Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today ?  (Read 3150171 times)

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
Re: What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #9900 on: April 11, 2012, 08:05:02 pm »
Sloppy blaster leaving all those brushes and a cotton bud in there.!  ;D

Anyhoo, polished my front disc/rotor holder thing.

Those "spokes" on you're disc carrier look nice all shined up Lester.
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline Old75_ratafe

• CB750 Cave Spelunking
  • Expert
  • 1975 CB750K
« Reply #9901 on: April 11, 2012, 08:43:39 pm »
Went out to the garage to get something, looked at her in pieces, sighed and wished it was warmer out so I could start putting her back together.
1975 CB750K
Project Back in Black

Sent from my Texas Instruments TI99/4A Computer

maduncle

« Reply #9902 on: April 11, 2012, 09:11:53 pm »
Went out to the garage to get something, looked at her in pieces, sighed and wished it was warmer out so I could start putting her back together.

Why not get warm by putting her back together???

Over here - it just gets to damn hot to be in the shed (which becomes an oven) to work...

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #9903 on: April 11, 2012, 10:51:10 pm »
Never as much as you hope for  ::)

Played around some and organized some. Decided to begin on my rear inner fender after doing the oil tank yesterday. I cleaned up my rear inner fender and stash box (for lack of a better term). These are 2 of the few pieces I could NOT find NOS! Pisses me off  >:( I replaced the wire cord grommets too with new. I did a dry run and decided that I needed to replace the originals with some new bolts, washers, etc so I got my list together and headed to my Honda shop. Put on my NOS seat lock too. I got a great deal on a leftover 102 link Tsubaki Sigma chain from a Harley shop so I ordered new sprockets today too.

On the way I dropped off a stainless engine mount at the machine shop to shorten and re-thread. (Don't buy from Inox in England! - way too many issues with his so called "kits". Nice products but #$%*ty execution and end result. He thinks a threaded rod is a bolt) I had some bits and pieces to pick up from my orders last week and put in for some more. While there I also picked up my new wheels with new tires mounted and balanced.

Considering I have the last 4 or so efforts unfinished awaiting some new Honda parts I kinda backed off and regrouped a little. Took an assessment of where I'm at and made that infamous never ending list. Much to do but stay organized! While I was playing er organizing I started piling up take-offs for my other project - Son of 750F0.

I got more parts for this than I do for my restore. Nothing like leftovers. They are already paid for!  :)

« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 10:58:58 pm by Jerry Rxman Griffin »
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #9904 on: April 12, 2012, 04:13:34 am »
Very nice Jerry, I like those new Bridgestone "Griffin" tires mate, where can I get some? ;D

Well the weather is still nice here, so I left work early today and went home to play with my "new" 1980 BMW R100RS. I rode it home last night in the dark, and that's a good thing, because it had a thick layer of dust over it after sitting in Tom's garage, unused, for the last few years.

I bought some "Wash and Wax" carwash stuff on the way home, and gave it a bath. It really needs a degreasing because the engine is a tad grotty, but all in all, it came up nice.

Roach, you're right about the "relaxed" sensation when you ride one of these big twins, they've a nice torquey engine and are geared quite high, so you just lope along. The weakness is the alternator output, my voltmeter was reading barely 12 volts on the way home last night with the lights on, but will happily sit on 13(+) volts with the lights off. I'm thinking about a big AGM battery, but with my last R100RS I used my CB750 battery again, with a cheap trickle charger permanently attached, filling the space where the bigger battery was, and I just left it plugged in when not in use. Cheers, Terry. ;D

Brand spanking new Ikon shocks, woohoo!

No time to mow lawns when there's bikes to play with!

And yeah, it (just) fits in my garage!

I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Brown Bomber

• Don't mess with me cause I'm a SOHC/4
  • Expert
« Reply #9905 on: April 12, 2012, 03:30:56 pm »
That's beautiful Terry!
Keep the Shiny side up!

1987 ZG1000 "King Crimson"
1972 CB750K2 "Stout"
1976 CB500T "Witch's Promise"
1973 CL450K5 Cafe Project
I'd rather go homeless than chromeless

People get maddest when I've told the truth.

Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.......
                                                                          Vito Corleone

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #9906 on: April 12, 2012, 04:26:52 pm »
That's beautiful Terry!
Really! That's a classic! That can be ridden. Have fun.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline Roach Carver

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9907 on: April 12, 2012, 04:55:45 pm »
I remember the big bike liquidation. Are you at max capacity again?

Offline kpier883

• is quite the
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #9908 on: April 12, 2012, 07:12:53 pm »
put my bagage rack on....
Did you purchase that rack or make it?  I like it!
74 CB750
80 CBX
82 KZ1000 K2 (LTD)
57 1/2 ton chevy

Offline Radam

• taco racer
  • Master
« Reply #9909 on: April 12, 2012, 07:36:52 pm »
Hey Terry, I can help you make some room in that shop. ;)

Offline Hablo

« Reply #9910 on: April 12, 2012, 08:21:39 pm »
Turned my air screws in so that now they are at 7/8 turns out.
'73 CB350F

Offline Spanner 1

• Old Timer
  • CB 750 K0 ( always thought it was a K1!) + CB750K8
« Reply #9911 on: April 12, 2012, 09:21:35 pm »
Turned my 'airscrews' out, so now their 2 turns out  from in.... :D
Spent some time further adjusting K8 carbs for better mixture.... think I have found the sweet spot.....
Results for stock airbox/filter and 4-into-1 with baffled Kerker;  Mains 120 ( stock=110 ); slows 38 ( stock ); IMS at 2 turns out ( stock =1 and 1/2 turns ).  :)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 09:25:53 pm by Spanner 1 »
If your sure it's a carb problem; it's ignition,
If your sure it's an ignition problem; it's carbs....

Offline Shane72

• Enthusiast
« Reply #9912 on: April 12, 2012, 09:32:03 pm »
Got the new/old tank stripped.

Rebuilt the gas cap and petcock.  One interesting lesson learned today was that a cracked brass fuel straw can be patched with a length of tight-fitting fuel line trimmed to fit both for length and width.

Maybe that's why my reserve mileage has been so dismal...?

Shane
I mount and balance MC tires--while-you-wait service by appointment.  Send me a PM.

Offline Free Booter

• My Build: CB750k5
  • Hot Shot
  • Meh.
« Reply #9913 on: April 12, 2012, 10:19:07 pm »
I drilled the crap out of my frame at the swing arm pivot to fit a thicker rod and longer swing arm .

Offline Old75_ratafe

• CB750 Cave Spelunking
  • Expert
  • 1975 CB750K
« Reply #9914 on: April 12, 2012, 10:57:07 pm »
Hey Terry have you thought about switching the stock bulbs to LED's to gain some of the voltage back?
1975 CB750K
Project Back in Black

Sent from my Texas Instruments TI99/4A Computer

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #9915 on: April 12, 2012, 11:53:31 pm »
Nice addition Terry. One of these days I'll have a nice Beemer for the road too! The GRIFFIN Spitfire is a one-off Bridgestone run to commemorate the final run of the white letter tires. I was trying to figure out how to get the factory blue off the white letters when I saw my personalized new tire. Guess they couldn't tag it like they did the wheels.   

Upon seeing the personalized rear tire I decided to get my parts together and do a dry run of putting it together. Sprocket ordered, sprocket cover is nasty and needs to go to the plater. I'm hoping I have the dampers positioned correctly. Swiss chessed brake disc with 120 holes.

Mocked up the front wheel too but had to order the o-ring for the speedo drive assembly.

Modified my early style clutch cover for the later style clutch I installed. The 2nd picture is the later style. Too bad I had the old one powder coated  ::)

I then turned my attention to the shocks and the NOS foot pegs I built. The powder coater inadvertantly coated the top pivot mount post for the shocks with a black coat and a clear coat so I had to scrape and sand that damn thick  ;) powder coat. The Koni shocks needed freshening so I got out my Nev R Dull. Looking great. The new pegs are really sweet too. Up to now most everything I've done has been in mockup mode awaiting final fitment, new bolts, etc but it sure was nice to install the shocks for real.

Tomorrow I take the day off to actually work  ;D 
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 12:00:08 am by Jerry Rxman Griffin »
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline Bailgang

• Scott
  • Old Timer
  • Indiana
« Reply #9916 on: April 13, 2012, 02:57:51 am »
Well my body is finally recuperating from the mile push I had with my 550 a couple of days ago (yesterday at work was miserable) and I have today and the rest of the weekend to try to figure out why my main fuse keeps blowing. I have a bad feeling what ever happened it smoked my dyna s ignition modules, I have about 3 sets of used points so hopefully I can find a useable set out of the 3 to get it running. And also for all you smokers out there that are having a hard time kicking the habit and need more incentive to quit cigarettes I challenge you to push your bike for a mile down a wavy road like I did. I guarantee that after that first 1/4 mile you'll be cursing up and down the day you lit that first cigarette. :)
Scott

71 cb350 twin
77 cb750 F2
83 gl1100 Interstate

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #9917 on: April 13, 2012, 03:14:31 am »
Nice addition Terry. One of these days I'll have a nice Beemer for the road too! The GRIFFIN Spitfire is a one-off Bridgestone run to commemorate the final run of the white letter tires. I was trying to figure out how to get the factory blue off the white letters when I saw my personalized new tire. Guess they couldn't tag it like they did the wheels.   

Upon seeing the personalized rear tire I decided to get my parts together and do a dry run of putting it together. Sprocket ordered, sprocket cover is nasty and needs to go to the plater. I'm hoping I have the dampers positioned correctly. Swiss chessed brake disc with 120 holes.

Hey, Jerry,    how much extra did you have to pay for the presonalized tires?    Bike is starting to look really good...Larry

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #9918 on: April 13, 2012, 05:54:53 am »
That's beautiful Terry!

Really! That's a classic! That can be ridden. Have fun.

I remember the big bike liquidation. Are you at max capacity again?

Hey Terry, I can help you make some room in that shop. ;)

Hey Terry have you thought about switching the stock bulbs to LED's to gain some of the voltage back?

Nice addition Terry. One of these days I'll have a nice Beemer for the road too!

Thanks guys, I had no intention of buying any more bikes, especially after forking out 2200 bucks last month for Triumph repairs, but this one came out of left field, and I've got a real soft spot for BMW's, especially the iconic R100RS. This is my second one, my first, a 1979 model, was hard to love, I spent a lot of money on it and it never felt quite right. By comparison, this one is a really sweet ride, it started right up after sitting for 2.5 years, the engine is smooth and quiet, and apart from the brakes needing some serious attention, (needs 3 new discs and pads, front MC rebuild kit etc) it's in really nice condition.

I don't want to end up with 10 bikes in my garage like I had a couple of years ago, so I'm looking at selling my Suzuki GS1000. To be honest, I'd rather sell the Triumph, but it's a family heirloom, so I'll have to keep it for posterity.......

I hadn't thought about LED's RC, I don't know if they're as readily available here as in the US, but I think the H4 headlight bulb is the main offender, I'm guessing it's 100W at low beam, it's really bright, but overwhelms the alternator output. I might go for a smaller headlight bulb, but add some driving lights for high speed night riding when the alternator is pumping out the volts. I think the later bikes had a much more powerful charging system, so I might also investigate upgrading the system after I get the brakes sorted and get it on the road. Thanks for the compliments guys, nothing (for me, at least) beats the feeling of picking up a new project! Cheers, Terry. ;D

I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline tweakin

• tear down
  • Master
« Reply #9919 on: April 13, 2012, 06:34:10 am »
Looking really good Jerry.   FYI, your cush drive dampers on the rear hub are installed incorrectly.  I don't have any pics to show you, but the big rubber and little rubber part go on opposite sides of each the hubs metal divider (not both inside)  The cush rubber straddles each one of the four dividers in the hub.

Mocked up the front wheel too but had to order the o-ring for the speedo drive assembly.

Modified my early style clutch cover for the later style clutch I installed. The 2nd picture is the later style. Too bad I had the old one powder coated  ::)

I then turned my attention to the shocks and the NOS foot pegs I built. The powder coater inadvertantly coated the top pivot mount post for the shocks with a black coat and a clear coat so I had to scrape and sand that damn thick  ;) powder coat. The Koni shocks needed freshening so I got out my Nev R Dull. Looking great. The new pegs are really sweet too. Up to now most everything I've done has been in mockup mode awaiting final fitment, new bolts, etc but it sure was nice to install the shocks for real.

Tomorrow I take the day off to actually work  ;D 

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #9920 on: April 13, 2012, 07:24:30 am »
Nice catch Tweakin, those rubbers are definitley in wrong. And I'd looked at it already twice myself.

For more guidance, the fat rubber goes in so the sprocket drive plate pushes on the fat rubber on acceleration. The small rubber is the trailing rubber.

PM to Jerry
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 07:30:04 am by MCRider »
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline madmtnmotors

• When did I get to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Sunny Central Florida
« Reply #9921 on: April 13, 2012, 11:24:21 am »
Nice catch Tweakin, those rubbers are definitley in wrong. And I'd looked at it already twice myself.

For more guidance, the fat rubber goes in so the sprocket drive plate pushes on the fat rubber on acceleration. The small rubber is the trailing rubber.

PM to Jerry

Yep, they're reversed.
TAMTF...

Wilbur

Projects:
"Evolution": http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=100352.0
"P.O. Debacle": http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,126692.msg1441661.html#msg1441661
F2/F3 O-rings: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=113672.msg1300721#msg1300721
Cam Tower Studs: https://www.mcmaster.com/#93210a017/=t19sgp
Clean up that nasty harness: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=137351.msg1549191#msg1549191
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,148188.msg1688494.html#msg1688494
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,139544.msg1579364.html#msg1579364

Charging system diagnosis: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=1012.msg8345#msg8345
Get the manuals: http://manuals.sohc4.net/cb750k/
The Dragon: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.msg1571675#msg1571675
Headlight Switch: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=113986.msg1283236#msg1283236
Branden's leak free top end thread: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=107040.0
Engine Lifting Made Easy: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,58210.msg1684742.html#msg1684742
                                      http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,100352.msg1675840.html#msg1675840
Static and Dynamic Timing: http://www.hondachopper.com/garage/carb_info/timing/timing1.html
Airbox Gasket Replacement: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,114485.msg1290000.html#msg1290000
"Café" : http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,84697.msg953814.html#msg953814
PD Carb Choke Linkage: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,100352.msg1669248.html#msg1669248
                                    http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,110931.msg1248354.html#msg1248354
                                    http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,48858.msg515204.html#msg515204
Follow up on your damn posts: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,144305.msg1791605.html#msg1791605
Taiwanese Cam Chain Tensioners:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,155043.msg1774841.html#msg1774841
Gumtwo Seat Cover: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,164440.msg1897366.html#msg1897366
Primary Drive: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,166063.msg1919278.html#msg1919278
Tank Latch: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,165975.msg1919495.html#msg1919495
Shorten your forks: http://vintage-and-classic-honda-s.456789.n3.nabble.com/How-to-shorten-forks-td4042465.html DO NOT CUT THE SPRINGS!
Clutch How To: http://vintage-and-classic-honda-s.456789.n3.nabble.com/How-to-change-and-adjust-a-clutch-SOHC-td4040391.html
Late model K7/K8/F2/F3 front sprocket cover removal: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,178428.msg2072279.html#msg2072279
630 to 530 conversion: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180710.msg2094423.html#msg2094423

Sent from my Tandy TRS-80!

Offline fishslayeryo

• Enthusiast
« Reply #9922 on: April 13, 2012, 11:32:42 am »
Here's how they are suppose to be prior to sprocket hub:

'71 CB750 K1...work in progress:)
Budget Build: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=100525.0

Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.  ~Herbert Hoover

Offline fishslayeryo

• Enthusiast
« Reply #9923 on: April 13, 2012, 11:34:44 am »
BTW...pretty work Jerry, did Scott do your crossdrilling?

Replaced front wheel bearings and lacing up new spokes on the front wheel today, hope it comes out looking like the spokes should :)
'71 CB750 K1...work in progress:)
Budget Build: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=100525.0

Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.  ~Herbert Hoover

Offline fire113

• Expert
« Reply #9924 on: April 13, 2012, 12:19:32 pm »
...got my K1 seat and a set of K0 mirrors but I think that I will give the Giuliari seat a try.
Honda CB750 K0 & K0 & K1 & K1 & K2 & K2 & K6