Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today ?  (Read 3150163 times)

Offline JBS

Re: What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #9875 on: April 10, 2012, 08:13:30 am »
here it is...

Offline motocyconomad

• Expert
« Reply #9876 on: April 10, 2012, 09:00:59 am »
I bought me a hondaman ignition kit and them coil resistors he sells.

Offline Really?

• I've come to the conclusion that I AM a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9877 on: April 10, 2012, 09:15:12 am »
I guess Joe helped you make up your mind this last weekend.
I don't have a motorcycle, sold it ('85 Yamaha Venture Royale).  Haven't had a CB750 for over 40 years.

The Wife's Bike - 750K5
The Kid's Bike - 750K3

Offline john_matrix

« Reply #9878 on: April 10, 2012, 09:32:34 am »
I put on some cheesy Ebay dice license plate hardware.

1977 CB 750K

Offline motocyconomad

• Expert
« Reply #9879 on: April 10, 2012, 10:32:42 am »
I guess Joe helped you make up your mind this last weekend.
totally, I am on the 3rd Dyna in like 7 months.

Offline CycleRanger

• No comment about being an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas Shop Manual Advocate
« Reply #9880 on: April 10, 2012, 10:51:55 am »

OMG! I can so read your license plate!  :o   Quick, blur it!   ::)
Do you have a copy of the Honda Shop Manual or Parts List for your bike? Get one here:
https://www.honda4fun.com/materiale/documentazione-tecnica
CB750K5        '79 XL250s     CL350K3
CB750K3        '76 XS650      '76 CJ360T

Offline curemode2002

• Hot Shot
« Reply #9881 on: April 10, 2012, 11:04:01 am »
Finally got my jet size dialed in my last plug chop was perfect. Now for that last pesky oil leak! :o
Bikes:
1980 CB650 Sold
2015 Monster 821 Stripe

Offline WhyNot2

• I'm finally an
  • Master
« Reply #9882 on: April 10, 2012, 06:49:03 pm »
Man oh man................these freakin carbs are finicky...................geez.

Adjusted, then adjusted some more. It only sat for about 4 days, and #3 pipe would not git hot, spit and sputter.

Dropped the bowl, the float and float needle (not a fun task while still on bike), pulled the idle jet, blew some air though the system. Put all back together again.

Took a 40 mile road trip, seems to be ok. Get a slight pop occasionally. All in all, satisfied.
If it ain't raining, I'm riding.....~~{iii}?~~prost

If it sounds like I know what I'm talking about, it's because I cut and pasted from someone else.

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #9883 on: April 10, 2012, 07:52:24 pm »

OMG! I can so read your license plate!  :o   Quick, blur it!   ::)

Like this ???

Offline CycleRanger

• No comment about being an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas Shop Manual Advocate
« Reply #9884 on: April 10, 2012, 08:05:57 pm »
Yahtzee!  ;D
Do you have a copy of the Honda Shop Manual or Parts List for your bike? Get one here:
https://www.honda4fun.com/materiale/documentazione-tecnica
CB750K5        '79 XL250s     CL350K3
CB750K3        '76 XS650      '76 CJ360T

Offline iya0yas

« Reply #9885 on: April 10, 2012, 10:22:39 pm »
NOS Exhaust System...yes, expensive but I feel much better now.   Ahhhhhhh...what a great feeling...! Next project is the vintage Starleto seat cover then she'll be ready to ride with pride... :o

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #9886 on: April 11, 2012, 03:00:03 am »
Put a tarp on it.

They reconnected nerve in my pinky and my throttle hand is out of commission for two weeks:(

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #9887 on: April 11, 2012, 05:14:07 am »
Did she want to run or the pack just would not turn her  over?

Nah, it wouldn't turn the engine over mate. I charged up the battery from my CB750 (which is about a third the size of the BMW battery) and my jump start pack and took them over to Tom's place tonight. Once we'd connected it up and hit the button it immediately fired into life, which was fantastic, considering that it hadn't run in 2.5 years. I rode it home about 7pm, it was dark, but a great evening, and I really enjoyed the 10 mile ride home. There are a few little problems that need to be ironed out, but all in all, it's gonna be a great long range tourer. Cheers, Terry. ;D   
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

maduncle

« Reply #9888 on: April 11, 2012, 05:37:03 am »

You didn't come past my place did you Terry?

There was a bike making a godawful racket that went by earlier this evening!

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9889 on: April 11, 2012, 05:41:21 am »

You didn't come past my place did you Terry?

There was a bike making a godawful racket that went by earlier this evening!

No mate, the engine is really quiet, I came straight up St Georges Road and had a really good run. Tom's a nice bloke, we're going to organise a ride soon, wanna come? Cheers, Terry. :D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

maduncle

« Reply #9890 on: April 11, 2012, 05:46:35 am »

Absolutely - count me in!

As for what I did on my bike today, well - I got some parts, sold some parts, searched for some parts, you know - the usual thing you do when building an old bike.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9891 on: April 11, 2012, 05:55:41 am »
Okey Dokey, it won't be for a couple of weeks, he's working this weekend and I'm working the following weekend, maybe an ANZAC Day ride? Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #9892 on: April 11, 2012, 08:42:37 am »
After installing the tool tray and the battery box it was time to start on the powder coated oil tank. I gathered up my 3 NOS rubber cushions, bolts, washers and dipstick. I got my penlight flashlight out and took a look inside thinking of Theofam's issues. After all, one should always follow up on another's work, especially after a powder coater does blasting before coating. Didn't look good.

This is what I extracted with my parts washer.

Once it was all flushed out and clean I installed the new rubber cushions and new drain plug bolt and washer

I then installed it. Yeah, that's a NOS tool kit I built from scratch. All the individual pieces were available and cheap too!

Today I go pick up the new wheels I had tires installed on and more new hardware bits and pieces for last weekends adventures. Gotta finish the clutch cover modification. Also want to install the kick stand. Maybe the new braided oil line, the inner rear fender stuff and the Corbin seat too.   
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 08:47:12 am by Jerry Rxman Griffin »
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #9893 on: April 11, 2012, 09:07:32 am »
Jerry, in my mind and my experience, the powder coater goofed. He should have masked off the openings, and nothing should have gone inside. Maybe he blasted first, then masked, then powder? I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt, just a brain fart,  but mine came back clean as a whistle on the inside, with no media or powder either as with gold I would have seen it. And I did look.

We rinsed it with solvent like you did, dried it with a hair dryer, the blew it out with air. Nothing.

As a courtesy to him I'd talk to him. Maybe one of his employees did it and he should know about it. Never blast in an oil tank unles that's what the customer asked for.

All you got out was media? No powder coating inside?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 09:12:59 am by MCRider »
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #9894 on: April 11, 2012, 09:13:52 am »
No coating inside. Also notice the threads. Perhaps just taped the threads and didn't cork it up. Who knows!! The inside threads were protected too as I had to chase/pick at the top thread or two. Maybe got in from the slip fitting on the bottom? Yeah, he goofed but I would have goofed much worse to the tune of $7,000 had I assumed it was clean. Could've ruined a very expensive engine in a few seconds.   
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
« Reply #9895 on: April 11, 2012, 10:49:33 am »
Sloppy blaster leaving all those brushes and a cotton bud in there.!  ;D

Anyhoo, polished my front disc/rotor holder thing.

'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Draw and drawer. Could care less/couldn't care less. Bought/brought FFS.

Les Ross.            Certified by a Professional

Offline strynboen

• Old Timer
    • http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=jsfbv106fulg58f739sq1ioko7&/topic,60973.0.html
« Reply #9896 on: April 11, 2012, 11:22:21 am »
put my bagage rack on....
i kan not speak english/but trying!!
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60973.0
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=144758.0
i hate all this v-w.... vords

Offline Roach Carver

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9897 on: April 11, 2012, 01:52:03 pm »
Did she want to run or the pack just would not turn her  over?

Nah, it wouldn't turn the engine over mate. I charged up the battery from my CB750 (which is about a third the size of the BMW battery) and my jump start pack and took them over to Tom's place tonight. Once we'd connected it up and hit the button it immediately fired into life, which was fantastic, considering that it hadn't run in 2.5 years. I rode it home about 7pm, it was dark, but a great evening, and I really enjoyed the 10 mile ride home. There are a few little problems that need to be ironed out, but all in all, it's gonna be a great long range tourer. Cheers, Terry. ;D   
A while back we had a guy selling lithium battery packs on here. He recomended one pack for cbs and larger bikes 2. I bought two and it struggled to turn over my r100. one pack wizzes my cb right over. They can be a bit tough to start but they sure do run nice. I havent ridden as many different bikes as you im sure but riding my airhead is a totally different experience. almost relaxing.

Offline theofam

• I'm cold, give me a
  • Hot Shot
  • Suffering from MDD - Mechanical Deficit Disorder
« Reply #9898 on: April 11, 2012, 03:31:39 pm »
Jerry, glad to see my oversight helped with your oil tank!  I'm surprised how much junk was in there!!  I'll make sure to check Paddy's oil tank out, too, before re-reassembly.

Offline Bailgang

• Scott
  • Old Timer
  • Indiana
« Reply #9899 on: April 11, 2012, 05:28:26 pm »
I took it for a spin, got about 3/4 of a mile down the road running just great and then she died. Found I had a blown main fuse so I swapped 1 of the others in and only fired on maybe 2 cyls and made it about 20 feet and blew that fuse then had to push it back the rest of the way. Don't know what's up yet but it'll have to wait till tomorrow. Thank goodness the 550 isn't that hard to push because I'm beat right now. :(
Scott

71 cb350 twin
77 cb750 F2
83 gl1100 Interstate