Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today ?  (Read 3150073 times)

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
Re: What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #9975 on: April 17, 2012, 03:10:28 pm »
Bought some Carrillo rods and my Dyna 2000 turned up in the mail..... ;)
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline tweakin

• tear down
  • Master
« Reply #9976 on: April 17, 2012, 05:06:46 pm »
Bought some Carrillo rods and my Dyna 2000 turned up in the mail..... ;)
Nice..

Offline coke

• Hot Shot
    • Bob and Bob Bikes and Cars and Rides
« Reply #9977 on: April 17, 2012, 05:33:50 pm »
Fitted my replacement rear fender.

Nice
1974 Honda CB350F
1976 Honda CB750F
1977 Honda CB750 F2 SuperSport
2009 H/D VRSCAW VRod
2011 H/D Road Glide Ultra
2007 Kawi 650r Ninja
1999 HD 883 Sportster (bought back from youngest son)
1999 Kawi 1500 Nomad (given to oldest son)

Offline 750K

• Expert
« Reply #9978 on: April 17, 2012, 05:37:30 pm »
I ignored it, didn't even look at it when I was in the garage this morning. She loves it when I do that, haha.
77 Cb750, 78 Kz1000

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
  • Helmets Save Lives. Period.
« Reply #9979 on: April 17, 2012, 06:09:43 pm »
Steering stem bearings, front wheel bearings, 2nd front disc, lots of painting, cleaning and cursing went along too!

Offline turbo_nine

« Reply #9980 on: April 17, 2012, 08:14:07 pm »
Had a shop replace original tires and fork seals with new parts.  Might be imagining things, but the not-broken-in new tires already seem to have more grip than the 37 year old Bridgestones.

Changed the oil from synthetic 10/40 to conventional 20/50.  Only busted one knuckle and shifting has improved noticeably too. 

'75 CB400F

Offline gnarlycharlie4u

• Far from being an
  • Expert
  • two steps forward, two steps back :-/
« Reply #9981 on: April 17, 2012, 08:55:06 pm »
Had a shop replace original tires and fork seals with new parts.  Might be imagining things, but the not-broken-in new tires already seem to have more grip than the 37 year old Bridgestones.

Changed the oil from synthetic 10/40 to conventional 20/50.  Only busted one knuckle and shifting has improved noticeably too. 

motorcycle 20/50? like for Harleys and other twins? let me know how that goes please.
that's a sweet 400-four by the way <3

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #9982 on: April 17, 2012, 08:58:13 pm »
Nice looking 400, Turbo. I doubt you are imagining more grip with the new tires!
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #9983 on: April 17, 2012, 11:40:35 pm »
Completed my oil tank. New powder coat. New rubbers, new drain plug and washer. waiting on dipstick o-ring, tank bolts and washers. Considering I had this tank blasted then coated it was a wise decision to look inside. Just because all the threads were protected doesn't mean the tank was actually sealed from blasting. Good thing I checked. Lots of residue.

Built my NOS front fender

Rear wheel parts ready to go except I need to reposition the dampers

Rear wheel completed awaiting new sprocket

Made my weekly run to the Honda shop for my odds n ends and bits and pieces.

Cleaned up my Dyna 3ohm coils and plug wires

Completed install of rear fender and oil tank. My new hardware pieces arrived today. All new nuts, bolts, washers, collars etc on fender pieces, oil tank, battery box and tool tray

Rust removal the easy way. Soaking in vinegar in a baggie.

Have I shown the center stand install?

At the end of the day it's beginning to look like a bike. All the headlight hardware was replaced with new. The gauges are now complete and I solved that grommet issue on my speedo by using a standard grommet then inserting the wiring grommet into that. Good snug fit. Tightened the turn signals. 150ml of 20w BelRay fork oil in each side. Oh yeah, I switched sides with the forks. Always helps if you put the "R" on the right side and the "L" on the left side plus the drain plugs go in the rear that way too  ;D  No mock up here, it's the real thing  :)

Can't wait to ride. Still have some odds and ends on order for next week: o-ring for front wheel, front fender bolts and collars, plus a couple other small pieces then the wheels go on (if I can get it on the lift). May play with brakes, horn, junction box, controls, etc tomorrow. I'll have to take a few days off after that for work  :'(

« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 12:22:42 am by Jerry Rxman Griffin »
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #9984 on: April 18, 2012, 03:03:53 am »
Looking good Jerry, who's the old guy with the hat, your Dad? ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline turbo_nine

« Reply #9985 on: April 18, 2012, 08:01:35 am »
motorcycle 20/50? like for Harleys and other twins? let me know how that goes please.

Thanks!  I spent a fair amount of time searching, took a chance buying this kinda sight-unseen... turned out great.

This is the stuff I put in:  http://www.valvoline.com/products/brands/valvoline/motorcycle-atv-oil/13

Advance Auto carried it for a reasonable price.  Shifting is much better than with the Mobil 1 10W-40 that was in there.

'75 CB400F

Offline WhyNot2

• I'm finally an
  • Master
« Reply #9986 on: April 18, 2012, 10:15:26 am »

Thanks!  I spent a fair amount of time searching, took a chance buying this kinda sight-unseen... turned out great.

This is the stuff I put in:  http://www.valvoline.com/products/brands/valvoline/motorcycle-atv-oil/13

Advance Auto carried it for a reasonable price.  Shifting is much better than with the Mobil 1 10W-40 that was in there.

Exactly the same stuff I just put into mine, last weekend, and shifting improve greatly. Three quarts from Walmart.

If it ain't raining, I'm riding.....~~{iii}?~~prost

If it sounds like I know what I'm talking about, it's because I cut and pasted from someone else.

Offline Grnrngr

• Master
« Reply #9987 on: April 18, 2012, 10:42:11 am »
So....are you saying THAT's the best oil???      ??? ??? ???         8)
'72 CB750-K2 "PopCycle"
'73 CB750-K2 "Barney"
'77 CB750A   
'83 Virago 500 (red)
'83 Virago 500 (black)

"and so on and so on and scoobydoobydooby..oooooooshasha"  Sly Stone

Offline WhyNot2

• I'm finally an
  • Master
« Reply #9988 on: April 18, 2012, 11:37:30 am »
Its a hecka lot better than the crap I had in there originally.............................
If it ain't raining, I'm riding.....~~{iii}?~~prost

If it sounds like I know what I'm talking about, it's because I cut and pasted from someone else.

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
« Reply #9989 on: April 18, 2012, 11:44:07 am »
Stripped and cleaned my front forks after getting inserts where the fender/caliper mounts. The threads were borked.

'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Draw and drawer. Could care less/couldn't care less. Bought/brought FFS.

Les Ross.            Certified by a Professional

Offline Pecantree

• Hot Shot
« Reply #9990 on: April 18, 2012, 08:22:06 pm »
Started striping the front end off.
http://www.harvestclassic.org/

"The suspect had experienced a ballistic interlude earlier in the evening" Miss Pao said, "Regrettably not filmed, and relived himself of excess velocity by means of an ablative technique."         ......    ?    ........         "She say you have road rash."

Offline alacrity

• Expert
  • Ride, Optimize, Repeat
« Reply #9991 on: April 18, 2012, 09:25:58 pm »
Well today is more like... the last couple days...

Nice seat pan/tail arrived from Potvin Cycleworks.

Went after the supreme nastiness of the stock seat and POS aftermarket cover that the P.O. hotglued on. THAT was disgusting and ...fun.

Rebuilt the master cylinder  -- Found a ridiculous amount of sand nestled in behind the o-ring.
I recently restored and sold a 77 cb750f, and am nearly finished with a (former basket case) cb750k5.  This is a place to share, learn and enjoy.  I am grateful to and for 99+% of this site's membership.

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #9992 on: April 19, 2012, 06:04:48 pm »

I think that's YOUR daddy  ;D

Made a little more progress with limited time. Cleaning, sorting, gathering, figuring. You know the routine. Since I'm always waiting on new parts, bits and pieces it seems I'm always leaving a section and moving to another only to go back after my weekly trip to the Honda shop. I bought a "complete bike stainless fastener kit" from Inox and have been seriously battling the "complete" part. Those beautiful stainless engine mount "bolts" turned out to be threaded rods. Too long or too short. This guy really doesn't know! I managed to make the 12mm mount work only after I found a shop that could shorten it and rethread. I'm going out on a limb here to say the "complete bike" part is much less than 50%! So I dug out my old weather worn rusty stock mounts. Thread chased and took them to the polishing wheel. VERY surprised. Came out nice and shiny! Whew  :o I inserted all the mounts (NOS foot pegs included) and tightened them down.  Time to go back to my catalogued boxes in the basement and see what looked installable and did some installs.

Found my starter cover and fit it with new stainless bolts and washers after installing my oil pressure sending unit and new wire

Found my new stainless braided oil lines, NOS kick starter and rubber and the oil pressure wire

There's the new horn and NOS junction box

Got to installing.

Dug out a little wiring while I was at it. NOS main and sub harness ready to go.

Got a call today that the front wheel o-ring is in. Up next is to install the front wheel, brake, and fender. Waiting on rear sprocket then the rear goes o  with new chain and front sprocket. Rear brake after that and when my NOS electrical panel shows up next week I'll add the electricals. It's beginning to look like a bike again!!  ;D

As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline FrankenFrankenstuff

• Master
    • FrankenBike Stuff Store
« Reply #9993 on: April 19, 2012, 07:58:18 pm »
I have been routing and then un-routing wires. I am sure there are pics for reference out there but...it keeps me sane maybe. :o

This thing had a "PA"? 8)

Offline CB500_k2

• Hot Shot
  • Wrenching makes a good retirement.
« Reply #9994 on: April 19, 2012, 08:02:50 pm »
Well, I brought my CB400 if for its annual inspection and the inspector immediately commented on how he remembered my machine from last year.  Both me and my dear machine were flattered.
Too many bikes -- too little time
1973 CB500
1974 CB350 - sold
1975 CB400F SuperSport
2000 Ducati Monster Dark

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
  • Helmets Save Lives. Period.
« Reply #9995 on: April 19, 2012, 08:51:45 pm »
Had a blast on it!

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #9996 on: April 20, 2012, 12:41:59 am »

I think that's YOUR daddy  ;D

Well I hope he remembers me in his will, I really like his Harley! ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Gamma

• Hot Shot
  • Bike Magazine august 1980 page 71. me on my F1
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 09:08:25 am by Gamma »

Online 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #9998 on: April 20, 2012, 09:12:59 am »
I like it. Inspiring actually. Will snitch your pictures and use for referal when i do my frame up.

Offline Gamma

• Hot Shot
  • Bike Magazine august 1980 page 71. me on my F1
« Reply #9999 on: April 20, 2012, 09:28:49 am »
Still wondering if putting the switch down there will make the wiring easier to do