Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today ?  (Read 3149939 times)

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #10100 on: April 27, 2012, 05:16:25 am »
Insurance company finally issued me my surety bond for my 750. It will be sent today and title here next week! K1 is officially road ready, well legally ;D
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.

Offline fire113

• Expert
« Reply #10101 on: April 27, 2012, 07:41:55 am »
...chrome and polish stuff is ready :) still need the fork ears to mount the K0 fork  :P
Honda CB750 K0 & K0 & K1 & K1 & K2 & K2 & K6

Offline Cvalero

• CB550 owner, hackanic on the side
« Reply #10102 on: April 27, 2012, 08:42:09 am »
...chrome and polish stuff is ready :) still need the fork ears to mount the K0 fork  :P
That is some pretty looking hardware.  Did you do the polishing yourself or did you have it done professionally?  I've tried my hand at polishing several times but have never had results even remotely approaching this.
1974 CB550 (project)
1977 CB550

Offline the technological J

• Master
  • deliciouso!
« Reply #10103 on: April 27, 2012, 09:11:32 am »
i ordered some new forks, throttle, tach speedo and clutch cable some fork seals a new clutch, umm, umm, oh yeah and a set of super bike bars from cycle x... now do i want to drop 150 on the sunflake orange or just go with black
oh yeah and a set of thier chrome on black shocks
70 KO...sold to fund the ST http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=88800.0(Alpha)
74 Kaw 250 Enduro http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=124278.0
K4 added to collection! http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=104784.0
78 750K... http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60257.0 (Omega)sold to fund the K4
94 ST1100..Gone
72 750 K2 Stay tuned!

Offline FrankenFrankenstuff

• Master
    • FrankenBike Stuff Store
« Reply #10104 on: April 27, 2012, 09:32:18 am »
(on the ZRX) During the morning commute I pulled to the left to pass 4 cars and.....broke my throttle cable. The wire was dry,rusty and brittle = loser pushing a 500lb bike 600feet up hill. Now my back is sore and I am borrowing my father in laws truck. UG.

not to self and others. LUBRICATE EVERYTHING!!! THESE ARE MACHINES!!!

(first thing to go wrong with this bike since bought off showroom floor in 2001. Even still running the original battery) ****knock on wood****

Offline fire113

• Expert
« Reply #10105 on: April 27, 2012, 03:31:39 pm »
...completed the switches, MC & front break.

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #10106 on: April 27, 2012, 04:59:48 pm »
Beautiful work Georg, that bike is gonna be hard to look at on a sunny day! ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline dhall57

• Old Timer
  • The 70's! SOHC4 Honda's & Marcia Brady of course.
« Reply #10107 on: April 27, 2012, 05:48:21 pm »
Rode the K6 to work. On the way home took a few pics at Hagen Stone Park.
1970 CB750KO
1971 CB500KO-project bike
1973 CB350G- project bike
1974 CB750K4-project bike
1974 CB750K4
1976 CB750K6
1977 GL1000
1997 Harley Wideglide

Offline nccb

• Expert
  • 1974 CB750 Four
« Reply #10108 on: April 27, 2012, 05:57:20 pm »
Rode the K6 to work. On the way home took a few pics at Hagen Stone Park.

tres bon

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
  • Helmets Save Lives. Period.
« Reply #10109 on: April 27, 2012, 06:28:14 pm »
(on the ZRX) During the morning commute I pulled to the left to pass 4 cars and.....broke my throttle cable. The wire was dry,rusty and brittle = loser pushing a 500lb bike 600feet up hill. Now my back is sore and I am borrowing my father in laws truck. UG.

not to self and others. LUBRICATE EVERYTHING!!! THESE ARE MACHINES!!!

(first thing to go wrong with this bike since bought off showroom floor in 2001. Even still running the original battery) ****knock on wood****

Kaw 1200?  Freakin' love those bikes..ME WANTEE!  Let's see a pic.

Offline FrankenFrankenstuff

• Master
    • FrankenBike Stuff Store
« Reply #10110 on: April 27, 2012, 08:21:59 pm »

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10111 on: April 28, 2012, 04:58:58 am »
Well the weather forecast for tomorrow is crap with an extra helping of miserable, so I made hay while the sun shone today. A big box of BMW parts arrived on Tuesday, so I set about wrenching.

First job was re-instating the front brakes. As you can see, the master cylinder (which is mounted under the tank and remotely operated with a cool Magura cable lever) has been leaking for quite awhile.

Anyway, I popped the piston out and shoved my finget up the bore, and found a burr, so I turned some scrap aluminum into a cylinder hone, wrapped it in some 400 grit wet and dry abrasive paper and attached to my cordless drill, it made quick work of the burr.

After some bleeding, it was all good to go and I had brakes again!

The greatest weakness with these 1970's BMW's (and most European bikes from the era) was weak electrics. My previous R100RS was the same, the 220W alternator ouput was so low that I couldn't use lights during the day, which was a pain in winter, so when I saw the 450W conversion kit from Motorworks in Britain, I had to have it!

Stator installed, with new brushes and springs:

New Diode board:

Of course you need a new regulator, look at the difference in size between old and new!

So after all my blood, sweat and tears, did I achieve anything? You betcha! You are looking at something most old R100RS owners have never seen, 13.5 volts!

Yep, even with the 100W headlight on, at around 2000 RPM, it was still putting out 13 volts, amazing! It was expensive, but to be able to ride around town during the day with my lights on, and without flattening the battery is going to be awesome! More stuff to do tomorrow, but mostly cosmetic, which will be fun. Cheers, Terry. ;D

I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline ChuckG750f1

• Not your average, everyday, run-of-the-mill
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #10112 on: April 28, 2012, 05:16:22 am »
After taking a nice chilly ride 2 weeks ago, I noticed a lot of fork oil leaking past the seal on the right fork leg.  Ordered seals and was preparing to dive in...decided to try and "clean" the leaky seal first with a piece of thin plastic.  I can't believe how bad it was and now I can't get a drop of oil to show on the tube!!!  It took less than 5 minutes.
Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.
- John Wayne

1976 CB750 f1
1995 HD Softail Custom

Offline Really?

• I've come to the conclusion that I AM a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10113 on: April 28, 2012, 08:43:05 am »
Been trying to get little white stains out of the seat from someone going crazy with their windshield wiper fluid while the bike in the back of the truck.  The Mequires leather wipes I have are working but really slow.  It is like the vinyl has to soak it up to lift the stain out.

That stuff stained the paint too.  Had to use Mequires cleaner wax to get those out.

Yes, I like Mequires products.  :)
I don't have a motorcycle, sold it ('85 Yamaha Venture Royale).  Haven't had a CB750 for over 40 years.

The Wife's Bike - 750K5
The Kid's Bike - 750K3

Offline strynboen

• Old Timer
    • http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=1ffrtj6c6v6de5vad1kc02hbe5&/topic,60973.0.html
« Reply #10114 on: April 28, 2012, 09:10:03 am »
that bosch regulator are used on volvo cars...uh that is big for a mc...but can take 55a load..in a car
think they uses magura  handels in fokker wolf 190 for 60 years ago..its kvality
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 09:13:19 am by strynboen »
i kan not speak english/but trying!!
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60973.0
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=144758.0
i hate all this v-w.... vords

Offline fire113

• Expert
« Reply #10115 on: April 28, 2012, 12:39:57 pm »
Beautiful work Georg, that bike is gonna be hard to look at on a sunny day! ;D

Hi Terry,

...there will be no problem with good sunglasses  8)
Ah, now I can see what parts You have bought for the BMW, may be I buy the 100RT and the CB  ;D

Drove ~100Km with my K1 and gave her fresh gas.

Have a good on mate...Georg

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10116 on: April 28, 2012, 02:58:56 pm »
that bosch regulator are used on volvo cars...uh that is big for a mc...but can take 55a load..in a car
think they uses magura  handels in fokker wolf 190 for 60 years ago..its kvality

Ha ha, thanks mate, I've got an article on upgrading BMW electrics somewhere, written by a BMW club member in England, the first thing he suggests is to replace the Bosch regulator with a Honda CB750 item! Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #10117 on: April 28, 2012, 03:26:24 pm »
Rode to pawn shop to move along some FFL business. My brake pads were supposed to be at the bike store but nay nay:). Shipping came sans my break pads :(
Lathing passenger pegs for Dorothy now.

Offline Roach Carver

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10118 on: April 28, 2012, 04:09:33 pm »
Terry, look at you with your fancy new parts. Im jealous. If you decide to tour the u.s. I know a guy in australia with a BMW stashed over here.

Offline WhyNot2

• I'm finally an
  • Master
« Reply #10119 on: April 28, 2012, 04:24:39 pm »
threw the timing light onto her again.
If it ain't raining, I'm riding.....~~{iii}?~~prost

If it sounds like I know what I'm talking about, it's because I cut and pasted from someone else.

Offline piute

• Piute
  • TRICK OR TREAT...B....es
« Reply #10120 on: April 28, 2012, 05:38:32 pm »

Put on some S.S. brake lines from Slingshot cycles
  Smoke cvrs,new copper,flushed out with alcohol,changed over to DOT 4.
 what A pain in the azz bleeding them,rear was taking fo ever,
till the master Paul come over and used a syringe on it,
I did what he did to front ready for bleeding final bleeding now,
Let Paul do the final with oiler and me there to clean any mess not to ruin fresh paint.
 Next put carbs back on.gave them a good dues
Ride to live Live for Jesus
1977 750 F2

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10121 on: April 29, 2012, 12:40:37 am »
Terry, look at you with your fancy new parts. Im jealous. If you decide to tour the u.s. I know a guy in australia with a BMW stashed over here.

Ha ha, that sounds great mate, when I finally stop buying bikes long enough to come visit the US, I'll certainly look you up, I've always wanted to ride across the US, and a BMW would be a good bike to do it on. ;D

Well more to do on the R100RS today, the rocker covers were malting, so I stripped them, etch primered them, and coated them with epoxy enamel and baked them for a couple of hours at 100 Deg C.

The original seat has seen better days, so I bought a new one along with some other parts, and installed it.

And last, but not least, I replaced the OEM footpeg rubbers with new ones, just to tidy it up.

All in all, a productive weekend! Cheers, Terry. ;D

maduncle

« Reply #10122 on: April 29, 2012, 03:26:39 am »

Looking good Terry - I have seen two of those model BMW's at work since you got yours - both in black.

BTW - I am off to America on 8th July for work - San Francisco for five days, then Denver for four days, then Buffalo for two days, then upstate New york to visit a fellow CB450 builder, then meeting my wife in NYC for ten days holiday.

And I am taking an empty suitcase for parts!

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10123 on: April 29, 2012, 04:00:30 am »

Looking good Terry - I have seen two of those model BMW's at work since you got yours - both in black.

BTW - I am off to America on 8th July for work - San Francisco for five days, then Denver for four days, then Buffalo for two days, then upstate New york to visit a fellow CB450 builder, then meeting my wife in NYC for ten days holiday.

You lucky bugger, I've got a CB750 sitting in Modesto, you couldn't pick it up and drop it off in LA for me could you? ;D

maduncle

« Reply #10124 on: April 29, 2012, 04:05:46 am »

You lucky bugger, I've got a CB750 sitting in Modesto, you couldn't pick it up and drop it off in LA for me could you? ;D

If it is running and I can get my hands on a lid and some gloves...