 CB500
1974 CB350 - sold
1975 CB400F SuperSport
2000 Ducati Monster Dark

Offline nteek754

• Hot Shot
  • 1973 K3/750/836/70 1970 750 chopper 1973 cafe
« Reply #9836 on: April 07, 2012, 08:37:04 pm »
worked on my 1970 750 chopper I built  in 04 took it out two years ago the day after I retrieved from the wiring man headed out that next morning an old man pulled out in front of me just time enough to yell  NO! well a broken pelvis, and an operation  and month in the hospital  now I've got it 95 percent back together. Oh forgot to mention last August I got in another wreck and got head injury wow I would trade three broken pelvic for one  head injury.And up here in Maine no helmet law but YES I will be wearining from now on. and it"too freaking cold for riding up here, but gona be ready to all a good night Craig in Maine
seven fifty four ever its not the destination its the journey Ive been collecting these old dinasours for 33 years . they are quite an ICON

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9837 on: April 07, 2012, 09:01:19 pm »
Geez Craig, busted pelvis, head injury? Good to see that you haven't given bikes away mate, strap that helmet on tight and enjoy your riding! Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline thrutheframe

• Expert
  • did you bleed when you built that?
What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #9838 on: April 07, 2012, 10:13:50 pm »
Painted the muffler from my MAC
4-1 on my 650.  I was pretty disappointed by the quality of the finish.  A drop of hot oil on a hot pipe ate the finish right off.  I couldn't just keep riding and not wrenching.  I'll have it back on the
'74 cb 750 K4
'79 CB 650 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=83981.0
'75 CB 360T
'90 RC31 Hawk GT

Offline piute

• Piute
  • TRICK OR TREAT...B....es
« Reply #9839 on: April 08, 2012, 09:54:36 am »

O.K. plan to change the rear gear 43T so I can lower my r.p.m.s,But thought best check front and be sure stk.o.k.14T,"O" bike is A 1977 750 f2,Notice that dang Lil thing has A slite wabble if you push on the teeth,but not like it's loose on the shaft(NOT loose pushing towards / away from shaft) IS THIS the norm.or need new bike has 9,800 mile,origanal front tire(trashed of course)
   Either this guy pop lots of wheeeelleeeees ,maybe jambed lots of gears in burn-out pit.....then again is this just the way they were new.????????????????? TANK ...Piute...
Ride to live Live for Jesus
1977 750 F2

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #9840 on: April 08, 2012, 10:12:08 am »
Front sprockets usually have a little "float" built in to their mounting. If its a 77, should be a 630 size chain which uses fewer teeth than the 530 earlier bikes to achieve the same ratio. Check a fish but i think 14 was stock.

I checked, 14 is stock. Probably no burnouts, just neglect.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 10:22:02 am by MCRider »
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline brah pitt

« Reply #9841 on: April 08, 2012, 10:16:34 am »
Installing a yosh pipe i picked a few weeks ago. Probably going to put all the tools back where they belong.... nothing worse than spending time looking for tools.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9842 on: April 08, 2012, 02:10:26 pm »

O.K. plan to change the rear gear 43T so I can lower my r.p.m.s,But thought best check front and be sure stk.o.k.14T,"O" bike is A 1977 750 f2,Notice that dang Lil thing has A slite wabble if you push on the teeth,but not like it's loose on the shaft(NOT loose pushing towards / away from shaft) IS THIS the norm.or need new bike has 9,800 mile,origanal front tire(trashed of course)
   Either this guy pop lots of wheeeelleeeees ,maybe jambed lots of gears in burn-out pit.....then again is this just the way they were new.????????????????? TANK ...Piute...

Like Ron Said mate, a bit of slop between the splines on your sprocket shaft and the sprocket is normal, and with under 10 thousand miles on the odo, it'll be fine. There was a problem with the hardening of the shafts on the very first F2's and they did wear excessively, but that only showed up on high mileage bikes.

Where do you guys keep finding such low mileage bikes? I'm constantly amazed by this, I guess it's got a lot to do with your short riding seasons, over here you wouldn't find one with less than 50,000 miles under it's tires!Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #9843 on: April 08, 2012, 04:11:47 pm »
I have all my front end parts for my 750 and decided to do it all today Since tomorrow is my first day of work. Came across dry to the bone forks.

Got the front end off, installed new tapered steering bearings, new fork seals, new push and pull throttle cables, new clutch, had to remove the rust on the clips, installed new superbike bars, and new grips. Didnt have enough fork fluid.  I will have to get some tomorrow. Hopefully take her out for a quick spin when completed.

Quick ?  Can the forks and springs be damaged if driven empty? I have no idea how long they were dry but I know the old fork seals were shrunken enough to fall out.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 05:33:50 pm by Tews19 »
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.

Offline CycleRanger

• No comment about being an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas Shop Manual Advocate
« Reply #9844 on: April 08, 2012, 04:22:58 pm »
I got my parts in late Friday. Spent yesterday putting the engine back in.
Finished it up this morning. Took it for a ~50 mile ride.
Of course it seems to idle a little rougher than before I took it apart.
Need to recheck the boots for leaks.
It's good to have working back brakes again and no oil leaking from the valve cover! (Or any where else..)
Sorry I missed GZ's central Texas visit. :(
Do you have a copy of the Honda Shop Manual or Parts List for your bike? Get one here:
https://www.honda4fun.com/materiale/documentazione-tecnica
CB750K5        '79 XL250s     CL350K3
CB750K3        '76 XS650      '76 CJ360T

Offline Brown Bomber

• Don't mess with me cause I'm a SOHC/4
  • Expert
« Reply #9845 on: April 08, 2012, 04:29:38 pm »

Quick ?  Can the forks and springs be damaged if driven empty? I have no idea how long they were dry but I know the old fork seals were shrunken enough to fall out.

The springs will likely be OK, but you may have excessive wear on the fork tube, slider, and damper valve. Hopefully you found it in time.
Keep the Shiny side up!

1987 ZG1000 "King Crimson"
1972 CB750K2 "Stout"
1976 CB500T "Witch's Promise"
1973 CL450K5 Cafe Project
I'd rather go homeless than chromeless

People get maddest when I've told the truth.

Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.......
                                                                          Vito Corleone

Offline Brown Bomber

• Don't mess with me cause I'm a SOHC/4
  • Expert
« Reply #9846 on: April 08, 2012, 04:40:02 pm »
Where do you guys keep finding such low mileage bikes? I'm constantly amazed by this, I guess it's got a lot to do with your short riding seasons, over here you wouldn't find one with less than 50,000 miles under it's tires!Cheers, Terry. ;D
Motorcycles are still considered a recreational vehicle over here. Not used for general transportation nearly as much as other parts of the world. As our economy continues to slip, we see more and more bikes on the road.
Keep the Shiny side up!

1987 ZG1000 "King Crimson"
1972 CB750K2 "Stout"
1976 CB500T "Witch's Promise"
1973 CL450K5 Cafe Project
I'd rather go homeless than chromeless

People get maddest when I've told the truth.

Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.......
                                                                          Vito Corleone

Offline Accolay

• Hot Shot
« Reply #9847 on: April 08, 2012, 04:54:54 pm »
Where do you guys keep finding such low mileage bikes? I'm constantly amazed by this, I guess it's got a lot to do with your short riding seasons, over here you wouldn't find one with less than 50,000 miles under it's tires!Cheers, Terry.

What Brown Bomber said, and also, when you come from the land of ice and snow you can only ride them for 6 maybe 7 months out of the year. People forget to winterize, they don't start in the spring, and they forget about them for 20 years.

I rode mine around Mpls about 30 miles today. Chilly but good ride.
1977 CB550F

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #9848 on: April 08, 2012, 11:32:26 pm »
Last Sunday started out with this (well actually with beer and CB650 aka Terry)

and this (after installing the chrome valve cover, shifter linkage and clutch)

And turned into this

With the most excellent assistance of CB650 aka Terry

The story goes something like this - Beers and bike! We lifted the engine off the work bench and down to the garage floor then installed the frame. Along the way we installed bronze bushings in the swingarm, installed the swingarm, center stand, forks, one shock, tapered steering head bearings and did some serious damage on a 30 pack. Good day, good friends, beer. What more could we ask for?!   
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #9849 on: April 08, 2012, 11:42:18 pm »
After last Sunday it was time to back up and regroup then decide what to do next. I was able to put some time into it and managed to accomplish a little more.

We had already installed the tapered steering head bearings

I worked on completing the new footpeg sets from parts. I was only able to find a NOS complete right front.

I took my new wheels to the dealer to have the tires mounted and order some more small bits and pieces

I had a helluva time figuring out the install of the NOS gauges and headlight mounts. NOS ignition switch lock set too.

I went ahead and installed the new bars

And it ended up looking like this by Wednesday then I had to head off for work

« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 11:44:12 pm by Jerry Rxman Griffin »
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)